Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elroy Jetson
Sep 25, 2021

Don't ping me.

Tei posted:

Is that the face of the hero of El Facil?.... disregard that.

Instead of going UP trying to race to the endgame, for this game would made sense to go sideways and complete maps, faction points, and make your character (all your characters, really, since is account wide). into savants-cool kids-monsters with lots of bonus from different content.

Or the moment the game become a second job, drop it, and just return for expansions or things.

I have yet to play the last expansion of FF14, is not like we lack good stuff :D

This is definitely the way to play the game IMO. I'm playing a lot, but doing all kinds of different collectable and side quest things along the way. End-game sounds great to me and I can't wait to start taking part in it and will almost certainly get in deep (I already raid in FF14), but racing there sounds like a bad way to have fun.

And no, this is the face of a historian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I just want to peek into T3 so I can get the lower tier honing bonuses before I start messing with alts

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

eat poo poo ark poors

Is this through questing or raiding?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

afkmacro posted:

Is this through questing or raiding?

Normal ilvl progression and story questing. The 6th was from I think the 4th major continent after unlocking the daily challenge dungeons?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

eat poo poo ark poors

Ooh man I still loving only have 4. I thought the FFXIV story was long as gently caress.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
Fuckin' hell the engraving/faceting system in this is poorly explained while you're leveling. Even trying to google for "what the goddamn gently caress does the drops of ether engraving recipe do" gets zero useful results, most of them are people ignoring the question and explaining what drops of ether are instead. Did I miss a popup that explained any of this or is it just intentionally obtuse?

I got lucky and found another post that said "have you tried pressing alt+I" and worked it out from there, but man this isn't a good sign for the future. I can already tell I'll put this game down and come back in a few months and be absolutely clueless about it all again.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

I did my first chaos dungeons today and it was super fun just blasting massive packs of demons or w/e. They seem like they explode even more satisfyingly than the leveling mobs did. I’m pumped to try the guardian raids (those are the relatively easy ones, yeah?) and maybe poke my head into abyss dungeons.

I will more than likely be happy with my army of alts doing pvp and baby dungeons/raids forever. I have zero desire to do a frustrating grind just get punched in the dick by complicated mechanics I’m too old to really give a gently caress about.

I do kinda wish chaos dungeons weren’t ilvl gated though so you could do the Diablo rifts thing where you keep increasing the level until you get demolished and have to wait for your gear to catch up.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Hefty posted:

I did my first chaos dungeons today and it was super fun just blasting massive packs of demons or w/e. They seem like they explode even more satisfyingly than the leveling mobs did. I’m pumped to try the guardian raids (those are the relatively easy ones, yeah?) and maybe poke my head into abyss dungeons.

Guardian raids are mostly gear checks imo. It’s only when you get to like the 8th one where they start having really dangerous mechanics besides being tanky and doing decent damage. I definitely wouldn’t describe them is easy if you’re close to the minimum ilvl to access

But entries don’t count unless you win so give it a shot! You can also uncheck the box to harvest the guardian soul if you just want to advance without getting loot or using one of your entries

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

There's a few handicaps that help too, there is an engraving where its like "once every 15m if you would die instead you heal X amount and live" which is helping me a fuckton.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
I’m curious, and my google skills are failing me. Is there a list showing what was released when in the Korean version of the game? I’m wondering at what rate and when the bigger systems were being introduced.

kaaj fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 18, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

kaaj posted:

I’m curious, and my google skills are failing me. Is there a list showing what was released when in the Korean version of the game? I’m curious at what rate and when the bigger systems were being introduced.

I havent even hit cap so I hope they chill

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Good Citizen posted:

But entries don’t count unless you win so give it a shot! You can also uncheck the box to harvest the guardian soul if you just want to advance without getting loot or using one of your entries

Ooh, good to know.

I just fought the battle bear, and it was really fun! Forgot to equip my flare and nobody else had one so we ran around a bit, but I got MVP as support, so that was neat! I missed every single Holy Sword counter, even with the lower charge up time rune, but trying to catch him without getting hit is funny.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

I was told you never have to fight that boss to progress. As I understand it all bosses in the raid drop the same materials, just an increase in quantity as you go further. You could just farm the first few easier bosses in the raid and still build the sets.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hy_C posted:

I was told you never have to fight that boss to progress. As I understand it all bosses in the raid drop the same materials, just an increase in quantity as you go further. You could just farm the first few easier bosses in the raid and still build the sets.

From what I saw, to put it in XIV terms, it's the Ultimate fight for that tier of content. So I don't know why people are losing their minds over the hardest boss in the game being hard as gently caress.

Also, maybe I'm imagining it, but I think he said that you still get drops from these fights even if you fail them so long as you hit specific phases, you just get less than if you were able to complete the encounter all the way through. So you can do prog and still get upgrades out of it. Maybe someone can clarify?

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

If you don't do any guardian raids or abyssal dungeons you're gonna progress at a glacial pace. You will quickly get the point where a single chance at upgrading a gear slot will take multiple days worth of farming for mats.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Phantom Palace was a pretty great dungeon. Will have to check out what's up with the Abyssal version sometime. Also, had a funny few failed rounds with the Guardian Raid turtle since it just wouldn't stop stomping my teammates! Glad I'm at least not being stomped after my first raid.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

QuantaStarFire posted:

Also, maybe I'm imagining it, but I think he said that you still get drops from these fights even if you fail them so long as you hit specific phases, you just get less than if you were able to complete the encounter all the way through. So you can do prog and still get upgrades out of it. Maybe someone can clarify?

He explained that in the beginning of the first video.

The Abyss Dungeon has 6 separate bosses in it, more like a wow raid than an FFXIV just-one-boss raid.
You can see the progress in the top left corner:

We have the same thing already even in Tier 1 abyss raids, but ours only have 2 encounters instead of 6, so the top left thingy only shows two doors.

In this particular raid, the 5th encounter is Abrelshud and the 6th encounter is Abrelshud-but-angrier. You still have to kill boss #5 to advance to boss #6, but they're both "the same character" so he's describing them like phases instead of separate raid bosses. The checkpoints where you can collect your raid loot and peace out (and possibly resume later) are after the 2nd and 4th bosses in that raid. You won't get any partial rewards from progging boss-5-Abrelshud without being able to beat boss-6-Abrelshud since that is after the last checkpoint, but you will get all the weekly raid goodies from the first 4 bosses, even if you wipe to the last 2.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Extra founders packs and some other random goodies coming Saturday.

https://www.playlostark.com/en-us/news/articles/launch-week-player-grants

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Is there a joke or reference I'm missing with several of the Rapport NPCs being called Neria?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Cicadalek posted:

Is there a joke or reference I'm missing with several of the Rapport NPCs being called Neria?

Same NPC I believe. She just exists in both locations.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Lawlicaust posted:

Same NPC I believe. She just exists in both locations.

If that's the case she is doing a hell of a job on makeup

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Also having three birthdays. Powerful.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
all these guides saying to finish shushire for your 302 set when you should just do chaos dungeons as soon as possible in vern because it shits out so much gear at you

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Isn't the Shushire set epic-quality which is way better?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Cicadalek posted:

The in-plot explanation is that the original Neria was one of the legendary heroes of the past who opened a really famous inn, so innkeepers calling themselves Neria is just a branding thing. Blue haired Neria tells you all this if you get her rapport up. I don’t know if there’s some sort of Korean cultural reference behind why it’s in the game.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

QuantaStarFire posted:

Isn't the Shushire set epic-quality which is way better?

No, it's literally just a set of the blue you get from chaos dungeons

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

The in-plot explanation is that the original Neria was one of the legendary heroes of the past who opened a really famous inn, so innkeepers calling themselves Neria is just a branding thing. Blue haired Neria tells you all this if you get her rapport up. I don’t know if there’s some sort of Korean cultural reference behind why it’s in the game.

Oh, that explains it, thanks. Now I can proceed with marrying all of them.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Kill All Cops posted:

all these guides saying to finish shushire for your 302 set when you should just do chaos dungeons as soon as possible in vern because it shits out so much gear at you

Because if you want to rush content you want your free 302 set and use upgrade materials from islands to up your ilvl, so you can do your limited chaos dungeon runs at a higher ilvl for better rewards. If you're not in a rush it doesn't matter.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's not a complete waste to be making a shitton of flowerbeds at the Stronghold for the XP if I have nothing better to craft, right?

Followup questions: is there any reason to not hit the portal for the next level immediately in a chaos dungeon and also is the Aura across all dungeons meaning you really should only be doing two total (whatever the highest one you can do) per day?

explosivo fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 18, 2022

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

junan_paalla posted:

Because if you want to rush content you want your free 302 set and use upgrade materials from islands to up your ilvl, so you can do your limited chaos dungeon runs at a higher ilvl for better rewards. If you're not in a rush it doesn't matter.

That assumes you'll have the time to go through shushire and islands before you start running dailies which might not be possible if you are time constraint. I'm guessing doing the dailies at a lower ilvl rank is still better than waiting to push a higher ilvl before you start running them.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

explosivo posted:

Followup questions: is there any reason to not hit the portal for the next level immediately in a chaos dungeon and also is the Aura across all dungeons meaning you really should only be doing two total (whatever the highest one you can do) per day?

None. 100% is 100%. Doesn't matter if you get it now or in the final stage. I loving hate people who just sit there killing every single thing on the map when it doesn't matter at all.

Yea the aura is across all chaos dungeons. Any extra dungeon you do just rewards you with currency you can use at the chaos dungeon vendor lady to buy her stuff.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I hit 50 last night and I’m in the main city of the third continent and nothing seemingly changed or opened up, so do I just keep doing the MSQ? How much more of that is there before unlocking endgame activities?

Separate question, but is there downscaling in dungeons? Me and my friends have been leveling separately thinking we could start doing stuff together at 50, but now I’m looking for other alternatives while they catch up to me.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
At a certain point in Vern, make sure to check your quest log and go to the Guide quests. There should be a bunch of purple quests opening up that will introduce you to stuff like the Chaos Dungeons and Guardian Raids and whatnot. I can't remember if it hits right when you get there or after you've done most of Vern's storyline, but they are very obviously the "Hey, this is the end-game content" quests to walk you through them.

Some of the content like Chaos dungeons are downscaled based on the number of players, but they will all have iLvl requirements that start at 302, so if you want to play with buddies you'll need to do that. Otherwise, a lot of the Islands and timer quests that pop up in the little clock icon in the left corner have a 250 requirement and give good loot to start running.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 18, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

None. 100% is 100%. Doesn't matter if you get it now or in the final stage. I loving hate people who just sit there killing every single thing on the map when it doesn't matter at all.

Yea the aura is across all chaos dungeons. Any extra dungeon you do just rewards you with currency you can use at the chaos dungeon vendor lady to buy her stuff.

Nice, ty, I thought as much and was similarly getting upset with people dicking around instead of jumping in the portal but wasn't sure.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
For chaos dungeon optimization you also want to leave the stages as soon as possible because the later stages apparently have better loot? So you can optimize by leaving stage 1 at 17-19% and focus-firing the elites in stage 2 to leave at ~50%, and you get to kill the most stuff in stage 3. Not sure how much it matters but it's a small meta game if you want to be a little less mindless about grinding chaos dungeons.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I hit 50 last night and I’m in the main city of the third continent and nothing seemingly changed or opened up, so do I just keep doing the MSQ? How much more of that is there before unlocking endgame activities?

Separate question, but is there downscaling in dungeons? Me and my friends have been leveling separately thinking we could start doing stuff together at 50, but now I’m looking for other alternatives while they catch up to me.

Finish that continent and then about 15 mins into Vern you unlock the chaos dungeons and whatnot. The story quest takes you through all that.

I don't think there is any downscaling at all in dungeons.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Thanks, guess I’ll keep on keepin’ on and wait for the guild to catch up

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I fought the guardian bear a couple times yesterday when I first hit those fights and it generally went super smoothly, so today I jammed more rocks into my gear and tried literally the second guardian fight, the white lion guy. Well our group failed with him at like 6% HP according to the game, with me as the last one alive (though I did die once when I got stuck in a corner with my dodge on CD). If it's already this bad I can only imagine what actual difficult content is going to be like with pubs lol. Still fun though, I kept trying and failing to get counters off even though I'm a Deathblade because no one else in my group seemed to be even trying to. Do you need to be directly facing the enemy when they're blue to counter them or does hitting them at all with a counter skill while they're blue work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
I've got hoarder mentality. I rolled a bard on Una and pretty sure I'll stick there in the future. Are there any founders pack chests/levelling chests/cards/ items I should be saving for post-50?

I just started working on my stronghold, should I be hiring any new crew member I come across or save the currency for ideal dudes? The only mention I saw was getting new crew with mokoko seeds