Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Team Lead texted me at 6:30 this morning that he talked to the HR person last night and she'd be reaching out to me this morning. Perfunctory 10 minute "do you have any questions about <company>" phone call since we could skip the "this is who the contract is with, this is how it works, background checks/clearance/red tape/etc" stuff, sent me the new hire benefits information packet, "look forward to working with you." Interview setup with the lead and one of the other engineers, both of who I've worked closely with for the last three years, 20 minutes from now.

This is happening *very* fast and it's kinda surreal. And I have no idea when it's appropriate to reach out to my current boss about it, I've been on 3 teams over the last 8 years but it's always been internal to the same support contract and with the same company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You bring it up to your current employer when you have a written, signed offer letter returned to your new employer. Congrats.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I got a direct message from a linkedin recruiter yesterday for a sys admin job that is fully remote and pays $50/hr which would be a slight bump in pay from what I'm at now. It's a 18 month contract though and the last contract job I had put a really bad taste in my mouth for them so I'm not sure if I want to pursue it or not. Slight bump in pay and fully remote is nice, but, contract ugh.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Judging by the US salaries that are posted here, $50/hour to be a contractor and presumably have to do all your own accounts, arrange insurance etc. seems like too little.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Judging by the US salaries that are posted here, $50/hour to be a contractor and presumably have to do all your own accounts, arrange insurance etc. seems like too little.

Ah poo poo, you're right I didn't even think of insurance. Ya that's way to low for me then.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
That sounds like a contracting company looking to fill a spot with another, in which case they’d cover all that as a direct hire to the contracting company. I’ve been on estimated length contracts before and still had W2, health insurance and 401k. Not all are 1099 independent contractors.

I’m still in the “look for new opportunities every 2-3 years” phase of my career so I’d look into that position more if it was me.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 17, 2022

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mattfl posted:

I got a direct message from a linkedin recruiter yesterday for a sys admin job that is fully remote and pays $50/hr which would be a slight bump in pay from what I'm at now. It's a 18 month contract though and the last contract job I had put a really bad taste in my mouth for them so I'm not sure if I want to pursue it or not. Slight bump in pay and fully remote is nice, but, contract ugh.

You generally want to at least double your hourly W2 pay. So if you make $25/hr right now, $50/hr should be enough extra to pay for bennies and taxes.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

You generally want to at least double your hourly W2 pay. So if you make $25/hr right now, $50/hr should be enough extra to pay for bennies and taxes.

Ya I'd nee more in the range of $90/95 if I followed that rule which I think is a good rule to follow.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I don't know what kind of rule of thumb that is, you definitely want to look at your specific tax situation, the cost of health insurance, retirement account options, and how earnings you'll shave off if you take PTO. $50/hr is $103k at working all year with 0 time off, you're going to knock 25k off that in PTO and insurance before you even get to taxes. Not to mention the fact that contract work is risky for you because you have 0 recourse if they want to terminate the contract.

I wouldn't take a contract role at any rate unless I had no other options personally. I've seen too many people get absolutely hosed over on them.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Depends if you're W2 or 1099 contracting there's a difference.

W2 you're just an employee of a staffing firm like Robert Half or Apex, but assigned to another company to do the actual work. Robert Half handles payroll taxes, and offers terrible benefits, but you don't have to deal with self employment taxes and all that stuff. You get your paycheck every 2 weeks.

1099 is when you contract directly with the company, and you handle your own taxes, no benefits, etc. When you get paid will be detailed in the contract with the corp. This is not unheard of but is more rare.

1099 contracting is when you really need to like triple your desired hourly rate to account for everything. W2 contracting.... maybe a 30% premium for no PTO and terrible benefits if benefits are even offered. That was the general rule of thumb a while ago, maybe things have changed recently.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I legit didn't even know people do W2 contracting. I thought it was some kind of a myth.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Thanks guys for all the information. I've been at my current role for a little over 9 years now. Checking out our HR page they actually break down my total compensation including costs of insurance/401k/etc and the $50/hr def would not cover what I'm getting currently. Wasn't really looking to leave but the WFH intrigued me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

i am a moron posted:

I legit didn't even know people do W2 contracting. I thought it was some kind of a myth.

That's usually how Adecco, Kelly, etc do it

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

i am a moron posted:

I've done it. I was a W2 employee for a staffing company and did phone support at a bank way back when. The benefits sucked (nonexistant) but it was good enough for a short term thing while I looked for something better.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Interview was an hour and 40 minutes long. 30 minutes of general AD/powershell/GPO questions where I got to show off a little bit and mostly BSed with their powershell guy about the craziest stuff we've automated, 20 minutes of general troubleshooting methods and domain controller/ldap replications stuff. Since I know both of them, the rest was just talking about flexibility, hours, how the benefits work, compensation, etc. Do you have someone who can take over your projects (yes), how long would it take you to transition (can be done withing the 2 week notice period), is there anything we'd have to share you over for an extended period (probably not outside of 10 minutes questions here or there). The type of work they'd have me start with in the primary domains during ~2 month training/adjustment before giving me a fully EA enabled account and the Azure GA role where I can well and truly break poo poo.

Setting up a meeting with the entire team for early next week, and said to expect an offer by middle/end of next week.

~20% raise. Asked for a full breakdown on the health insurance so I can throw it in a calculator against my current employer's PPO and adjust my ask appropriately. Holy poo poo it's happening.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

CommanderApaul posted:

Interview was an hour and 40 minutes long. 30 minutes of general AD/powershell/GPO questions where I got to show off a little bit and mostly BSed with their powershell guy about the craziest stuff we've automated, 20 minutes of general troubleshooting methods and domain controller/ldap replications stuff. Since I know both of them, the rest was just talking about flexibility, hours, how the benefits work, compensation, etc. Do you have someone who can take over your projects (yes), how long would it take you to transition (can be done withing the 2 week notice period), is there anything we'd have to share you over for an extended period (probably not outside of 10 minutes questions here or there). The type of work they'd have me start with in the primary domains during ~2 month training/adjustment before giving me a fully EA enabled account and the Azure GA role where I can well and truly break poo poo.

Setting up a meeting with the entire team for early next week, and said to expect an offer by middle/end of next week.

~20% raise. Asked for a full breakdown on the health insurance so I can throw it in a calculator against my current employer's PPO and adjust my ask appropriately. Holy poo poo it's happening.

:yotj:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Awww yea

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So I have to submit my ID to my company's HR but they suggest just sending it through email, but that doesn't seem like good opsec. Was it this thread that discussed safe ways to send that stuff?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A file share service with access control, OneDrive or similar.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our HR mandated everyone email their vax card to them.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Our HR mandated everyone email their vax card to them.

Ours did too, I felt fine with that really but that just has my name and birthdate on it and you can scrub the exif data from it easily.

The Fool posted:

A file share service with access control, OneDrive or similar.

Good call, was using a google email anyways so I just shared it via Drive. Thanks!

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 17, 2022

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

skipdogg posted:

They're just keyword searching and blasting out messages.

If you're getting a bunch of messages about something you don't want to work on anymore, I'd remove the keywords they're hitting from your profile. It should cut back the noise. More keywords, more chances you'll show up in someone's search. You can always go back and add them again if you need to.

I used to support a recruiter a few years back and I was talking to her about her job, basically she was just searching for 'senior java' 'austin' on LinkedIn and sending out tons of messages to anyone that came up in the results if they were looking for a new opportunity.

Reminds me I need to take certain words out of my resume, like Yardi and Salesforce

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

This is gonna sound small time compared to what a lot of y'all do but at the school I'm working at we just got a bunch of new switches and stuff like that that I'm responsible for replacing the labs with and I just did one now and it was probably one if the most fun things I've done at this helpdesk job.

It sure beats all the "my printer isn't working" and unplugging/plugging in a cable tickets I usually get. Which is funny since all I did was unplug a bunch of cables.

It's a big deal for me since this is my first like job job in the field, so doing something that feels important in some way kinda puts me in a high. I think I'm going to be changing out the core server stuff at some point so that should be kinda fun too.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

air- posted:

Reminds me I need to take certain words out of my resume, like Yardi and Salesforce

My resume is just this image

I put my email address and "This guy fucks" in the EXIF data.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Skeezy posted:

This is gonna sound small time compared to what a lot of y'all do but at the school I'm working at we just got a bunch of new switches and stuff like that that I'm responsible for replacing the labs with and I just did one now and it was probably one if the most fun things I've done at this helpdesk job.

It sure beats all the "my printer isn't working" and unplugging/plugging in a cable tickets I usually get. Which is funny since all I did was unplug a bunch of cables.

It's a big deal for me since this is my first like job job in the field, so doing something that feels important in some way kinda puts me in a high. I think I'm going to be changing out the core server stuff at some point so that should be kinda fun too.

We all started somewhere. I remember the first time I got to rack a new DL380 and set it up from scratch. It was very fun and exciting to be working on that cool (at the time) stuff. Enjoy it!

15 years later though, I have no desire to ever rack and stack anything ever again.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Oh yeah for sure I'm positive after a while I'll be tired of this but for now it's pretty fun. At least I get to think and use something that I learned about in school. Beats anything else for right now.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Skeezy posted:

A lot of people in this thread who are "big time" are providing less value than this or don't do anything as useful as fixing broken printers every day.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Most useful thing I ever did was outsource all printer work.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

i am a moron posted:

A lot of people in this thread who are "big time" are providing less value than this or don't do anything as useful as fixing broken printers every day.

Fair enough

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

i am a moron posted:

I'll refer you to my post above and you can draw your own conclusions.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

holy gently caress Oracle is the worst

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

are you being sued or trying to use OCI?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

loving peoplesoft, i want to die

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

CLAM DOWN posted:

holy gently caress Oracle is the worst

We have, in addition to many oracle DBs, a full suite of custom Oracle tax software and Exadatas, which are like, cutting edge for 2010

My old director bought all this stuff then yelled at us. "I don't know why y'all love Oracle so much it's so expensive!!"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The only time I know of that I almost got fired was during a PeopleSoft migration. :haw:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Used to work for a retailer that had peoplesoft and exadatas. I stayed as far away from those systems as possible.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020

George H.W. oval office posted:

The things I got from a sort of LinkedIn for Dummies book and poo poo on the internet. It seems to have worked because I got a noticeable uptick in views and recruiters when I redid my profile from generic resume.

1) Have a good picture
2) Have your Headline be a couple bullet points that make you seem cool. Put your desired job title here and not what you currently are, along with some relevant stuff. I did the title I wanted, some bullshit things people like and are related to that position, a leadership trait and a hobby I'm proud of (thru hiker) Example: "Senior DevOps Engineer, Solutions Architect, People Empowerment, Fart Huffer"
3) Your About section essentially is the summary of qualifications paragraph you probably have in your resume of why you're cool. In addition have a bulleted list of bullshit terms and key competencies that will be captured in a recruiter's search.
4) Have ~3 of your best points from your resume under each work experience. I went with 3 and the generic "This company is blah blah blah" that every company page has. You want to give some of your resume away but not all of it. Let them be intrigued by what you've shown.
5) Education and certs. Add them
6) Recommendations. Give them out to everyone you know and try and get some back.
7) Bad at words? Look up people in the positions you want and steal from their profiles. Zero shame in this.
8) LinkedIn skill tests. Do them, they're easy.
9) Connect with any and every recruiter you can find. Join groups.
10) Be active on the platform. You don't necessarily have to post your own content but at least respond and like stuff.

Bing bong so ez you are now in the top 95% of LinkedIn users
This is awesome, and you're awesome. Thank you!

As someone who is changing careers, is it ok to set up the page to highlight my past career? I don't want to put a position in the linkedin profile if I have literally zero experience. I also have a fear of a hiring manager looking at my low number of networks and deciding to pass. Probably an irrational one, but a real one all the same. I grew out my hair during the pandemic, so I feel like I'm catfishing all these recruiting managers- it's great.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Trickortreat posted:

This is awesome, and you're awesome. Thank you!

As someone who is changing careers, is it ok to set up the page to highlight my past career? I don't want to put a position in the linkedin profile if I have literally zero experience. I also have a fear of a hiring manager looking at my low number of networks and deciding to pass. Probably an irrational one, but a real one all the same. I grew out my hair during the pandemic, so I feel like I'm catfishing all these recruiting managers- it's great.

That is definitely an irrational fear. I would be amazed if they even looked at that number. Plus, if you feel bad, just spam link requests to anyone that is even remotely connected to you, your current company, or posts content related to stuff you are interested in.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Skeezy posted:

Oh yeah for sure I'm positive after a while I'll be tired of this but for now it's pretty fun. At least I get to think and use something that I learned about in school. Beats anything else for right now.

I still like getting out a remote office and fixing a problem for someone far more then daily office stuff. Would I want to drive out and plug in cables every day? Not at all, but it makes a nice change.
Also I've fixed a problem for someone and they gave me a cookie. No one has ever given me a cookie for fixing a firewall rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Things I don't like about IT: Punchdowns and making cables, drilling into concrete from the top of ladders, dealing with printers ESPECIALLY barcode printers, cleaning up fallout from lazily executed plans started by my bosses (such as finding out that all 50 firewalls we support are about 8 firmware patches behind lmao), working crazy hours and dealing with poo poo wayyyyy off schedule

Things I do like about IT: Firewalls, Azure, Email (I was shocked this didn't stress me out but it actually is fun getting it all working and set up, running traces etc), server management and setups, AP installs, remoting in and fixing little stuff that perplexed a three letter, learning new poo poo all the time

Things I want to learn but this position isn't helping me to: Automation. The people here want to do everything manually and I guess it's tougher to do automation in an MSP environment, but drat if it doesn't annoy me that computer setups and mundane things like that take as long as they do.