Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for letting a woman live with me rent-free in exchange of her doing all of my housework?

Man I wish I could have had that setup a few years ago. I'd totally have let someone live rent free in exchange for doing all the housework. Sounds like a hell of a step up from supporting my lovely non-choring ex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
am i reading the same potato recipe as you all? the one with a cup of ranch?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
AITA for telling my husband that his culture is garbage and I won't "compromise" by incorporating it into our family life?

quote:

My husband and I live in the US northeast, where I am from. “John” moved here for work several years ago, from the deep south of the US where he grew up, raised with Christian holidays but never attending church. Coincidentally, shortly before everything hit, John’s parents AND his childhood best friend “Dan” and his wife decided to move here as well.

This past weekend was the first that us three couples have gathered together since any of us moved here; we had a “distanced picnic” at our house. John sat down 2-3 minutes after I did, as he was settling our kid into his pen in the yard with us. Dan and my FIL immediately started to “jokingly” rip on him for being “whipped” and doing “my” job of parenting our child while he was supposed to be “allowed” to just catch up with the two other men. I was trying to politely deflect when it turned to how “mean” I was for not “fixing him a plate” and serving him before serving myself. (If I thought a certain dish would run out before he got to it, or if he had asked me to, I of course would have!) Dan and FIL continued to brag about how their families "do it right", where they handle the “outside chores” while their wives handle the “inside chores” (including the care of Dan and his wife’s two children). I think it’s important to note here that both currently live in rented condos that by their nature do not have “outdoor chores”, and both their wives have always worked full time, as I do.

The whole day was kind of wrecked by that start, and I was frustrated when John left with Dan and FIL to “go for a walk” and left me to do all the clean up alone while also looking after our kid. I expected John to apologize when he returned hours later, but instead HE got at ME for “making [him] look bad” in front of his friend and dad. He brought up how “a traditional division of labor” is “a huge part of southern culture”, and how I was being “disrespectful” to his background by “forcing northern culture” onto him and his family. He said he’s been building up a lot of “resentment” the past few months that I “make” him do half the chores and childcare, since in his “culture”, women do the chores and hands-on childcare, and men do the fun parenting, the discipline, mow the grass, and bring in the cars for oil changes when needed.

I was stunned but honest and told him southern culture is garbage. It's bigotry. I lived in John's home state for 8 years, and I saw how "southern hospitality" is reserved only for those in your in-group. Deviate from the norm--be queer, non-Christian, a POC, a liberal, a non-traditional woman--and they turn on you viciously. Does every single person act like that always? No. But it's the culture.

John is livid and says his "culture" is just as valid as that of other global regions, religions, and ethnic groups, so I am the bigot by not "compromising" with him here and incorporating aspects of his culture into our family life the way I would if his "culture" was "Islamic or Asian or whatnot".

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for letting a woman live with me rent-free in exchange of her doing all of my housework?

Yeah this honestly seems fine to me. If the value of the services in kind is roughly the same as the value of the rent, then what's the problem? My guess is that if she were to go get a second job at a maid service company and used that money to pay for rent, she'd have to spend more labor time to afford a place to live.

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

Funktastic posted:

AITA for telling my husband that his potatoes are gross and that's why the kids and I refuse to eat them?

Continue to not eat them, but put raisins in as a "fun thing you read on Pinterest" and see if he'll eat them

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Agreed, it sounds completely foul. Also what the gently caress sesame oil?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I have a friend that adds ranch powder to ranch to make it more ranchy. Some people loving love ranch.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Fine, here's a fresh one!

AITA for writing a letter against my ex?

Gee, is OP the rear end in a top hat?

If your child upon seeing you runs away and gets a security guard to protect them from you, you've hosed up really really badly.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Yeah no kidding. Also that's two cups of cheese for like six potatoes.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
ranch and sesame oil is a combo that is making me queasy alone. and then you add in old bay??? Why

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Quackles posted:

Apparently, in the comments, it comes out that the husband smokes both cigarettes and weed, "constantly". I wonder how his taste buds are doing...

I mean OP already said he was a professional cook, so I feel like that should just be assumed. Smoking is the only known way to get an actual break in restaurant work.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yeah this honestly seems fine to me. If the value of the services in kind is roughly the same as the value of the rent, then what's the problem? My guess is that if she were to go get a second job at a maid service company and used that money to pay for rent, she'd have to spend more labor time to afford a place to live.

Considering that most of her "job" is cleaning up her own living space, she's probably making out pretty well. Let's say that every single day she spends an hour doing his laundry, an hour cleaning his room & work/rec spaces, and an extra 30 minutes doing shopping/cooking/dishes for an additional person. That's a very generous estimate of the amount of extra work she's doing, so for something like 75 hours of work a month (and keeping her own apartment clean) she's getting free room and board. That's a loving awesome deal, you're not going to make rent+utilities+food money cleaning houses for 20 hours a week.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Posted byu/YouGottaStopThat
AITA for serving a pregnant woman a non-alcoholic cocktail?

quote:

I have waited tables for the last three years.

During my shift last night, a group of four women in their late 20s came in. They were a pleasure to have as customers. They ordered four of our house cocktails to start with and then went over the menu for their entrees.

When I was on my way back to their booth with the drinks on a tray, I walked by the back side and overheard one of them talking about how she was 14 weeks along. When I rounded back, they were talking about the same topic and it was clear to me that she was pregnant. I figured her having one drink wasn't a big deal. They ordered their entrees and I went off to handle other tables.

About five minutes later, they called me over again and asked for another round. At this point I started getting concerned, but I took the order and cheerfully said I'd be right back. This time, I went to the bartender, and asked him to make one of them a virgin cocktail. He was confused but since he's a good friend of mine, I told him to just trust me.

A few cocktails later (hers strictly virgin) they started getting rowdy, and Mrs. Pregnant Woman was also getting into it. I figured that since she didn't notice, things were OK. The problem came when I took them their check, and they asked to split the bill at the register. When Mrs. Pregnant Woman got to the counter, I saw her cocktails were marked with (virgin). My bartender had edited each in the system for inventory.

It was too late for me to edit them back, so I just had her pay, hoping that she wouldn't look at the receipt. They all thanked me and left, leaving a generous tip in the process. They were talking in the parking lot for the next short while, presumably waiting for an Uber.

Several minutes later Mrs. Pregnant Woman came back and asked what (virgin) on the receipt meant. I fessed up that it meant non-alcoholic. She blank stared me for a few seconds and then asked if she had ordered a non-alcoholic cocktail. I said no, but told her that I assumed she wanted one seeing as she was pregnant. It was a lame lie and I'll admit it, but she looked me in the eye and asked me to return her part of the tip. I did so. Then she talked to my manager. My manager took me into her office and literally shrieked at me until hoarse.

I stood my ground and told her that I'm not going to be responsible for FAS. She told me that she was taking me off the calendar until she decided what to do with me. She also informed me that I could get the restaurant in serious trouble for discrimination, and upon examination of my state's laws, she is correct.

But when I talked to my mother and father about it tonight, they told me that they understood my position. The entire staff at the restaurant is against me and I think that I'm going to call in and tell my manager that I quit, but I still feel in the right here. I would like some perspective on this and if I'm the rear end in a top hat here.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

Agreed, it sounds completely foul. Also what the gently caress sesame oil?

Dont visit certain parts of china cause everything gets sesame oil. Short ribs smothered in millet made sticky with sesame oil is my hard no will not eat meal.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Absurd Alhazred posted:

AITA for telling my husband that his culture is garbage and I won't "compromise" by incorporating it into our family life?

lmao if he's so into his "culture" she should Sherman's March his rear end to divorce court

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for taking my oldest son out of my will and putting in my niece?

quote:

Throwaway for privacy reasons.

My wife C (53) thinks that I (56) am disgusting for removing my eldest son B (30) from my will.

For some background my youngest sister was married to a black man and she had his child, my niece . My sister died during child birth and her husband died from covid shortly after. My mother adopted her and now she does her best to raise her but she's elderly and her health is deteriorating. My wife and I do our best help out from time to time.

My youngest son A and his wife are fond of her and help out as well. B's first interaction with her was awful her called the n word with the hard r and said we shouldn't be raising a monkey. My mother screamed at him and banned him from her home and she said she didn't know how we raised a racist child and until we got his act together he would never be allowed in the vicinity of her home.

My wife said that we can't force our son to like "the blacks" her words not mine. Once I got home I immediately asked him to move out until he can apologize to my niece. My wife threatened to divorce me and called an animal for "abandoning" our child. I screamed at her and said C he is 30 years old it's long overdue for him to be out.

I left and went to work with my youngest and told him what happened, he thinks I'm blowing the whole thing out of proportion and that only my mother was right to ban him from his house.

When B asked to stay with A he told him no and that he should apologize so he doesn't get left out of the will. B told my wife and she locked me out of the house, I am currently staying with my mother.

Here's where I think I might be the rear end in a top hat I called the police on my son to make him leave and told my wife she was a bitch and not only a bitch but a racist bitch.

I have a will because I have heart disease and wanted to have everything organized incase I die.

throw the wife out, throw the sons out, you're going to need to start over

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Barudak posted:

Dont visit certain parts of china cause everything gets sesame oil. Short ribs smothered in millet made sticky with sesame oil is my hard no will not eat meal.

I like sesame oil and am definitely guilty of using it more than some in the kitchen but I just don't get it in this combination with all the creamy cheeses

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mx. posted:

My mother screamed at him and banned him from her home and she said she didn't know how we raised a racist child

My wife said that we can't force our son to like "the blacks" her words not mine.

I wonder why the OP's son is racist :iiam:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Like the idea that respecting a culture means I also have to submit to it for a lifelong marriage.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

teen witch posted:

ranch and sesame oil is a combo that is making me queasy alone. and then you add in old bay??? Why

I'm pretty sure that everyone who thinks this sounds "fine" doesn't know Old Bay seasoning. The recipe saved the worst for last.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

value-brand cereal posted:

Uhh I'm pretty sure you committed a crime, buddy. You can't tamper with someone's food or drink without their knowledge and you definitely can't make such a major change.

Also, if you're going to discriminate against a member of a protected class, make sure you tell everyone that you knowingly did so because of their protected state. That's a good idea, definitely do that.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Fine, here's a fresh one!

AITA for writing a letter against my ex?

Gee, is OP the rear end in a top hat?

Just want to point out the age gap and that OP was likely 20 when his ex got pregnant.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Tell the husband that if he wants only the fun parts of raising children, he can do it on weekends at the zoo, from an apartment with a racecar bed.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hellblazer187 posted:

To the extent there's a problem, it's that he's acting as an employer without any of the responsibilities. Technically speaking the rent value should be declared on a 1099 given to the friend's cousin in exchange for the cleaning, even independent contractors have some level of employee protections that don't exist if they're just exchanging services under the table. Realistically she may not be able to get a better deal above board, but there are more avenues for him to be exploitative with an informal agreement.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

The comment section on this one is spicy.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Here's some heartwarming content.

I'm not my parents bio daughter, I feel terrible about it and ruined an important moment for her

I was swapped at birth

OP's original family sound like garbage people but I'm glad she and Sophia found each other.

Kids don’t get switched at birth in US hospitals anymore and haven’t since like the late 90s when hospitals started putting tracking bracelets on every newborn.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

quote:

ETA: I put this on a comment already but Heres the recipe: (take in to consideration this is for a family of 5) 3lbs potatoes, mashed with 1 stick unsalted butter, 1 1/2 cup of Havarti cheese, 1 cup ranch, 4 tsps fresh minced garlic, 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese and then add these seasonings (he doesnt measure these): dried onion (he puts a gently caress ton), garlic and herb, old bay (this is used for seafood so please explain this) and a splash of sesame oil lmao

I want to know what the gently caress difference he thinks specifically using unsalted butter makes to this mess.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Havarti cheese, parmesan, garlic and butter in your mashed potatoes sounds great. All that ranch sounds horrifying and I have no clue what old bay seasoning is.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

Havarti cheese, parmesan, garlic and butter in your mashed potatoes sounds great. All that ranch sounds horrifying and I have no clue what old bay seasoning is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMJMDEDXwec

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It sounds like cheese and ranch with some potatoes in it.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I never cared for cheesed potatoes in any formation, personally

I'll eat it if it's on my plate, but I'd never seek it out

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

B-Rock452 posted:

I was commenting on them trying to put an IV in by just jamming a needle in the patients arm and wiggling it around until they find a vein to put it in... Instead of you know asking a nurse who has done it a thousand times.

The line I was talking about was in the brain, and done blind to avoid having to cut more skull open.

As best as I could understand, it's all completely standard procedure, just much more crude seeming for what we might think of for brain surgery.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The "safe" mashed potato recipe is like 4:1:1 potato:butter:milk. This guy is at like 6:3.5 on potato:dairy ingredients, so that seems about right for the people calling it wet or slop. The flavors sound like an unusual combination, but it's nothing that doesn't seem like it would be worth a try.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The "safe" mashed potato recipe is like 4:1:1 potato:butter:milk. This guy is at like 6:3.5 on potato:dairy ingredients, so that seems about right for the people calling it wet or slop. The flavors sound like an unusual combination, but it's nothing that doesn't seem like it would be worth a try.

Well, his wife and kids have tried it multiple times and find it disgusting. I don't care what I'm making, if people don't like it I learn not to make it for them anymore.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Isnt this just a remix of the new york bartender trap post?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

therobit posted:

Kids don’t get switched at birth in US hospitals anymore and haven’t since like the late 90s when hospitals started putting tracking bracelets on every newborn.

Yeah and they also said the kid was 'genetically related' to the OP's parents, which is kind of BS, there's no foster agency scanning for genetic matches to place kids with.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well, his wife and kids have tried it multiple times and find it disgusting. I don't care what I'm making, if people don't like it I learn not to make it for them anymore.

Right, he should 100% stop cooking these potatoes for for the family because the family doesn't like them, that's why he's the rear end in a top hat. But for the actual taste of the dish we only have the input of a professional gourmet chef, a second adult who doesn't cook for a living, and a few children of unspecified age. She doesn't seem to understand that cheese, ranch, and old bay all contain salt, maybe take her input with a grain of salt (:hurr:)?

It's an unusual combination and may be offputting, but is probably a comfort food for the chef for some specific reason. But clearly the wife and kids have plenty of times and they don't like it so ... do something else. My initial response was just that it wasn't an unusual proportion of wet ingredients for mashed potatoes, most home recipes underdo it in that regard.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 18, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mllaneza posted:

I'm pretty sure that everyone who thinks this sounds "fine" doesn't know Old Bay seasoning. The recipe saved the worst for last.

I love old bay......on shrimp or something appropriate. I don't know why you'd both putting anything else in there, because old bay can overpower just about anything (other than a cup of ranch dressing I guess).

These sound like hangover food. And that's all cool and good, but probably not what the average person wants for dinner.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Lol. I always thought us folks who grew up in the rural south were the most inclined to rag on the place and call 'southern culture' garbage, but apparently there are some ardent defenders out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Mx. posted:

throw the wife out, throw the sons out, you're going to need to start over

You know, there's the recurring concept of a father starting over with a new family because the old one turned out lovely.

This is the one time I'd approve.