Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Elviscat posted:

This matches my preconceived notions. Personally I hate the look of the Bolt, while the 1gen Leaf fits the "so ugly it's cute" niche for me.

I think I just broke their algorithm, old beat to poo poo '02 Ford Ranger.

I'd consider it, but the new bigger battery still leaks thermal management, correct? Even in a (quickly getting less) temperate climate that's just too hard a push towards the Bolt for me, otherwise I'd prefer the Leaf.

GM and Nissan are 2 of my least favorite auto manufacturers, shame they're the only companies that make a car I want at a decent price, though with the Nissan being an EV eliminates most of the issues I have with the company.

Yeah, no Leafs have active thermal management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Just now while on my way to Costco, woman in a white model 3 just waved at me. She must be a new owner.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

President Beep posted:

Yeah, no Leafs have active thermal management.

The newer ones might have a fan, though. So that's something.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Just now while on my way to Costco, woman in a white model 3 just waved at me. She must be a new owner.

I do this too, and I judge people if they don't wave back. :colbert:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

cruft posted:

It's you. You're the Leaf fan. :)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

pun pundit posted:

It's you. You're the Leaf fan. :)

I will personally come out to your CHAdeMO station and blow real hard on your battery while you charge!

e: being the only EV with an air-cooled battery just furthers my belief that the Leaf is the VW Beetle of the EV world.

cruft fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 17, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I had a nice conversation about how much we loved our Leaves with a gas station employee the other day.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I wonder if usa’s low EV adoption rate has anything to do with how little we pay for fuel.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

cruft posted:

I’m afraid not. It was speculated first with the 2018 redesign and then when they were coming out with the 62kwh pack but they never delivered.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Consumer Reports replaced the Model 3 with the Mach-E as the best electric vehicle for 2022 today.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

obviously consumer reports is an Illuminati rag

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
They’re the ones who jumped through many hoops to show how to spoof autopilot into thinking there is a driver in the seat after that crash last April which turned out to actually be driven by a human, right?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Three Olives posted:

Consumer Reports replaced the Model 3 with the Mach-E as the best electric vehicle for 2022 today.

What’s the worst

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

What’s the worst

Probably the bolt? :v:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

PenisMonkey posted:

They’re the ones who jumped through many hoops to show how to spoof autopilot into thinking there is a driver in the seat after that crash last April which turned out to actually be driven by a human, right?

Amusingly, the article explains that the Mach-e gained an edge over the Teslas because it had driver monitoring software following it up with how Blue Cruise is superior to Autopilot because you only need to have your hand on the wheel for AP whereas BC needs your visual attention

Edit: The article makes a valid point about the Tesla’s software hiding functions like climate. But then also mentions mirror controls. Why is that necessary to be able to quickly access?!

The article for reference:
https://www.consumerreports.org/hybrids-evs/ford-mustang-mach-e-replaces-tesla-model-3-as-cr-ev-top-pick-a6095541654/

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 18, 2022

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Strange, Autopilot has required visual attention as of last year some time. Only the older S/X models don't have this.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I just read an article on this and it says this about Teslas camera:

consumer reports posted:

The Model 3 also has a camera watching the driver, but Consumer Reports says that camera could be more effective.

"In our tests we can cover up the camera, we could not look at the road and it really doesn't give any alerts to the driver to make sure they are looking where they are going," says Fisher

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/02/17/fords-mustang-mach-e-tops-teslas-model-3-in-consumer-reports-list-.html

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

bad_fmr posted:

Deleted. What did the big brain say this time?

Cocaine Bear posted:

For anyone that missed it

Lol what a loving piece of poo poo.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh wow I didn't click to see the "I had a budget" line. Geez
Also this site is literally responsible for Impact Font Memes hahahaha

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Three Olives posted:

What was their trap speed?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
You know where Muskchat goes pls.

Muskchat tends to get a blind eye in the terrible car stuff thread if you dont want to go to C-SPAM

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Omg im on a trip so I picked up an ICE rental and wow I did not realize how accustomed I am to my Leaf. I miss one pedal driving so much :cry:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I have no idea how well or poorly the Tesla attention monitoring system works but the Ford one is pretty aggressive about warning you if you look away from the road for very long at all.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I just realized that the Leaf still qualifies for the Federal tax credit, which essentially makes it $7500 cheaper than the Bolt, is there any word on if the 62kWh battery has degrees problems?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Elviscat posted:

I just realized that the Leaf still qualifies for the Federal tax credit, which essentially makes it $7500 cheaper than the Bolt, is there any word on if the 62kWh battery has degrees problems?

Where do you live Elviscat? If you're in, say, Phoenix, I wouldn't suggest you get the Leaf. But if you're in the, say, PNW I don't think you will really experience the rapidgate issues.

I've got a 2019 SV and I've rapid charged it twice in a day with no issues. I live in Hillsboro, OR (Suburb of Portland) and drove to Bend and back. CHAdeMO's also very, very prevalent up here so it isn't difficult to find it at all. You may just need to do some research to see if it makes sense where you live.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I have no idea how well or poorly the Tesla attention monitoring system works but the Ford one is pretty aggressive about warning you if you look away from the road for very long at all.

The criticism that covering the camera basically disables driver monitoring is a fair one. From what I can tell, it just shortens the “do something with the wheel” time (to as low as “too late, turn the wheel right now”) based on what it sees. Phone usage makes it mad, which I’d be fine with if the drat thing had CarPlay and I didn’t need to fumble with my phone to change podcasts.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Hawkperson posted:

Omg im on a trip so I picked up an ICE rental and wow I did not realize how accustomed I am to my Leaf. I miss one pedal driving so much :cry:

They did such a good job with that. I don’t know why other manufacturers do anything different.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Sonic Dude posted:

The criticism that covering the camera basically disables driver monitoring is a fair one. From what I can tell, it just shortens the “do something with the wheel” time (to as low as “too late, turn the wheel right now”) based on what it sees. Phone usage makes it mad, which I’d be fine with if the drat thing had CarPlay and I didn’t need to fumble with my phone to change podcasts.

I think the core concern is one typical of Tesla, the major auto makers are using systems designed to accurately detect eye gaze and Tesla put a webcam in the rearview mirror and was just like, well, it can do this too, except it sucks at it.

See: Everything from rain sensing windshield wipers to Mobileye Autopilot.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

President Beep posted:

They did such a good job with that. I don’t know why other manufacturers do anything different.

Takes getting used to, and some folks just want their car to be like the one they had before.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Takes getting used to, and some folks just want their car to be like the one they had before.

Fair point. I was thinking of other regen setups.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

But also anyone who disagrees with me is a wrong idiot.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Or like the car they drive for work

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I just think it's dumb that Tesla doesn't do blended braking at all. They already kinda do this when the car stops so it's not a technical challenge.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Kirios posted:

Where do you live Elviscat? If you're in, say, Phoenix, I wouldn't suggest you get the Leaf. But if you're in the, say, PNW I don't think you will really experience the rapidgate issues.

I've got a 2019 SV and I've rapid charged it twice in a day with no issues. I live in Hillsboro, OR (Suburb of Portland) and drove to Bend and back. CHAdeMO's also very, very prevalent up here so it isn't difficult to find it at all. You may just need to do some research to see if it makes sense where you live.

I'm out west of Seattle, I guess I shouldn't be paranoid since my 2017 with the notoriously poo poo 40kWh battery is still at like 89% health per Leafspy at 4 years and 40kmi. I'll test drive them both at least.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Three Olives posted:

See: Everything from rain sensing windshield wipers to Mobileye Autopilot.

I don’t want to curse myself, but I drove ~60 miles in everything from light to very heavy rain today. The auto-wipers were (with a pretty reasonable delay) basically perfect for what I’d want. Either it was the 2022.4 update, or (much more likely) it was sheer luck and will never happen again.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Sonic Dude posted:

I don’t want to curse myself, but I drove ~60 miles in everything from light to very heavy rain today. The auto-wipers were (with a pretty reasonable delay) basically perfect for what I’d want. Either it was the 2022.4 update, or (much more likely) it was sheer luck and will never happen again.

The auto wipers have been pretty fine for me too. Occasionally they’re a little too enthusiastic but never the other way around

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

I picked up my race car minivan today. (Model X Plaid) First impressions:

- There was nothing wrong with it at pickup. No ugly panel gaps, no broken trim pieces, no bad alignments.
- The yoke is weird. It’s fine enough but doesn’t solve any real problem. It’s nice to have an unobstructed view of the gauge cluster screen. I liked the 3s minimalism because I could never see my speed easily in normal cars, and this addresses that in a different way. They could have easily just done a wheel and no gauge cluster screen. That said, the gauge cluster screen is really nice. The blacks are very black.
- The buttons on the yoke work well. You have to actually push a bit to get them to trigger, not just touch. There’s a haptic thunk which feels good. The buttons don’t feel as significant of a change as the yoke.
- The center screen and phone charging pad are closer to the driver than on my old 3. It feels much more comfortable.
- The materials quality is way, way better than the old 3 and X. More supple pleather, more alcantara, softer carpet, softer plastics. I haven’t spent any time in BMWs or Mercs, but compared to the Cross Turismo I checked out, it didn’t seem terribly far off. Even the yoke materials are nice to touch.
- I haven’t floored it from a stop, but in highway traffic when passing it clearly wants to go go go.
- Sound system is a huge improvement over the 3.

The Tesla shop was super busy. There were at least 4 other pickups going on when I arrived, and several others started while i was there.

Finally, I’m going to really miss the 2018 3. It was flawed in some minor ways, but what car isn’t? It was always fun to drive, never gave me grief, and never needed maintenance. I wouldn’t have let it go if I didn’t need a people carrier.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

In case anyone is curious, my average energy usage over the 3 years of driving the Model 3 in the northeastern U.S. was 288 Wh/mi. This was almost entirely city driving with seasonally winter tires or all-seasons.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

The auto wipers have been pretty fine for me too. Occasionally they’re a little too enthusiastic but never the other way around

Until today they’ve alternated between not running at all in the heaviest rain (on back roads) and running full speed in the lightest drizzle (when there are street lights around). During the day it’s been acceptable but usually a notch faster than I would like. Today was a beautiful moment meant only to show me what I could have forever, but never will again.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Aino Minako posted:

I picked up my race car minivan today. (Model X Plaid)

Post pics.

Also, how long did you wait from placing your order? I know there's a crazy backlog from there being zero produced for 8 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Aino Minako posted:

I picked up my race car minivan today. (Model X Plaid) First impressions:

Pretty sure thats the second fastest car ever in AI. Post pics pls