Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

mystes posted:

If I own a house can I demand that the local government block off the street in front of it and only let bikes/pedestrians through?

It's super possible without government support to modify a road so that only bikes and pedestrians can get through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
https://twitter.com/ebottcher/status/1493807753164468230?t=j_VFXQk3H4zu4G9b8SHYjQ&s=19
:frogbon:
I don't use meal delivery services beyond when I'm with some lazy fuckers who don't want to get pickup, but it certainly feels like bike and electric unicycles are way faster than the equivalent car deliverers, at least in my very urban neighborhood. Plus they're safer for other street users, vastly cheaper for the deliverer, and better for the environment!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

https://twitter.com/ebottcher/status/1493807753164468230?t=j_VFXQk3H4zu4G9b8SHYjQ&s=19
:frogbon:
I don't use meal delivery services beyond when I'm with some lazy fuckers who don't want to get pickup, but it certainly feels like bike and electric unicycles are way faster than the equivalent car deliverers, at least in my very urban neighborhood. Plus they're safer for other street users, vastly cheaper for the deliverer, and better for the environment!
Nice

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

https://twitter.com/wusa9/status/1494137274510213124

lol. lmao. this is a densely populated downtown area. find the driver and :commissar:

edit- in case it's not clear, that white blur in the frame is the car in question

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

This is so cool

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

https://twitter.com/wusa9/status/1494137274510213124

lol. lmao. this is a densely populated downtown area. find the driver and :commissar:

edit- in case it's not clear, that white blur in the frame is the car in question

Why don't we have a war on people who drive like assholes. I mean I assume we'd still lose it but at least people like drugs

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/MattWSB/status/1494154139458228225?s=20&t=4Uj3ECqtsQh36gy9VeNH9w

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

crashing into homes AND threatening people

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
just drag poo poo into the street at this point imo. It's a life or death situation that calls for a bit more than voting or sending some emails

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

if you make someone move to the right lane to pass you, you’re as good as dead

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

car brain runs so deep in most people that they actually think speeding is good. i posted here a while back about how it would be trivially easy to eliminate speeding if the govt actually cared and immediately some poster was like b..b..but that would be so unsafe if you couldn't go over the speed limit, no one would be able to pass!!! ok good you stupid gently caress don't pass then.

why does driving a car turn people into crazy assholes? like if you are waiting in bad traffic, people are always jockeying for position and cutting in front of you to save fractions of a second on their drive. if you are waiting in line at a store you don't just cut in front of people, and yet in a car which is 1000x more dangerous than waiting in a queue at a grocery store people lose all pretense of manners and do everything they can to beat you in some imaginary race.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Norton posted:

car brain runs so deep in most people that they actually think speeding is good. i posted here a while back about how it would be trivially easy to eliminate speeding if the govt actually cared and immediately some poster was like b..b..but that would be so unsafe if you couldn't go over the speed limit, no one would be able to pass!!! ok good you stupid gently caress don't pass then.

why does driving a car turn people into crazy assholes? like if you are waiting in bad traffic, people are always jockeying for position and cutting in front of you to save fractions of a second on their drive. if you are waiting in line at a store you don't just cut in front of people, and yet in a car which is 1000x more dangerous than waiting in a queue at a grocery store people lose all pretense of manners and do everything they can to beat you in some imaginary race.

Local government has already achieved this, only for e scooters though, not cars

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

In europe they've come up with a standard (pedelec or something) for what it means for powered vehicle to be safe. It only applies to e-bikes though, not cars

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Norton posted:

I like the threads about traffic on my local subreddits because they're mostly a bunch of people frothing at the mouth over the occasional driver who isn't speeding like they are. I was an impatient driver when I was younger, but I realized one day that it was unnecessary stress, and I just stopped hurrying while driving. That stress and anger is completely up to you.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Norton posted:

:yeah:
Stop the rat race. gently caress cars.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you want to drive slow, that's fine, but don't drive in the leftmost lane. I don't think speeding is or should be mandatory but I do think people who want to drive slower should stay to the right.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you want to drive slow, that's fine, but don't drive in the leftmost lane. I don't think speeding is or should be mandatory but I do think people who want to drive slower should stay to the right.

I'm doing 90 mph, and I'm saying this to you doing 80 mph

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Serious question: why though? It reads to me like this is just one of those things that's been beaten into peoples' heads about driving, but ultimately has no purpose beyond enabling speeding. There aren't other social situations where we demand everyone behave to accommodate the most impatient person. Imagine the same dynamic at the grocery store queue: everyone standing in line, waiting their turn, then some loving rear end in a top hat barreling through to jump the queue on one side. We've created an insane norm where it's the person who impedes the queue-jumper that gets universal derision.

There should be no such thing as a passing lane.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

this is many, many times more dangerous than firing a gun down the street - but will never be treated as such in the USA

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Norton posted:

yeah it's always revealing to consider the way people behave in cars vs how they behave on the metro. even when it's peak commuting hours on the train and everyone is squeezed in people are still pretty unfailingly polite and help each other make more room, clear paths to the doors, etc. you gotta figure some of these same people would happily kill each other to reach a red light a little bit faster when they're driving, it just brings out the absolutely loving worst in tons of people.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I generally avoid the left lane on highways because it's full of lunatics, but sometimes I have to use it to pass or make room for people entering the highway. Nearly every time I inhabit the left lane for even a moment I'm tailgated by an aggressive driver trying to do 90 mph even though I'm typically doing ~10 mph over the speed limit and am only there for a few moments. So when people complain about other drivers cruising too slowly in the left lane, I usually assume they're talking about literally anyone who was going slower than them for even a moment, and tbh gently caress those people.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

yeah it's always revealing to consider the way people behave in cars vs how they behave on the metro. even when it's peak commuting hours on the train and everyone is squeezed in people are still pretty unfailingly polite and help each other make more room, clear paths to the doors, etc.

cars give the false illusion of complete privacy. people act like maniacs because they think nobody can see them

i have a theory that this is a big reason lots of drivers inherently rage at cyclists. drivers expect to look around and see smooth steel boxes, but when they encounter a cyclist they see a human face looking directly at them, which completely shatters their illusion of privacy

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

cars give the false illusion of complete privacy. people act like maniacs because they think nobody can see them

and it's constantly reinforcing itself. because you are relatively isolated and can rapidly distance yourself from your target of ire, it's very rare that you will actually encounter any pushback for being an angry lunatic towards someone that is doing 1 under the speed limit. as a result, people train their brains over time: this is the rage box. once you climb inside and get on the road, it is okay and normal to be in a constant state of rage.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Cugel the Clever posted:

Serious question: why though? It reads to me like this is just one of those things that's been beaten into peoples' heads about driving, but ultimately has no purpose beyond enabling speeding. There aren't other social situations where we demand everyone behave to accommodate the most impatient person. Imagine the same dynamic at the grocery store queue: everyone standing in line, waiting their turn, then some loving rear end in a top hat barreling through to jump the queue on one side. We've created an insane norm where it's the person who impedes the queue-jumper that gets universal derision.

There should be no such thing as a passing lane.

Because a traffic flow pattern where each lane speeds up as it goes left lets everyone drive their desired speed with minimal disruption to the traffic flow pattern, even those that want to go under the speed limit. Keeping lanes at different speeds also prevents scenarios where someone is camped in your blind spot until you forget about them.

Once again, traffic flow is a high stakes fluid dynamics simulation. If you want to be a good particle in the flow, you think about the motion of the fluid. The highway is not a place for moralizing, it is a place where you're simply trying not to die. If you choose to go slower or at the same speed as someone to your right, you're endangering everyone around you. If traffic flow is broken and lanes are moving the same speed, your goal is to create a lattice and keep out of anyone's blind spot.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Once again, traffic flow is a high stakes fluid dynamics simulation.
Sounds like the highway is a hellscape that shouldn't exist if people lose all ability to make decisions and are unable to restrain themselves from driving as fast as they feel they can get away with :shrug:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

Sounds like the highway is a hellscape that shouldn't exist if people lose all ability to make decisions and are unable to restrain themselves from driving as fast as they feel they can get away with :shrug:

I will simply clap my hands and make the hellscape disappear.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
In Quebec, the left lane being a passing lane is only a thing on highways with speeds of 90 km/hr (55 mph) or above, but people act as if it's a rule even on city boulevards.

gently caress car brains.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I will simply clap my hands and make the hellscape disappear.
What's different about the highway versus the line at the grocery store that makes the former a place where we just accept that people lose their minds? Surely there are structural and behavioral changes that can be made to rein in the free-for-all?

I get you're describing the situation as is, but, when done in response to talk about changing it, it does come off as endorsing the status quo.

Allowing the highways be speedways absolutely had a contagion effect on all our streets.

Edit: imagine a police brutality thread where someone walks in and says "this isn't a normative argument, but cops killing people is just the way it is, there's no hope for solving the problem"

Cugel the Clever has issued a correction as of 19:30 on Feb 17, 2022

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

What's different about the highway versus the line at the grocery store that makes the former a place where we just accept that people lose their minds? Surely there are structural and behavioral changes that can be made to rein in the free-for-all?

I get you're describing the situation as is, but, when done in response to talk about changing it, it does come off as endorsing the status quo.

Allowing the highways be speedways absolutely had a contagion effect on all our streets.

The line in the grocery store isn't a life or death situation. If you want to change the highway system, you don't drive the speed limit in the left lane. You get rid of highways.

Thinking that you are affecting change by policing other drivers is naive. You won't change them as long as they're in a car. That's even worse than endorsing the status quo. Not only is it completely ineffective at creating some sort of change, it's also dangerous.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Thinking that you are affecting change by policing other drivers is naive. You won't change them as long as they're in a car. That's even worse than endorsing the status quo. Not only is it completely ineffective at creating some sort of change, it's also dangerous.
This is not the subject of discussion on this page, though?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
cugel the clever wants to drive like other peoples driving behavior does not matter so there ya go

the truth is people drive like loving psychos and you have to change your behavior to compensate

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

By all means protect yourself by staying out of the left lane, but the framing always blames the slow drivers, not the psychos, even in this thread.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I think youll find the position of people in this thread is a bit more nuanced than that. As far as specific behaviors go the "getting mad at slow people" constitutes two entirely different things. Obviously the guy with the Frasier avatar is full of carbrained poo poo, but that doesn't mean cruising along in the right lane completely ignorant of the speed of traffic whipping by you is AOK either.

actually none of it is okay it all loving sucks! but we make do by being as absolutely safe as possible

edit: the "dont go slow in the left lane" complaint is kinda like a dog whistle for "why wont people let me treat the left lane like the autobahn"

Jokerpilled Drudge has issued a correction as of 19:56 on Feb 17, 2022

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

RE: Left lane speeding.

Elevators aren’t roads, but here’s a study that shows a ~30% increase in throughput on an escalator by getting people to use both sides instead of staying right to let walkers up.

Lines up pretty well to the car conversation, especially this part:

quote:

5.2 Customer Feedback
5.2.1 Customer Contact Centre and Email
Six customers gave feedback received via the Customer Contact Centre and seven customers from other sources (e.g. phone or direct email). Recurring themes were that the tests would not work (to relieve congestion); people feel deprived of the choice to walk and/or exercise; and that it delays their journey. Three customers understood and supported the tests, but felt that the choice to walk up at least one escalator should remain.

https://liftsymposium.org/download/LiftandEscalatorSymposiumProceedings2016.pdf

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I demand the right to hold up the party because I’m in a hurry.

E: Quote != Edit.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

People get places faster when you get out of their way so that they can go dangerous speeds, yeah.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I generally avoid the left lane on highways because it's full of lunatics, but sometimes I have to use it to pass or make room for people entering the highway. Nearly every time I inhabit the left lane for even a moment I'm tailgated by an aggressive driver trying to do 90 mph even though I'm typically doing ~10 mph over the speed limit and am only there for a few moments. So when people complain about other drivers cruising too slowly in the left lane, I usually assume they're talking about literally anyone who was going slower than them for even a moment, and tbh gently caress those people.

:same:

I had some insanityperson do this to me last year. I was passing a semi in the middle lane, and it took me 10-15 seconds for my complete pass. They must have veered across three lanes from the right to get behind me without noticing. I tend to never get in the left lane unless I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to pass before I'd get tailgated by a SUV/brodozer. As soon as I get two-three car lengths ahead of the semi, I use my signal and move back to the center/cruise lane. This person also moves to the center lane at the same time, then veers back to the left lane, slows up alongside me, flips me off, then motors down to the next bit of traffic. She then veers all the way to the right lane to try to go around the slow traffic in the outer lanes but hits a snag (slow driver) in the right lane. This brings up another pet peeve of mine: driving the speed limit in the far right lane. You will still get dozens/hundreds of people flying into that lane to pass on the right, because the people passing on the left are doing so at 86 not 88 mph. You can't escape these awful drivers anymore with even the best defensive driving. This sucks.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

gently caress you and gently caress off, car lover

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
The passing lane argument is similar to the "most accidents caused by driver error" argument: yeah, it's mostly the psychopaths who cause problems when you don't use the passing lane (like it's mostly the psychopaths who cause problems with "driver error"), but that means we have to drive in such a way as to minimize the damage done by the psychopaths (just like we need to start designing roads and vehicles around the fact that people drive like psychopaths). You should only use the passing lane for passing.

https://youtu.be/4oqfodY2Lz0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

people who want to drive slower should stay to the right.

another issue with drivers is that they have no idea how much time they save or lose by going faster

most of the time drivers rage out because they got stuck behind a car or a bike, it added like <20 seconds total to their trip