Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Everyone posted:

I posted about this upthread (or possibly in the other TV Star Wars thread). I think the Jedi enforced stability and the status quo. Technological advancement on a large scale can be destabilizing and requiring large changes in societies. Ditto religion/philosophy/art/etc. Figure if somebody had a big idea for teleportation, nanotech replicators, the end of scarcity and was making real progress in implementing it, the Jedi with their precognition/telepathy would track them down and "solve" this obvious "threat to peace."

Much like big pharma and a cancer cure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Book of Boba Fett was poo poo

The best episodes were the ones he wasn't in

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They can build a portable device (granted, inside a metal sphere that is the size of a minor planet) capable of producing enough energy to blow up a planet.

I'm betting that they just reached the limits of physics and that's it.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Andor got the Succession composer

https://twitter.com/filmmusicrep/status/1494065965377605634
I really dug his score for If Beale Street Could Talk

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

gently caress yeah I didn't know they were giving Diego Luna his own show, that's awesome because he's great

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

But if rumors are to be believed, Alan Tudyk isn't in it as K-2SO. So huge swing and a miss there.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

mdemone posted:

gently caress yeah I didn't know they were giving Diego Luna his own show, that's awesome because he's great

Great news, its a 12 episode show thats dropping this year AND they already greenlit a season 2 which is going to start filming this year. They use a lot of location filming like a normal production so it will be a bit different from the volume shows like Mando & Boba.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hazo posted:

But if rumors are to be believed, Alan Tudyk isn't in it as K-2SO. So huge swing and a miss there.

Ehhhh I think that character ran his course. I loved him obviously but we got his closure.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Maybe they're keeping it under wraps. They can get a season of K2 with a day or two of Tudyk in a soundbooth

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Tudyk's run voicing nonverbal animals in Disney movies has inflated his asking price, no doubt.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Jerkface posted:

They use a lot of location filming like a normal production so it will be a bit different from the volume shows like Mando & Boba.

This is what I've been most excited about. It looks like a huge scale movie production from all the bts stuff they've shown and fan shots of their filming locations.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
I know this isn't going to be a popular take but I think Grogu is already a drag on Star Wars TV shows because it is obvious that the marketing hype around him now drives decisions.

Another hot take... he isn't a great character to have around because he is a literal baby and the show constantly has to manage this weird line of infantilizing him and yet also having to treat him like an adult who makes his own decisions (ya let us ask the child what it wants to do, how responsible of all the adults in this show).
Imagine Grogu being a 6 year old human mute(!) girl that did everything Grogu does in the show and is treated in the same way and how weird it'd be.
All you ever hear is how "cute" he is and people drooling over his interactions with Din but there really isn't anything else to him because he is a literal baby (young child) for all intents and purposes, he has no character outside of being cute/adorable/innocent. So the TV shows now have to keep him in that state while still trying to attempt to somehow have stories with him as actual character. That is obviously doomed to fail because Grogu isn't a character, he is a feeling, a cosy emotion and as soon as you change that (he actually starts to talk and act like an adult) you risk losing your marketing toy.
I'm certainly cynical here but Grogu's whole thing feels kind of manipulative to a point that I've grown to dislike the sappy scenes between Din and him, they feel TOO close by this point.

To take another popular franchise with a father/child relationship... look at The Last of Us and how the relationship between Joel and Ellie is handled. You get some of the same strong and wholesome emotional moments but it isn't JUST that. I don't have a problem with Din warming up to Grogu or developing his fatherly side but by now Din has lost ALL his rough edges and there is zero conflict between him and Grogu, it's all too convenient.

It's pretty telling that they already decided to reset the status quo of Din/Grogu before S3 of The Mandalorian and it makes me wary about future seasons, not to mention that this whole Din/Grogu thing is already strechted thin after two seasons. It's a story that could and maybe should have been told and finished in one and if you are really creative you might get three out of it but let's not kid ourselves, Disney is going to run this thing into the ground and the signs for that are so obvious it hurts.

Maybe the Jedi were right afterall and now its the audience and Disney that has grown too attached to a(nother) character and we can't move on from that (just like this whole franchise can't seem to move on from its own past).

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I'm mad I saw this so it needs sharing

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I liked all Grogu's scenes, but you're right. Unlike what the Jedi claim, it isn't inevitable that attachment becomes obsession and selfishness in refusing to let something you "love" go free, but it is inevitable for corporations

pik_d posted:

I'm mad I saw this so it needs sharing

the graduation caps and diplomas complete this

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 17, 2022

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
The Jedi's hang ups about the corrupting nature of love and emotional attachments is a direct translation of the Lucas's hang up about love and attachment, at least at his age in the late 70s.

Anakin was an abusive, lovely boyfriend and his need control Amidala destroyed him and the Republic. Anakin never loved Amidala, he was obsessed with her as an idea.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Still holding my breath for a Mace Windu series.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Marsupial Ape posted:

The Jedi's hang ups about the corrupting nature of love and emotional attachments is a direct translation of the Lucas's hang up about love and attachment, at least at his age in the late 70s.

Anakin was an abusive, lovely boyfriend and his need control Amidala destroyed him and the Republic. Anakin never loved Amidala, he was obsessed with her as an idea.

Reality is full of sand

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Everyone posted:

I posted about this upthread (or possibly in the other TV Star Wars thread). I think the Jedi enforced stability and the status quo. Technological advancement on a large scale can be destabilizing and requiring large changes in societies. Ditto religion/philosophy/art/etc. Figure if somebody had a big idea for teleportation, nanotech replicators, the end of scarcity and was making real progress in implementing it, the Jedi with their precognition/telepathy would track them down and "solve" this obvious "threat to peace."

The Jedi only work if you accept they are the true villains of the Star Wars universe. The fact that they believe they are the heroes only reinforces this.

'The road to hell' and all that.

Or, to quote Pratchett, "There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do."

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

personally i think the real villain of the star wars universe is that guy who wears black robes, shoots lightning out of his hands, blows up planets, commands the nazi party etc

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

mutata posted:

Tudyk's run voicing nonverbal animals in Disney movies has inflated his asking price, no doubt.

Just have John DiMaggio voice K2 and Tudyk voice Bender. Problems solved.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Farm Frenzy posted:

personally i think the real villain of the star wars universe is that guy who wears black robes, shoots lightning out of his hands, blows up planets, commands the nazi party etc

dumb rear end

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Or, to quote Pratchett, "There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do."

I think that's a better description of the people on the Death Star than the celibate space monks.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Farm Frenzy posted:

What the gently caress

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The Sith are just rear end in a top hat Jedi, and the Jedi are ALREADY assholes, so none of them come out on top.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Kenobi was the villain of the OT. Dude sends a dirt farmer teenager against the drat ruler of the galaxy. Then when called out on his out right lies says some, "well from a certain alternative fact" poodoo. Guys a real sleemo is what I am saying.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think that's a better description of the people on the Death Star than the celibate space monks.

Stealing and brain loving babies in the name of the Greater Good for tens of thousands of years weighs pretty heavy on the scales of hosed up poo poo.

Posted earlier in the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihWYL0cBTSo&t=33s

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Burning_Monk posted:

Kenobi was the villain of the OT. Dude sends a dirt farmer teenager against the drat ruler of the galaxy. Then when called out on his out right lies says some, "well from a certain alternative fact" poodoo. Guys a real sleemo is what I am saying.

Nah.

Kenobi lies to Luke about his dad because he knows Luke's a hotheaded idiot farmboy. His whole plan is to train him on Alderaan, and I assume gradually fill him in on what's actually going on, indroduce him to Leia, etc. Dick move lying to him, sure, but it's explicitly so he doesn't throw himself immediately at Vader/the Emperor.

Then they blunder into the Death Star, and Kenobi sacrifices himself so that Luke can escape. It's Luke's idea to do a suicide run on a moon-sized space station, Ghost Kenobi just helps him out when it's clear he's going to get himself killed. He then spends the rest of the trilogy as telling Luke not to confront Vader, just settle the gently caress down and train with Yoda first, advice which is mostly ignored.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Stealing and brain loving babies in the name of the Greater Good for tens of thousands of years weighs pretty heavy on the scales of hosed up poo poo.
It's not the kind of banality-of-evil punchclock villain that the quote is talking about though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Anita Dickinme posted:

Much like big pharma and a cancer cure.

The Sith and Jedi became mortal enemies because Darth Plagueis the Wise learned how to stop people from dying

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Boba Fett wasn't a very good show. It's very easy to think how they could have structured it better to be more dramatically satisfying while accomplishing all the same things in the the terms of where they wanted characters placed etc. I didn't mind the Mods because it amused me that they looked like they stepped straight out of Camden Market, at least before it got lovely and they built a bunch of flats at the lock.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Karloff posted:

Boba Fett wasn't a very good show. It's very easy to think how they could have structured it better to be more dramatically satisfying while accomplishing all the same things in the the terms of where they wanted characters placed etc. I didn't mind the Mods because it amused me that they looked like they stepped straight out of Camden Market, at least before it got lovely and they built a bunch of flats at the lock.

I did find it funny that these supposedly tough street kids had plumy English accents, but yanks don't know our accents so lol I guess.

I am also assuming that all those mods didn't come cheap so maybe it fits as they were awful soldiers, more like rich kids playing at being ... shut-up brain

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
And when we get a spinoff comic with them, we can explore their backgrounds and personalities and motivations without any baggage from the show!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Karloff posted:

Now I'm imagining them all working at Cyberdog in Camden (while living with their parents in Chelsea of course).

Pic for reference:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

notaspy posted:

I did find it funny that these supposedly tough street kids had plumy English accents, but yanks don't know our accents so lol I guess.

I am also assuming that all those mods didn't come cheap so maybe it fits as they were awful soldiers, more like rich kids playing at being ... shut-up brain

Thanks for articulating this, it seems extremely obvious now but it's another reason why they really stuck out in a bad way for me. Like the concept was fine but the execution way too jarring and poorly done. It accentuates the dissonance between their presentation as some kind of cool street gang when they look, act and sound like a bunch of kids rebelling against their parents while happily spending their money.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

Thanks for articulating this, it seems extremely obvious now but it's another reason why they really stuck out in a bad way for me. Like the concept was fine but the execution way too jarring and poorly done. It accentuates the dissonance between their presentation as some kind of cool street gang when they look, act and sound like a bunch of kids rebelling against their parents while happily spending their money.

The actress is a full blooded American. I am so loving confused.

How dare she prove me wrong about ignorant Americans and instead highlight my own.

At least the bloke is English.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

yeah and look how well that ended up for her and the galaxy

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53IxFe5qFgM

I'm just gonna pretend this takes place after S1 of Boba's Books so that the Gamorrean guards survived their tumble off the cliff

Because falling never kills anyone in Star Wars

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah... The piggies probably survived the fall. Pork rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah... The piggies probably survived the fall. Pork rolls.

On her way out of town, Fennec deployed a life net at the base of that cliff because Fennec is the only smart member of Boba's gang.