Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I'm extremely fortunate my COVID symptoms were minor. Obviously vaxxed and boosted, couldn't imagine what it'd be like without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Amy Pole Her posted:

You’re the first person I’ve heard of who was knocked out from omicron. Tons of folks i know caught it but it was very very tame. All vaxxed tho

I'd say it was about 60-40 knock out : nothing major.

However, all the "nothing major" people caught it months ago. Basically just right after they got their booster.

And who knows what's going to happen with long covid.

I loving hate that the national narrative is "don't worry, it's mild".

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
don't worry, this virus that has been constantly mutating and just became significantly more virulent is currently mild in a country where a huge percentage of people are refusing to get vaccinated

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ornery and Hornery posted:

However, all the "nothing major" people caught it months ago. Basically just right after they got their booster.

If this is in response to the people mentioned in the post you quoted, it’s inaccurate.

But either way - seems like we’re getting tons of variants over time, so I agree with you the relaxed vibe toward Omicron is dangerous regardless of it being scientifically “weaker” (20% less hospitalizations IIRC) in terms of severe symptoms.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 17, 2022

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I got probably-omicron (not sequenced but during the wave) in early January, about three months after my Pfizer booster. I had minor body aches and sinus infection sx. My work partner, a healthy 29yo, caught it the next week and, having not gotten around to her booster, spent two weeks in bed with severe fatigue, shortness of breath, intractable headaches, low oxygen sats.

All my boosted coworkers who caught it in this big wave had similarly minor symptoms.

Anecdotal of course, but telling.

Also wear a better mask than cloth, they loving do nothing. Literally. Nothing.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah, myself and the family are fortunate in that we haven't contracted it thanks to being extremely careful and continuous masking, but almost all of my friends who have recently had Covid (and probably omicron) are vaccinated and boosted, all ended up having minor symptoms and were mostly recovered within a couple of days.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I will loving ruthlessly reject a non-masked patron that comes to my window. You had to wear one to get into the building, you don't have the option of getting all cozy and comfy before you spit your problems back at me.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

my older son contracted it before the vaccine was available for his age group but fortunately was fine, now both kids are double vaxxed

hasn't saved them from the stomach flu going around the school though

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Amy Pole Her posted:

If this is in response to the people mentioned in the post you quoted, it’s inaccurate.

But either way - seems like we’re getting tons of variants over time, so I agree with you the relaxed vibe toward Omicron is dangerous regardless of it being scientifically “weaker” (20% less hospitalizations IIRC) in terms of severe symptoms.

My language was unclear. I meant that all the people I know directly had that ratio and that timing.

Yeah the variants are terrifying. Some of the medical goons were discussing how the mechanism of Omi is dangerously effective at spreading but we got lucky because the power it packed is relatively weaker. It could have easily been a super dangerous variant.

I wanna move to a beach.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Entire family got Covid 2 months before the vaccines became available, which was kind of annoying timing. Overall it was minor for everyone, kids got over it almost immediately, I had a headache and slight fever for a day or 2, then it went away and I felt fine for 5 or so days, then I lost my sense of taste and smell for maybe 3-4 days. Longest duration symptom was my wife losing her sense of taste/smell for maybe 4 weeks, and then for a month or so after it she said everything smelled like broccoli beef. An oddity is that each time she got vaccinated the broccoli beef smell came back for about a month.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Still don't have my voucher but it could arrive soon, might be able to get my booster inside of a month but we'll see. Wife is due in about a month, don't want to be in the throes of booster blues when she needs to go to the hospital.

(Starting to fill our place up with baby stuff as well...it's starting to get very, very real.)

The other side is it sounds like Japan may start to loosen some restrictions soon, so hopefully able to make a visit back to the U.S. without then having to stay home for two weeks when I return.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Have you caught Covid?

Your perspective on wearing masks might change after you’ve experienced Covid. But maybe not!

I am in disbelief that you are still using only a cloth mask.

What a world we live in.

I maybe caught COVID. I never tested positive, but a month ago I had a week where I had a ton of mucus and my throat was really scratchy. Apparently that has been a symptom for a bunch of people with Omicron.

Almost everyone I know just wears a cloth mask or those thin paper mask. Very few people I know wear N95s or the equivalent. That is if they wear a mask at all.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
As someone who wore a mask for 8 to 12 hours a day every day for a decade before the pandemic, I honestly don't get the complaints against wearing them. It took like 3 minutes to go from "huh, this mask is on my face" to not noticing it at all.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My complaint with (K)N95 masks is the bands have to really stretch out to fit around my fat head, so it doesn't take long before it's pretty uncomfortable. I wish they had more slack & had adjusters like my old cloth masks have.

My favorite masks these days are my Outdoor Research face cover and my Oakley MSK3 since they can accommodate inserts.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

swickles posted:

As someone who wore a mask for 8 to 12 hours a day every day for a decade before the pandemic, I honestly don't get the complaints against wearing them. It took like 3 minutes to go from "huh, this mask is on my face" to not noticing it at all.

But it's slightly inconvenient kind of!

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I get the discomfort angle and I feel for people who don't like it and have to wear it all day for work. Nothing tries my patience more than some lug nut who can't be bothered to wear one for 20 loving minutes in a grocery store.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

We got KN95s a month-ish ago. The straps irritated my ears for the first week or so, but not anymore. Mine is on the entire day except when I'm eating or drinking something, and it's completely out of my mind unless it comes up in conversation. Company policy is we can have them off in our cubes, so other people have commented on me wearing mine all day as though it's some big hassle. To me if it fits well and you never have to think about it, remembering to put it on when you go do something is more of a hassle than just having it on all the time.

e: Our manager was very excited to tell us we're going back to masks only required on the production floor at the end of March. We're right back to "numbers are going down, COVID's over!"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't see masks at all in the wild anymore in West Texas, I basically only see them at the grocery store, and that's probably less than 15%.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

General Dog posted:

I don't see masks at all in the wild anymore in West Texas, I basically only see them at the grocery store, and that's probably less than 15%.

That's 14% higher than I expected for West True America

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Last episode of Peacemaker is so good holy poo poo those cameos

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Questions for the adults here that actually know about this stuff (because I don't)

I reupped a pre-approval with my lender and this time she told me about an FHA loan I could get. Lower money down and I can get more money overall. She's pushing me towards the conventional loan though because there's "problems" with FHA. Is there a reason I should be scared of an FHA? Seems like a better deal. My guess is that she just gets a bigger cut from a conventional but idk.

I was also talking to a realtor friend and he said the expectation is that the market soften some but if that does happen that interest rates will go up and...that seems better to me? Paying less "up front" on a 30yr mortgage that I know drat well I'm not going to live in for 30 years and pay more in interest year to year? I just feel like I'd wind up saving more in the long run by paying less on the house and more in interest for like 5-10 years or whatever.

These are probably dumb questions and I'm totally ready to accept that but I'm a 38 year old child that's never owned anything before

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/_elkue/status/1494021798924623872

the let's go brandon sticker adds to it. someone looked it up and they have a bunch of tickets for speeding through school zones

Joey Freshwater posted:

Questions for the adults here that actually know about this stuff (because I don't)

I reupped a pre-approval with my lender and this time she told me about an FHA loan I could get. Lower money down and I can get more money overall. She's pushing me towards the conventional loan though because there's "problems" with FHA. Is there a reason I should be scared of an FHA? Seems like a better deal. My guess is that she just gets a bigger cut from a conventional but idk.

I was also talking to a realtor friend and he said the expectation is that the market soften some but if that does happen that interest rates will go up and...that seems better to me? Paying less "up front" on a 30yr mortgage that I know drat well I'm not going to live in for 30 years and pay more in interest year to year? I just feel like I'd wind up saving more in the long run by paying less on the house and more in interest for like 5-10 years or whatever.

These are probably dumb questions and I'm totally ready to accept that but I'm a 38 year old child that's never owned anything before

FHA tends to have a higher interest rate I think? Also since you're putting less down, you pay significantly more over the life of the loan

I bought my house on an FHA and after nearly a decade had only paid off around $20K on my loan and that includes the periodic extra payment. A little over $100 a month was going to the principle until I refinanced, now it's way more

Intruder fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 17, 2022

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

https://twitter.com/_elkue/status/1494021798924623872

the let's go brandon sticker adds to it. someone looked it up and they have a bunch of tickets for speeding through school zones

FHA tends to have a higher interest rate I think? Also since you're putting less down, you pay significantly more over the life of the loan

I'm not really worried about the money down. I have the money to put down whether I do the conventional or the FHA, but for some reason the FHA gives me more of a ceiling to find something. She said I can put down 3.5% but I would likely put more like 10%-15% down. I don't know if that's a requirement for the FHA though that I put down a small amount.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

FHA doesn't require anything down IIRC, I don't think I put anything down. It's just smart to make a down payment if you can afford to do so because that's money you won't be paying interest on

Of course, you could argue that you have the money invested elsewhere at a higher return than your mortgage rate :shrug: I don't know

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

I bought my house on an FHA and after nearly a decade had only paid off around $20K on my loan and that includes the periodic extra payment. A little over $100 a month was going to the principle until I refinanced, now it's way more

This is essentially accurate. Also, with an FHA you tend to wind up paying way more in mortgage insurance, and because the loan is secured by the Federal Housing Administration, you tend to make less in equity over the lifetime of the loan, which hinders future borrowing power.

Intruder posted:

FHA doesn't require anything down IIRC, I don't think I put anything down.

At least as of 2014 / early 2015, when my ex-wife and I were looking at houses and examining our loan options, we were told for an FHA we'd need to put at least 3.5% down.

Timby fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 17, 2022

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Joey Freshwater posted:

FHA has a lot of hoops for sellers and closing companies to jump through. No real issue with FHA outside of it not comparing well to a conventional loan. And pales compared to cash offers (in the eyes of sellers)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Amy Pole Her posted:

FHA has a lot of hoops for sellers and closing companies to jump through. No real issue with FHA outside of it not comparing well to a conventional loan. And pales compared to cash offers (in the eyes of sellers)

I am talking to a guy this evening that's a friend of the family. His company does cash offers on behalf of people who have pre-approvals. They just take an interest rate of the total. So they front the money in cash and then the loan money goes to them. They don't own anything on the house, they just take a percentage that can either be paid through the mortgage or back to them direct. I think it's like .5%

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Won’t someone please think of the CEOs :qq:

I need to find that graph of the average CEO work week where it’s only a 50-hour week and something like 20 of those hours are devoted to what any rational human would call leisure activities

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Timby posted:

This is essentially accurate. Also, with an FHA you tend to wind up paying way more in mortgage insurance, and because the loan is secured by the Federal Housing Administration, you tend to make less in equity over the lifetime of the loan, which hinders future borrowing power.

At least as of 2014 / early 2015, when my ex-wife and I were looking at houses and examining our loan options, we were told for an FHA we'd need to put at least 3.5% down.

Are you sure it was a down payment and not closing cost?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

Are you sure it was a down payment and not closing cost?

Yes.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
the republican message distilled to its essence

https://twitter.com/ariehkovler/status/1494332545218928642

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://twitter.com/Gritty20202/status/1494303117847920640

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

I don't think Jesus should be gunning babies.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Today is my last day in office before I go on vacation all next week and it already feels like it's dragging. It could also be that I've got meetings all day too, only one of which is actually important.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'm not really worried about the money down. I have the money to put down whether I do the conventional or the FHA, but for some reason the FHA gives me more of a ceiling to find something. She said I can put down 3.5% but I would likely put more like 10%-15% down. I don't know if that's a requirement for the FHA though that I put down a small amount.

Until your loan gets below 80% of the value of the property (i.e. 20% equity), you'll have to pay private mortgage insurance (PMI) which can be a decent chunk of change depending on the property value. If it's somewhere you plan to live for 8 to 10+ years I would recommend putting 20% down and avoiding that nonsense.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

With my last paycheck (contract ended early; the woman I was filling in for decided to come back early from her maternity leave) I dropped $45 on an electric toothbrush--nothing fancy, just a bog-standard Oral-B one at the grocery store--and holy moly, I feel like my life has changed.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Today is my last day in office before I go on vacation all next week and it already feels like it's dragging. It could also be that I've got meetings all day too, only one of which is actually important.

The only meetings worth going to are the ones that can't start without you. In a past life, I was the director of marketing for a marketing automation company, and one of the first rules I laid down to my staff when I started was to never schedule a meeting to discuss something that can be sussed out with a few emails or a five-minute phone call.

Meetings about meetings are the goddamn worst.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Timby posted:

With my last paycheck (contract ended early; the woman I was filling in for decided to come back early from her maternity leave) I dropped $45 on an electric toothbrush--nothing fancy, just a bog-standard Oral-B one at the grocery store--and holy moly, I feel like my life has changed.

Same when I switched from my old quip to a sonicare. Just night and day difference

e: lol

https://twitter.com/mschlapp/status/1494350695784407046

Intruder fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 17, 2022

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

saintonan posted:

Until your loan gets below 80% of the value of the property (i.e. 20% equity), you'll have to pay private mortgage insurance (PMI) which can be a decent chunk of change depending on the property value. If it's somewhere you plan to live for 8 to 10+ years I would recommend putting 20% down and avoiding that nonsense.

The default thought of "always put 20% down if you can" is usually a myth in the current market / rates.

Talk to your broker, Joey, and see if they offer upfront payments for your PMI. You can also, depending on which market you're in, assume that you'll be refinancing in 3-5 years and with the rising cost of properties, likely fall under that 20% threshold. In a majority of my client's cases, it makes sense to throw down as little a down payment and use the equity elsewhere. YMMV, but it's absolutely worth running it by your broker and going through the numbers/options.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 17, 2022

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Howdy thread just popping in to say I feel like a goddamn super soldier right now.

Just had a review with my company. We just got acquired and our management team has been stripped of their managerial titles.

In my first review with a new manager, I sent him fifteen Teams screenshots of the management before him actively insulting me and had said probably false things about me!

Now I have a new manager a double digit percentage point raise a discretionary bonus and, most importantly, I have apparently caused the company to review the upcoming promotion my old manager was getting.

Moral of the story? Don't pick a fight with a code jockey whose entire life is arguing on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

gently caress yeah dude that's awesome