Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Thought this was a teaser but it's out now, with an exobiology expedition to follow "shortly".

Multitool cap upped from 3 to 6, "royal" (exotic) multitools, companions upped from 6 to 18, active camo and a couple new weapon types for the multitool, exomech assistant AI and upgradeable setinel-based exomech components, exomech control has been "overhauled" with a faster turning radius and the ability to, uh, walk backwards

Looks like several new setinel drone enemy types too

this is one hell of an update to drop out of literally nowhere lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Thought this was a teaser but it's out now, with an exobiology expedition to follow "shortly".

Multitool cap upped from 3 to 6, "royal" (exotic) multitools, companions upped from 6 to 18, active camo and a couple new weapon types for the multitool, exomech assistant AI and upgradeable setinel-based exomech components, exomech control has been "overhauled" with a faster turning radius and the ability to, uh, walk backwards

Looks like several new setinel drone enemy types too

this is one hell of an update to drop out of literally nowhere lol

Yea I’m curious to hop in when I get home tonight. The mechs look pretty rad, hopefully there’s some customizing options so I can recreate some Battlemechs :getin:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

- Plasma Grenades now deal only 10% of their full damage to the player who fired them, reducing the risk of a fatal accident.

patch note presented without comment because I'm too busy saying thank god irl

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

patch note presented without comment because I'm too busy saying thank god irl

Literally 999 of my 1000 deaths in this game.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I was wondering what they would do for the next patch. This is quite a pleasant surprise.

Are the dragon-wing jetpack cosmetics in the trailer new as well? Looks like one of the people streaming on YouTube right now also has a different set of wing cosmetics on their back too, I haven't seen any of that before.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The dragon wing jetpack is new and a reward for the upcoming expedition; a couple other jetpack styles have come out from previous expeditions/as quicksilver rewards.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Any changes to space combat or just on-foot?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just on foot I think. Kinda weird of them to frame it as changes to combat when there was barely any combat before at all. All I want is reloading to be easier in VR, really. Not sure why they're leaning on mechs so hard either, all they do is slow you down. Maybe there's a big roleplaying community who get a kick out of it or something.

Still, yet another free update out of the blue, that alone is worth commending them for.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hopefully space combat is next on their agenda becauae it is Not Good

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

hopefully space combat is next on their agenda becauae it is Not Good

How would they improve it? I mean I agree it does feel pretty limited but I'm not sure exactly how.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Patch Notes posted:

The underlying navigation of both planetary creatures and Sentinel enemies has been significantly improved, bringing better and more realistic behaviours, as well as allowing Sentinels to hunt the player within buildings and in caves.

There goes my primary way of avoiding Sentinels when raiding production depots.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

bgreman posted:

There goes my primary way of avoiding Sentinels when raiding production depots.

gently caress. I liked the dummy ai

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

How would they improve it? I mean I agree it does feel pretty limited but I'm not sure exactly how.

better flight model, more interesting weapons, more interesting enemies, formation fighting, convoys of freighters you can intercept and raid maybe with friends or ai wingmen, capital ship vs. capital ship battles, increased ability to customize ship, etc. tons of ways

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Earwicker posted:

better flight model, more interesting weapons, more interesting enemies, formation fighting, convoys of freighters you can intercept and raid maybe with friends or ai wingmen, capital ship vs. capital ship battles, increased ability to customize ship, etc. tons of ways

The first two are there already I think. The other stuff would be cool though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Stare-Out posted:

Make it feel like Elite Dangerous and I’ll never need another game.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Horrors are still idiots though, you can just jetpack on top of a building and shoot them as usual.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
When they said they buffed the mech's turning radius they weren't kidding, the thing pivots on a dime now. It's siginificantly more convenient to steer now, with a turn rate about on par or better than the wheeled exocraft options.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

also, as far as ive seen, all ship combat occurs in space in exactly the same kind of random encounters. so it could definitely be expanded to include fighting in the atmosphere of planets, like trading posts defending themselves against pirates or whoever, and also include ship vs. ground vehicle/building missions and battles

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Yeah, all pirate bounties are pretty much the same. I have fun with them, but they’re not terribly challenging. Maybe the higher difficulty ones could eventually incorporate a pirate frigate you have to take down?

I agree that the freighter/frigate aspects of the game could use an extensive upgrade like this. The rerun of the Normandy expedition giving a free freighter was a big part of what made the game finally stick for me. I know the difference is only marginal, but I would like to be able to upgrade my freighter from C all the way to S-class anyway, even if it were a proportionally bigger grind. It would be seriously cool to dock with my frigates and join them on a mission, rather than getting a dry if sometimes humorous list of mission results the next time I play. And directly commanding your freighter and frigates in combat would be the ultimate, although I believe it’s still only one player freighter per system?

It feels like they’ve got the framework in place to keep improving this game for a long time. I hope the sales and attention bumps from these periodic updates are enough to keep it going.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Don't worry you can still blast the door with your ship and fly away without any fear then come back.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TheWorldsaStage posted:

They are still exceptionally dummy, I did the usual "blast the door open and walk in" and they did the usual "fly in and look around but can't see or shoot me"

I actually don't know what they "fixed" in that regard lol

combat feels about the same, I think the only real thing they did was "significantly nerf plasma grenades/shotguns" but holy hell the AI mech with a cannon can snipe with those slow projectiles like a motherfucker, it's rad as hell and draws fire and appears to be effectively immortal if you're not in it

sentinel waves don't spawn forever anymore, just 5 waves and then they shut down planetwide in surrender and give you coordinates to the nearest sentinel pillar to loot for lore and a multitool cabinet

i haven't played with the stealth functionality or the "bonus damage on stun" since I need to hunt down some basalt for it yet, but plasma grenades still knock things out fast enough that they're still probably the "endgame" of weapons without switching

bugs aside my biggest complaint is probably the fact that since some of the sentinels can do terrain deforming attacks I keep strafing into holes I can't see, if they hadn't nerfed self plasma damage I would have absolutely killed myself a dozen times over from grenading right when I drop into a hole lol

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

The update broke my game. I'm getting constant dips to 10FPS on planet and in space, down from my usual 90-140. I'm still getting 140 on space stations though.

Logitech lost my mouse profile too. That's on Logitech's horrible software though.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Just got the game, and it's got me in its clutches. So, here's my first mod question:

I'm following the tutorial up to the point where I built my crappy hut on my ugly planet, and I'm really taken with how frequent and just low to the ground other space planes are flying. They fly so often I figure this planet must have a greater population than earth, which of course it doesn't. This place is a wasteland, and it's ugly.

Is there a mod to lessen this, get rid of it, or maybe have them fly at a more realistic altitude? Just lines in the sky is good enough, NMS.

This assumes, though, that flybys are constant at every planet, regardless of population. Maybe they become more realistic once I get to a certain point in the main questline.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

the plot has no impact on the ship amount. that does vary depending on the system's economy, and they are rare in uninhabited systems.

you might be getting the max number if you are near a trade outpost in a three star economy system. you can follow the ships and they might lead you to an outpost. no idea about mods since i'm on playstation.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

doctorfrog posted:

Just got the game, and it's got me in its clutches. So, here's my first mod question:

I'm following the tutorial up to the point where I built my crappy hut on my ugly planet, and I'm really taken with how frequent and just low to the ground other space planes are flying. They fly so often I figure this planet must have a greater population than earth, which of course it doesn't. This place is a wasteland, and it's ugly.

Is there a mod to lessen this, get rid of it, or maybe have them fly at a more realistic altitude? Just lines in the sky is good enough, NMS.

This assumes, though, that flybys are constant at every planet, regardless of population. Maybe they become more realistic once I get to a certain point in the main questline.

Initially, I was bugged for the same reasons you are. I just accepted it and treat NMS as a fantasy sci-fi game. Almost every single planet has life, almost every single planet has settlements and traffic, every single system has a giant rear end space station, every single system has multiple planets that are pretty close to each other. There are other games which probably represent space as much more barren and empty.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I guess pre release they had more realistic distribution but it ended up being really unfun.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Honestly if there are some planets that are just dead that could be an exploration goal. (Don't spoil me tho)

Failing that I don't mind a mod that would do the trick. I'll search later.

Or hey if I want a dead universe I could just play Elite Dangerous. :classiclol:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i wouldnt say the flybys are ever "realistic" but they certainly do better on flatter planets, and there are planets where they are less frequent

mountains were a fairly late addition to the game and the ai ships never learned to handle them well, they often clip right through the ground on planets with any kind of interesting topography

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
There are rear end in a top hat AI ships that clip right through my base sometimes. I wish you could shoot them down. Maybe in a "Get off my lawn!" update.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Node posted:

There are rear end in a top hat AI ships that clip right through my base sometimes. I wish you could shoot them down. Maybe in a "Get off my lawn!" update.

I had one land on my dedicated landing pad, in my drat settlement, as I was trying to land there :mad:

The resulting debris after my quick strafe flyby made my yard look almost southern, for a minute :twisted:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Well, I finally did this.

Turns out I had to use a controller to select the galaxy center because there's a weird thing where it won't highlight properly in the free camera.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

doctorfrog posted:

Honestly if there are some planets that are just dead that could be an exploration goal. (Don't spoil me tho)

Failing that I don't mind a mod that would do the trick. I'll search later.

Or hey if I want a dead universe I could just play Elite Dangerous. :classiclol:

It was last updated for 3.5 so might not work but there's this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/1621

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I got one of those new royal multitools. It wasn't great, c class and maybe 18 slots. When I started the game up today, it's turned into an alien pistol with something like 8 slots. Bug or feature?

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Latest Patch Notes posted:

Fixed an issue that could cause all Multi-Tools to become Royal Multi-Tools after reloading a save with a Royal Multi-Tool equipped. Pre-existing Multi-Tools have been completely restored to their correct appearance. Unfortunately, some newly acquired Royal Multi-Tools may have changed appearance.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Thank you.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Has the Exobiology expedition started? I haven't played for 6 months or so and it's telling me the expedition is complete. Tried deleting my cache but nada. Wife is having the same problem.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Pretty sure the expedition hasnt started yet.

I'm getting the same thing you are. Just says expedition complete and cant start a new save in it.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

I've played this game for years. YEARS. S-rank everything, all the achievements, multiple bases in multiple galaxies.

Just now figured out the reason my freighter's Orbital Exocraft Materialiser hasn't been working this whole time is because whenever I built Exocraft Summoning Stations to spawn in my vehicles, I would always destroy them afterwards to get back the building materials. Turns out you need a vehicle's summoning station to be built somewhere for your freighter to be able to spawn that vehicle in anywhere.

God I'm stupid.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I finally found an S-rank largest sized Venator freighter, and when that behemoth is orbiting above my base taking up half the god drat sky I just :awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I recently saved up the nanites to upgrade ROU Perfect Aesthetic (my main ship, a neat little white and metallic purple fighter) from A to S class, and now I'm farming exotic ships to scrap for storage upgrades.

:feelsgood: