Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Was reminded of one more working the boys example came to mind this morning when Brody told the story on TiJ:

When Enzo and Cass were in the crowd for G-1 Supercard we knew New Japan didn't know anything about the angle. It turns out the guys in the match had no idea as Brody King was a little pissed that they busted their rear end in that match and it got overshadowed by that, and they had no clue it was going to happen, or what exactly had happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
IIRC Kidani brought back Shibata without telling the locker room first, so modern New Japan definitely isn't immune to working the boys.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah but as a result they basically said ok bossman no more playing with your wrestling toys leave it to the professionals. so now he has to get his fix from having the stardom joshi beat him up at press conferences

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

yeah but as a result they basically said ok bossman no more playing with your wrestling toys leave it to the professionals. so now he has to get his fix from having the stardom joshi beat him up at press conferences

Hardly the first executive to get his jollies by paying women to beat him.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Benne posted:

IIRC Kidani brought back Shibata without telling the locker room first, so modern New Japan definitely isn't immune to working the boys.

I keep thinking that part was more played up for the papers in the return than working the boys as I doubt most of the talent really hated Shibata leaving cause Inokism

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Has big show ever spoken out of character about the absurd bossman funeral segment?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Do wrestlers like Warrior, Demolition, Goldust, etc apply their facepaint themselves? Or are there makeup artists in the back that do it? I ask because some of them are pretty intricate and continue down their necks, etc.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Do wrestlers like Warrior, Demolition, Goldust, etc apply their facepaint themselves? Or are there makeup artists in the back that do it? I ask because some of them are pretty intricate and continue down their necks, etc.

Dustin did & does his own. Seems probable they all did tho' WWE has an actual makeup department now but I think that it is for normal TV makeup

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Somehow I can't imagine Warrior patiently applying makeup to his face in a mirror. Then again, I can't imagine him patiently allowing anyone else to do it either. Maybe he just wakes up that way. Or used to.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Sting does his as well, I'm pretty sure

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Warrior dropped food coloring into his piles of coke and then rubbed his face in them, that's how he did it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Sting does his as well, I'm pretty sure

Sting does his makeup. His face paint got lost once for a TNA PPV and he had to borrow some from a Juggalo in the audience.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I don't have any real sources on it but I, with my powerful & smart brain, think that it's probably a practical thing to know how to do it yourself. Like, if you're travelling from show to show, can you rely on someone being there to apply the face paint for you, especially when it's not a big time operation with makeup artists? Probably not even if it's your tag partner, so best to just learn how to do it yourself. Also - I'm guessing it'd be a sort of a point of pride to know how to do it yourself. I remember seeing a video of Sting talking about how applying his own face paint is how he gets into character.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

MassRafTer posted:

Sting does his makeup. His face paint got lost once for a TNA PPV and he had to borrow some from a Juggalo in the audience.

I am happier for having this knowledge

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

:allears:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

I love everything about this

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Thunder Rosa has videos of someone else doing her paint in AEW, but presumably she can do it herself in indie shows and other small events.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

There’s a pretty great time lapse video of Dustin putting on the Goldust makeup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJQ3yZ8QdhE

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kennel posted:

Thunder Rosa has videos of someone else doing her paint in AEW, but presumably she can do it herself in indie shows and other small events.

She also posted pics of her doing it for her son before he had his first match. (He's about the same age as Nick Wayne)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Warrior, Demolition, Sting, et al did/do all their own face paint. Road Warriors too, though Hawk wasn't as creative with his as Animal was, which it why he only had two major looks.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Hey stab, what ended up happening with Franky the Mobster? Did he end up going to jail?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

She also posted pics of her doing it for her son before he had his first match. (He's about the same age as Nick Wayne)

Rosa even has a tutorial for it on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGNv4k1BSaU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Is Adam Cole's stutter a deliberate character quirk or an actual vocal tic? I started noticing it a while ago in his promos whenever he starts a sentence with "A-And".

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I saw a video once of Warhorse doing his own paint, but it looked like he was using craft paint instead of those fancy markers that Rosa uses or whatever that was that Dustin did. Personally, I think it'd probably be a lot faster and easier to take an airbrush rig and make some stencils and do it in a couple of passes.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sounds like a lot of work, they should just get signed by a major promotion and extend the paint gimmick over most of their upper body so the company brings in an artist to do it for them, like Finn Balor does.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
If at all possible move from a country where you got to rip off copyrighted characters to a litigation-averse company that will replace Venom with a hat covered in belts

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

King Bahamut posted:

If at all possible move from a country where you got to rip off copyrighted characters to a litigation-averse company that will replace Venom with a hat covered in belts

If I'm honest, it's a legitimate testament to how good Fergal Devitt is that he managed to actually get that over.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Why isn’t Chris Hero doing anything higher profile right now? Seems he’d be a lock for someone to sign even just in a backstage role.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

EdsTeioh posted:

Why isn’t Chris Hero doing anything higher profile right now? Seems he’d be a lock for someone to sign even just in a backstage role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZqo4OZ0Pqs

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

EdsTeioh posted:

I just went to a seminar with him this past weekend. He seems to really like coaching and teaching. I didn't get a chance to talk to him very much but the seminar was great and I learned a ton even just as a commentator. He may be just doing freelance seminars and podcast right now.

Wouldn't surprise me if he was doing some training on the DL for someone and making some extra money. The guy has a really positive outlook, is a great teacher, and is super patient, nice, and understanding of beginners.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Didn't he used to teach at the Wrestle Factory before... whatever happened there?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Inspired by people freaking out by the actor from Karate Kid/Cobra Kai quoting his famous movie lines to Britt Baker like a LARP Cameo in the Bad Takes thread:

What fictional characters from television and film have (kayfabe) crossed over into US wrestling promotions? I'm mostly curious about US promotions, because I feel like the whole Tiger Mask/Leatherface/Los Tortugas/Los Thundercats/"what is Intellectual Property Law?" thing in Mexico and Japan is a whole separate conversation. For instance Louie Spicoli/Madonna's Boyfriend wouldn't count for what I'm thinking of, but a young Sean Penn (appearing either as a stoner named Sean, or as "Jeff Spicoli" on an old WCCW show would.

Fictional Characters who Crossed Over As Themselves into Wrestling Shows
- Arli$$, the agent from Arli$$ scouting wrestlers on WCW Nitro
- Chucky, the evil doll, menacing Rick Steiner and later the cast of NXT
- Robocop being friends with Sting
- The apes from the 2000 Planet of the Apes helping Chris Jericho make misogynistic jokes about Stephanie McMahon
- MacGruber blows up R-Truth during the Guest Host era of Raw
- The guys from that Farrely Brothers Three Stooges movie guest host Raw, as The Three Stooges
- Adam West appears as Batman in Memphis

Actors who played themselves with a nod towards "I am the star of this television show/film!"
- Guy from Karate Kid quotes his popular movie lines to Britt Baker on Dynamite this week
- Mister T gets into a boxing match with Roddy Piper after playing a boxer in Rocky III
- Part of the cast of the A-Team movie appears on Guest Host Era Raw and wrestler keep insisting Rampage Jackson is BA Barracus and Sharlito Copley is Murdock, but the announcer point out they are actors "acting like their character from the movie!"
- Taimak appeared on at least one ROH show channeling Bruce Leeroy from the Last Dragon

Edge Cases
- Leslie Nielsen and George Kennedy embodying the spirit of their Police Squad/Naked Gun characters to bumble through a search for the Undertaker, they're never named by their shoot names or their gimmick character names
- The Muppets appear as the Muppets on Raw
- Pee-wee Herman guest-hosts Raw in-character
- Elvira guest commentates at Wrestlemania II in-character

I came up with more examples of the first category than I expected after thinking about it. My initial response to a friend was "it's Robocop, Chucky, Arliss, and that's it"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Hero hasn't wrestled a single match since WWE cut him in March 2020. Maybe he's just done with the grind.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Edge & Christian posted:

Inspired by people freaking out by the actor from Karate Kid/Cobra Kai quoting his famous movie lines to Britt Baker like a LARP Cameo in the Bad Takes thread:

What fictional characters from television and film have (kayfabe) crossed over into US wrestling promotions? I'm mostly curious about US promotions, because I feel like the whole Tiger Mask/Leatherface/Los Tortugas/Los Thundercats/"what is Intellectual Property Law?" thing in Mexico and Japan is a whole separate conversation. For instance Louie Spicoli/Madonna's Boyfriend wouldn't count for what I'm thinking of, but a young Sean Penn (appearing either as a stoner named Sean, or as "Jeff Spicoli" on an old WCCW show would.

- The apes from the 2000 Planet of the Apes helping Chris Jericho make misogynistic jokes about Stephanie McMahon
- The guys from that Farrely Brothers Three Stooges movie guest host Raw, as The Three Stooges

Actors who played themselves with a nod towards "I am the star of this television show/film!"
- Guy from Karate Kid quotes his popular movie lines to Britt Baker on Dynamite this week
- Mister T gets into a boxing match with Roddy Piper after playing a boxer in Rocky III
- Part of the cast of the A-Team movie appears on Guest Host Era Raw and wrestler keep insisting Rampage Jackson is BA Barracus and Sharlito Copley is Murdock, but the announcer point out they are actors "acting like their character from the movie!"
- Taimak appeared on at least one ROH show channeling Bruce Leeroy from the Last Dragon

Edge Cases
- Leslie Nielsen and George Kennedy embodying the spirit of their Police Squad/Naked Gun characters to bumble through a search for the Undertaker, they're never named by their shoot names or their gimmick character names

I came up with more examples of the first category than I expected after thinking about it. My initial response to a friend was "it's Robocop, Chucky, Arliss, and that's it"

Does Tiny Lister reprising his role as Zeus from No Holds Barred and feuding with Hogan count? If I recall correctly they kind of waffled back and forth between him being an actor mad that he had to lose in the movie and him straight up being the character.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Edge & Christian posted:

Edge Cases

Samuel L Jackson as Shaft, hired by Crash Holly to protect him while he was as WWF New York.
Chuck Norris as a special enforcer at the Survivor Series (he was kind of dress like Walker, Texas Ranger)
Herb, the Burger King ad character ("He never had a Whopper?!") appearing at WM 2.

I remember one WWF PPV where they had some Bill Clinton look-a-like in the crowd (or maybe it was the Pope?)

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 18, 2022

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i can't stop thinking about when arli$$ saw macho man pull up kidman's shoulders from a 3 count by the hair in order to dish out more punishment, and arli$$ excitedly exclaimed how resilient kidman was for kicking out. wcw made me more embarrassed as an adolescent than anything embarrassing i would feel about myself, which was quite a lot during those times. that's how it is for everyone in the world.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Davros1 posted:

I remember one WWF PPV where they had some Bill Clinton look-a-like in the crowd (or maybe it was the Pope?)

It was definitely "Clinton." Pretty sure they even interviewed him while the guys playing the secret service stood around with their fingers on their earpieces.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Davros1 posted:

They had a fake Obama in the crowd at one point too.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
They had that whole PPV with Fake Obama and Hillary doing various skits right? I didn't watch around that time but I feel like I heard about it on a podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

There was also fake trump and fake rosie o donnel?

edit: Also The KFC Colonel had a match with a chicken once.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 18, 2022