Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Residency Evil posted:

On the topic of windows/doors, the POs just replaced all of the doors/windows in the house with Pella windows/doors, with all of the side doors looking like this:

Is there an easy solution to turn this lock/door in to one that has a keypad?

Three deadbolts on a glass door?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of windows, we have double glazing (or whatever it's called in the USA). It's cold, we have heat (and a humidifier) so I think we'd notice if there was a seal issue in this window, but, the rubber seal on the top of the window on the outside is coming off. It's a long strip going across the top of the window and half of it is just dangling. Looks like the previous owners taped it up and the tape has come off.

Do I just tape it up?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Three deadbolts on a glass door?

Ruff neighborhood.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

redreader posted:

Speaking of windows, we have double glazing (or whatever it's called in the USA). It's cold, we have heat (and a humidifier) so I think we'd notice if there was a seal issue in this window, but, the rubber seal on the top of the window on the outside is coming off. It's a long strip going across the top of the window and half of it is just dangling. Looks like the previous owners taped it up and the tape has come off.

Do I just tape it up?

Inside? Outside? What does it look like?

Regardless of any of that, tape is almost definitely not the correct answer.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Motronic posted:

Business, Finance, and Careers › House Ownership Thread: tape is almost definitely not the correct answer.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Motronic posted:

Regardless of any of that, tape is almost definitely not the correct answer.

Tell my POs that :sigh:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My whole house has these door knobs, probably original to the house pre war, they squeak, rattle, and in the case of the master bathroom, I've almost accidentally locked myself in the room because it's not engaging properly

Is it faster to just buy modern like-replacements*, or attempt to disassemble, clean and re-lube. I've lived in a lot of 100+ year old homes in various states of disrepair so I'm used to putting up with a little "just jiggle the handle" but the doors in this house really really the cake

*trying to retain the character of the house

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

A lot of that can probably be fixed with a thorough disassembly/cleaning/dry lube. But you may fond some of them are just worn out and will remain loose. Depending on what's wrong there are various possibilities.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Worth trying to fix (lube/tighen) the cartridge first. There's so many different sizes that finding a replacement one can be hard. (I just did a pile of them in my house).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

What's the story with lubing garage doors? I know I should hit the tracks and the latch, and presumably the chain just to avoid rust. What I"m curious about is what product to use? I'm seeing a lot of references to lithium grease and also people online saying red bearing grease is fine, but then I'm also seeing a bunch of purpose made lubricants.

1) if I can do this on the cheap with a trip to AutoZone, I'm all about that
2) I guess I'd prefer a spray lubricant just because I'm lazy and dgaf about anything in there, so liberally hosing lube onto chains and tracks is right up my alley
3) I suspect the last time this door saw lubricant was sometime in the Regan administration. First term. Maybe Carter.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Cyrano4747 posted:

What's the story with lubing garage doors? I know I should hit the tracks and the latch, and presumably the chain just to avoid rust. What I"m curious about is what product to use? I'm seeing a lot of references to lithium grease and also people online saying red bearing grease is fine, but then I'm also seeing a bunch of purpose made lubricants.

1) if I can do this on the cheap with a trip to AutoZone, I'm all about that
2) I guess I'd prefer a spray lubricant just because I'm lazy and dgaf about anything in there, so liberally hosing lube onto chains and tracks is right up my alley
3) I suspect the last time this door saw lubricant was sometime in the Regan administration. First term. Maybe Carter.

Yeah, lithium grease is the way to go. I've got a couple of cans of CRC white lithium grease that have lasted for years. They were about $4 when I got them but it looks like they're more like $10 on amazon now.

My door was installed by Precision Doors and they have a video on the spots to hit, generally the hinges, torsion spring if you have it, and the top of the rail:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1lUm7koF2A

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rexxed posted:

Yeah, lithium grease is the way to go.

Agreed. I've always used white lithium grease. It doesn't pick up filth like a lot of other lubricants.

If there's anything on there now pick up a can of brakleen and some shop towels and cleans up all the old stuff and gunk first, then just hit it with lithium every 6 months/year.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I love white lithium. It lasts a while, stays where you put it, and it's great for metal on metal contact.

My last rental house had an old cantilever garage door and it made a ton of noise when opening. A few sprays of white lithium and it was silent, and opened smoothly. I didn't touch it again the 4 years I lived there.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Residency Evil posted:

Ruff neighborhood.

That’s probably some pella proprietary thing that they sell as an option. Did you try their website? I am gonna guess not though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Elephanthead posted:

That’s probably some pella proprietary thing that they sell as an option. Did you try their website? I am gonna guess not though.

Yeah I've dug around but I'm not sure if I've found anything.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What should I be looking for to build 2x 20x20 "accessory buildings" in my yard? Feels like 800sqft is maybe too small for an architect/GC? I reaalllly don't want to be the GC though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Are you OK with just having one plonked down there? At that size, you can get prefabs.

Aside from that, you gotta check codes, zoning, planning permission. You gonna run utilities? What's your soil like, are you gonna put in concrete, foundation, anything like that? Do you need to deal with snow? Are you building on a slope?

These are all answers a GC can give you, but if you are just buying prefab sheds or something, you can maybe get away without it. There's a goon or two around here who have built their own, but they had to do all of the above homework before getting into the design stage and being able to actually price out the costs, materials, and guesstimate labor etc.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
My gutters sing.

When it's windy, the gutters on our new porch sing... 2 distinct tones, so it's at least 2 of the 3 new downspouts. It's been doing this ever since they were installed, I just keep forgetting to figure out how to fix it.

Is there a known cure for something like this? I would suspect something over the exit that blocks the wind or something? Like a plastic diverter/extension or something...Google doesn't have much that I can find, more for rattling, buzzing, or scraping. This is a pretty solid tone, like a gigantic flute or something.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Are you OK with just having one plonked down there? At that size, you can get prefabs.

Prefab is fine, that's actually what we've been looking at

quote:

Aside from that, you gotta check codes, zoning, planning permission. You gonna run utilities? What's your soil like, are you gonna put in concrete, foundation, anything like that? Do you need to deal with snow? Are you building on a slope?

These are all answers a GC can give you, but if you are just buying prefab sheds or something, you can maybe get away without it. There's a goon or two around here who have built their own, but they had to do all of the above homework before getting into the design stage and being able to actually price out the costs, materials, and guesstimate labor etc.

All the planning/zoning/utilities/subcontractor stuff is exactly what I *dont* want to deal with. I definitely want to outsource all that, since when I look at it the scope of the project is massive and I can't possibly seem to wrap my head around it.

At the same time, everything I'm hearing suggests it would be tough to find a GC to do such a small project.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

because the rest of the walls and floors are going to exchange heat more than the windows.

In what context is this true?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

devicenull posted:

At the same time, everything I'm hearing suggests it would be tough to find a GC to do such a small project.

There's lots of tailgate contractors that would take on a small job like this. I'd start with a talking to your building department to determine exactly what is allowed/required, and then if you need drawings talk to a drafter or a contractor that does design/build.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

My gutters sing.

When it's windy, the gutters on our new porch sing... 2 distinct tones, so it's at least 2 of the 3 new downspouts. It's been doing this ever since they were installed, I just keep forgetting to figure out how to fix it.

Is there a known cure for something like this? I would suspect something over the exit that blocks the wind or something? Like a plastic diverter/extension or something...Google doesn't have much that I can find, more for rattling, buzzing, or scraping. This is a pretty solid tone, like a gigantic flute or something.

IMO the solution is to call the people who installed your new gutters and tell them to install them properly at no additional cost to you.

This is not your problem.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

IMO the solution is to call the people who installed your new gutters and tell them to install them properly at no additional cost to you.

This is not your problem.

Is this an installation problem? I can see if they were super loose and rattling, but it's definitely different than that. They're not just shaking, they're making a very solid tone.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Sloppy posted:

I'm not the poster, but windows generally make up less than 10% of your "building envelope"
...So in that case.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The installers are gonna laugh and hang up on you

Can you get a rubber flap on the downspout with a magnet to hold it closed, but not so strong that it won't open fully in a storm? Or a very nonrestrictive grate on the bottom and/or top?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Sloppy posted:

A functioning building envelope loses about 75% of its heat through the walls, floors and ceiling, and only about 25% through the windows!

(assuming a 2 story house with unfinished basement, pitched composition asphalt roof and 15% window area on the envelope)

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Paint and sills are in too bad of repair to make it financially feasible to revert to cedar clapboard siding on our house for our residing project. The wood itself is in great condition- probably old growth cedar- but the P(PP?)O decided to slap vinyl up instead of investing in a good paint job, and the vinyl guys cut out hunks of labor intensive windowsill that would need to be replaced.

Boo. At least it’ll look nicer than it does now.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

DaveSauce posted:

Is this an installation problem? I can see if they were super loose and rattling, but it's definitely different than that. They're not just shaking, they're making a very solid tone.
I'm betting you're getting the blowing-across-the-beer-bottle effect: the top of your downspouts are acting as a flute. I have no idea what you do about this.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Shrink or close off the ends of the beer bottle with some sort of flap

There's got to be a product for this, you can't be the only person on the planet with pan pipes for a gutter system

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm betting you're getting the blowing-across-the-beer-bottle effect: the top of your downspouts are acting as a flute. I have no idea what you do about this.

That's exactly what it sounds like to me. I dunno if the problem originates at the top or the bottom, though... so to fix it I'd need to know which end to look at.

Hadlock posted:

Shrink or close off the ends of the beer bottle with some sort of flap

There's got to be a product for this, you can't be the only person on the planet with pan pipes for a gutter system

That's what I thought! Google isn't much help, but I might just be poo poo at finding it. Everything I've found talks about shaking/rattling/etc., and unless the supports are looser than they look, I can't visually spot any issues with the install.

Definitely going to try to make a video next time we get some wind... but in the meantime I'm thinking some plastic extension/diverters might help.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
What about a short length of that triangle sponge looking stuff I see at HD in the gutter aisle that prevents sticks and leaves from falling down the downspout but supposedly let's water filter through? Seems like you'd just need something to interrupt the air flowing over the orifice.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you were in the 3D printer thread someone would have designed you some grate that covers both ends but still lets water through

You could probably take a hole saw drill to the side(s?) of a largeish red automotive funnel and drop it in the top and maybe that'll fix it

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I would suggest maybe grabbing some gutter guards just for the section getting loud.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tune the downspouts.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

If it happens to be the bottom end, you could probably disrupt the effect by cutting some small notches in the edges.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A functioning building envelope loses about 75% of its heat through the walls, floors and ceiling, and only about 25% through the windows!

(assuming a 2 story house with unfinished basement, pitched composition asphalt roof and 15% window area on the envelope)

Gotcha. I misread that you were saying windows had a better R-value than other assemblies.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I ask this question with the caveat that I’m stupid and know nothing about wiring. We want to replace our ceiling fans with something nice and modern looking. They are currently wired to two wall switches, one for light and one for the fan off/on. What do I need to look for in a ceiling fan with light that would allow me to use my switches? Can you always wire up the fan? I see so many listings that include remotes - can I also wire these in? Or they include a wall control that’s hideous and weirdly sized.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Recently replaced 4 grandma fans with modern ones (fanimation - we like them).

If you have 2 switches for them, 99% chance they were wired 12/3 or 14/3, with the hot and common wires going to fan motor and light. When you replace, you can do it the same way and ditch the remote altogether, which is what we did. The remote brain that goes up in the fan is just totally unused.

On one fan we did where there was a light, we ended up just mounting the remote next to a single switch. The switch will still turn the whole unit on/off. There are fancy switches that basically act as hardwired remote that fit a 1 gang box to control fan and light without a loose remote.

For our 2 gang lights we use a a generic LED dimmer for the light and a 3 speed fan controller for the fan. Everything works pretty well for us.

I’m not sure if you can both hardwire switches and use the remote. Well you could, but if you switch them off the remote won’t do anything, so that’s probably pointless.

TLDR you are already wired correctly- rejoice, buy whatever fan and skip the remote wiring and just wire the fan switch to black/ fan motor and the light switch to blue/light on the fan (vast majority of models).

timepenguin
Jul 1, 2006

Precisely.
Yeah you can skip the receiver if you want to continue to use your switches, however depending on the fan you may have to cut the wires as some use connectors to the receiver. You also might lose functionality if the fan doesn’t have pull down chains but you could replace the switches. You can also use the remote and forgo one of the switches, ie cap off one of the switches and put the remote over that section of the plate, unless you want to do a patch work.

So I’ve pulled out some old shelf/bar top and cabinets that the po had in a recessed area in our bonus room. My intention is to build some built-ins and mount the tv within.

I’ve sketched out a little of what I’d like to build but should I build them right into the existing walls or should I frame the built-ins first for a snug fit then attach to the walls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you're really going to put uprights on either side of the TV, paint behind them and put them in last so when the next owner wants to have > 40" TV they can put one in. Or at least give yourself room to put a 65" TV in there