Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

No. Maybe I'm a rube but the Emergencies Act seems like the thing you invoke when nothing else has worked, and the government hasn't tried much of anything. If you want to change fintrac then pass a bill.

Like they're seriously arguing there's some missing jurisdiction or power over border crossings or downtown Ottawa that they need in order to deal with this? Get real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kraftwerk posted:

My only fear about the emergencies act is that the Conservatives will use it to curb stomp protestors and freeze all the donation money an environmentalist or occupy movement would get. Or invoke it during a general strike or major labor disruption to freeze union financing and force people back to work.

They would do that anyway, Emergency Act or no.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Madkal posted:

By Candice said that Tories would meet and talk to protesters and not call them mean names and actually have a dialog with protesters and reach an understanding so I am sure she will so this environmental protesters.

/Sarcasm

Just like Kenney did with Indigenous protesters blocking the rail lines! Hold on, getting a note passed to me here

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The Coutts hug a thon should be all you need to know about the future of right wing protests in Canada.

Allah himself couldn't have crafted a better metaphor

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

pokeyman posted:

No. Maybe I'm a rube but the Emergencies Act seems like the thing you invoke when nothing else has worked, and the government hasn't tried much of anything. If you want to change fintrac then pass a bill.

Like they're seriously arguing there's some missing jurisdiction or power over border crossings or downtown Ottawa that they need in order to deal with this? Get real.

It sounds like they're going to pass a bill to make the Fintrac stuff permanent but I'm assuming the issue is that takes on average what, 1-3 months of they streamline things? A bill can't cut off financial support from the convoy in the immediate future given most of the finance related changes AFAIK can't be made without the full parliamentary process without invoking the Emergencies Act.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

https://twitter.com/OttawaPolice/status/1494373226016878597

Also someone put together a composite live feed of Ottawa so you can compulsively watch everything going down in real time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhuKro75wsU

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

Dolash posted:

This whole situation's just made me realize how out of touch I've gotten with politics in my own country, province, and city after years of rubbernecking the American political car crash. Does anyone have any tips for podcasts, newspapers, good twitter follows or the like for keeping up to date? I'll take B.C.-specific if you've got 'em. The OP mentions the big names, but I'm hoping I can do better than the Globe and Mail.

The Tyee is pretty solid.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It sounds like they're going to pass a bill to make the Fintrac stuff permanent but I'm assuming the issue is that takes on average what, 1-3 months of they streamline things? A bill can't cut off financial support from the convoy in the immediate future given most of the finance related changes AFAIK can't be made without the full parliamentary process without invoking the Emergencies Act.

If that's true about how long it would take to get a lowercase-e emergency bill through parliament if you shoved all other business to the side, and if the fintrac stuff is somehow vital to handling this, then I guess I can see the argument. I refuse to believe that's the only possible timeline, but I haven't supplied any evidence that it's bullshit.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Dolash posted:

This whole situation's just made me realize how out of touch I've gotten with politics in my own country, province, and city after years of rubbernecking the American political car crash. Does anyone have any tips for podcasts, newspapers, good twitter follows or the like for keeping up to date? I'll take B.C.-specific if you've got 'em. The OP mentions the big names, but I'm hoping I can do better than the Globe and Mail.

https://www.canadaland.com/

https://www.nationalobserver.com/

https://thetyee.ca/

https://briarpatchmagazine.com/

https://rabble.ca/

https://thenarwhal.ca/

https://ricochet.media/

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

You can use an Order in Council to basically do anything you want short of abducting and murdering specific citizens, so I don't buy this reasoning.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Dolash posted:

See if there's any crowdfunded local news in your area (and if you're in a big city, "your area" might mean neighbourhood), might be worth a read or even tossing a few dollars their way. Obviously no need to doxx yourself, but if you're willing to be more specific than "BC" maybe someone will have suggestions.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Depends OiC's aren't unlimited, does an already passed Act of Parliament confer that power to the Cabinet?

My go-to example I know, is that the governor in council can classify firearms by name via OiC into restricted or prohibited, since it's a power granted to them via the Criminal code.

You can't Magick an OiC into being unless parliament has said you can.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/1494370133246160898

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

pokeyman posted:

If that's true about how long it would take to get a lowercase-e emergency bill through parliament if you shoved all other business to the side, and if the fintrac stuff is somehow vital to handling this, then I guess I can see the argument. I refuse to believe that's the only possible timeline, but I haven't supplied any evidence that it's bullshit.

It's the only possible timeline unless there were unanimous consent to fast-track such a bill. What makes you think that could happen, given the current composition of the House of Commons?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

I don't think there's any situation where using children as human shields is going to be 'for a good cause' because it requires the people being protested to be unwilling to mow down children. Even then, the risk it could happen by accident exists.

Yeah so this is the thing. Civil disobedience is a valid protest tactic. But you go into it with the knowledge that you are risking fines, imprisonment, injury and death. There is a very real chance the cops are going to come at you As an adult, you have the agency to make that choice. A child does not. As a parent of a child, you have a responsibility to minimise their risk of injury and death. Putting your kids in the middle of an illegal protest action is the exact opposite of that, and depending on the age of the kids, they may not even be able to object.

Like, this goes for the people who stuck their kids in a sleeping dragon at Fairy Creek just as much as it goes for the convoy asshats, although the convoy asshats have been way more open about using the kids as shields specifically as a tactic, which is even more despicable.

T.C. posted:

I'm sure there are situations involving protest about things that are direct threats to children where having them staring down authority would make sense.

Can you name one? Like I'm sure the convoy asshats have some convoluted logic of "I'm just protecting my kids from the evil poison vaccine", and there's a very roundabout philosophical argument for putting kids on the line at an environmental protest because the future of the environment affects them more. But I don't think either of those cases represent direct threats to children in the same way that putting them in front of riot police does.

This is also personal to me. You know, I had a moment, while blocking the trucks on Terminal Avenue in Vancouver the other weekend, when it crossed my mind that I could, practically speaking, have brought my kid along in the bike trailer. And I immediately dismissed that thought. We were staring down cops who had threatened to arrest people, as well as a bunch of right-wing psychos in giant trucks. There is no loving way I would have brought my kid anywhere near that, and as a parent I was being extra careful to keep myself out of harm's way as much as possible, because I have a responsibility to my kid. To do otherwise is just willful negligence.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Also https://maisonneuve.org/

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

tagesschau posted:

It's the only possible timeline unless there were unanimous consent to fast-track such a bill. What makes you think that could happen, given the current composition of the House of Commons?

It just happened with the lovely conversion therapy ban for one thing.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

pokeyman posted:

I agree with you, to me the real issue is not the protest, it’s the police chain of command breaking and OPS going rogue, and that issue should be dealt with directly rather than the feds finding a roundabout way to do the cops’ job for them.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

PartyCrown posted:

Just be sure to ignore any op eds by Patrick Condon, an anti-everything boomer nimby

Tyee reporting on Vancouver's homeless and toxic drug crisis is good.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Starks posted:

I agree with you, to me the real issue is not the protest, it’s the police chain of command breaking and OPS going rogue, and that issue should be dealt with directly rather than the feds finding a roundabout way to do the cops’ job for them.

Yeah, this is the thing, the only thing that has arguably necessitated the use of the Emergencies Act is OPS completely failing to do their job from day one. There was a perfectly normal lawful solution to these protests and all it required was the barest of preparation and not allowing them to encamp.

The fact that it's been three weeks, they've completely lost control of the situation, and OPS themselves are not following lawful orders are a big problem, but it's questionable how much of that is being solved with the Emergencies Act.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 17, 2022

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Bleck posted:

Why would they need to do this when they can just send in the RCMP to bust heads and snipe folks with the unilateral enthusiastic support of every white person in the country.

I know what you are getting at, but overly broad generalisations don't help

I know plenty of white people who got their faces kicked in at environmental protests or supporting first nations

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

infernal machines posted:

Yeah, this is the thing, the only thing that has arguably necessitated the use of the Emergencies Act is OPS completely failing to do their job from day one. There was a perfectly normal lawful solution to these protests and all it required was the barest of preparation and not allowing them to encamp.

The fact that it's been three weeks, they've completely lost control of the situation, and OPS themselves are not following lawful order are a big problem, but it's questionable how much of that is being solved with the Emergencies Act.

On top of this, the opposition and the media doing their damnedest to make sure everyone blamed Trudeau and not OPS/the province for the problem probably didn't help. This was quickly reflected in polls showing he had a poor rating on how he was handling the protests so it's not exactly surprising he felt he needed to do something.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
On the subject of OPS: lol. lmao.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

pokeyman posted:

You're technically right in that the Ontario government and police haven't done anything to prevent/de-escalate/end the occupation, and that they could theoretically take action. However, using that as an argument against invoking the emergencies act falls flat because the provincial and police inaction is intentional.

It's not an act-worthy "emergency" because they tried everything and nothing worked. It's an emergency because they refuse, and have refused, to do anything of note. The inaction is a significant part of the justification, even if Trudeau hasn't outright stated that.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Randalor posted:

Thankfully, it reads more that he's angry that it reached the point where it was necessary, not angry about the act itself.

That's how I read it. Also, it's the Bloc's literal job to keep the feds the gently caress out of Quebec at all costs, so they have to oppose the use of the act.

No surprises here.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

On the subject of OPS: lol. lmao.

Little did we know, Defund the Police would wildly succeed by the cops abolishing themselves.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

There are a whole lot more cops around in the livestreams as of the last little while. Sounds like the convoyers are mostly arguing about who will go and who will stay when poo poo goes down.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Orthanc6 posted:

Little did we know, Defund the Police would wildly succeed by the cops abolishing themselves.

It's too bad they're still spending money, otherwise this would be an incredible triumph.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The dipshits claimed they moved their trucks into a different formation to "make them harder to tow" but apparently it's just to keep people from leaving to keep their numbers up.

One of the stars of the shitshow is trying to leave because he has the trailer owned by the company that fired him over this poo poo attached to his truck, and if he doesn't return it, it is essentially stolen. The dipshits themselves are trying to negotiate with the people in front of him to let him leave and trying to convince him not to leave. They're harassing the company that owns the trailer. He doesn't even know if he has insurance right now.

One of the streaming dipshits is trying to convince the guy who's blocking him that if he moves to let him out, he could be arrested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ecoG6YAPac

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Watching both the Ottawa municipal government and the convoy melt down simultaneously is surprisingly entertaining, for someone who doesn't live in Ottawa. That said, I hope they don't get too stupid out there.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Watching both the Ottawa municipal government and the convoy melt down simultaneously is surprisingly entertaining, for someone who doesn't live in Ottawa. That said, I hope they don't get too stupid out there.

I think I speak for everyone in Toronto when I say: for once, it's not us!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

PartyCrown posted:

pokeyman posted:

See if there's any crowdfunded local news in your area (and if you're in a big city, "your area" might mean neighbourhood), might be worth a read or even tossing a few dollars their way. Obviously no need to doxx yourself, but if you're willing to be more specific than "BC" maybe someone will have suggestions.

Thanks! These are all great suggestions, I'll load up and try to take the politics of the place I actually live as seriously as the politics I watch out of morbid fascination.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Powershift posted:

The dipshits claimed they moved their trucks into a different formation to "make them harder to tow" but apparently it's just to keep people from leaving to keep their numbers up.

One of the stars of the shitshow is trying to leave because he has the trailer owned by the company that fired him over this poo poo attached to his truck, and if he doesn't return it, it is essentially stolen. The dipshits themselves are trying to negotiate with the people in front of him to let him leave and trying to convince him not to leave. They're harassing the company that owns the trailer. He doesn't even know if he has insurance right now.

One of the streaming dipshits is trying to convince the guy who's blocking him that if he moves to let him out, he could be arrested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ecoG6YAPac

Straight into my loving veins!

More of this please.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Dr. VooDoo posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1494216634822766594?s=20&t=boiTrQVG5asXbdjcvGKzjQ

The big brain Bazinga boy South African apartheid era gem mine heir down here in the states has come down on the side of your white supremacists, shockingly!

For anyone that missed it

Lol what a loving piece of poo poo.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

:laffo: he deleted it? What a coward

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Another Bill posted:

I think I speak for everyone in Toronto when I say: for once, it's not us!

It’s frankly shocking, Ottawa is sleepyburg, normally nothing happens here! That’s a big part of the charm!

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah so this is the thing. Civil disobedience is a valid protest tactic. But you go into it with the knowledge that you are risking fines, imprisonment, injury and death. There is a very real chance the cops are going to come at you As an adult, you have the agency to make that choice. A child does not. As a parent of a child, you have a responsibility to minimise their risk of injury and death. Putting your kids in the middle of an illegal protest action is the exact opposite of that, and depending on the age of the kids, they may not even be able to object.

Like, this goes for the people who stuck their kids in a sleeping dragon at Fairy Creek just as much as it goes for the convoy asshats, although the convoy asshats have been way more open about using the kids as shields specifically as a tactic, which is even more despicable.

Can you name one? Like I'm sure the convoy asshats have some convoluted logic of "I'm just protecting my kids from the evil poison vaccine", and there's a very roundabout philosophical argument for putting kids on the line at an environmental protest because the future of the environment affects them more. But I don't think either of those cases represent direct threats to children in the same way that putting them in front of riot police does.

This is also personal to me. You know, I had a moment, while blocking the trucks on Terminal Avenue in Vancouver the other weekend, when it crossed my mind that I could, practically speaking, have brought my kid along in the bike trailer. And I immediately dismissed that thought. We were staring down cops who had threatened to arrest people, as well as a bunch of right-wing psychos in giant trucks. There is no loving way I would have brought my kid anywhere near that, and as a parent I was being extra careful to keep myself out of harm's way as much as possible, because I have a responsibility to my kid. To do otherwise is just willful negligence.
I'm sick and tired of all sorts of media treating the occupation with kid gloves, their tactics have been utterly abhorrent from the start, like bringing their children to essentially act as shields. Demonstrations in a downtown core are nothing new, setting up trucks blasting diesel exhaust and horns right next to people's homes day and night for weeks on end becomes a danger to the health of anyone unfortunate enough to be living there.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ChickenDoodle posted:

Straight into my loving veins!

More of this please.

Pat King's truck got identified because he flashed his hotel on the live-stream. He has been screaming "hold the line" from his hotel room all week, and is now telling people on the ground to stay and get arrested while he runs away, and they're pissed off at him for it. They're calling him out every chance they get. He keeps repeating to everyone that he's an investigative journalist.

He started out begging people not to protest his house because that's his home. He has since moved on to threatening violence.

He's livestreaming a conversation with someone and every time she calls him out on his stupid antivaxx poo poo he doubles down and gets dumber or deflects.

He's now trying to argue that saying "the population of the Anglo-saxon race is being diminished" isn't racist, and that "Mr Trudeau, somebody's gonna catch a bullet" in response to being kicked off a flight isn't violent.

This little old lady is destroying him and he's live streaming it because he thinks it makes him look good.

She's either a cop or a therapist. He really needs both.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 17, 2022

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Cocaine Bear posted:

For anyone that missed it

Lol what a loving piece of poo poo.

drat this rich white South African guy is starting to give me some racist vibes hbu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Elon Musk really really seriously needs to shut the ever loving gently caress up already period. Like what a deeply cynical constantly trolling rear end in a top hat. Ever since Trump got banned from twitter it's always either him or Joe Rogan it seems doing this poo poo constantly.

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 17, 2022