Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

I'm going through Mandalorian for the first time. I'm currently at episode 6. It's been an enjoyable romp so far even if it's oddly aimless.
It somehow reminds me a little of the old Xena/Hercules series I used to watch. Just a "hero" going from town/planet to town/planet and "solving" the problems there while toting around someone who depends on the "hero".

There's a very clear aim for the mandalorian: Sell baby yoda merchandise.

The xena/hercules comparison is totally apt though, and it's not a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
It’s funny though, because as I recall, there was pretty much no official baby Yoda merchandise ready when the show hit, just before Christmas as well. It seemed to me that they had really doubled down on surprising people with him, to the point that they didn’t even tell the sales department. That seems almost impossible for a company like Disney, but I can’t explain the initial lack of plushies and coffee cups any other way.

On Palpy talk, I’ve always maintained that it could absolutely work to bring him back, but it was insane to try and do so in the literal first minutes of the final film, instead of the last act of the second. Like, TLJ should end with Kylo, finding some clue on Snoke, leading him to Palpatine, and have his reveal be the climax of that movie. But then that requires them to have a long-term plan for their trilogy so that’s out the window I suppose.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BigglesSWE posted:

It’s funny though, because as I recall, there was pretty much no official baby Yoda merchandise ready when the show hit, just before Christmas as well. It seemed to me that they had really doubled down on surprising people with him, to the point that they didn’t even tell the sales department. That seems almost impossible for a company like Disney, but I can’t explain the initial lack of plushies and coffee cups any other way.

On Palpy talk, I’ve always maintained that it could absolutely work to bring him back, but it was insane to try and do so in the literal first minutes of the final film, instead of the last act of the second. Like, TLJ should end with Kylo, finding some clue on Snoke, leading him to Palpatine, and have his reveal be the climax of that movie. But then that requires them to have a long-term plan for their trilogy so that’s out the window I suppose.

There was no Baby Yoba merch at the beginning because Disney thought that The Mandalorian was going to be a flop because after Solo people were tired of Star Wars and no one was going to give a poo poo about Baby Yoda and were wrong spectacularly on both fronts.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
There was no baby Yoda merch because they asked Disney not to produce merchandise before the show started so it wouldn't be leaked and spoil it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There was no baby Yoda merch because they asked Disney not to produce merchandise before the show started so it wouldn't be leaked and spoil it.

Yeah, this came up in one of the other Star Wars threads recently (Maybe buried back a bit in this one?), and there was zero official merchandise when the show first started airing. They kinda scrambled to get some cheap t-shirts and mugs or whatever out shortly after it started airing, and bootleg stuff popped up all over, but the show began airing in November 2019 and the first official Baby Yoda toys IIRC didn’t release until the following March.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Credit to them then because it absolutely worked. People were floored by Grogu when he first showed up and it must’ve been all the more pressure to get hands on the first merch because of it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The worst is that now Grogu merch is everywhere and not a drat Mando in sight.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

If they released merch upon launch I assume we may not have the phenomenon of people adopting baby Yoda and building Facebook profiles for them

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BigglesSWE posted:

Credit to them then because it absolutely worked. People were floored by Grogu when he first showed up and it must’ve been all the more pressure to get hands on the first merch because of it.

BDH has talked about how she had to make sure her kid didn't squeal to their friends about the character.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1494445824805257235

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm struggling to remember the last film score (not just Star Wars) that actually had that John Williams magic. Probably Revenge of the Sith? Nothing he's done since then has hit the same way.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Phantom Menace and Duel of the Fates was his last Magnum Opus for me. His other stuff after that is fine but doesn’t have the same impact, in my dumb internet opinion. But I’m curious to see what he does for Obi.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
A few of the pieces from TFA (and to a lesser extent TLJ) are good but as a whole they weren't up to his previous work.

And I can't remember a single piece of new music from RoS.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

Phantom Menace and Duel of the Fates was his last Magnum Opus for me. His other stuff after that is fine but doesn’t have the same impact, in my dumb internet opinion.

This insult to Across the Stars will not stand

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

feedmyleg posted:

This insult to Across the Stars will not stand

Totally. It's a shame it wasn't written for a less gross love story.

Battle of the Heroes slaps so hard for me. It sells the Mustafar fight as an exciting, climactic battle all on its own. It edges Fates for me.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

stev posted:

I wish we saw the failed Palpy clones, like that bit in Alien Resurrection.
We saw the failed Palpatine clone's daughter, isn't that enough?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

stev posted:

Battle of the Heroes slaps so hard for me. It sells the Mustafar fight as an exciting, climactic battle all on its own. It edges Fates for me.

It’s such an apocalyptic fight, I go back and watch it every now and again :unsmith:

RotS had some drat good moments, and also declared right out of the gate that it had no fucks to give. Decapitation less than 10min in? Sure, gently caress it! Later, Anakin force choking his pregnant wife? Even the implication of Anakin killing all but one of the kids at the temple? Let’s do those too!

That movie went some dark places, not just for Star Wars but overall.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Williams did do the main theme for Solo and I liked it. The John Powell soundtrack for the rest of the film was also good but The Adventures of Han Solo slaps hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVfjzACrzFo

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Cartoon Man posted:

Phantom Menace and Duel of the Fates was his last Magnum Opus for me. His other stuff after that is fine but doesn’t have the same impact, in my dumb internet opinion. But I’m curious to see what he does for Obi.

Rey's theme is quite lovely, but off my head I can't remember any other themes from the sequel trilogy. Very curious to see how the Obi theme will come out.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Dave Syndrome posted:

Rey's theme is quite lovely, but off my head I can't remember any other themes from the sequel trilogy. Very curious to see how the Obi theme will come out.

I like Rey’s theme, but mostly because parts of it sound like something that snuck out of the Interstellar soundtrack (which was…er…stellar :dadjoke: )

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dave Syndrome posted:

Yeah Rey's theme's nice. I suppose I associate good John Williams themes with sweeping scores that dominate a scene - whereas Rey's theme adds some nice background texture.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I like the mournful downward feel of Kylo Ren's theme.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Karloff posted:

I like the mournful downward feel of Kylo Ren's theme.

Oh hell yeah. Kylo’s theme is great.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One of his most overlooked soundtracks has got to be War Horse. The music in that movie is phenomenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdzaRwcCc38

Appropriately it sounds most like his Phantom Menace and Harry Potter music, which are definitely his best scores.

Williams is still a fantastic composer and I think a big reason why his sequel trilogy stuff isn't as memorable is because there isn't as much new material. There are way, way too many callbacks to the OT soundtracks that make it feel derivative rather than revolutionary. If you listen to the Prequel soundtracks it's pretty amazing how little of the original music is actually in them as opposed to the new compositions.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 18, 2022

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The Resistance March, Rey's Theme, and Kylo's theme are all great. The track from TLJ where they are racing the fathiers across the night has a really great old school ETish vibe to it, which I really liked when seeing it in theaters.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Each track from the sequels is individually good, but nothing really sticks after you’ve left. Ludwig’s stuff for the shows is much more memorable because the scenes are.

Everyone remembers the Imperial March playing for Darth Vader. Who remembers what plays when Kylo shows up somewhere?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Oh I forgot that chase scene, yeah I recall listening to that track a lot.

Also yeah, Ludwig has proven to be quite the find for the tv-shows. Both Mando and Boba has great themes. And it must be said, the changes made to the last episodes of the latter was a nice touch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ludwig and Shirley have been pumping out great stuff for the TV shows and I liked most of John Powell's stuff in Solo. The reason they stick so well is because they're new but still star wars. That's a hard line to walk.

Michael Giachinno's music for Rogue One was still the biggest letdown. Three weeks isn't enough time to make a good score from scratch so it sounded like a fanfilm soundtrack.

I'd like to see Mark Griskey or Jesse Harlin come back for more Star Wars. Kotor 2 has a beautifully eerie score and Jesse Harlin did Republic Commando, which is full of Mandalorian chants and war songs.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I did appreciate the “Death Star theme” callback in Rogue One.

But Giacchino’s best work lately is with Pixar. Incredibles 2 is, well, incredible.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Ludwig and Shirley have been pumping out great stuff for the TV shows and I liked most of John Powell's stuff in Solo. The reason they stick so well is because they're new but still star wars. That's a hard line to walk.

Michael Giachinno's music for Rogue One was still the biggest letdown. Three weeks isn't enough time to make a good score from scratch so it sounded like a fanfilm soundtrack.

I'd like to see Mark Griskey or Jesse Harlin come back for more Star Wars. Kotor 2 has a beautifully eerie score and Jesse Harlin did Republic Commando, which is full of Mandalorian chants and war songs.

I think he poured his effort into a single scene: when Vader arrives in his ISD and starts wrecking the entire rebel fleet, up until he’s watching the Tantive IV drop out of the hangar. The music there fits near-perfect.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Icon Of Sin posted:

I think he poured his effort into a single scene: when Vader arrives in his ISD and starts wrecking the entire rebel fleet, up until he’s watching the Tantive IV drop out of the hangar. The music there fits near-perfect.

it wasnt the most original score, but I actually quite like Rogue One's score alot. "Jyn Erso & Hope Suite" which IIRC is when jyn is getting blowed up is really great. There is that wavy kind of motif that is the predominant "rogue one" theme in there. The Imperial Suite when vader is butchering everyone is obviously good. I like The Master Switch which is playing during the intense everyone is getting rekt act 3 bits.

Beyond that I just love the alternate takes on classic star wars themes he has, like the bassoon star wars theme when they are flying out from Y4 to Jedha. The Jedha tracks were cool though not necessarily memorable.

For the short time he had I think he did a fine job. I would have loved to see what he'd have done with a few more months though.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

stev posted:

I can hear part of Battles of the Heroes in my head and it's an awesome track

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Rogue One score is fantastic. As mentioned above, Hope Suite and the following scene with the Devastator arriving and Vader wrecking poo poo are the highlights. Just very beautiful and with a hint of optimism, but mournful and hopeless at the same time. Really sells the whole ending sequence.

But I really like the rest of the score— Eadu, Rogue One, Scrambling the Fleet, the not-Imperial March, and Your Father Would be Proud are good too.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

stev posted:

Anakin vs Obi-Wan (Or Heroes Collide if you're going off the cue titles) is fantastic, and segues into The Boys Continue and Battle of the Heroes wonderfully :allears:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

chitoryu12 posted:

Each track from the sequels is individually good, but nothing really sticks after you’ve left. Ludwig’s stuff for the shows is much more memorable because the scenes are.

Everyone remembers the Imperial March playing for Darth Vader. Who remembers what plays when Kylo shows up somewhere?

Raises hand. Also not really a fair comparison. "Hey, which is better, this well beloved 40 year old track or this six year old track from maligned movies?"

And like others have said, Jedi Steps and Rey's theme have both stuck with me as some of the noteworthy ST themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUBUlKgsNK8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65As1V0vQDM

The second half of The Spark is also a stand out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHb9T6WvvW0

TROS is a bit of a mess, I'm not sure there's any stand out new stuff in there. Being the end of the trilogy, Williams seems to have really purposefully leaned on hearkening back to old themes.

Rogue One also has a lot of great stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qemb3iBlp1o

And for those interested, last week they finally released a new digital version of the soundtrack with an expanded score and alternate cues.

Also some love for Solo's Cloud Riders theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N5Lzq-F0qk

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Meet Han" and "Corellia Chase" from Solo are pretty good too

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mandrel posted:

ok draw it
I did. In the post you just read. And after the last seven years, I'm done doing homework for hostile strangers on the internet who've demonstrated zero intellectual curiosity about the thing they're demanding I explain.

But if you want to go do your own loving homework, go anywhere people hate Star Wars prequels and sequels (you won't have to look far) and mention that anything — literally anything, including use of the N word — is racist, and just watch how people react.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Teek posted:

Raises hand. Also not really a fair comparison. "Hey, which is better, this well beloved 40 year old track or this six year old track from maligned movies?"

And like others have said, Jedi Steps and Rey's theme have both stuck with me as some of the noteworthy ST themes.
Yeah those are my picks too.

Rose has a nice theme in TLJ as well

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I also really love the Kessel Run theme from Solo and how it blends in elements of both the TIE fighter attack theme from ANH and the asteroid theme from ESB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Powell also did a fun propaganda-y version of the Imperial March for that recruitment ad that Han sees in the spaceport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayFAqdRgf3E