Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Legend og boggy creek is getting a 4k lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

These studios are just slinging whatever they want onto UHD and I love it.

https://twitter.com/alex_navarro/status/1493737124167880706?s=21

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
It's made it fun and I kinda get the joy of going to a rental place from it. You have your blockbusters and then basically a "staff reccomend" of the stuff the boutiques put out. It's great.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Not sure how to justify this opinion but I am STOKED on Boggy Creek 4K and don’t give a gently caress about Hellraiser 4 (I only like the first two)

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

aperfectcirclefan posted:

It's made it fun and I kinda get the joy of going to a rental place from it. You have your blockbusters and then basically a "staff reccomend" of the stuff the boutiques put out. It's great.

Def agree w/ this

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I too will be owning a copy of boggy creek

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MacheteZombie posted:

Legend og boggy creek is getting a 4k lol

Oh poo poo that is 100% going to be the first 4k I watch on my PS5.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Does it matter that my TV is fifteen years old, will a 4k still look nicer than a bluray?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Gripweed posted:

Does it matter that my TV is fifteen years old, will a 4k still look nicer than a bluray?

You have a 15 year old 4K TV? I’m not sure any players downscale to 1080p, but if they did I would expect it to look identical or worse to a standard Blu-Ray. Most of the benefit of UHD is in the HDR anyway.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Gripweed posted:

if u need help picking out a tv i have a few recs

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

david_a posted:

You have a 15 year old 4K TV? I’m not sure any players downscale to 1080p, but if they did I would expect it to look identical or worse to a standard Blu-Ray. Most of the benefit of UHD is in the HDR anyway.

I do not have a 4k TV. It's a flatscreen TV but much fatter than the flatscreen TVs I've see at the store nowadays. It has a USB port for plugging in a portable hard drive, but I don't think it even has wifi

MacheteZombie posted:

if u need help picking out a tv i have a few recs

Nah that's a lot of money when my current TV still works.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I looked this up since I was curious and apparently most (all?) UHD players will downscale to FHD, but some do a much better job than others. Certain players actually have tweakable controls for this.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's not worth buying a UHD unless you plan to have a 4k t.v. in the near future. You'd be missing out on the two main benefits, which are the bump in resolution and HDR.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

It's not worth buying a UHD unless you plan to have a 4k t.v. in the near future. You'd be missing out on the two main benefits, which are the bump in resolution and HDR.

It sounds like they have a PS5 so the player wasn’t bought for this purpose. Buying a few UHD discs makes sense if you know you’re going to upgrade the TV sometime.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

It sounds like they have a PS5 so the player wasn’t bought for this purpose. Buying a few UHD discs makes sense if you know you’re going to upgrade the TV sometime.

Yea I suppose that's true just because unfortunately physical media is a niche thing these days so stuff goes out of print really quickly. If you think you might want a UHD in the future, especially something like Boggy Creek, you probably should just buy it when you have the chance. People getting into the format now can't get their hands on Lawrence of Arabia for christsakes

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Pink Flamingos will be coming to the Criterion Collection.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

People getting into the format now can't get their hands on Lawrence of Arabia for christsakes

:negative:
I think I even had that drat set in my cart, but I wasn’t excited about the other stuff so I decided to wait for the solo release…

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Imprint with a Blu-ray release of the theatrical cut of The Warriors:

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1494641917870718977?t=fQGVsm2W40c5m0ivkgzLkA&s=19

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Oh gently caress YES

What do I need to play Australian Blus, would my PS5 work? I think the PS3 was region free

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sony is releasing a UHD edition of 1776 in May.

Includes the director's cut and extended cut in both 4K Dolby Vision and HD, with Atmos and 5.1 mixes. All the Blu extras included, plus second Blu disc with the original theatrical cut in HD and the 90s laserdisc reconstruction in SD (with optional commentary track).

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Egbert Souse posted:

Sony is releasing a UHD edition of 1776 in May.

Includes the director's cut and extended cut in both 4K Dolby Vision and HD, with Atmos and 5.1 mixes. All the Blu extras included, plus second Blu disc with the original theatrical cut in HD and the 90s laserdisc reconstruction in SD (with optional commentary track).

I am insanely excited for this.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I saw 1776 for the first time a few years ago and it definitely seems like a great candidate for a UHD. My only issue will be having the willpower to hold off on watching it until July.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

david_a posted:

It's me, I'm the lone person who noped the VHS, then the DVD, then the blu ray because I knew eventually they'd hit a wall with resolution/scanning at some point. I don't have a 4k display or player, still rocking a plasma 1080 tv right now.

I went to a decent film school that had a ridiculous film library of obscure/OOP/thesis films and went hard on burning my own copies of things I knew I'd never find again so my collection is still mostly SD, which is fine for now, SD upscales nicely on that FHD setup.
[to clarify, the things I copied were things that someone had telecined themselves, not commercially available stuff..stuff that didn't exist outside of this schools library other than the reel used to telecine the thing in the first place...especially thesis films from the 80s and 90s]

I figured there's no way we're getting 8k scans/discs considering the resources required and the diminishing returns on anything not shot in a very specific way so as soon as CC switched to 4k I started grabbing those. (that said 70mm films scanned at 8k might be a whole experience in itself)

So far I've picked up menace ii society, citizen kane, mulholland drive and a24's last black man in san francisco...the floodgates are open.

And yes, depending on some factors sometimes the higher bit rate UHD downscaled is the move vs the blu ray of the same thing on a FHD display.

There's also a part of me that is going to laugh when all I can get are 8k tvs when I eventually switch displays

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 18, 2022

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Lumbermouth posted:

I am insanely excited for this.

sit down, John.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I guess there's a problem being reported with the Escape From LA UHD with the audio channels being swapped or something.

debating whether or not to keep my pre-order. I'd like it, but I dunno if its widely reported yet or not.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Oh gently caress YES

What do I need to play Australian Blus, would my PS5 work? I think the PS3 was region free

From what I've read online imprint's blu's are region free.

I was already thinking about buying their Wicker Man box, and now they announce this...

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

wyoming posted:

I was already thinking about buying their Wicker Man box, and now they announce this...

The Wicker Man is one of my favourite movies of all time but man, the cost of importing this to Canada is making it hard for me to justify pulling the trigger.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
poo poo I didn't know they had the wicker man either. The warriors is $100 and I'm hesitant on that since I love it also. 😢

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Also about loving time Bloody Sunday got a Blu-ray release.

No idea why it's "neo-noir" though.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

edogawa rando posted:

Also about loving time Bloody Sunday got a Blu-ray release.

No idea why it's "neo-noir" though.

I think the neo-noir collection and Bloody Sunday are two separate items on the list.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rascar Capac posted:

I think the neo-noir collection and Bloody Sunday are two separate items on the list.

Ok, that makes more sense.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
For some reason I felt like watching crouching tiger, hidden dragon again and picked up the 4K. Looks really good, a very nice upgrade from last time I saw it. Also just generally a great film.

The dialogue comes in a bit quiet though compared to the action scenes, but not sure why.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So according to people flapping their arms about that Warriors disc, apparently there is a German blu-ray with the original version on it and the UK theatrical cut changed a few of the songs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

A new Vampire's Kiss blu-ray is coming out from MVD in case you missed it or you want to sell your Shout Factory disc to some moron for a hundred bucks before it's too late.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

CPL593H posted:

So according to people flapping their arms about that Warriors disc, apparently there is a German blu-ray with the original version on it and the UK theatrical cut changed a few of the songs.

German Blu Rays work in Region A players, right? I have a German copy of Silverado that I haven’t tested yet.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Germany is Region B, but it depends if it has regional coding or not. Some do, some don’t. The back of the case sometimes indicates if it does, but it’s not always accurate. Only way to know is find someone else who’s tried, or wait until you can test yourself.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CPL593H posted:

A new Vampire's Kiss blu-ray is coming out from MVD in case you missed it or you want to sell your Shout Factory disc to some moron for a hundred bucks before it's too late.

And get rid of High Spirits? No thank you, sir!

still haven't (re)watched it

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

CPL593H posted:

Speaking of, is anyone in here interested in the Vampire's Kiss Shout Factory disc? I'm willing to let it go for a hundred.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
My GF had us put it on this last Halloween season and holy poo poo, what a wild-rear end ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Can't beat classic Cage! He's on another level.