Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Filthy Haiku posted:

I know how they can make Eggman a joke and evil at the same time: change him from a feminist to a TERF.

We have already established that Eggman is not Dizzy the Egg Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Filthy Haiku posted:

that’s why he actually hates Sonic.

why is trans more powerful than mega or ultra, but lower than atomic? is it short form for "transport"? If that is the case, shouldn't the highest be Log-Sonic for Logistics Sonic?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Funnily, transonic actually refers to speeds just slightly below the speed of sound.

At least they got the order of ultra and megasonic correct, although those refer to frequencies.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 17, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Looper posted:

you think this isn't threatening??

thought this was from the megaman x crossover for a sec

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

He'd be terrifying if he made a giant mech out of the Cracker Night barrel

This is a phenomenal typo and now I want Cracker Barrel Zone to be in the next game.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

why is trans more powerful than mega or ultra, but lower than atomic? is it short form for "transport"? If that is the case, shouldn't the highest be Log-Sonic for Logistics Sonic?

its short for transgender, and its one of the most powerful states of being

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i like eggman when he has a good balance of being genuinely threatening but also goofy. SA2's eggman is prob my favorite out of the games, rest in peace deem bristow. pollock does my favorite funny eggman and i think he can do a good serious eggman as well. as someone else said i think forces for all its flaws did have eggman be funny and scary pretty well, unleashed as well. really though i cant think of time eggman hasnt been good. hes just a good rear end character.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

aosth robotnik is good for what hte show is but i dont really want sonic to just be low stakes comedy hour, i feel the same way about sonic boom. that can be a fun breather inbetween bigger moments but sonic is at its best when its treating itself seriously and having fun with it at the same time

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

On account of being a 30-year-old multimedia IP that has gone in many different directions, many Sonic fans have specific ideas of the "definitive" versions of characters in their heads, and how close that is to their current or past depictions varies. Sometimes that idea may come from a video game, sometimes a cartoon, sometimes it might not even be from official material, but fan works.

As far as how I like my robotniks, I like just about any villain that can pull off a balance between comedy and menace, and Eggman is no exception. Granted, I also feel that when it comes to a lot of Sonic stuff, the overall tone of the work and what it's aiming for is going to effect what I want out my Robotnik. Boom Eggman is fun as a sort of casual supervillain to go along with the more sitcom-based Sonic Boom. I'm not super big on the 90s cartoons but both AoSTH Robotnik and SatAM Robotnik are well suited for the tone their shows were going for. Ian Flynn's Eggman knows when to be funny and when to be scary and frames his rivalry with Sonic in an interesting way.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Funky Valentine posted:

06's second greatest moment is Eggman revealing he has high tech scouter glasses.
Yup

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

In SA2 Eggman scratches his rear end

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Buml0r posted:

[edit 2 - ooh it's nice to come here and immediately see STCTP referred to as if people know what it is! Do people here know what it is? That would be nice.]

I found out about the podcast from this thread, just a few episodes after it started. I joined the patreon right when that started too. Thanks for all the great episodes!

You guys seemed a bit disappointed when the Sonic 3&K adaptation was over, acting like it was all downhill from here. It's great to see how much you've been enjoying it again because the gap between 3&K and Adventure is where a lot of the most unique and memorable stories are.

Looper posted:

i'm reading through all of archie sonic (on issue 278!) but i probably won't ever read sonic the comic. it's important to have some gaps in your knowledge

I've never read Archie/IDW, but I'd love to see someone reading through the whole things and giving their impressions. If you ever get time, maybe after all the books are done, I'd love to see you read through these with guests who grew up on them.

Of course my biased uninformed opinion is that (pre-Flynn) it's endless furry drama which couldn't be less interested in following the games, but I'd love to be proven wrong and see the best things it has to offer.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it owns that sega of america and sega of europe turned eggman into an evil tyrant that ruled the world for the comics and cartoons lol

Honestly found it really weird in SA1 and the OVA that Sonic just lazes around between games. The world just feels more lively in StC, and it gives all the characters more to do without Robotnik having to be directly involved.

Mikedawson posted:

On account of being a 30-year-old multimedia IP that has gone in many different directions, many Sonic fans have specific ideas of the "definitive" versions of characters in their heads, and how close that is to their current or past depictions varies. Sometimes that idea may come from a video game, sometimes a cartoon, sometimes it might not even be from official material, but fan works.

As far as how I like my robotniks, I like just about any villain that can pull off a balance between comedy and menace, and Eggman is no exception. Granted, I also feel that when it comes to a lot of Sonic stuff, the overall tone of the work and what it's aiming for is going to effect what I want out my Robotnik. Boom Eggman is fun as a sort of casual supervillain to go along with the more sitcom-based Sonic Boom. I'm not super big on the 90s cartoons but both AoSTH Robotnik and SatAM Robotnik are well suited for the tone their shows were going for. Ian Flynn's Eggman knows when to be funny and when to be scary and frames his rivalry with Sonic in an interesting way.

He works just as well as the Joker, for a lot of the same reasons. I would happily buy that the same Joker that orchestrates a prisoner's dilemna on two boats would also steal a kid's report card.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I recently found out that the guidebook description where it calls Eggman a “feminist” is apparently a mistranslation of “womanizer” and I’m not sure which is funnier

womb with a view posted:

SA2’s Dark Story is the best because you get so much unfiltered Eggman in it
I love how after Eggman’s big scene where he threatens to blow up America they smash-cut to him throwing a tantrum and hitting the space colony computer out of frustration

Augus fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 17, 2022

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Wait that titbit is from a guide book? I thought everyone was just having a lark.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Augus posted:

I recently found out that the guidebook description where it calls Eggman a “feminist” is apparently a mistranslation of “womanizer” and I’m not sure which is funnier

It's up there with Dr Light being listed as "douchie" in GBA Megaman & Bass

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Wait that titbit is from a guide book? I thought everyone was just having a lark.

The Sonic Heroes instruction manual (remember those?) straight out of the box if memory serves!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rskVrELIZjg

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

womb with a view posted:

its an important moment

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Augus posted:

in japanese the word 'feminist' when referring to a guy is used more to refer to someone who goes easy on women or is soft on them, with the implication that they do it to look good. think opening doors for them, saying you wouldn't hit a woman, etc. good example is in the recent anime akudama drive where a female antagonist is fighting the characters, one of the protagonists doesn't want to hit her and just sort of shoves her to the side, and then another character yells at him to 'stop being such a feminist!'

a closer english word would be 'chivalrous' or 'gentleman,' but in a sort of sarcastic way.

of course even this explanation is still funny because hes 100% up for shooting cream and amy in the head with a giant laser

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
The interpretation I always like to go with is that Eggman is a really strong advocate of gender equality in the Saturday morning cartoon supervillain industry. Everybody's always talking about the Skeletors, but he wants to see some more of the Evil Lynn's succeed...

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Are you guys sure it was Sonic Heroes that mentioned it, because I checked the Japanese manual scans on Sonic Retro and there’s nothing in his profile related to his attitude on women one way or another.

I’m sure it had to come from somewhere because ta a strange thing to make up out of nowhere, and I think I remember hearing it somewhere else before that. But “The original Japanese manual said womanizer” might just be another one of those things about how “the localization is ruining the true pure vision of the Japanese developers” that the Sonic fanbase latches onto for some reason.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

eh, in this case its a pretty reasonable assumption because its such a random thing, not a 'true pure jp vision' thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and yeah its definitely in the sonic heroes manual, its right in front of me. its in the ps2 manual specifically, its possible those have different blurbs.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Here's the PC version:

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Since the English manual mentions that he's "...a romanticist, a feminist, and a self professed gentleman" it sounds like the idea of that being a misinterpretation of the original Japanese was one of those myths that went through a game of half-remembered telephone. Y'know, we start from the premise that the description in the English manual was different than in the original Japanese one, most of the fanbase isn't actually fluent in Japanese but someone vaguely remembers that a common term for "feminist" in Japanese is more akin to "ladies man" or "gentleman" and people just extrapolated backwards.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Feminist vs. Womanizer is the new Eggman vs. Robotnik debate.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I'm loving the idea that Eggman is the kind of guy who says "m'lady".

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
eggman... the gentleman scientist

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mikedawson posted:

I'm loving the idea that Eggman is the kind of guy who says "m'lady".

Based on his radio conversations during Crazy Gadget in SA2, he did kind of seem more concerned about Amy’s wellbeing than Sonic did at least.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Eggman is an incel nice guy confirmed

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Dabir posted:

Eggman is an incel nice guy confirmed

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

Looper posted:

i'm reading through all of archie sonic (on issue 278!) but i probably won't ever read sonic the comic. it's important to have some gaps in your knowledge

You're right, but oppositely.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Watch Buml0r start a loving war

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

I've never read Archie/IDW, but I'd love to see someone reading through the whole things and giving their impressions. If you ever get time, maybe after all the books are done, I'd love to see you read through these with guests who grew up on them.

Of course my biased uninformed opinion is that (pre-Flynn) it's endless furry drama which couldn't be less interested in following the games, but I'd love to be proven wrong and see the best things it has to offer.

i have neither the time nor interest in making a podcast or anything but definitely check out the thanks ken penders blog if you haven't already, the author is much more knowledgeable about the us comics industry as a whole than i am and she is firmly into ian flynn's archie run now

i will however attempt to summarize the pre-flynn comics in three images:

when mike gallagher is writing:

when karl bollers is writing:

when ken penders is writing:

there were other writers here and there but those three were the main ones. and don't get me wrong, there is some good stuff in there! and even at its absolute nonsensical worst, early archie is still very funny if nothing else. i suspect the main editor for that period, justin gabrie, was extremely hands off except about very specific things (love triangles usually) because there can be a real lack of consistency between writers, bollers seemed to be the only one who actually read other people's stories and attempted to tie things together. the lowest point of the comic imo is the year-ish period between bollers and gabrie quitting, where penders had just given up and the new editor was clearing a bunch of lovely old stories out of storage, up until 160 when ian flynn and tracy yardley take over

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looper posted:

when karl bollers is writing:

Archie stole STC’s idea I see (what was the context for it here out of curiosity?)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 17, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Looper posted:

there were other writers here and there but those three were the main ones. and don't get me wrong, there is some good stuff in there! and even at its absolute nonsensical worst, early archie is still very funny if nothing else. i suspect the main editor for that period, justin gabrie, was extremely hands off except about very specific things (love triangles usually) because there can be a real lack of consistency between writers, bollers seemed to be the only one who actually read other people's stories and attempted to tie things together. the lowest point of the comic imo is the year-ish period between bollers and gabrie quitting, where penders had just given up and the new editor was clearing a bunch of lovely old stories out of storage, up until 160 when ian flynn and tracy yardley take over

I've been meaning to ask: What's a good jumping-on point for someone who likes the looks of the Yardley/Flynn era of Sonic comics but has little to no interest in the earlier stuff? Is picking up at issue 160 an okay approach? Or is there enough continuity cruft from the earlier comics kicking around that it's going to end up being confusing for a new reader?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

They teased it for so long

And then.....that's the payoff

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008