Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

this guy never questioned going to war in the first place. he was one of the first volunteers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Well he was a career soldier.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

Well he was a career soldier.

exactly why he can't be trusted

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

skooma512 posted:

Yeah they're definitely fighting the last war with this thinking. The fact that we haven't had an actual challenge to US air superiority since Vietnam, aka over a generation after these think-tankers started their careers is also probably why they think it just solves everything and is invincible.

As for none of it making sense. Well, it never had to in a military sense, because NATO must confront Russia is not a tactical/strategy imperative, but an economic one. They need to constantly point out boogeymen to justify massive boondoggle projects.

What’s funny, and I know you eluded to is, this already happened!

In Vietnam, huge amounts of the US inventory were proven to be, if not trash, than woefully disappointing. The entire Century Series of USAF aircraft and several USN aircraft severely underperformed relative expectations. The entire air war over Central Europe was riding on F-100’s, which were deemed so vulnerable they were restricted to missions over South Vietnam, and the F-105, the only US aircraft retired because losses were too high to keep operating it.

The same thing happened with land equipment. I realize the jury is still out on the M551 "Sheridan", and maybe the M50 Ontos, but outside of their very specific intended Central European roles they suffered. The M26 Pershing underperformed in Korea against T34s and was revealed to have all sorts of automotive problems. So far as I know, the Marines didn’t even take their M103s to Vietnam.

The Arab Israeli wars also tested American cold war equipment in conventional war, and as much as we think of them as one sided exchanges beating up Monkey Models, the Centurion and M48 proved to be way more vulnerable than predicted, even with crack crews. I don’t think anyone in NATO was prepared for the threat of SAMs and ATGMs revealed in 1973, though again I think the Gulf War has kind of erased this from memory.

Like you said, even if boondoggles aren’t revealed in peacetime, these other conflicts have revealed a string of disappointments that’re gone from national memory.

We remember Paveways on CNN, not severe issues with the US inventory of bombs revealed by Vietnam and the Arab-Israeli Wars. We remember footage from a hotel balcony in Baghdad of all of these tracers and a chiron that says no Coalition aircraft lost, not the very bad time the US had over Hanoi or the Israelis had when the Egyptians and Syrians were on the ball. Hell, the first warship sunk by a SSM was an Israeli destroyer gifted to them on the presumption that no Arab navy could ever challenge them.

The Georgian Army getting rolled up somehow doesn’t reflect their US support, training and equipment. The Iraqi army losing Abrams outside Mosul is already forgotten. If the Ukrainians get trashed and US equipment underperforms, for whatever intervening reason, it won’t be absorbed even after it’s observed.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

…and the russians used an s-400

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I know "The Pentagon Wars was a documentary" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA) is a lukewarm take for a thread like this but it still brings a smile to my face that it keeps coming up

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

That's not even the funniest thing about the Sergeant York, which is that during one of its field tests the systems malfunctioned and turned the turret directly at the observers' stands. So both 40mm guns full of live ammo were aimed at all of the observers, who immediately dove for cover. Then the guns aimed down, and it dumped the entire magazine into the ground while spinning around in a circle.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
they fixed all the issues in the m1a2s that australia bought right

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Bar Ran Dun posted:

there is a more material explanation for bulk going to the metropole from colonies and finished goods going out and that relationship changing that doesn’t require all the words.

the container. when did the container become widespread?

the trueanon episode about supply chain disruption talked about this (ep 194)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcom_McLean

quote:

In 1956, most cargoes were loaded and unloaded by hand by longshore workers. Hand-loading a ship cost $5.86 a ton at that time. Using containers, it cost only 16 cents a ton to load a ship, 36-fold savings. Containerization also greatly reduced the time to load and unload ships. McLean knew "A ship earns money only when she's at sea", and based his business on that efficiency.

quote:

By the end of the 1960s, Sea-Land Industries had 27,000 trailer-type containers, manufactured by Fruehauf, 36 trailer ships and access to over 30 port cities

quote:

As the advantages to McLean's container system became apparent, competitors quickly adapted. They built bigger ships, larger gantry cranes and more sophisticated containers. Sea-Land needed cash to stay competitive. McLean turned to Reynolds Tobacco Company, a company he knew from his trucking company days when his trucks transported Reynolds cigarettes across the United States. In January 1969, Reynolds agreed to buy Sea-Land for $530 million in cash and stock. McLean made $160 million personally[14] and got a seat on the company's board. To carry out the purchase, Reynolds formed a holding company, named R.J. Reynolds Industries, Inc., which bought Sea-Land in May 1969. That same year, Sea-Land ordered five of the largest, fastest container ships in the world - SL-7 class vessels.

lots of citations need on this wikipedia article but i assume it was around then

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

crepeface posted:

they fixed all the issues in the m1a2s that australia bought right

Much like Canada, Australia buys weapons systems based on diplomatic pressure and/or corruption.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, yeah there is no way to fix how much gas the M1A2 guzzles, its relatively limited range, or that it is still crew loaded gun.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

gradenko_2000 posted:

I know "The Pentagon Wars was a documentary" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA) is a lukewarm take for a thread like this but it still brings a smile to my face that it keeps coming up

What's a TOE infantry squad

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That's not even the funniest thing about the Sergeant York, which is that during one of its field tests the systems malfunctioned and turned the turret directly at the observers' stands. So both 40mm guns full of live ammo were aimed at all of the observers, who immediately dove for cover. Then the guns aimed down, and it dumped the entire magazine into the ground while spinning around in a circle.

Nearly welcomed the robot army to the resistance

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Frosted Flake posted:

Much like Canada, Australia buys weapons systems based on diplomatic pressure and/or corruption.

:rip:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's a TOE infantry squad

"TOE" means "Table of Equipment", sometimes also referred as "TO&E", for "Table of Organization & Equipment"

it refers to what the on-paper/intended composition of a infantry squad: this many soldiers, with this many guns, that much ammo, and this much other equipment. A US Army infantry squad is supposed to be composed of nine soldiers.

in the context of that quote, what he's saying is that a single Bradley doesn't have enough carrying capacity to transport an entire infantry squad in one go, which is a problem in terms of keeping things organized, since you have to split a squad across multiple Bradleys, or you have to leave some soldiers behind/have them ride something else.

a quick wikipedia tells me that the BMP-3, a rough Russian equivalent to the Bradley, can carry the vehicle's commander, gunner, and driver, and then seven passengers. The M2 Bradley also has a crew of three, but can carry one fewer passenger.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

"TOE" means "Table of Equipment", sometimes also referred as "TO&E", for "Table of Organization & Equipment"

it refers to what the on-paper/intended composition of a infantry squad: this many soldiers, with this many guns, that much ammo, and this much other equipment. A US Army infantry squad is supposed to be composed of nine soldiers.

in the context of that quote, what he's saying is that a single Bradley doesn't have enough carrying capacity to transport an entire infantry squad in one go, which is a problem in terms of keeping things organized, since you have to split a squad across multiple Bradleys, or you have to leave some soldiers behind/have them ride something else.

a quick wikipedia tells me that the BMP-3, a rough Russian equivalent to the Bradley, can carry the vehicle's commander, gunner, and driver, and then seven passengers. The M2 Bradley also has a crew of three, but can carry one fewer passenger.

The issue is that the m113 could carry a full squad, so if you have a mix of both it is a mess.

Both the BMP and BTR are designed to carry 7 passengers, so there is uniformity.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Bar Ran Dun posted:

there is a more material explanation for bulk going to the metropole from colonies and finished goods going out and that relationship changing that doesn’t require all the words.

the container. when did the container become widespread?

recently read this fairly in-depth LRB article on containerization, found it pretty interesting

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v43/n08/john-lanchester/gargantuanisation

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Who has that seating chart of a Bradley platoon?

It requires a very intricate seating arrangement that I have never been able to make sense of, with guys split between vehicles and presumably having to run from one to where their buddies are when they dismount.

e: You see the problem here?

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Ardennes posted:

or that it is still crew loaded gun.

Is that really so bad though? I haven't seen any real data either way, just internet arguments, but the fact you have an extra guy for watch/maintenance/crew casualties and a loader can get the first few rounds off as fast or faster than an autoloader, plus the fact it's one less thing that can break, make it seem like a horse apiece.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Autoloading guns can also be manually loaded if the autoloader malfunctions, so you're not really gaining any advantages.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

What’s funny, and I know you eluded to is, this already happened!
The M26 Pershing underperformed in Korea against T34s and was revealed to have all sorts of automotive problems. So far as I know, the Marines didn’t even take their M103s to Vietnam.

What was the issue with Pershings in Korea? Its better known that the Pershing derivative Pattons got penetrated by Centurions a bunch of times in the Indo-Pak wars with the blame being placed on tank tactics by the user while the US technical inspection was more circumspect. Chawinda and Asal Uttar caused huge amounts of attrition and created a cool tank graveyard but that was it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Is that really so bad though? I haven't seen any real data either way, just internet arguments, but the fact you have an extra guy for watch/maintenance/crew casualties and a loader can get the first few rounds off as fast or faster than an autoloader, plus the fact it's one less thing that can break, make it seem like a horse apiece.

The vehicle has to be considerably larger to fit a loader that has to handle the rounds, which means significantly more weight (especially considering the armor on the Abrams). It also means a more visible vehicle, also not something that you want. There is a reason it has a turbine engine and thus limited range.

Also, the loader getting rounds quickly in the gun is more theoretical since it is a human and plenty of things can go wrong while autoloaders on Soviet tanks were known for being reliable. Also, that loader is going to get tired in a prolonged engagement, another issue.

There is a reason why everyone went to autoloaders.

(Also more recently the T 90m has extra armor around its ammo and propellent.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:04 on Feb 18, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

oscarthewilde posted:

recently read this fairly in-depth LRB article on containerization, found it pretty interesting

this was a fantastic read, thank you

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol their lovely tank can't even travel the length of a full tank of gas before requiring maintenance

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

quote:

One of the early models was reported to have locked onto a latrine fan, mistaking its return for a moving target of low-priority. Reporting on the incident in another article on the vehicle's woes, Washington Monthly reported that "Michael Duffy, a reporter for the industry publication Defense Week, who broke this aspect of the story, received a conference call in which Ford officials asked him to describe the target as a 'building fan' or 'exhaust fan' instead."[20]

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ardennes posted:

The vehicle has to be considerably larger to fit a loader that has to handle the rounds, which means significantly more weight (especially considering the armor on the Abrams). It also means a more visible vehicle, also not something that you want. There is a reason it has a turbine engine and thus limited range.

Also, the loader getting rounds quickly in the gun is more theoretical since it is a human and plenty of things can go wrong while autoloaders on Soviet tanks were known for being reliable. Also, that loader is going to get tired in a prolonged engagement, another issue.

Autoloaders also eliminates the crew space needed for a dedicated human loader too and the loader himself, causing unemployment

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Rutibex posted:

lol their lovely tank can't even travel the length of a full tank of gas before requiring maintenance

good thing russia/china/iran is just gonna sit there and let america enjoy their 6-month logistics buildup across their borders like saddam did

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir0FAa8P2MU&t=2080s

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Hey isn't this one of the gags from Robocop 2?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

america doesnt need any weapons for a real war because we will abandon our allies immediately and pretend its not happening

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

oscarthewilde posted:

yeah, this is the article that really made the impact of containerization hit home for me. Key bit for anyone paywalled or time-poor:

quote:

Along with oil tankers, the other type of ship that has grown bigger and bigger since the 1960s is Ever Given’s category: the container vessel. It is difficult to overstate the importance of the container in the modern economy. Containers are the force which has driven the cost of shipping down, and then further down, and then down so low that it has in effect abolished itself as an economic factor. The remarkable thing about the story of the container is that it is such a simple idea that almost anyone could have had it – anyone who has ever tidied up children’s toys, for instance. The idea is that stuff is more manageable if you shove it into a box. That’s it.

This​ might not sound like a big deal. But in the world of shipping it was revolutionary: a single container which could travel from truck to train to boat to destination; which could be made to a uniform scale and was an entirely fungible unit of transport. It was the invention of the American businessman Malcolm McLean, and his achievement wasn’t so much the idea, which pretty much anyone could have had, but the relentless force with which he lobbied manufacturers, regulators, politicians, governments, unions, railway companies, shipping companies, trucking companies and port authorities to bring it into being. The first container ship, SS Ideal-X, set sail from Newark on 26 April 1956, carrying a load of 58 containers. The world caught on fast, because the container ship’s advantages were immediately obvious: speed and convenience and efficiency. The standard container of McLean’s invention, the TEU or twenty-foot equivalent unit, now dominates the world of shipping and transportation.

Before containers, workers unloading a boat might find themselves confronted, Marc Levinson says, with ‘hundred-kilo bags of sugar or twenty-pound cheeses nestled next to two-ton steel coils’. ‘Unloading bananas required the longshoremen to walk down a gangplank carrying eighty-pound stems of hard fruit on their shoulders. Moving coffee meant carrying fifteen-kilo bags to a wooden pallet placed in the hold, letting a winch lift the pallet to the dock, and then removing each bag from the pallet and stacking it atop a massive pile.’ A single ship might carry a pile of cement bags, copper bars too big for a man to carry, steel drums of beef tallow, baskets of oranges, barrels of olives, 440-pound bales of cotton. Levinson describes the cargo of one ship, the SS Warrior, in detail. On a single journey from Brooklyn to Bremerhaven it carried 5015 tons of cargo, consisting of 194,582 individual items: 74,903 cases, 71,726 cartons, 24,036 bags, 10,671 boxes, 2880 bundles, 2877 packages, 2634 pieces, 1538 drums, 888 cans, 815 barrels, 53 wheeled vehicles, 21 crates, 10 transporters, 5 reels and 1525 undetermined items. The Warrior took six days to load (including one lost to a strike), ten days to sail the Atlantic, and another four days to unload (because the American longshoremen worked one eight-hour shift but the Germans worked round the clock). So half of the total journey time was spent loading and unloading.

The container gets rid of all that labour and replaces it with a largely automated process. Ships are unloaded now in a matter of hours, with the order determined by algorithms. Nobody knows or cares what’s in the boxes: the crew’s manifest is concerned only with items that are refrigerated or dangerous. Apart from that, for the crew and the dockworkers, the containers are labelled boxes of who-knows-what. The process is fast, so fast that a whole corpus of image, story and folklore concerning sailors on shore is no longer relevant: they are only ever on shore for a few hours at a time. Much of the increasing efficiency of the process is linked to ever increasing size. In 1980, seventeen ships with a capacity of 20,000 TEU between them were sailing weekly from North America to Japan; another 23 ships were sailing from Northern Europe to North America, and eight more, with a capacity of 15,000 TEU, were sailing to Japan. Impressive: but the Ever Given alone carries 20,124 TEU. The biggest ships in the world, the Algeciras class built by the Korean company Daewoo, carry 23,964 TEU. If you lined up the containers on one of those ships in single file, they would stretch for ninety miles.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

gradenko_2000 posted:

Eh, this very much looks like an old person yelling at clouds. The m16 and m4 is actually very good, and there's a reason it's incredibly popular around the world. Most of the early issues were exaggerated, largely because the military very much wanted to keep using the m14 as the service rifle.

The Bradley may have been a big development boondoggle, but the end result is a very capable vehicle.

Ardennes posted:

Not "everyone" went to autoloaders. Russia and France did. UK didn't, Germany didn't.

There's an important doctrinal difference here, rather than just obtuseness. Russian tanks are meant to be used for shorter periods of time, so being cramped is less of an issue, but they are quite miserable to be inside. They are built to be lighter, and smaller in profile as well as width (to make it hard for NATO tanks to cross bridges in Russia). Western tanks are meant to be used for longer periods of time, with crews frequently spending whole days inside.

There is another benefit of larger size: a penetrating hit is much less likely to kill the crew or set off ammunition.

See, it is much smaller and a harder target to hit, but imagine actually hitting it. There's a lot fewer places for the round to go without destroying the tank.

A few pages ago there was also a discussion on active protection systems. They of course have a lot of downsides, but it isn't a matter of Israel being stupid and the US falling for it - the Russians have been using APS since the late 70s, longer than anyone else, and they seem pretty happy with it. Yeah, yeah, the 70s one was discontinued due to collateral damage to nearby soldiers, replaced in the 80s by an electronic one without a hard-kill component, but then a new system with hard-kill in the 90s. Not perfect, but useful.

None of this is to defend the capabilities of the US military, because lmao. But there are far better examples of poo poo equipment, poo poo training and poo poo command than these. Like that time an air force general told his soldiers that testifying to congress that the A-10 was a good plane was treason.

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 17:03 on Feb 18, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
there used to be a "Congressional A-10 Caucus" that always voted in lockstep to make sure the A-10 wasn't axed
Rep. Martha McSally (R-Ariz.)
Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.)
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.)
Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.)

quote:

The Air Force argues that the F-35 Lightning II – the branch’s sleek, stealthy and superlatively expensive next-generation fighter – will be able to carry the Warthog’s torch.

McSally disagrees. She said the F-35 is less lethal than the Warthog, and thinner-skinned; and while it’s faster, it guzzles gas, resulting in less time spent providing fire support, she said.

Compare the F-35’s cannon to the A-10’s, she said: the A-10 carries 1,174 rounds for its gun. The F-35A – the model the Air Force says will take the A-10’s place – carries 180 for its smaller, 25-millimeter cannon.

“That’s one trigger pull, okay?” McSally said. “People like to fairy-dust that away.”

Another key difference between the aircraft: While the F-35 is years overdue and billions over budget, the A-10 is being used to fight the self-proclaimed Islamic State as part of Operation Inherent Resolve.

McSally hastened to clarify the F-35’s importance: Without next-generation fighters to clear the skies and suppress air defenses, the A-10 can’t do its job. But when it must, she said, there’s no better aircraft.

“Close air support is never going to be a clean videogame, no matter how sophisticated our weapons systems are,” she said.

Mark Gunzinger, a senior fellow with the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments, isn’t so sure. Thanks to precision ordnance, most aircraft – including unmanned aircraft – are capable of dropping bombs within meters of their intended targets, he said.

“It’s hard for me to believe that our nation still needs, in the long run, an aircraft that was designed to be pointed at a target when we have all these other aircraft that can drop with that degree of precision,” said Gunzinger, a retired Air Force colonel and bomber pilot.

He mentioned the Small Diameter Bomb, a slender bomb specifically designed for use in close quarters. “Do we really need guns when we’re going to have better weapons in the future that can hit with greater precision?” he said. The Pentagon recently approved the SDB for production and deployment with the F-15 Strike Eagle.

While he agrees that the A-10 is a tough cut, he said it’s a cut that Congress forced the military to make, and that preserving the A-10 comes at a cost.

“If the Air Force can’t retire the oldest fighter it has, then where should they look? They’ll have to look in modernization funding,” he said, meaning the F-35 could face additional delays.

Isakson agreed that sequestration has proved painful for the Air Force: “They have a job to do, and it’s been forced on them by us, so we bear some responsibility,” he said. But he insisted that the Air Force could have made cuts elsewhere in its budget.

“There’s no single replacement,” he said.

The Air Force did not respond to requests for comment.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

The Georgian Army getting rolled up somehow doesn’t reflect their US support, training and equipment. The Iraqi army losing Abrams outside Mosul is already forgotten. If the Ukrainians get trashed and US equipment underperforms, for whatever intervening reason, it won’t be absorbed even after it’s observed.

That's the power of ideology I guess. Americans have been fed these lines about invincibility and our pop culture and media is focused on reinforcing that both for foreign and domestic purposes. They'll show you every video of a T-72 getting it's top popped off, but not do everything they can to not show knocked out M1's outside of Mosul, or tanks flipped by an IED in Afghanistan.

Hell even our crushing technological superiority in the Gulf War was mostly a stage show, thing was a complete poo poo show and maybe more a testament to how badly Iraq had been drained by the Iran-Iraq war, but that has to be ignored to create the narrative of having the best equipment and besr trained troops ever.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Australia buying Abrams when every other Leo 1 user bought either Leo 2 or their own indigenous tanks, to me, reads as US diplomatic pressure. Does anyone know the details?

Also, wrt to Loaders - I don’t know many cavalrymen, but from chit chatting with them, having four guys to do all the primary maintenance, cook, do their watch on sentry overnight, refuel, is much better than having 3.

The boring parts of soldiering get left out of the comparisons of armour thickness and firepower, but it’s 99% of the job. Having an extra guy just so you are responsible for 25% rather than 33% of things that needs to get done seems to justify it alone. May as well have him load shells while he’s at it.

Iirc this is what the “Assistant driver”, “mechanic” or whatever of the Shermans did. It wasn’t about the bow machine gun, it was about everything else. I mean, thinking about all of the sensors and poo poo that needs to be maintained on a modern MBT, how finicky some of that is as well as the powertrain, I’m a bit surprised nobody has thought about reintroducing 5 man crews. That’s a lot of work when you stop at the laager for the night.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:19 on Feb 18, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Frosted Flake posted:

Australia buying Abrams when every other Leo 1 user bought either Leo 2 or their own indigenous tanks, to me, reads as US diplomatic pressure. Does anyone know the details?

Also, wrt to Loaders - I don’t know many cavalrymen, but from chit chatting with them, having four guys to do all the primary maintenance, cook, do their watch on sentry overnight, refuel, is much better than having 3.

The boring parts of soldiering get left out of the comparisons of armour thickness and firepower, but it’s 99% of the job. Having an extra guy just so you are responsible for 25% rather than 33% of things that needs to get done seems to justify it alone. May as well have him load shells while he’s at it.

Iirc this is what the “Assistant driver”, “mechanic” or whatever of the Shermans did. It wasn’t about the bow machine gun, it was about everything else. I mean, thinking about all of the sensors and poo poo that needs to be maintained on a modern MBT, how finicky some of that is as well as the powertrain, I’m a bit surprised nobody has thought about reintroducing 5 man crews. That’s a lot of work when you stop at the laager for the night.
If you're capped by your number of recruits, then going to 4 from 3 cuts down your possible sales by a quarter. And from the PoV of the army, it means paying a third more per tank.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

They of course have a lot of downsides, but it isn't a matter of Israel being stupid and the US falling for it - the Russians have been using APS since the late 70s, longer than anyone else, and they seem pretty happy with it. Yeah, yeah, the 70s one was discontinued due to collateral damage to nearby soldiers, replaced in the 80s by an electronic one without a hard-kill component, but then a new system with hard-kill in the 90s. Not perfect, but useful.

APS makes sense for the Soviets and Russians because they were expecting to do big maneuvers on open terrain where they wouldn't need supporting infantry to move close with the tanks. Israel is operating on a different calculus where they're trying to achieve the impossible, which is have a perfectly invincible tank that will avoid all casualties AND act as an APC that can deliver soldiers to the front. There is no room for maneuver in a country as small as Israel & Palestine, and Gaza is just a big urban area. The Israelis are more motivated by their preoccupation with eugenic health than anything sensible.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

vyelkin posted:

yeah, this is the article that really made the impact of containerization hit home for me. Key bit for anyone paywalled or time-poor:

quote:

The Warrior took six days to load (including one lost to a strike), ten days to sail the Atlantic, and another four days to unload (because the American longshoremen worked one eight-hour shift but the Germans worked round the clock). So half of the total journey time was spent loading and unloading.

so Americans, working one shift, took 5 days to load it and Germans, working three shifts, unloaded it in 4. lol. Germany is butt

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's hard to overstate how much containerization cost in terms of jobs and entire seaside communities that relied on those jobs, on top of how longshoremen's unions were some of the most active and large among worker movements in the West

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

indigi posted:

so Americans, working one shift, took 5 days to load it and Germans, working three shifts, unloaded it in 4. lol. Germany is butt
I feel like there's a possibility that the people loading a ship might do it in a way that makes it harder for the people unloading it. And this possibly saving time for the ones loading. We need the stats for the opposite journey.

Admittedly, there is also the very real possibility that the Americans were working without proper safety regulations, while the Germans were hampered by German bureaucracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Admittedly, there is also the very real possibility that the Americans were working without proper safety regulations, while the Germans were hampered by German bureaucracy.

the Americans had time to organize execute and win a strike in the middle of loading the ship I don’t wanna hear it, German workers are garbage case closed 👨‍⚖️