Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

not a bot posted:

you're lucky to have it for free so you won't play it.

Stop attacking me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Is it ok to play free games through the free tier of geforce now? Did I actually play it, if it never took up space on my drive?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inkj4yop5P8

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

VegasGoat posted:

Is it ok to play free games through the free tier of geforce now? Did I actually play it, if it never took up space on my drive?

Only if you do it in a library.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Dear Esther: Landmark Edition is free (this is the re-re-release, the updated paid version)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/520720/Dear_Esther_Landmark_Edition/

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Rinkles posted:

Dear Esther: Landmark Edition is free (this is the re-re-release, the updated paid version)

Sorry everybody, I’m going to have to play this one.

Angstrom Gothington
Feb 19, 2007

Raise your arms in the big black sky, raise your arms the highest you can, so the whole universe will glow.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Sorry everybody, I’m going to have to play this one.

That's okay, since it's not actually a game. :grin:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Huh? Already in library? I only got the original, right...?

How the gently caress did it end up older activity-wise?!?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think they gave it out to all owners of the original when it came out

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Geemer posted:

How the gently caress did it end up older activity-wise?!?
The date of things you haven't played is the purchase/key activation date. Since it was added to people who bought the original, it'll retroactively have that date from before it even existed.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The date of things you haven't played is the purchase/key activation date. Since it was added to people who bought the original, it'll retroactively have that date from before it even existed.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is it okay to play games I get from the library?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Len posted:

As a library employee: no

Kemian
Jul 26, 2004

Economics is not a science, and never will be!

Len posted:

Your tax dollars paid for the purchase of this game (unless it was a donation I guess), so I'll allow it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Bold of you to assume that i pay taxes, considering i don't even pay for my games

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons is this week’s Epic freebie: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/brothers-a-tale-of-two-sons

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
There will not be ten games better than Brothers this year.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
The Cristales game looks pretty neat. Anyone pay money for that and play it? I'd like a high value good game to sit in my library for free.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's apparently complete garbage

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

There will not be ten games better than Brothers this year.

Brad really was gonna die on that hill huh.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
That's the game by the It Takes Two dev which is in the same vein, right? Any good?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it is Good unless you're not in the mood for something sad

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

it's pretty selfish of Tim to not have given away FF7R and Total War Warhammer by now :colbert:

in case the cops are still watching the house,

bees x1000 posted:

:siren: I am downloading a free game from the Epic store :siren:
yes it's still installed, no I haven't actually launched it yet

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

bees x1000 posted:

yes it's still installed, no I haven't actually launched it yet

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Brothers is really good. Short and sweet. I forget half the games I've played a month after I beat them, but I still have very fond memories of BATOTS even though it's been 6-7 years.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Is this a game to play with the wife or will she hate me for making me play a super sad story?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Brothers doesn't have a proper multiplayer mode (unless they patched one in at some point). You control the two brothers with the two sticks on a single controller - I suppose you could technically play holding a single controller but I don't know how good the experience would be.

Also yeah it's got some sad moments.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Son of Rodney posted:

Is this a game to play with the wife or will she hate me for making me play a super sad story?

It starts with the younger brother remembering how his mother drowned at sea and he couldn't save her. 5 minutes later both brothers are carrying their father to the doctor because he's very sick. So, what do you think?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Mierenneuker posted:

It starts with the younger brother remembering how his mother drowned at sea and he couldn't save her. 5 minutes later both brothers are carrying their father to the doctor because he's very sick. So, what do you think?

Sounds like one of those mediocre games built with a Message. Like papo y yo

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

leper khan posted:

Sounds like one of those mediocre games built with a Message. Like papo y yo

I think this is selling Brothers short. It's a legitimately good game, just because it has hack writing doesn't ruin a pretty good atmosphere and clever two-stick gameplay.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Something else to keep in mind: A two-sentence forum post answering a loaded question is not the best way to gauge the quality or impact of the game's writing or presentation.

Think about if someone were to flippantly say, "Yeah and Vader is actually his father," and just how incomparable that is to the actual dramatic moment.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Something else to keep in mind: A two-sentence forum post answering a loaded question is not the best way to gauge the quality or impact of the game's writing or presentation.

Think about if someone were to flippantly say, "Yeah and Vader is actually his father," and just how incomparable that is to the actual dramatic moment.

If you look at that moment honestly it's real dumb hth.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Brothers... is a concise game that tells a simple fairy tale story without any dialogue or ever overstaying its mechanics. it's well worth an evening of your time.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

leper khan posted:

If you look at that moment honestly it's real dumb hth.

Where can I read all the awesome fiction you've written? I need actually good stuff instead of this vapid tripe.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Where can I read all the awesome fiction you've written? I need actually good stuff instead of this vapid tripe.

I never saw Siskel or Ebert direct a movie. It's almost as if you don't need to be a creator to be a critic :monocle:

Edit: Not saying the other poster is right, just saying that take is dumb.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Ebert co-wrote 3 pretty terrible movies. He was Red Letter Media before Red Letter Media.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Reading about Brothers reminded me of an another freebie from last year? whenever that was the same mechanic. 2 characters and it’s either both sticks or WASD/arrows. Name is like Mordredd or something can’t think without looking back

Which also brings to mind another FREE flash game… Fireboy and Watergirl!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That was Morkredd I think. I only played a little of that but it was interesting

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

From the EGS blurb it seems obvious one of the brothers dies in some kind of contrived cutscene way, probably at the 80% mark, and the end of the game is sick dad being cured and immediately grieving that his life came at the cost of his son's. Because that is how hacky Newberry Award tier writing works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
criticizing media seems so much easier when you don't bother to experience the work first