Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Acerbatus posted:

I don't think there's any situation where using children as human shields is going to be 'for a good cause' because it requires the people being protested to be unwilling to mow down children. Even then, the risk it could happen by accident exists.

Also, your cause is pretty invalid when you live in a democracy and your demands are the end of democracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Gros Tarla posted:

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1862871/ottawa-manifestations-surete-quebec-renforts-camionneurs

Sûreté du Québec's GTI has been called into Ottawa. They will be sending in a large detachment (larger than what is planned for Quebec City's protest).

They will be headquartered in Gatineau and will be placed under OPP's command.

Having dealt with them in 2012 during the student protests, their riot control is pretty vicious. If I was a trucker, I'd probably start investing in safety glasses.

...Is this a thing I would not understand as an American?

Are the Quebec Riot Police like infamous or something? I told my Canadian raised wife about it and she reacted with with "oh poo poo they called them in?!"

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I've lived there and attended protests in Quebec and I don't think they were particularly better or worse than cops elsewhere idk

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009
idk about better or worse but they certainly would have more experience with something like this than ops.
not that it means anything but...

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Another Bill posted:

I've lived there and attended protests in Quebec and I don't think they were particularly better or worse than cops elsewhere idk

Dunno, they kinda earned a rep in 2012 though and unlike most Canadian cops they’ve demonstrated their willingness to crack the heads of people other than native environmental protestors

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

TulliusCicero posted:

...Is this a thing I would not understand as an American?

Are the Quebec Riot Police like infamous or something? I told my Canadian raised wife about it and she reacted with with "oh poo poo they called them in?!"

I think there's this association with how France has had a long history of revolutions and riots in response to unpopular political events so their police have had extra training and experience in shutting them down as quickly as possible.
Just as an example - the current design of Paris' city streets reflects Napoleon III directing city engineers to rebuild the city to make it easy for the military or police to bypass barricades put up by Paris mobs. But I digress- such a tradition of civil disobedience probably carried over to Quebec (As we often have protests in Montreal) and thus their police are more heavy handed in how they deal with these issues or are used to more unorthodox protest techniques.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Dunno, they kinda earned a rep in 2012 though and unlike most Canadian cops they’ve demonstrated their willingness to crack the heads of people other than native environmental protestors

plus, at minimum, they aren’t local.

Shipping in riot cops from 300 miles away is a good way to signal that you aren’t loving around anymore.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

TulliusCicero posted:

Maybe just a generic "they finally called in the riot police"?

Either way, now we get to watch as another corps of police stands by and refuses to apply laws to their fellow white supremacist buddies. Have we gone through all of them yet that are in jurisdiction?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm also going to guess that instead of a "How white are you" approach that most police have, they have a "How Francophone are you" approach and... well... that's a lot of English speakers in these occupations.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Shipping in cops from Quebec might be a proximity issue, but sure feels like wanting to find cops that culturally identify less with with people they'll be dealing with.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Randalor posted:

I'm also going to guess that instead of a "How white are you" approach that most police have, they have a "How Francophone are you" approach and... well... that's a lot of English speakers in these occupations.

Let's skip the thinly veiled Quebec bashing here. The carrés rouges were very francophone, trust me.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Jan posted:

Let's skip the thinly veiled Quebec bashing here. The carrés rouges were very francophone, trust me.

They will be motivated by the cultural appropriation of poutine by Canada at large.

We've all seen the pictures of shredded cheese on "poutine" west of the Ottawa river.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Randalor posted:

This tracks for me. When I was young if you got caught being mischevious / drinking beer in the park / whatever, english cops with us anglos were all 'boys will be boys!' and french cops would harass the gently caress out of you (unless you spoke french to them).

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1494216634822766594?s=20&t=boiTrQVG5asXbdjcvGKzjQ

The big brain Bazinga boy South African apartheid era gem mine heir down here in the states has come down on the side of your white supremacists, shockingly!

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1494216634822766594?s=20&t=boiTrQVG5asXbdjcvGKzjQ

The big brain Bazinga boy South African apartheid era gem mine heir down here in the states has come down on the side of your white supremacists, shockingly!

Elon has been backing the convoy from the start, on Twitter at least.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's not the first time he's said he supported the "truckers." and anyone in the protest accepting his support kind of just gives away this whole thing is not about trucking.

God drat he's so annoying and dumb.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Servetus posted:

Elon has been backing the convoy from the start, on Twitter at least.

"Oh man, those truckers flying swastikas and confederate flags? Those are the real heroes" - Elon Musk, supergenius.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I really wish my country would just deport Musk to Mars already or whatever the gently caress

Just the absolute worst loving guy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Oxyclean posted:

It's not the first time he's said he supported the "truckers." and anyone in the protest accepting his support kind of just gives away this whole thing is not about trucking.

God drat he's so annoying and dumb.

He claims to be building a product explicitly designed to put truckers out of a job, so yeah, sure, he supports truckers. There are so many layers of disingenuous misrepresentation here there's no point in trying to break it down.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
If I was the guy facing a lawsuit in California for my racist practices to the point where allegations are that the plant floor is segregated I wouldn't be posting Hitler memes.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 7, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Generation Internet posted:

Just the worst loving people all around. Not a single one has the self-awareness to be even a tiny bit ashamed, either.

White South Africans?

Yes.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
That's got to be one of the worst tweets I've ever seen.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Generation Internet posted:

Just the worst loving people all around. Not a single one has the self-awareness to be even a tiny bit ashamed, either.

But enough about white people,

Development
Jun 2, 2016

https://twitter.com/rachaiello/status/1494338041866981380?s=20&t=R6EjZOmMEixmUjAkNrd05w

candice you got it backwards. history won't be kind to you.

https://twitter.com/rachaiello/status/1494341647756189699?s=20&t=R6EjZOmMEixmUjAkNrd05w

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Musk conveniently supports the protest that cost his competitors millions of dollars

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Everytime a non con talks they get jeered and booed and everytime a con talks about how JT has done nothing but call truckers mean names and then try remove civil liberties there is silence. It's like the cons are the only ones there

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 7, 2023

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/StephanieLevitz/status/1494347791086370819

Should the NDP support the government here?

Lol imagine the chaos if they change their mind and vote this down.

(I heard on the radio the government gave parliament like a 14 page document explaining why the emergency act usage is required. Is that publicly available or do we just have the government talking points?)

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

My only fear about the emergencies act is that the Conservatives will use it to curb stomp protestors and freeze all the donation money an environmentalist or occupy movement would get. Or invoke it during a general strike or major labor disruption to freeze union financing and force people back to work.
There's so many ways this can be abused now that we set the precedent.

I get why it had to be done, because the cops are in mutiny and switched sides... But it doesn't change the implications for future events...

Is there a way to gauge how much public support this declaration is getting?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Feels so much like a practice run like 1/6 but for Canada.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.
The Tories (and the Bloc, I guess) are pretending so drat hard that this order is overbroad and shocking, when it is not remotely either of those things. It does basically two things: 1) allowing additional law enforcement bodies to enforce laws that already exist, and 2) giving immediate effect to FINTRAC regulations on crowdfunding and crypto that look like Parliament is going to make permanent anyway.

There's basically nothing going on here that Parliament couldn't get done in several weeks through its normal processes. But the Tories have to pretend that something awful horrible is going on in order to distract from the fact that they've come down squarely on the side of lawbreakers.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

tagesschau posted:

The Tories (and the Bloc, I guess) are pretending so drat hard that this order is overbroad and shocking, when it is not remotely either of those things. It does basically two things: 1) allowing additional law enforcement bodies to enforce laws that already exist, and 2) giving immediate effect to FINTRAC regulations on crowdfunding and crypto that look like Parliament is going to make permanent anyway.

There's basically nothing going on here that Parliament couldn't get done in several weeks through its normal processes. But the Tories have to pretend that something awful horrible is going on in order to distract from the fact that they've come down squarely on the side of lawbreakers.

It's exhausting that the right can constantly use all the rhetoric the left used when we were fighting real authoritarianism and somehow play themselves up as the oppressed victims. It works every goddamn time. It's all projection and it makes me sick.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Femtosecond posted:

Should the NDP support the government here?

Lol imagine the chaos if they change their mind and vote this down.

https://twitter.com/davidreevely/status/1494341265269264384?s=20&t=wyaMUPTpqrkm-Xvx3tCndQ

deeply angry, but I doubt he'll budge.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

This whole situation's just made me realize how out of touch I've gotten with politics in my own country, province, and city after years of rubbernecking the American political car crash. Does anyone have any tips for podcasts, newspapers, good twitter follows or the like for keeping up to date? I'll take B.C.-specific if you've got 'em. The OP mentions the big names, but I'm hoping I can do better than the Globe and Mail.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Thankfully, it reads more that he's angry that it reached the point where it was necessary, not angry about the act itself.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Randalor posted:

Thankfully, it reads more that he's angry that it reached the point where it was necessary, not angry about the act itself.

Doug was too busy OPENIN' 'ER UP to assist in Ottawa.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Kraftwerk posted:

My only fear about the emergencies act is that the Conservatives will use it to curb stomp protestors and freeze all the donation money an environmentalist or occupy movement would get.

Why would they need to do this when they can just send in the RCMP to bust heads and snipe folks with the unilateral enthusiastic support of every white person in the country.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Kraftwerk posted:

My only fear about the emergencies act is that the Conservatives will use it to curb stomp protestors and freeze all the donation money an environmentalist or occupy movement would get. Or invoke it during a general strike or major labor disruption to freeze union financing and force people back to work.
There's so many ways this can be abused now that we set the precedent.

I get why it had to be done, because the cops are in mutiny and switched sides... But it doesn't change the implications for future events...

Is there a way to gauge how much public support this declaration is getting?

By Candice said that Tories would meet and talk to protesters and not call them mean names and actually have a dialog with protesters and reach an understanding so I am sure she will so this environmental protesters.

/Sarcasm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Development
Jun 2, 2016

unreal, I am not even in :canada:, and there was a loudass truck horn going off at the university campus I'm at (california of alllll places, gently caress).

https://twitter.com/BahubeshiMayada/status/1494371710556155909?s=20&t=E4u_F3cPgnZS0aXexKtZNA