Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Or drink at all. Or watch a movie. Or show an ankle.

C'mon, no one goes to the Kingdom for a quality-of-life improvement.

I knew a teacher that took a gig there because he was an alcoholic and addicted to hookers, so he went to sober himself up. He somehow lasted the year of his contract, but he literally disappeared off the face of the earth after that, nuking all his social media accounts in the process. I even searched the online white pages for his name and all the records were really old. I guess he died.

Futanari Damacy posted:

It's unfair to compare a country we all hate to one that's our ally and even worse :mad:

But 70% good, 30% bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Atopian posted:

Aren't most of the more laborious visa requirements just mirrors of what Chinese citizens are required to do to get a visa to the respective countries?

I never had to get a full physical or ultrasound prior to getting a visa to live in other countries before I lived in China.

e: said physical and ultrasound was performed in China which was extra weird and the form had lots of questions to make sure I didn’t have gay blood or history of mental illnesses and something.

Plus, yeah having a couple local police come knocking at your door every few months was never not an unsettling surprise.

sticksy fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 15, 2022

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Jusupov posted:

To get my visa to enter china I had to send all the paperwork to the embassy along with some money, and they sent me my passport back in an open envelope.

Friend teaching in Korea needed his Law Degree (original sheepskin) for the University to verify him. When he got it back it was obvious that it had been on someone's desk collecting wrinkles and spilled coffee.

The same place smudged rubber stamp ink on mine and you could tell someone tried to clean it with a damp cloth.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/a_palf/status/1492750910887448582?s=21

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Horatius Bonar posted:

I can't think of a western country that requires a letter of invitation, or even proof of a round-trip plane ticket. Or asks which hotel you're staying at. And it better be a hotel, I don't know what happens if you're staying with a friend living there.
last time i flew to the states in the early-10s I had to pay to get a 'letter of invitation' (esta), and as part of that process provided personal information, my hotel booking, and proof of a round-trip plane ticket.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

PITY BONER posted:

But 70% good, 30% bad?

10% Oil, 90% dogshit.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

misread show an ankle as shove an auntie

Cadmiel
Sep 29, 2006

Horatius Bonar posted:

Absolutely not.

I can't think of a western country that requires a letter of invitation, or even proof of a round-trip plane ticket. Or asks which hotel you're staying at. And it better be a hotel, I don't know what happens if you're staying with a friend living there.

And apparently now fingerprints?? Must be new.

Going to a country without a reciprocal visa arrangement with your country always sucks, but mainland China is up there with Russia for not making it easy.

And if you want a Z visa now to actually spend enough time there to get an idea of daily life, I think the process is still "lol get hosed"

The USA asks where you're going to stay as a basic part of the visa application, and requires a 10-print for all visas except for kids under 14, adults over 79, or official visas. Most other countries don't do a 10-print and settle for thumbs and/or index fingers.

The much bigger problem with China isn't getting the visa to get in, but all the arbitrary exit bans to leave.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

sticksy posted:

I never had to get a full physical or ultrasound prior to getting a visa to live in other countries before I lived in China.

e: said physical and ultrasound was performed in China which was extra weird and the form had lots of questions to make sure I didn’t have gay blood or history of mental illnesses and something.

Plus, yeah having a couple local police come knocking at your door every few months was never not an unsettling surprise.

When I changed jobs from Korea to China the first time. I had to get a medical check up before I was allowed to get the visa. So I got one at the local hospital, (I lived in a rural area). Turns out that wasn't good enough, so I got another at the hospital at the Regional centre. That also wasn't good enough. So I had to take days off work to make the trip up to Busan to get an expensive medical check up at the big fancy foreigner hospital which would be accepted.

And then once I arrived in China, I had to get all those same tests done in Chengdu, because China doesn't trust filthy foreign medicine.

Blistex posted:

Friend teaching in Korea needed his Law Degree (original sheepskin) for the University to verify him. When he got it back it was obvious that it had been on someone's desk collecting wrinkles and spilled coffee.

The same place smudged rubber stamp ink on mine and you could tell someone tried to clean it with a damp cloth.

When I worked in Asan the Board of Education needed my original degree. (Stamped and apostilled). After working there 3 years I asked for it back and they said no. No reason, just no, we wont give back your degree. So for every subsequent job I always use an authorized, stamped, verified blah de blah-ed photocopy. Coz the bloody Uni charged me multiple hundreds of dollars to reprint me my degree certificate.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

sticksy posted:

i wonder if theres any studies done on if the full exams nearly every chinese person gets annually help with the early discovery of potential issues. i go every year cuz my company pays for it and it involves all the bloodwork and poo poo of a physical in the states but also ultrasounds, ECGs, chest xrays, etc... I assume it must help somewhat?

last time they told me i had some calcium buildup in my kidneys and to drink more water and less coffee unless i want kidney stones so i did appreciate that to scare me into better hydration lol

with the police checking up on foreigners thing, i've heard this before and i never had police come to my place once in [way too long] years of living in china. idk if im just lucky or just I cuz I always lived in big-ish cities with too many foreigners for them to keep tabs on or what. i guess small town cops are bored.

one time I did get a phone call from the local paichusuo in chengdu asking if I still lived at my address cuz I guess the lease they had on file had expired and I said I did and they just said "ok" and that was it.

in shanghai now you can't even register at police stations in most of the city, you have to use an online portal. i say most of the city cuz there are a select number of neighborhoods you have to not only register in person but with your landlord physically present with their original housing deed and poo poo, which is about 5 levels above what you usually need when registering. i found this out when I moved into one!

luckily my landlord also lived in the neighborhood and was cool so he came down.

we asked why and the police officer told us multiple people in this area were running a huge scam renting apartments themselves then illegally subleasing them foreigners at massively jacked up rates which is a very good grift imo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ailumao posted:

with the police checking up on foreigners thing, i've heard this before and i never had police come to my place once in [way too long] years of living in china. idk if im just lucky or just I cuz I always lived in big-ish cities with too many foreigners for them to keep tabs on or what. i guess small town cops are bored.

You're lucky. I had the cops drop by six-ish times in Chengdu. Never a big deal, just had to show my passport and they left, but annoying.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

yeah one time I was at a friends house when they came by. idk if they have a list or what cuz it seems to be "never" or "constant" with no in between for checking up.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Funny thing is I went by the local PD after vacation once since you're supposed to re-register and they were just like "why are you bothering us, we've never heard of that" and shooed me out. It's not like my neighborhood cops were super zealous.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

one place i lived at they were crazy about that and would call me to come down to update things if they got ping'd I re-entered or something (i guess i got phone calls over visits, in retrospect) but yeah I also got "wtf why are you doing this isn't something you need to do" in other places.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

You're lucky though if they were at least on top of things and accurate about it.

I had a whole thing last year where a cop made a mistake but she was the cop that ran the whole thing, and they thought I had lived somewhere once that I didn't live. She refused to accept "I've never lived there, I've never even been to that part of town, I don't know this place at all." As far as she was concerned, if the little app on her phone said I lived there then I must have lived there even though it made absolutely zero sense for me to live there and there was no other evidence of me being there at any time in my life.

It took a whole day to get straightened out.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Ailumao posted:

yeah one time I was at a friends house when they came by. idk if they have a list or what cuz it seems to be "never" or "constant" with no in between for checking up.

Yeah, I've never had the police come calling randomly at my house.
One time they came by because one of my housemates was a Bad Man.
One time they came by because weird covid requirements.
Otherwise silent.

I do register my address when I move house and exit-reenter the country, despite sometimes being told I don't have to, because sometimes I'm told I *do* have to, and I'd rather not try to explain the former to the latter.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

what'd your housemate do that made him bad?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

BrainDance posted:

what'd your housemate do that made him bad?

A vast list that I shudder to recall. Theft, violence, threats, being really lovely.
The police coming to our door was something about a prostitute, I think?
He was the friend of an acquaintance and I lasted ~3 months in that house.
I had been house-sharing for my entire adult life up to that point, but never since.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

once i lived in a very strange building in chengdu where half the rooms on the floor i lived on were small-ish, 1-2 room apartments and the other half were a very cheap business hotel's rooms. I was surrounded on both sides by hotel rooms. opposite me were some actual neighbors.

I had a handful random ladies come knocking asking if I'd "ordered" them, then realize they had the wrong room when a foreign goon opened up the door.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
We never had the cops show up at our place, maybe because our apartment was probably rented in the name of our Chinese employer? We did once have the sink blow up, which was exciting but ultimately ruined Valentine's Day 2017.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
When the two Michaels got arrested, we were planning to visit my in-laws in Hainan. I told my wife about this requirement, which we'd never done before, and anyway she'd never heard of it so it didn't exist. Not even pointing it out on the official entry reform worked. At the end she just said if the police ever came she'd ask a family Party member to sort it out.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
not believing that laws are actually written is a perfectly rational attitude towards the law in asia like half to 2/3 the time

contracts are real iffy too, gotta go do the drinking rigamarole to actually trust peeps

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

BrainDance posted:

You're lucky though if they were at least on top of things and accurate about it.

I had a whole thing last year where a cop made a mistake but she was the cop that ran the whole thing, and they thought I had lived somewhere once that I didn't live. She refused to accept "I've never lived there, I've never even been to that part of town, I don't know this place at all." As far as she was concerned, if the little app on her phone said I lived there then I must have lived there even though it made absolutely zero sense for me to live there and there was no other evidence of me being there at any time in my life.

It took a whole day to get straightened out.

One of the benefits of Chengdu is everyone is too busy napping to cause trouble like that.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Atopian posted:

A vast list that I shudder to recall. Theft, violence, threats, being really lovely.
The police coming to our door was something about a prostitute, I think?
He was the friend of an acquaintance and I lasted ~3 months in that house.
I had been house-sharing for my entire adult life up to that point, but never since.

oh man his social credit score must be in the toilet!!

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I never had the cops show up at my door in Beijing and the most trouble I had when re-registering every year were the cops staring at my passport for 15 minutes and then asking what country am I from, even though it was all there in the previous year's paper with exactly the same information.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
yeah they came every 6 months, I never registered so every time they just told me to go register tomorrow (I never did)

also one weird trick was just not answering if anyone knocks the door like a cop, there's so many empty apartments they give up pretty quickly

when I was renting from the local police chief I did answer though out of politeness

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Seth Pecksniff posted:

oh man his social credit score must be in the toilet!!

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Vesi posted:

yeah they came every 6 months, I never registered so every time they just told me to go register tomorrow (I never did)

I'm calling bullshit, that registration paper is like an electricity/water/gas bill in France, you can't do anything without one. Without bribes anyway.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I wish this wasn't paywalled because it looks like an interesting read

https://www.wsj.com/articles/beijing-weighs-how-far-to-go-in-backing-putin-on-ukraine-11645050771

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

wsj posted:

Russian President Vladimir Putin, left, meeting his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping in Beijing earlier this month for the opening of the Winter Olympics and to discuss the two countries’ ties.
Russian President Vladimir Putin, left, meeting his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping in Beijing earlier this month for the opening of the Winter Olympics and to discuss the two countries’ ties. ALEXEI DRUZHININ/ZUMA PRESS

Beijing Weighs How Far to Go in Backing Putin on Ukraine
Behind closed doors, China’s top leaders have debated how to respond to the Russia-Ukraine crisis without hurting China’s own interests
By Lingling Wei
Updated Feb. 16, 2022 5:38 pm ET

China’s top leaders have spent days weighing how far Beijing should go to back Russian President Vladimir Putin and how to manage a partnership many call a marriage of convenience as opposed to one of conviction.

With the threat of a Russian invasion of Ukraine looming, China’s final arbiter of power—the seven-member Politburo Standing Committee led by President Xi Jinping —has largely disappeared from public view.

Behind closed doors, according to people with knowledge of the matter, one topic of intense discussion is how to respond to the Russian-Ukraine crisis and back Moscow without hurting China’s own interests.

The brooding has gone on for more than a week, practically since Mr. Putin got on a plane back to Moscow after meeting with Mr. Xi and attending the Feb. 4 opening of the Beijing Winter Olympics. The unusually extended discussion underlines how urgent and delicate the situation is for Beijing despite Mr. Xi’s public stance of support for Russia.

A Russian tank taking part in a military exercise earlier this month in Nizhny Novgorod.

PHOTO: RUSSIAN DEFENSE MINISTRY /ASSOCIATED PRESS

A Ukrainian service member pointing an antitank weapon in the nation’s Lviv region late last month.

PHOTO: UKRAINIAN DEFENCE MINISTRY/VREUTERS

Mr. Xi’s endorsement of Russia’s opposition to any expansion by the North Atlantic Treaty Organization—a central demand from Moscow in its standoff with the U.S.-led allies over Ukraine—marked China’s most explicit support to date of the Kremlin in a confrontation.

Beijing has been careful not to green light Russia’s possible invasion of Ukraine. But the joint statement by Messrs. Xi and Putin on Feb. 4 nonetheless represented Beijing’s closest alignment with Moscow since the early years of the Communist bloc’s Cold War with the West. That has stirred up some unease in China’s official circles, according to people close to the government, because it signaled such a fundamental shift in China’s foreign policy.

“It’s one thing for China to back Russia in opposing NATO enlargement, as it costs nothing,” said Sergey Radchenko, a professor of international relations at Johns Hopkins University in Bologna. “It’s quite another for China to help Russia evade the economic sanctions it would face if it invades Ukraine.”

With top leaders hunkering down in the Zhongnanhai leadership compound as the Beijing Winter Olympics is in full swing, the debate has centered both around principles as well as the practical reality Beijing faces, the people familiar with the issues said.

Whatever the top seven leaders decide will depend on how the crisis evolves, the people said, and their discussion will then be presented to the 25-member Politburo, which will convene later this month.

China’s longstanding foreign-policy stance, set forth soon after the founding of Communist China by then-Premier Zhou Enlai in the “five principles of peaceful coexistence,” is to not endorse any country’s aggression or intervention in another’s affairs.

That helps explain why China hasn’t recognized Russia’s 2014 annexation of Crimea, or fully supported Moscow when it deployed forces to Kazakhstan early this year to quell unrest in the Central Asian nation.

Beijing is aware that by so closely aligning China with Russia on European security issues, it risks further alienating Europe and pushing countries on the continent further into the orbit of the U.S.

On Wednesday, Mr. Xi made his first remarks on Ukraine that China has made public since Mr. Putin left. In a phone conversation with French President Emmanuel Macron,

the Chinese leader called for the use of dialogue such as the Normandy talks—a diplomatic channel established in 2014 to end the fighting in Ukraine whose members are Germany, Russia, Ukraine and France—to reach “a comprehensive settlement of the Ukrainian issue,” state media reported.
On a more practical level, Beijing feels the need to protect its own economic and security interests in regions that could be under threat from the Kremlin. Notably, Ukraine is a member of Mr. Xi’s signature Belt and Road initiative, the vast infrastructure lending and construction program designed to put China at the heart of trade from Southeast Asia to Europe.

State-owned Chinese engineering, power and construction companies in recent years have invested billions of dollars in projects in the Eastern European country, a big supplier of cooking oil, machinery and nuclear reactors to China. In late 2020, Beijing and Kyiv agreed to deepen their Belt and Road cooperation, with Vice Premier Liu He, Mr. Xi’s longtime economic czar, pledging to promote “sound and stable bilateral relations” with Ukraine.

Meanwhile, China has been building a vast network of pipelines in Central Asia to secure its supplies of oil and gas, and diversify the source of its suppliers. Many countries that those pipes go through are former members of the Soviet Union.

“Putin is a major headache for Beijing,” said Carl Minzner, senior fellow for China studies at the Council on Foreign Relations in New York. “A precedent for Russian intervention in former Soviet lands would increase risks to China’s Central Asia energy pipelines.”

In addition, giving Russia a free hand to intervene in the post-Soviet space would potentially hurt China’s longer-term efforts to displace Russia as the main power in Central Asia.

Reflecting Beijing’s unease on Russia’s position on Ukraine, Mr. Minzner noted, China’s state-media coverage of the Ukraine crisis has settled into a pattern: It blames the U.S. and its allies for delivering weapons to Ukraine and hyping the threats from Russia, but repeats the official Ukrainian position on the need for negotiations.

Meanwhile, after Washington over the weekend warned of an imminent Russian invasion and pulled American diplomats from Kyiv, China’s foreign ministry spokesman said the Chinese Embassy in Ukraine was operating as usual. The Foreign Ministry didn’t respond to questions for this article.

A worker making equipment last week in Haian, China, for export to countries as part of President Xi Jinping’s signature Belt and Road initiative.

PHOTO: COSTFOTO/DDP/ZUMA PRESS

An aerial photo of shipping containers in Shanghai. China is weighing the risks of trade restrictions if it helps Russia evade any U.S. sanctions over Ukraine.

PHOTO: LU HONGJIE/ DDP/COSTFOTO/ZUMA PRESS

So far, the most tangible help Beijing has given Moscow involves its agreements to purchase oil and gas from Russia—in deals that Moscow said are valued at an estimated $117.5 billion and would stretch more than two decades. Terms of the deals aren’t disclosed.

Within China, some officials have raised questions about whether it makes sense to get locked in such long-term contracts when energy prices are high. Beijing could try to negotiate terms more in China’s favor, said an economic adviser to the government.

In addition, China’s leaders are also weighing the risk of financial and trade restrictions from Washington should Beijing do substantially more to help Russia evade American sanctions in the event of an invasion, according to the people with knowledge of the discussion.

Chinese banks, for instance, still count on global financial networks to process cross-border trade and other transactions. Chinese manufacturers of smartphones and electric vehicles also rely on American chips and other high-tech products. Existing U.S. export-control measures have already hurt big Chinese firms like Huawei Technologies Co.

Relations between Beijing and Moscow have traditionally been fraught. The former Soviet Union inspired the Communist revolution in China, and dispatched tens of thousands industrial and other specialists to the country to help Mao Zedong build the new China. The ties became so tight that the Soviets were called “lao dage,” or elder brother, by many Chinese.

By the late 1950s, however, the relationship broke down over ideological and other tensions. China moved closer to the U.S. in the following decades, lending Washington a hand in winning the Cold War over Moscow and helping China’s own opening to the world.

Since Mr. Xi came to power almost a decade ago, China and Russia have gotten closer as each country’s relations with the U.S. soured. Russia is helping China develop an early-warning system for nuclear weapons, while China has been buying up Russian energy.

Mr. Xi, whose first foreign trip after becoming China’s leader was to Russia, in 2013, has said he had been inspired by Russian literature—such as Nikolai Chernyshevsky’s novel “What Is to Be Done?”—in which the leading character would sleep on a bed of nails to strengthen his revolutionary will.

He and Mr. Putin, seen by many Chinese as a model of masculinity, have met 38 times.

Russian President Vladimir Putin didn’t attend the state-banquet lunch the day after the Olympic opening at Beijing’s Great Hall of the People earlier this month.

PHOTO: XINHUA/ASSOCIATED PRESS

After the united-front display at the Xi-Putin summit on Feb. 4, there were few images of Messrs. Xi and Putin together. At a state-banquet lunch the day after the Olympic opening at Beijing’s Great Hall of the People, Mr. Putin wasn’t present. A People’s Daily photo of the lunch showed an enormous table, with guests seated far apart and a giant winter-sport scene centerpiece preventing any intimate conversation. State media identified the attendees only as unnamed “foreign dignitaries.” The guest of honor had already left.

“Both China and Russia don’t want to feel they’re obligated to completely sacrifice their own interests when the other country does something destabilizing,” said Joseph Torigian, an expert on authoritarianism at American University in Washington.

Write to Lingling Wei at lingling.wei@wsj.com

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Thanks mate.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Darkest Auer posted:

I'm calling bullshit, that registration paper is like an electricity/water/gas bill in France, you can't do anything without one. Without bribes anyway.

I was living as a tourist for seven years so beyond going to the bank I never had to deal with any authorities, all before xi really got going though it's probably different now

Vesi fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 17, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

More importantly, it's China. There may be laws but in practice everything is different every time and depends entirely on the whims of whoever you're talking to.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

There may be laws but in practice everything is different every time and depends entirely on the whims of whoever you're talking to.

Jesus. Can't imagine living in a country like this.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The idea that laws ought to be applied equally and uniformly is a relatively novel one, and definitely still a controversial one, regardless of the country

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Futanari Damacy posted:

Jesus. Can't imagine living in a country like this.

It's weird for sure. It's not all bad once you get used to it and learn to manipulate it though. When rules don't really exist, if you have the patience and will you can just keep talking to other people and/or pushing and get your way on things. Oh I'm not allowed to have two bank accounts? I'm just going to sit here in this chair for three hours until you give up.

Sometimes I read about how rigid and inflexible rules are in places like Japan and I feel like China is better since no rules exist if you're willing to be an rear end in a top hat and waste a bunch of time. I dunno. Korea's kind of midway between the two and might be the best on that.

Of course this same situation is why crossing a busy road in China is a near-fatal experience of playing real life Frogger so. Every coin has two sides.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 17, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Grand Fromage posted:

There may be laws but in practice everything is different every time and depends entirely on the whims of whoever you're talking to.

Excuse me sir this is not the America thread

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Excuse me sir this is not the America thread

I know you're cracking wise but I knew someone was going to say this for real. It is one of the many, many things that yes, this happens in other countries too, but the degree in China is entirely different.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Of course this same situation is why crossing a busy road in China is a near-fatal experience of playing real life Frogger so. Every coin has two sides.

God crossing the road in a lot of Asian countries is basically playing Frogger. I love Asia (SE Asia in particular), but pedestrian crossing in Vietnam and Thailand was like playing Russian roulette

I remember being in a songthaew in Thailand and we were literal inches from death because the driver decided to pull a u-turn in front of a speeding luxury bus and I swear to you I could have reached out and touched it. It was that close. I haven't been close to making GBS threads myself like that since I was a small child, but holy hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It took over a year post-China to get used to the idea that traffic signals actually have meaning and most people do what they say. I still have a visceral "avoid at all costs" reaction to seeing dump trucks.