Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Is it me or is there a lot more DC stuff available on Comixology Unlimited?

Edit: but too terrible for browsing and discoverability.

hadji murad fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
On the bright side Rebellion is having the time of its life and there's a new Humble Bundle of their stuff.
(The usual rear end-ton of Dredd and 2000ad with a whole bunch of UK Based Comic stuff)
https://twitter.com/2000AD/status/1494463990226903043

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
They deleted all my comics and the dumb redownload link they provide goes to an error page. I had my comixology and regular amazon account separate but it shows up on neither. Christ.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I was just saying the other day how much I loved Comxiology's reader, especially Guided View. It's how I read Watchmen ,Dark Knight Returns, and I was just getting into the Under the Red Hood TPB when I come back a few minutes ago to find....nothing. Absolutely nothing.

What the gently caress

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's very cool how when browsing the comics on sale everything appears to be in a random order instead of alphabetically, and you can't sort it alphabetically.

How are they so bad at this. That seems like a really basic function everyone would want.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Thill-suckers have no need for concepts such as 'what every customer wants' and 'honouring past purchase'

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
For them to flat out admit that they don’t have any plan for the basics like having a cart shows how serious they have taken this and how much we can expect going forward.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's really clear that Guided View and a captive audience were the only things Amazon considered valuable and also don't realise GV is largely talented people putting the work in to do bespoke experiences for each book.

Their half-hearted damage control email is also really hard to take seriously when it talks about improvements soon when they delayed this by like 6 months and apparently launched with zero improvements to the beta.

And even setting all that aside, yes, how is this internet based company so bad at UIs.

Say what you will about Google, but at least their poo poo looks like it was designed by people who actually use the services... usually.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 18, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is there a good alternative comic reader with anything close to Comxiology's guided view?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Most of them have something but it's usually basic 'zoom in on 4 quadrants' stuff or requires you or another reader to upload a configuration file for each book - which is pretty much GV but Comixology did the configuration for you and for publishers.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The app updated on my android tablet and it straight up won't load. Just gets stuck at the main screen and then my tablet freezes up. It's incredible how much of a disaster this is.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Srice posted:

The app updated on my android tablet and it straight up won't load. Just gets stuck at the main screen and then my tablet freezes up. It's incredible how much of a disaster this is.

Clear cache?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Chin Strap posted:

Clear cache?

I tried both that and restarting my tablet and no dice. Guess I'll completely reinstall the app to see if that fixes things though honestly that is gonna suck a lot since I have a ton of stuff downloaded and it'd take a lot of time to redownload everything.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
They just took out my iPad. 0 books available, 435.7 GB used on device.

Time to start my Legion of Super Heroes Chronology in YAC Reader.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It turns out that reinstalling the app did fix my problem, though unfortunately I had over 30 GB of stuff downloaded and it's gonna be a hassle to redownload it all.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

NikkolasKing posted:

Is there a good alternative comic reader with anything close to Comxiology's guided view?

If your library has any budget, you might luck into their Hoopla (has panel by panel view) or Comics Plus (supposed to add guided view someday as of mid-2021) subscription.

...didn't there used to be some ad-supported "everyone but DC and Marvel" free comics apps? Farrago is gone...

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Marvels gv is bad

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I heard things were bad about the "new" Comixology website for people outside the US (I'm in Australia), so I wanted to see just how bad it was for myself.

Got redirected to Amazon as expected, things look a little off. Let's see what's in New Releases this week?

Stranger and stranger. Maybe just thumbnails aren't linked properly for the "featured releases"? So if I click on "See more"...

gently caress you, Amazon.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
You'd think a company as bloodsucking and money driven as Amazon wouldn't just throw money away like this, but here we are.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

You'd think a company as bloodsucking and money driven as Amazon wouldn't just throw money away like this, but here we are.

You've obviously never used Prime Video.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Srice posted:

It turns out that reinstalling the app did fix my problem, though unfortunately I had over 30 GB of stuff downloaded and it's gonna be a hassle to redownload it all.

if it makes you feel better. I didn’t have to reinstall the app and I still have to redownload everything.

Unfortunately, I don’t see the super helpful smart list of “poo poo I’m reading” anymore, so this will be a pain in the rear end figuring out what I want to download.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Looks like amazon saw what happened to marvel unlimited and decided they could do worse

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

vkeios posted:

if it makes you feel better. I didn’t have to reinstall the app and I still have to redownload everything.

Unfortunately, I don’t see the super helpful smart list of “poo poo I’m reading” anymore, so this will be a pain in the rear end figuring out what I want to download.

You can filter by Read/Unread at the top. Of course, mine was screwed up so I had to go manually tag a bunch of books as read

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If you're sorting by series, it only counts the series as 'read' if you've literally 'read' every single issue/collection.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

If you're sorting by series, it only counts the series as 'read' if you've literally 'read' every single issue/collection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoA63WunEJ0

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
That thumbnail at the bottom can gently caress right off.

And no way of telling if I’ve downloaded a series or not.

Terrible grouping of some books that has them scattered.

So many annoyances.

Edit: Sandman fills up 75 slots because they can’t group it

hadji murad fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Feb 19, 2022

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just checked, IDW seems to be completely walled up DRM Wise for the forseable.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
No idea what they were thinking off, the interface just seems like a massive setback and as a causal reader, I dont see exactly how it will encourage me to buy anything when it seems so user unfriendly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I love getting an individual email for every subscription that's coming up next week, but without the email actually telling me what the preorder is.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
sounds like this is hitting creators hard too, unsurprisingly

https://twitter.com/JimZub/status/1495051330154602498?t=_KB1dkgEwtLGCNTpXx4Pdg&s=19

https://twitter.com/gregpak/status/1495071370153271305?t=nCkT_KaAXs7T3JCmpslVCg&s=19

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Something that some folks have discovered is that the Comixology-based DC and Marvel apps are still working as they used to (on Android at least).

While the Marvel one is still available, the DC one isn't on the Play store anymore, but if you have ever downloaded it on your account in the past you should be able to find it and re-install it from your app library.

Edit: Looks like Amazon caught up. There's now a "this app is going away" popup in the DC app, like the one that appeared in the official Comixology app leading up to the forced merge with Kindle.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 20, 2022

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The gators and the thoughtless just saying "just go to your LCS!" ignoring all the reasons why that wasnt feasible kinda throws all the progress I thought we made here out the window.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
they could have at least not forced the update. it feels lazily malicious. thanks for the functional lobotomy Amazon.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cheap Trick posted:

I heard things were bad about the "new" Comixology website for people outside the US (I'm in Australia), so I wanted to see just how bad it was for myself.

Got redirected to Amazon as expected, things look a little off. Let's see what's in New Releases this week?

Stranger and stranger. Maybe just thumbnails aren't linked properly for the "featured releases"? So if I click on "See more"...

gently caress you, Amazon.
Same in Canada. They made it impossible to purchase anything, even if I could find it.
Great job.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

The new app is somehow worse on an Amazon Fire tablet than an iPad—on my Fire, I can't read in landscape orientation, even if I lock rotation

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I put the Android update of Comixology through its paces: discoverability sucks, filtering my library... exists, reading experience itself is actually pretty good. Guided View has stuck around, manga has gained two-page mode (it's new to my Android 8.0 tablet at least), and I appreciate the "start reading while download is in progress" mode for larger trades/omnibus editions. If this was Comixology's initial large-scale debut, I would say it's an alright starting place, but coming from the industry leader with the backing of the third-largest market share company in the world... what a let down.

Everything about the website experience got worse, obviously. And keep in mind, this is what they came up with after delaying the move back in 2021!

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 20, 2022

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Space Fish posted:

I put the Android update of Comixology through its paces: discoverability sucks, filtering my library... exists, reading experience itself is actually pretty good. Guided View has stuck around, manga has gained two-page mode (it's new to my Android 8.0 tablet at least), and I appreciate the "start reading while download is in progress" mode for larger trades/omnibus editions. If this was Comixology's initial large-scale debut, I would say it's an alright starting place, but coming from the industry leader with the backing of the third-largest market share company in the world... what a let down.

Everything about the website experience got worse, obviously. And keep in mind, this is what they came up with after delaying the move back in 2021!

Now download the Kindle app. And open one of them without looking at the icon you tapped, and tell me which one you opened.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Was reading while downloading not a thing on Android? You've been able to do it on iOS for as long as I can remember.

Hell, two page mode for manga has been there for a long time, too.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Gaz-L posted:

Now download the Kindle app. And open one of them without looking at the icon you tapped, and tell me which one you opened.

Comixology being consumed by the leviathan to the point that its product and the serpent's are indistinguishable sucks a whole bunch, I agree!

Endless Mike posted:

Was reading while downloading not a thing on Android? You've been able to do it on iOS for as long as I can remember.

Hell, two page mode for manga has been there for a long time, too.

Turning my tablet sideways while reading manga on Comixology's Android app used to result in a shrunken version of the one-page view. Shonen Jump and Kobo's apps handled wide/two-page manga mode just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Huh, weird. Never had a problem on my iPad.