Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Infinite Karma posted:

Since you have the ability to side with a faction and destroy the other factions, they should have given you the ability to take out all the factions since they all suck.

They do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Tyranny is a good game where all the factions are bad but not necessarily all the people and you can choose how you want to navigate the world. It is a bit depressing though.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Tyranny lets you join the good guys rebel faction, though leaves it up to you if you draft them for the evil empire or actually embrace the rebellion.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Avalerion posted:

Tyranny lets you join the good guys rebel faction, though leaves it up to you if you draft them for the evil empire or actually embrace the rebellion.
It didn't let me join them for whatever reason and then later the game forced me to slaughter a bunch of baby werepups.

Everything uhhhh worked out in the end though...

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Avalerion posted:

Joining the good guy rebel faction and actively fighting against the oppression and cruelty of the generals from the evil empire, while simultaneously constantly clarifying that you are a loyal servant of the evil empire and you just want to replace the obviously traitorous and inept evil empire generals with the more competent rebel leaders is by far the most entertaining way to play the game. It has also shocking amount of reactivity in the story, although most of it is various characters doing some variation of the psyduck emote when you explain your position to them. :v:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Joe Man posted:

It didn't let me join them for whatever reason and then later the game forced me to slaughter a bunch of baby werepups.

Everything uhhhh worked out in the end though...

Joining the rebels is kind of a hidden option and you might need a walkthrough to get the steps in the right order.

You can also say gently caress off to everybody and betray the faction you're aligned with. I can't really recommend it unless you want to try and see how much xp can be accumulated in a single playthrough.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
No need to explain your stance in Tyranny. Just glare at them silently until they shut up ಠ_ಠ

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

She is also powered by her anger at being a bird, particularly towards her God, who is also a bird.

That bird god summoned a flock of seagulls to poo poo all over my deck :mad:

The poo poo-covered hull became an item I could equip.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Infinite Karma posted:

Usually there's also an axis of evil + selfish vs. good + selfless. In Deadfire's case, there's not much in the way of selfishness, you don't get to influence events on a moral axis, you just pick from a menu of evil options, or else the story doesn't progress.

Since you have the ability to side with a faction and destroy the other factions, they should have given you the ability to take out all the factions since they all suck.

You totally can. In my playthrough I told the factions to gently caress off and I went to the ending on my own. Except the pirates - I walked into their HQ and just slaughtered them all. Which the game is totally fine with. They've got a slave market literally right inside the main gate - what did they expect would happen?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Why, in Total War Warhammer, are there random bands of Khorne dudes on the campaign map that are following me around but not attacking me and I can't attack them?

I right click on them with my Lord and he just goes, "Nope" and nothing happens.

Also lol wtf, I failed the last battle of the Prologue. All of my dudes died except for the Greater Demon / Demon Prince thing who ran around cleaning up as many of the stragglers as he could, wasn't even close to death and I was very much winning. 30 minutes left on the clock and the game just goes, "You failed!" and now I've spent the last 90 minutes rebuilding my whole rear end army...

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 18, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Pwnstar posted:

Pallegina is the person at the office believes if she works hard enough and never takes vacation days her boss will notice and give her a raise. She also gains immense magical power from the force of this belief.

i wish i got magical power from that belief :smith:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Haven't played PoE2 yet, but in the first one, I remember Pallegina appeared late enough in the story that by then I had a team that worked and couldn't be bothered. Same with most companions in fact. Eder, Aloth, Kana, Durance and Sagani all appeared earlier and made for a well-rounded party, so, meh. Too much effort cycling people out, re-gearing someone from peasant to here, and learning the various skills/synergies of the new class.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

also i cannot believe NMS is still getting updates :psypop:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

also i cannot believe NMS is still getting updates :psypop:

Sean Murray must atone for his crimes against video games

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really want to like those D&D-based and D&D-inspired RPGs but they're always such a loving chore.
Make sure to have your buffs up before every single encounter. Constantly manage gear and consumables. Every interesting ability your characters have are also a consumable so either rest constantly, which adds even more boring management into the game, or just save the interesting abilities and have characters just roll dice at each other until the enemies fall over.

It feels like for every minute spent in battle there are two minutes of fun-tax that you gonna spend managing all of your perishable resources. No thanks, if I wanted to do that I'd play EVE Online.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jack Trades posted:

I really want to like those D&D-based and D&D-inspired RPGs but they're always such a loving chore.
Make sure to have your buffs up before every single encounter. Constantly manage gear and consumables. Every interesting ability your characters have are also a consumable so either rest constantly, which adds even more boring management into the game, or just save the interesting abilities and have characters just roll dice at each other until the enemies fall over.

It feels like for every minute spent in battle there are two minutes of fun-tax that you gonna spend managing all of your perishable resources. No thanks, if I wanted to do that I'd play EVE Online.
You might like PoE2 then, since almost all abilities are per-encounter instead of per-rest.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Volte posted:

You might like PoE2 then, since almost all abilities are per-encounter instead of per-rest.

Oh really? Maybe I should check it out then.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Is Divinity a "D&D Inspired RPG"? I would consider it one, but it's not really like your description IMO

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

Oh really? Maybe I should check it out then.

It's quite streamlined and worth a try. It's currently $8 at Green Man Gaming.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Is Divinity a "D&D Inspired RPG"? I would consider it one, but it's not really like your description IMO

I loved Divinity Original Sin, especially 2, mainly because they didn't do any of that.
Every ability in that game is extremely impactful, so you're never just doing boring auto-attacks, but they're also not "consumable" so you can go ham and actually use all of your best abilities in every encounter without rest management.
The best part of those games thought is that it's systems are fairly intuitive but also there are so many variables, often too many to account for fully, that it's almost impossible to play the game optimally which means that it never gets repetitive.

Original Sin 2 has easily the best turn-based RPG combat I've ever played.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ragequit posted:

How lost am I going to be without having finished PoE1?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

How lost am I going to be without having finished PoE1?

You should be just fine. The intro gives you a high level overview of the previous game and you can pick how you would have handled yourself. Selecting each of these 6 options gives a breakdown (you were kind and benevolent to everyone, you hosed absolutely everything up, you handled all of the souls a certain way, etc.):

Important words in the text are a different color and if you mouse over it gives you more detail. It's is a very handy feature I wish more games took advantage of.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

You’ll be fine. There’s some catch-up story stuff before the game starts, so premade save states (or you can create your own by choosing decisions from the first game) and lots of contextual tool-tips in game explaining what all the Nouns mean and sometimes how they related to game 1.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

Why, in Total War Warhammer, are there random bands of Khorne dudes on the campaign map that are following me around but not attacking me and I can't attack them?

I right click on them with my Lord and he just goes, "Nope" and nothing happens.

I'm guessing those Khorne dudes are Heroes, which are singular characters who can interact with Lords (armies) but Lords can't interact with them. The AI tends to just follow your armies around with their Heroes without actually using them.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Ragequit posted:

Also on Gamepass.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
lol there's an xbox utility for configuring and updating your controller on pc, and it also lets you check your battery level.

except that to access that page you need to plug in your controller, at which point the battery info tells you that it's plugged in instead.

(if you actually want to check your battery level, the game bar works. Win+G to bring it up)

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
One time I wanted to see my battery level so I read you had to use the app to update the firmware and it bricked my controller and MS would not replace it, or I could not figure out how to get it replaced after calling and talking to everty department. Luckily Best Buy replaced it out of warranty which was nice.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

HenryEx posted:

No need to explain your stance in Tyranny. Just glare at them silently until they shut up ಠ_ಠ

No you want to so you can rules lawyer the hell out of the ending. It's great.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Parallelwoody posted:

No you want to so you can rules lawyer the hell out of the ending. It's great.

Tunon's reaction while/after giving the verdict is priceless.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Tyranny is such a cool game and world. I know it’ll never happen but I really hope Paradox does something with that one day. They want to get into RPGs, have Harebrained make something with Tyranny!

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

To the person asking about racing games/Forza, I'd like to throw out a recommendation for NFS Heat. The story is still dumb but still less annoying than the Forza Horizon games. Its a really good looking game, and I thought the driving mechanics were really good.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

FishMcCool posted:

Tunon's reaction while/after giving the verdict is priceless.

He wants to subscribe to your newsletter.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Anyone played Black Book? I've never heard of it but it's on sale, marked as similar to StS / Monster Train and seems very well received.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Sloppy posted:

Anyone played Black Book? I've never heard of it but it's on sale, marked as similar to StS / Monster Train and seems very well received.

I’ve played a few hours of it a while ago and have been planning to play more but time.

It excels in its setting and mythology. There are frequent opportunities for bonus experience points in the form of knowledge checks through each mission which you’re able to reference your codex during. Combat is pretty standard as far as card battlers go, but you are able to craft any card you’ve found as a loot drop and are encouraged to build multiple decks. There’s also a sin management aspect to the game which I haven’t dipped my toes into too much due to the lack of time I’ve put into the game but from tooltips it affects things like mass effect - you are only able to perform some choice actions if your ‘alignment’ is good/bad and it also directs you towards a specific game ending.

I like it and do plan to finish it sometime, but Elden Ring comes out in a week so it’s backburnered for now.

Pelican Dunderhead fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 18, 2022

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Something tells me these are not supposed to look like this.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the checkers should be black & red with screaming skulls coming out

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Something tells me these are not supposed to look like this.

There's a few places in Darksiders 3 without textures, mostly in that warehouse/swamp area.

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.

Sloppy posted:

It's in the current Humble Choice as well.

https://www.humblebundle.com/membership/home?hmb_source=navbar

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The new WWI flc for Holdfast is fun in a kinda silly arcadish way. Hopefully people will eventually still play the napoleonic mode though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Coming up to the end of FFX I am strongly of the opinion that it is not a good game and in anything is a great representation of the ridiculous bloat that jrpgs became known for.

It's got that historical curiosity going for it, and thank god the remastered versions come with the hotkey cheats, because gently caress playing this for 50+hrs when most of the time it's grinding out battles to steal items so you can craft that specific protection you need for 1 boss battle.