Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

:allbuttons:

That's not how any of this works! AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > YOSPOS > buttcoin: That's not how any of this works!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

amazing

carl mark force iv will ride again

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

what was that very good and detailed piece written by an old cryptocash (?) person? I can't find it anywhere in my history because it had a very generic title

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Shame Boy posted:

lmao

https://twitter.com/rtnlthkr/status/1493872286012780544

this was in response to someone pointing out that no, energy does not actually work like that

our current theories of economics are nonsense! ask any physicist you want!!!

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Bitcoin is that, the greater than which cannot be conceived

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Wachter posted:

Bitcoin is that, the greater than which cannot be conceived

Ah, old Anselm of Crypto-bury.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

theflyingexecutive posted:

what was that very good and detailed piece written by an old cryptocash (?) person? I can't find it anywhere in my history because it had a very generic title

you may mean david s. h. rosenthal's recent stanford ee380 talk, although he doesn't mention hashcash in it (but he was employee #4 at nvidia)

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
https://twitter.com/plinz/status/1413012411418779654

EDIT: You know what, I think this one was a joke :shrug:

Doom Mathematic fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 17, 2022

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

This "bytte coin" seemeth the artifice of a knave. Belike thou art expounding it wrong

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

oh I'm ready

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Wachter posted:

This "bytte coin" seemeth the artifice of a knave. Belike thou art expounding it wrong
do u byte ur coin @ me

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

refleks posted:

Was Blockfi the crypto scam where some C-level tried to :justpost: his way through the claim that their interest accounts that was quite clearly a security, was in fact not securities, that just got hit with 100$ mio. penalty?

That's Coinbase.

They eventually just rolled back the Lending program.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

You can. For your metaverse house.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

coelomate posted:

It's astonishingly easy to create your own crypto currency.

Back in 2011, I remember thinking Bitcoin was doomed because it wasn't meaningfully scarce if anybody could start "Bitcoin 2" using identical code and concepts.

They really showed me how naïve I was by making beautiful, complicated machines that do nothing but churn out new cryptocurrencies. Like there are webforms that you click which features you want and it will spit out all 20 lines of code you need, mostly pulling from standard libraries. Pick your name, symbol, and how much to pre-mint to yourself then BAM. You're not only your own bank, you're issuing your own scrip!

:smithicide:

Just read an article on Solana and its even easier than that. Just sending a single instruction to the Solana token program allows you to spit out a new token or NFT. Now that's a sound investment.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
just type $mint to mint a new nft to your own blockchain

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

$mint

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

no-ones commenting on my ugly hoodie, must be because hoodies aren’t fashionable, no other reason
https://twitter.com/coinerstakingls/status/1494518250880651269?s=21

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

njsykora posted:

no-ones commenting on my ugly hoodie, must be because hoodies aren’t fashionable, no other reason

guarantee dude is already hiring somebody to say “nice hoodie” to him out in public

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:lol: at defining yourself by getting high fives for your shitass hoodie. What an absolutely miserable existence.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003238296583.html

LOL you can buy a hoodie for like :10bux:

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

gschmidl posted:

:lol: at defining yourself by getting high fives for your shitass hoodie. What an absolutely miserable existence.

I was told it was the no-coiners who were the losers, why is this happening to me!?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I bet they were imagining that they'd walk down the street and people would gather around in utter amazement at the art on display on their hoodie, and they'd preach to the crowd of thousands about the bored ape yacht club and the prices would go to the moon.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Boxturret posted:

I bet they were imagining that they'd walk down the street and people would gather around in utter amazement at the art on display on their hoodie, and they'd preach to the crowd of thousands about the bored ape yacht club and the prices would go to the moon.

That's what reading Sword of Truth does to the brain I guess.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-16/who-won-the-melania-trump-nft-auction-trump-crypto-wallet-linked-to-185k-funds

quote:

The source of funds for the winning bid in Melania Trump’s first NFT auction appears to be the creators of the project themselves.

A series of blockchain transactions show that the cryptocurrency used to purchase Trump’s nonfungible token came from a wallet that belongs to the entity that originally listed the project for sale. The former first lady began an auction in January for a collection of NFTs on the Solana blockchain, with art from her first official state visit in 2018.

Transactions reviewed by Bloomberg News show that on Jan. 23, the digital wallet listed as the creator of Trump’s NFT transferred 372,657 USDC, a stablecoin pegged to the U.S. dollar, to a second wallet that later sent 1,800 SOL to a third address. That third one is listed as the winner of the auction on Trump’s website.

On Jan. 27, the original wallet sent 1,800 SOL back to the second wallet address, according to blockchain transactions. The record of transactions was earlier reported by Vice.

lmao

quote:

In a statement, the Office of Melania Trump said, “The nature of Blockchain protocol is entirely transparent. Accordingly, the public can view each transaction on the Blockchain. The transaction was facilitated on behalf of a third-party buyer.”

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"when you looked at the transactions on the entirely transparent ledger and clearly saw that it was just shuffled around back and forth, that was due to the fact that it's entirely transparent" sure is a response

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

njsykora posted:

what do you suppose "this" is in "i can't do this anymore"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Function in society.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Continue to fly around the country trying to get someone to notice my hoodie?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

how bout they just loving ban it instead of creating a bunch of busywork for cops and wasting resources

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mercury_Storm posted:

how bout they just loving ban it instead of creating a bunch of busywork for cops and wasting resources

because the fbi and doj don't make laws, as much as every moron hollers that bullshit about judges "legislatin' from the bench," and congress, well, lmao they're loving bazingas sorry

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Mercury_Storm posted:

That would actually require a cryptocop department to police the ban

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/theneedling/status/1493778302787457029

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Shame Boy posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-16/who-won-the-melania-trump-nft-auction-trump-crypto-wallet-linked-to-185k-funds

lmao

quote:

In a statement, the Office of Melania Trump said, “The nature of Blockchain protocol is entirely transparent. Accordingly, the public can view each transaction on the Blockchain. The transaction was facilitated on behalf of a third-party buyer.”

out on the blockchain auctioning the times of my life with a bunch of buyers. they're all just 3rd party, buying too.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Mods rename me 'Ethically sourced komboucha' please.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

"when you looked at the transactions on the entirely transparent ledger and clearly saw that it was just shuffled around back and forth, that was due to the fact that it's entirely transparent" sure is a response

but lord, when i looked back upon the blockchain during my most troubled times, i only saw one set of transactions

my child, it was then when i hodled you

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Plank Walker posted:

but lord, when i looked back upon the blockchain during my most troubled times, i only saw one set of transactions

my child, it was then when i hodled you

Please, it's either 'hedl' or 'rugpulled'.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

I would love to find out how well "it's not wash trading if you can look it up and find out for yourself that it's wash trading" would work as a legal defense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE
May 6, 2007

Kanga-Rat Murder Society
I feel like there's a (bad) argument that it can't be fraud because there is no deceit