Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jabor posted:

Swapping your dirty bitcoins for someone else's dirty bitcoins doesn't seem like it actually helps unless you're such a small-timer that law enforcement doesn't actually care to investigate.

The feds were able to trace the bitcoins from the bitfinex hack even though they went through a whole bunch of mixers, exchanges, and other cryptocurrencies (including supposed privacy coins).

I'm assuming an adversary a little more sophisticated than this, granted: https://twitter.com/puttinyadown/status/1491104089971003393

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Potato Salad posted:

The Bitfinex cash--fiat--was also laundered by stupid people lacking the sense or connections to do it right.

Had they approached Deutsche Bank, they'd be unencumbered by legal trouble right now.

I'm suddenly hit with this vision from an alternate universe SNL: "Dobche Tank: The Money Laundering People"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it's all stupid, underinformed people thinking they've come up with new ideas, not realizing that there's a whole lot of really good reasons to involve established criminal enterprise

had they approached any number of unscrupulous but still obviously free parties domestically, or even just reached out over a goddamn forum to a crypto extortion payment servicer to hammer out a deal to help launder the coins, they might actually have been able to sacrifice a little bit of the Bitcoin wallet in exchange for essentially guaranteed and anonymity on the other end

had they established any number of banks that are somehow still allowed to operate domestically that have long histories of doing good jobs laundering fiat with only occasional slip ups when the customer gets way too loving greedy and obvious, they'd have gone unnoticed or unharassed by law enforcement

it's just stupid people who are either too loving dumb to realize that there's more to it than what they read on Elon Musk's Twitter wall, or too greedy to involve good criminal experts

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

like, Jesus Christ has anybody ever given two shakes of a brain cell regarding why the entire loving Trump family is still allowed to do business domestically

I'm talking about poo poo that happened before 2010

go loving talk to THEIR people if you're some techno-chud who doesn't trust :airquote: the establishment :airquote:

they weren't even particularly good at what they do, and it worked just fine for them

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

20 year old dumb internet nerds typically don't know how to get in touch with real criminals.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

KillHour posted:

20 year old dumb internet nerds typically don't know how to get in touch with real criminals.

I mean, how hard is it if you're intellectually honest with yourself to keep up with current events, ask for a $5,000 plate audience with Eric or whatever the other male kid is named, and say "I need help laundering a hundred million in Bitcoin and I noticed that your man Paul got off pretty easy"

that's like, if you were even remotely aware of one of the worst case scenarios too

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

or apparently, if my memory serves correctly to one of the more recent times Wells Fargo was caught laundering cartel money, just place a phone call to a central office

"I have nine figures of assets I need tax advice with"

you will get a call back in 15 minutes, a helicopter ride by close of business day

I just checked and this appears to be the serious infosec thread, so I guess uhhhhhhhh this is all totally in scope because it concerns common practices of the competent criminal enterprises that are facilitating the tax games played by your employer's executives engaging your environments.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 17, 2022

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

or apparently, if my memory serves correctly to one of the more recent times Wells Fargo was caught laundering cartel money, just place a phone call to a central office

you will get a call back in 15 minutes, a helicopter ride by close of business day

I just checked and this appears to be the serious infosec thread, so I guess uhhhhhhhh this is all totally in scope because it concerns common practices of the competent criminal enterprises that are facilitating the tax games played by your employer's executives engaging your environments.

Your vulnerability report is Out of Scope and not eligible for a reward.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Potato Salad posted:

yeah I confused it for the cyberpunk dystopia thread at first too lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's also a ZIP file, and a PCAP-NG packet capture.

A buddy of mine used to distribute a PDF of their resume that was also an ISO of their hobby operating system that, upon booting, would open a PDF viewer with their resume in it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kazinsal posted:

A buddy of mine used to distribute a PDF of their resume that was also an ISO of their hobby operating system that, upon booting, would open a PDF viewer with their resume in it.

I have a little ESP32 with a coin cell that when you press a button, offers you an open Access Point with a simple Website where you can view and download my PDF resume. Was fun making that.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Potato Salad posted:

it's just stupid people who are either too loving dumb to realize that there's more to it than what they read on Elon Musk's Twitter wall, or too greedy to involve good criminal experts

While there's some truth to this, also note that the good 'ol USG was able to not only trace down, but actually recover a good chunk of the crypto ransom paid out in the whole Colonial Pipeline deal: it's becoming more and more apparent that the "anonymity built into the system" of most coins is...not as strong as it's made out to be.

I mean, it's clearly not trivial to trace things around, but if you get the FBI pissed at you, they've done it a few times now, and they weren't all just idiot teens / teen-wannabes. And they're just gonna get better at it as time goes on.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nothing can be both truly anonymous and public. Crypto runs off a ledger where every transaction is available, so it's security through obscurity at best. Sure, you can move things around a lot and make it hard to follow the trails, but it's all there if you look hard enough.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

KillHour posted:

Nothing can be both truly anonymous and public. Crypto runs off a ledger where every transaction is available, so it's security through obscurity at best. Sure, you can move things around a lot and make it hard to follow the trails, but it's all there if you look hard enough.

And yet scams are absolutely rampant and people lose their shirt every day. Hardly any of them are going to jail.

We're talking about a system where people can insert viruses into your wallet and you can't delete them and if you interact with them in any way they empty your account and send all your money to the hacker.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

And yet scams are absolutely rampant and people lose their shirt every day. Hardly any of them are going to jail.

We're talking about a system where people can insert viruses into your wallet and you can't delete them and if you interact with them in any way they empty your account and send all your money to the hacker.

Oh it's a bad system for sure. It just is also not the perfect anonymous hiding place idiots who don't know how to launder money think it is.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
its security through obscurity in a nutshell and it doesnt hold up if you get three letter agencies looking for you

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

If you want to see some astonishing uses of steganography (which all of these are a class of), there are some spoilers for issues 0x01, 0x02, 0x03, 0x04, and 0x05 - all of which are just buck loving wild.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yes, but none of that is because the people doing it are inherently untraceable. It's because no one with any enforcement power gives a gently caress: it's all entirely unregulated, and the joy of not having any legal structure around it (because why would you want laws involved in a decentralized lolbertarian wet dream?) is that when some random dude exit scams you of your money, you don't have anyone to complain to.

And then, yeah, also the typical issues of international crime and jurisdiction and yadda yadda even in the event that you could argue that an actual crime had been committed (like hacks of platforms and such).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

I have a little ESP32 with a coin cell that when you press a button, offers you an open Access Point with a simple Website where you can view and download my PDF resume. Was fun making that.
how does one find the website?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Captive portal, maybe?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Captive portal, maybe?

This. If you join the access point it redirects you to the main page:

https://iotespresso.com/create-captive-portal-using-esp32/

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

PDF is child's play. Designed as an append-to-update format, compliant viewers are supposed to seek to the end of the file and find the pointer to the most recent xref table. This means you can basically put anything at the beginning of it. This is to say nothing of the vulnerabilities introduced by various extensions to the format that you can drive a truck through.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

DrDork posted:

While there's some truth to this, also note that the good 'ol USG was able to not only trace down, but actually recover a good chunk of the crypto ransom paid out in the whole Colonial Pipeline deal

it has been speculated that was a specific situation where key material was available over the wire

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

quality of the opsec in each crime is going to be widely variable

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm in Singapore, and I (and the police here) can tell you people are really really stupid when it comes to scams that they have been warned about for a decade day-in, day-out

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jabor posted:

Swapping your dirty bitcoins for someone else's dirty bitcoins doesn't seem like it actually helps

Excuse me but I would appreciate it if you did not kink shame here, thanks

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I'm currently looking for startups working on solutions in the field of "automated compliance" to assist in a tech report of developments in the last year or two.

https://brighter.ai/ is one of my favourites so far.

Does anybody else have any suggestions?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
That seems pretty cool!

I know some folks who work here:

https://www.immuta.com/

And that kinda seems like what you’re looking for?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ephex posted:

I'm currently looking for startups working on solutions in the field of "automated compliance" to assist in a tech report of developments in the last year or two.

https://brighter.ai/ is one of my favourites so far.

Does anybody else have any suggestions?

Vanta has some automation around evidence, and Very Good Security has some as well.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I know it goes without saying but now it's the time to send mass mails to your employees to warn about weird bullshit, start changing your anti spam filters to drop anything that is not covered by dmarc and so on. Russian state-aligned hackers are going to start hitting targets in nato-aligned countries in a short while IMHO.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SlowBloke posted:

I know it goes without saying but now it's the time to send mass mails to your employees to warn about weird bullshit, start changing your anti spam filters to drop anything that is not covered by dmarc and so on. Russian state-aligned hackers are going to start hitting targets in nato-aligned countries in a short while IMHO.

Going to start? :aloom:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

SlowBloke posted:

Lmao sorry to burst your bubble dude, but this has been going on for a decade and isn't new whatsoever. Clam down.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao sorry to burst your bubble dude, but this has been going on for a decade and isn't new whatsoever. Clam down.

I just wish it wasn't all so obvious

What kind of idiot believes the CEO is emailing them personally for their cell phone number?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

But if I answer and am helpful then the CEO will love me!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

RFC2324 posted:

What kind of idiot believes the CEO is emailing them personally for their cell phone number?

look i'm just so lonely

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sickening posted:

Going to start? :aloom:

I mean that they are going to intensify and possibly start hitting fields that were considered "not juicy enough" rather than targets of opportunity as until now. I'm going to start spooling up veeam tomorrow and anticipate our quarterly restore tests, kinda resigned to get cryptoed soon being in public sector :smith:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

RFC2324 posted:

If the company is small enough it is entirely probable that this has happened.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Hey maybe I can use this pending Russian/Ukraine war as an opportunity to get some proper email security software in place like Mimecast!

Just kidding, we dont even use demarc! Our customers have to be able to send email as us after all and nothing can ever go wrong with that....

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

RFC2324 posted:

I see it quite a bit with smaller companies that are run by assholes. If double-checking something is going to get you yelled at you're more likely to just email all the employees tax info to a scammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SlowBloke posted:

I mean that they are going to intensify and possibly start hitting fields that were considered "not juicy enough" rather than targets of opportunity as until now. I'm going to start spooling up veeam tomorrow and anticipate our quarterly restore tests, kinda resigned to get cryptoed soon being in public sector :smith:

I really, REALLY doubt that. I am sure they consider it all juicy.

If this is the kind of narrative to push objectives you should have already completed, I am all for it.