Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Don't think I would have been able to resist asking why...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
There's a Gelsinger profile in today's NYT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/17/technology/intel-ceo-patrick-gelsinger.html

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think this would be the first confirmed chiplet GPU+CPU in a single package? Not counting Kaby Lake G's EMIB implementation.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Man, Kaby Lake G was cool. I wish I had the budget for cool computing oddities to just kinda marvel at.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Intel Battlemage 3: The Darklight Awakening

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

NewFatMike posted:

Man, Kaby Lake G was cool. I wish I had the budget for cool computing oddities to just kinda marvel at.

The Xeon Ds are my favourite little Intel CPU line, and I wish there were more board options for them. A consumer co like asus or msi should make special home nas/entertainment boards with them, touting the low power and compact size.

I guess the cpus aren’t really priced well for that segment though.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

VorpalFish posted:

Don't think I would have been able to resist asking why...

Same, but I also figured out I also don't like getting figuratively and literally bashed in the face by sleazy mom-and-pop businesses

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The United States posted:

Intel Battlemage 3: The Darklight Awakening

SSǝX

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Be glad they aren’t yet insisting all the code names end the same. Battlemage Lake.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Why did Intel take away HT from 9th gen i7 but then bring it back for 10th gen?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Market segmentation and positioning vs AMD. Generally, i9s have more cores. There'd be almost no difference between a 9700k and 9900k other than HT and Intel wants to sell higher end CPUs. So they didn't have many options for segmenting. Zen3 saw AMD pass Intel in performance so they could no longer afford to be slacking.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Well, I got some buyer's remorse with my new 5600X.

For slightly more money I could have got a 12400F and budget B660M which has a slight overall edge in games (even better if PBO is disabled on 5600X), lower average CPU power consumption by 30W, brand new 3 year warranty and 1 more M.2 3.0 slot over my B450M Mortar.

Ugh

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Palladium posted:

Well, I got some buyer's remorse with my new 5600X.

For slightly more money I could have got a 12400F and budget B660M which has a slight overall edge in games (even better if PBO is disabled on 5600X), lower average CPU power consumption by 30W, brand new 3 year warranty and 1 more M.2 3.0 slot over my B450M Mortar.

Ugh

It really depends on the game and the review setup. I've seen reviews that put the 5600X slightly ahead of the 12400 in both gaming performance and power efficiency, like these: https://www.techspot.com/review/2392-intel-core-i5-12400/, https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-12400f/

edit: The 5600X has a small edge in gaming performance in the Club386 and GamersNexus reviews too, and in the TomsHardware review it's basically a wash. The 5600X's advantage (or really, the thing that keeps it from getting blown out) is its cache size. If the 12400 had more cache, it would win handily against the 5600X, but as it is, it's not the better gaming CPU. So as long as you got a decent price, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 20, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there a simple tweaking utility for overclocking, like afterburner for gpus, or will I have to mess with a lot of settings in the bios? This would be with a 11600K, and mostly just out of curiosity cause iirc rocket lake isn't great for OCing.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Is the prospect of SR-IOV on the forthcoming discrete GPUs substantiated in any way whatsoever?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Intel's about the only company who's been doing anything with SR-IOV support for their iGPUs, so I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility - but I haven't heard anything specific either.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It really depends on the game and the review setup. I've seen reviews that put the 5600X slightly ahead of the 12400 in both gaming performance and power efficiency, like these: https://www.techspot.com/review/2392-intel-core-i5-12400/, https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-12400f/

edit: The 5600X has a small edge in gaming performance in the Club386 and GamersNexus reviews too, and in the TomsHardware review it's basically a wash. The 5600X's advantage (or really, the thing that keeps it from getting blown out) is its cache size. If the 12400 had more cache, it would win handily against the 5600X, but as it is, it's not the better gaming CPU. So as long as you got a decent price, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I have a perfectly dumb question: for the purpose of gaming, would a 12400 be a better general choice than a 7940x? Just wondering if the per-core grunt and lower latency between cores would elevate it above fourteen cores of Skylake-X justice.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Hasturtium posted:

I have a perfectly dumb question: for the purpose of gaming, would a 12400 be a better general choice than a 7940x? Just wondering if the per-core grunt and lower latency between cores would elevate it above fourteen cores of Skylake-X justice.

12400 would likely completely wreck a 7940x in gaming.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

yeah, 12400 will be like 30-40% faster in most games I would reckon. it's slowly changing, but there are basically no major titles that have any idea what to do with 28 threads.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

also:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1496238332946358275

Current mobile Alder Lake has 96 EUs on the top trim. Interesting that the igp chiplet will be TSMC N3, while the package will also have Intel 4 and Intel 20A chiplets. Seems like a lot of failure points honestly.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Cygni posted:

also:

Current mobile Alder Lake has 96 EUs on the top trim. Interesting that the igp chiplet will be TSMC N3, while the package will also have Intel 4 and Intel 20A chiplets. Seems like a lot of failure points honestly.

3x Alder Lake is what, around the performance of a RTX 3050? Definitely good enough for a 14".

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Boat Stuck posted:

3x Alder Lake is what, around the performance of a RTX 3050? Definitely good enough for a 14".

Hopefully by then they'll have their drivers in a better state, the theoretical performance (3DMark and similar) of the XE GPUs is 50% higher than their average game performance due to their unoptimised driver.

I'd absolutely adore a 6+8+320 Arrow Lake, tbh

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Cygni posted:

also:

The leaked slide shows compute tile for ARL-P on N3 as well as GT

Begall
Jul 28, 2008

Cygni posted:

yeah, 12400 will be like 30-40% faster in most games I would reckon. it's slowly changing, but there are basically no major titles that have any idea what to do with 28 threads.

I don’t think a “major” qualifier is necessary here, there are no titles which use anything close to 28 threads. Or 16 threads. Or 8 threads, honestly. Vast majority of the performance increase people keep ascribing to higher core counts is actually additional cache and boost clock on higher tier parts.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Begall posted:

I don’t think a “major” qualifier is necessary here, there are no titles which use anything close to 28 threads. Or 16 threads. Or 8 threads, honestly. Vast majority of the performance increase people keep ascribing to higher core counts is actually additional cache and boost clock on higher tier parts.

I've run into several games that can utilize as many threads as you can throw at them, and more of those are coming out with regularity now. Battlefield 2042 can nearly max out all 12 threads on my CPU for instance. Forza Horizon 5 utilizes all of them too, as does Halo Infinite, and several other recent games. It's not 2015 anymore. Games are multithreaded now.

Though, what matters most is total performance rather than some arbitrary core count metric. For instance, people who insist that going lower than 8 cores is a huge disadvantage because the console games are "designed for" 8 cores are totally missing the point. The 12600K with e-cores disabled would have more than enough per-core performance to trivialize gaming loads that a 3700X might struggle with, for example. As for the 7940X vs the 12400, it would likely come down to game choice. The 12400 would destroy the 7940X in games that are heavily single threaded (which some still are). In the heavily multithreaded games I mentioned, I dunno. It'd probably be a lot closer.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 24, 2022

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Cygni posted:

also:

Glad to see Intel and AMD both starting to focus on igp performance after years of stagnation.

Some day I hope to see my dream of a fanless x86 mba competitor with decent GPU performance come true.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Isn't memory speed/bandwidth the big limiting factor for iGPUs, and where the M1's design is s massive advantage?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Insofar as the current crop of x86 devices are still using DDR4, and will probably continue to use DDR4 for another six months at least, yes.

Over on Team Red, there have been a few devices here and there that use LPDDR5, most notably of which is the Steam Deck, and is able to use the increased memory bandwidth to flex RDNA2 GPU silicon, whereas LPDDR5 usage for Intel appears to be done purely as part of battery life math.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 23, 2022

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Pablo Bluth posted:

Isn't memory speed/bandwidth the big limiting factor for iGPUs, and where the M1's design is s massive advantage?

It is, but we're about to see substantial jumps in bandwidth, even with early ddr5 and lpddr5 devices. DDR4 -> DDR5 is a 50% jump at least in mobile space, and lpddr4 -> lppdr5 is going to be at least 20%.

If they want to make a huge igpu, they can go wider on the bus as well - like apple did.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Insofar as the current crop of x86 devices are still using DDR4, and will probably continue to use DDR4 for another six months at least, yes.

Over on Team Red, there have been a few devices here and there that use LPDDR5, most notably of which is the Steam Deck, and is able to use the increased memory bandwidth to flex RDNA2 GPU silicon, whereas LPDDR5 usage for Intel appears to be done purely as part of battery life math.

As far as I know most alder lake mobile stuff is using lpddr5 at this point and at least for the time being Intel's approach to desktop GPU performance is "if you want it, use a dgpu." Their desktop igps are way smaller than the mobile parts and probably can't scale with the bandwidth anyways.

For amd I believe with upcoming Rembrandt parts they will be lpddr5 / ddr5 only. No option for ddr4.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
When are we going to get a CPU with a "big" IGP and enough HBMx on the package to make it all work?

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

PBCrunch posted:

When are we going to get a CPU with a "big" IGP and enough HBMx on the package to make it all work?

If it happens it'll be exclusively a laptop part.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You're not going to get a SOC with HBM outside of something dedicated like a console chip because the primary job of an iGPU is to drive spreadsheets and play youtube

and yes, there are going to be incremental upgrades to iGPUs because it just makes sense to use whatever best graphics architecture you have even if you technically could keep using Vega graphics for the use-case, and these incremental upgrades may eventually become competitive with bottom-tier dedicated GPUs against a static workload, but that's more incidental than anything else

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

cerious posted:

If it happens it'll be exclusively a laptop part.

Laptop is where you'd want it anyways. Outside of niche sff applications you can get all the GPU performance you need on desktop with an add in card and things like switchable graphics for idle power or tight power constraints are a non issue, and any part using substantial quantities of hbm2 is probably expensive enough that budget builds are right out anyways.

How's the latency on hbm?

E: could also bring back edram cache a la broadwell, similar to what amd is doing with infinity cache.

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 23, 2022

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Hardware Unboxed tested a Zen3+ laptop with RDNA2 and DDR5 today. Graphics performance looks good for being integrated so more memory bandwidth will probably help.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

gradenko_2000 posted:

You're not going to get a SOC with HBM outside of something dedicated like a console chip because the primary job of an iGPU is to drive spreadsheets and play youtube

and yes, there are going to be incremental upgrades to iGPUs because it just makes sense to use whatever best graphics architecture you have even if you technically could keep using Vega graphics for the use-case, and these incremental upgrades may eventually become competitive with bottom-tier dedicated GPUs against a static workload, but that's more incidental than anything else

The context of this conversation is a slide for a chiplet based Intel part with a 320eu GPU die which I would argue goes well beyond video playback and spreadsheets. If that's what they're going for they could get away with a much smaller part, modern uarch or not. Similarly if AMD were just using a more modern uarch and wasn't focused on bringing up performance, they could have gotten away with 6cu parts across the board instead of the 12cu parts in the top skus, and it probably would have been cheaper. IGP performance is a big part of their pitch this gen

You are probably right about hbm though since between supply of the hbm and designing the interposer it's expensive af.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-radeon-680m-rdna-igpu-outperforms-geforce-mx450-discrete-graphics

there are several assertions that I would like to make here, bit do not have the wherewithal to look up Alder Lake specs on mobile to remember exactly what the memory controllers are capable of, but I am confident enough to say this:

96EUs seems like the maximum that Intel designed for, and everything else is binned down, while AMD has CUs to spare, with the R5 6600's cut-down 660M coming out above an i7-12700H in benchmarks. This does not count AMD's future RDNA3 silicon, (these are allegedly RDNA2) nor does it count future Xe revisions, but it does seem that AMD has a lot more headroom to work with before they will run into LP/DDR5's bandwidth limits.

At the very least, we appear to have entered an era where iGPUs on both sides are at least as powerful than a 750ti, and for that alone, I am so goddamn happy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/TDaytonPM/status/1496882803492933649

I want an ASRock Rack MiniITX board with one of these for a NAS upgrade :haw:

(It will be too pricey for me, sadly)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

priznat posted:

https://twitter.com/TDaytonPM/status/1496882803492933649

I want an ASRock Rack MiniITX board with one of these for a NAS upgrade :haw:

(It will be too pricey for me, sadly)
It's kinda wild that out of all the CPUs launched in the Xeon D Ice Lake lineup, only six are any use for any MiniITX NAS I'd consider building.
The way I figure it, you need the SAS HBA daughterboard for storage (either a 8i, 8i8e, or 16e), and integrated LAN is a must on a SoC. Plus, since you're likely dealing with a shitload of disks, you're probably either needing or going to need Reed Solomon error correction unless you fancy losing 50% capacity, which means you need QuickAssist (which also gives you the ability offload compression for things like gzip9).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's kinda wild that out of all the CPUs launched in the Xeon D Ice Lake lineup, only six are any use for any MiniITX NAS I'd consider building.
The way I figure it, you need the SAS HBA daughterboard for storage (either a 8i, 8i8e, or 16e), and integrated LAN is a must on a SoC. Plus, since you're likely dealing with a shitload of disks, you're probably either needing or going to need Reed Solomon error correction unless you fancy losing 50% capacity, which means you need QuickAssist (which also gives you the ability offload compression for things like gzip9).

I just realized from that table that they don't have any efficiency cores, which is kind of a shame for something that would be great in a NAS.