Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Elviscat posted:

I'm out west of Seattle, I guess I shouldn't be paranoid since my 2017 with the notoriously poo poo 40kWh battery is still at like 89% health per Leafspy at 4 years and 40kmi. I'll test drive them both at least.

Yeah where we live (and in California) there is plenty of CHAdeMO. As you can tell the battery is still (mostly) fine. The newer 40kWh batteries and especially the 62 are even better than your 2017 and have shown very minimal degradation respectively. So honestly I think you're kind of the perfect use case to get a Leaf over a Bolt - especially with the incentives.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Pretty sure thats the second fastest car ever in AI. Post pics pls

Surely one of us middle class + dads has more money than sense to get a Model S Plaid. Right?

Kirios fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bird with big dick posted:

What was their trap speed?

I looked and it just looks like they measure 0-60 only :P

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Aino Minako posted:

In case anyone is curious, my average energy usage over the 3 years of driving the Model 3 in the northeastern U.S. was 288 Wh/mi. This was almost entirely city driving with seasonally winter tires or all-seasons.

That’s essentially identical to my RWD LR in SoFla on Pilot Sport 4S’ year round (so no winter, but more aggressive tires.) I was down around ~265wh/mi on the factory Contisilents, but they were abhorrently bad tires.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

The auto wipers have been pretty fine for me too. Occasionally they’re a little too enthusiastic but never the other way around

I just realized they haven't pissed me off in months. Maybe a software update improved how they work.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
So given how messed up the market is right now, is there even any hope at all at haggling when you're at a dealership for getting a new EV? I'm probably going to want to get a EV6 after trying it. And do I just take the price that they're offering me? Is there any wiggle room whatsoever? Usually right now I'm not a good haggler in the most seller friendly car market time so I'm definitely not going to be able to squeeze anything extraordinary out of a situation where that isn't expected.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cruft posted:

I just realized they haven't pissed me off in months. Maybe a software update improved how they work.

They annoy me mildly. Wispy thin sleet or light drizzle doesn't trigger them, although some people say that RainX-ing the camera area helps. Perhaps it makes bigger beads? It also struggles with tunnels, either not wiping when it should or wiping when it shouldn't. So I find I'm using the touch screen quite a bit, which is not good. Although single presses on the stalk go a long way. I'm going to ask Elon to make left/right on the left scroll wheel be configurable to stepping through wiper controls, the challenge is how to wrap it in something sufficiently attention grabbing.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Chin Strap posted:

So given how messed up the market is right now, is there even any hope at all at haggling when you're at a dealership for getting a new EV? I'm probably going to want to get a EV6 after trying it. And do I just take the price that they're offering me? Is there any wiggle room whatsoever? Usually right now I'm not a good haggler in the most seller friendly car market time so I'm definitely not going to be able to squeeze anything extraordinary out of a situation where that isn't expected.

I suppose it somewhat depends on the area market. I’m in SW Michigan and while there are a fair number of EVs around here, it’s not some big metro area. I got my car last month for 4k under MSRP. Having a trade in helped.

e: I’m not much of a haggler either. I just told them what my basic conditions were before signing.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Chin Strap posted:

It really depends on the particular car and participate dealership. There are some here asking 25,000 ADM on stuff and I guarantee they’ll come down off that but if it’s a hot car and a 3-5k ADM then maybe they won’t. Always worth a try though.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Ola posted:

I'm going to ask Elon to make left/right on the left scroll wheel be configurable to stepping through wiper controls, the challenge is how to wrap it in something sufficiently attention grabbing.

Compare the lack of such functions to Hitler via meme, that should do the trick.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Chin Strap posted:

Haggling isn’t difficult but it does require you to a) have a price in mind that is the maximum you’re willing to pay and b) be willing to walk away if they won’t come down below your maximum price.

Pick some price you’d be happy to get the car at and offer to buy it right now at that price. If they accept, great! If they counter and it’s less than your maximum price then great! If they counter and it’s more than your maximum price then let them know that unfortunately you can’t spend that much and you’re going to have to expand your search to other dealers in the area. Often they will stop you and change their offer. Sometimes they won’t. But if you’re not prepared to walk away you have no leverage.

If you have a trade in get some offers from Carmax, Carvana, etc and make sure they will at least meet the maximum offer. Be prepared to say no to any dealer extras.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Ok well dealer 40 mins away has an EV6 to test drive. Going over this afternoon with my wife. This whole campaign to convince her was quicker than anticipated lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Chin Strap posted:

Ok well dealer 40 mins away has an EV6 to test drive. Going over this afternoon with my wife. This whole campaign to convince her was quicker than anticipated lol

Have you picked a nice dinner spot to smoothtalk things over on the trip back home yet?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Ok Comboomer posted:

Have you picked a nice dinner spot to smoothtalk things over on the trip back home yet?

It's called House of 1000 Beers. So yeah.

Definitely won't be bringing it home today as our other car is still at mechanics until transmission hoses come in. And I won't be getting this until that is sold or I am trading it in

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Just checked all 5 Kia dealerships within an hour of me for the EV6. Only 2 dealers had them, and all of them had at least a $10k ADM haha nice.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
The GT line EV6s are pretty plentiful relatively nearby here and I can find many without much if at all of a dealer markup like maybe $1,000 at most. So yeah, I don't see a reason to pay a huge market adjustment for that right now.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Chin Strap posted:

The GT line EV6s are pretty plentiful relatively nearby here and I can find many without much if at all of a dealer markup like maybe $1,000 at most. So yeah, I don't see a reason to pay a huge market adjustment for that right now.

Yeah, I was just curious. If I were serious, I'd just pay to have the car delivered to me.

Yesterday was the 4th wave of F-150 Lightning invites, and I still haven't been invited to order. It's beginning to look like I'll get a 2023 model.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Chin Strap posted:

I paid 3K over MSRP for mine. We wanted a specific color, so didn't have as many options. Dealer #1 was 7K over MSRP, Dealer #2 claimed MSRP over the phone but refused a test drive and wanted bids starting at $15K over MSRP (Delusional). Dealer #3 was 3k over and reasonable to deal with, so we took it.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
With the EV6 what is the first edition even have different? I've seen some dealers having some first editions in stock and wanting an extra 4 to 5 grand for it over the GT line.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Citizen Z posted:

refused a test drive

What’s up with that?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

With the EV6 what is the first edition even have different? I've seen some dealers having some first editions in stock and wanting an extra 4 to 5 grand for it over the GT line.

Upholstery colors, right?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ok Comboomer posted:

Upholstery colors, right?

And exterior colors, the most notable being the yellow one, which they haven't produced any of yet. There's probably some interior badging or something too IDK

Edit: whatever this means, and some gloss black exterior stuff, and all the available options basically
"Geonic crashpad and center console lid"

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 18, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

President Beep posted:

What’s up with that?

It's effort they don't think they need to spend. I had a Toyota salesman cancel a test drive on me because I told him I'd been comparing prices with other dealerships.

gently caress dealers.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Charles posted:

And exterior colors, the most notable being the yellow one, which they haven't produced any of yet. There's probably some interior badging or something too IDK

Edit: whatever this means, and some gloss black exterior stuff, and all the available options basically
"Geonic crashpad and center console lid"

Meh yeah. Not worth it. I already am cringing in wanting the gt line in the first place but at least actual features come with that.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
So like should I feel lucky enough to just not get any market adjustment on one? Like if I manage MSRP that's good enough of a deal in this market?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

Meh yeah. Not worth it. I already am cringing in wanting the gt line in the first place but at least actual features come with that.

Agreed. Much better to wait until 2023 when the real full-fat GT model is supposed to come out

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Ok Comboomer posted:

Agreed. Much better to wait until 2023 when the real full-fat GT model is supposed to come out

The difference there is just beefier motor right?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
12v battery warnings popped up yesterday in my Model 3, two years from the day I bought it. Mobile ranger was unavailable due to weather here so I brought it into the service center, they swapped it out with a new one. I don't understand how they kill these things so quickly, I can't remember ever getting less than four years from them in the past. Test drove a Model Y (again) while waiting, love the space but still don't care for the ride.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

So like should I feel lucky enough to just not get any market adjustment on one? Like if I manage MSRP that's good enough of a deal in this market?

My hot take: yeah, probably.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

The difference there is just beefier motor right?

if it’s anything like what other companies do with their RS/ST/ST-line, R/Si, M/M-sport, AMG/AMG-sport, etc distinctions and the way Hyundai currently splits its lineup with N/N-line/etc, then it’ll probably have beefed up suspension/brakes/aero/bodykit as well.

IDK what’s been confirmed about the GT EV6, but generally midrange “sport-line” cars are more similar to their base model brethren than they are to the “real” sport trims. BMW is the only big exception in that regard, where stuff like the M240i manages to perfectly straddle the line between the regular 2 and the M2. But your average “sport line” car is little more than a badge upgrade, and it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s how the GT line ends up stacking up against the GT when it comes out.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

You opening a funeral service for that hearse?

Nah. A hearse is taller, and a couple feet longer.
An electric hearse would be great, though, with the near silent operation. Seems more respectful.

priznat posted:

Oh that’s neat. I hope car manufacturers do that too especially with some adding wifi hot spots it seems like a fairly reasonable thing to add. My understanding of carplay/aa is it’s just like a screen share and everything is done on the phone so Bluetooth would really struggle. So far only the Fords seem to do it wiressly per this thread!

Sort of. The phone provides the processing, and mobile connection, but the display is somewhat unique to the head unit. But, yeah, quite a bit of data moving, and it needs to be fairly quick for stuff like nav.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Ok Comboomer posted:

if it’s anything like what other companies do with their RS/ST/ST-line, R/Si, M/M-sport, AMG/AMG-sport, etc distinctions and the way Hyundai currently splits its lineup with N/N-line/etc, then it’ll probably have beefed up suspension/brakes/aero/bodykit as well.

IDK what’s been confirmed about the GT EV6, but generally midrange “sport-line” cars are more similar to their base model brethren than they are to the “real” sport trims. BMW is the only big exception in that regard, where stuff like the M240i manages to perfectly straddle the line between the regular 2 and the M2. But your average “sport line” car is little more than a badge upgrade, and it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s how the GT line ends up stacking up against the GT when it comes out.
Yeah, the EV6 Wind trim is exactly the same as the GT-Line as far as performance. The only thing that matters is the AWD comes with another motor, which you can get in either trim. The EV6 has one more lower trim that is RWD only, but I don't think it is out anywhere as far as I can tell. In fact, I haven't even seen a RWD one for sale.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Does the EV6 have auto brights or is that still illegal in the states? Thought I read that is a feature we can have now.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Chin Strap posted:

Sample size of 1 here and a totally different make/model, but the dealer I'm buying the Audi from initially quoted me +$20k markup (phone conversation, dealer is a couple hours away). I told them I was willing to pay MSRP plus TTL. They came back with $15k markup. I told him I was willing to pay MSRP plus TTL. Repeat for 3 more calls and I signed docs paying MSRP plus TTL - complete with annoying "Congratulations man!" line - yes, congrats to me that I get to buy a car from you.

If you don't need a car right away and can afford to call around to dealers that have inventory, I highly suggest deciding on a price that seems fair and sticking to it. In this environment for an in-demand vehicle like the EV6 paying MSRP seems pretty reasonable to me, but not every dealer may see it that way. Just don't let yourself be bullied and remember your best move is to walk - if you send clear buying signals (indicate you are ready to purchase if they meet your price) and they let you walk, then you can feel pretty good they're offering their best price. Also, standard advice to get a preapproval from a local credit union is very important so they can't bamboozle you by screwing around with the financing - the dealer was offering me like 3.5% but I've got 1.24% @ 60 months from my credit union thanks to their EV rate discount.

You may also want to let a couple of dealers with inventory available or on the way soon know that you're interested in buying at sticker and let that marinate for a week or two - they may be more interested once their monthly goals come into clearer picture and they may be more inclined to close deals that were otherwise not palatable earlier in the month.

Replace references to MSRP above with whatever price you're comfortable with - it's probably not out of line to ask for a few hundred off sticker, but it's unlikely you'll do much better than that in this market.

NJ Deac fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 18, 2022

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Thanks for the post! What does TTL mean?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Chin Strap posted:

Does the EV6 have auto brights or is that still illegal in the states? Thought I read that is a feature we can have now.

This just got changed this week, so I would expect it to trickle in over the next few months

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Chin Strap posted:

Thanks for the post! What does TTL mean?

Tax, title, and license - the mandatory DMV/government stuff, plus in NY state there's also a $175 document fee that you can't really avoid (state statute lets dealers charge up to $175 for documentation fees so they all charge the max) - your milage may vary in your state (Florida apparently allows some truly crazy fees, for instance, but everything is negotiable). Anything else is just additional profit the dealers are trying to hide and it doesn't really matter whether they stick it on the price of the car or try to hide as "administration", "preparation", or god knows what other made up fees.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Chin Strap posted:

Auto bright lights are legal, it's the changing beam patterns that were not. I guess Euro-spec GT-Line have LED matrix, no idea if that'll be part of our models and just disabled, or they manufactured a different part (we have different beam pattern regulations anyway).

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Matrix headlights are really good. It's a travesty they're not allowed in the US.

It's really useful effectively being on full beam continuously on mountain roads.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

Matrix headlights are really good. It's a travesty they're not allowed in the US.

It's really useful effectively being on full beam continuously on mountain roads.

I believe NHTSA just issued a new rule for comment this week that will allow matrix headlights sometime in the next few months. My understanding is that most of the newer model Audis and Polestars (and probably a bunch of other luxury makes) already have the hardware so turning them on will just be a matter of a software fix that will no doubt require a week in the shop and/or an exorbitant subscription, but who knows - maybe they'll give it away for free!

Link: https://www.motor1.com/news/567740/adaptive-headlights-nhtsa-approval/

NJ Deac fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Chin Strap posted:

It does have auto brights, not the fancy matrix stuff, but you can set the option for auto high beams depending on detecting other lights, yeah.