Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
"Everyone" is kinda overstating it. As depopulated as Donbass is, it would take thousands of buses to actually evacuate everyone.
e.g. figure 50 people per bus --- 100,000 people would need 2000 buses. And there is a lot more than 100,000 there, though I don't know accurate numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
It doesn't really matter how many people are leaving. Putin isn't going to destroy these cities anyway. He just wants some footage of civilians fleeing the region to Russia.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

"Everyone" is kinda overstating it. As depopulated as Donbass is, it would take thousands of buses to actually evacuate everyone.
e.g. figure 50 people per bus --- 100,000 people would need 2000 buses. And there is a lot more than 100,000 there, though I don't know accurate numbers.

I don’t think anyone has accurate numbers. Most recent estimates I’ve heard were ~2.5 million in DNR and ~1.5 million in LNR.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Alchenar posted:

Remarkable efficient government there to have an evactuation plan to move literally everyone to another country just sitting on the shelf there ready to be activated at a few hours notice.

Apparently Rostov's leadership had no idea this was happening, so there are no evacuation centers set up to accommodate these people when they reach Russia.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Apparently Rostov's leadership had no idea this was happening, so there are no evacuation centers set up to accommodate these people when they reach Russia.

It's not like caring about wellbeing of people was ever a priority on Putin's mind or he would stop stuff like artillery shelling of civilian centers or shooting down planes.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Thats a shame, it seems like Russia has no choice except to establish safezones in Ukraine so these people can return home

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

how fortunate that ukrainian soldiers recorded themselves committing an overt act of aggression and they magically dropped the helmet camera with the incriminating footage for enemy forces to find

they've been so desperate to avoid giving russia any reason to invade and now russia has a reason to invade

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/MollyMcKew/status/1494673280237768704?s=20&t=fJvi5dZlF3EuRgwVrJv6jA

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Mr. Sunshine posted:

If you take a step back, this entire thing is so loving dumb. Russia has beef with NATO and the EU, so they're threatening to...invade Ukraine? just fucken lol it's so petty and childish.

I mean sure, I get it, Putin wants to look big and strong and needs some semi-believable cause he can sell to the russian population of why they're invading Ukraine but come on! The collective response from the EU/NATO should absolutely be "gently caress you you loving lunatic".

That's not how it's sold/spun IN Russia. Putin himself might be anti EU-fication, however for Russians NATO=U.S. Vast majority of Russians don't have any beef with EU. The conflict is strictly positioned as getting U.S. and its influence and "forces" out of Ukraine (with the message that the U.S. is of course planning to target Russia next). This is why U.S. deciding to get involved yet again directly is making things worse and exactly what Putin wanted. It would be better if Biden didn't feel the need to make any statements at all, making it look like every single political decision around the world must be blessed by U.S. first. European countries are in NATO too and should have all the focus on them, they should be leading whatever policy is needed here.

2014 was spun as U.S. trying to come into Ukraine to install a puppet government, so it's easy to keep following up on that message again, as long as U.S. does not let European countries lead all the efforts on aid, weapons, and sanctions.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 18, 2022

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Something tells me the evacuation part was improvised by Pushilin without sign off by Russia. He was clearly tasked to mirror American and EU reaction to a possible impending invasion of Ukraine with evacuating diplomats, etc., but went too far.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Bold of you to assume they are ever meant to reach Russia.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

A literal paid propagandist for one of the parties of the conflict. Definitely who you should be taking your cues from.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rad Russian posted:

That's not how it's sold/spun IN Russia. Putin himself might be anti EU-fication, however for Russians NATO=U.S. Vast majority of Russians don't have any beef with EU. The conflict is strictly positioned as getting U.S. and its influence and "forces" out of Ukraine (with the message that the U.S. is of course planning to target Russia next). This is why U.S. deciding to get involved yet again directly is making things worse and exactly what Putin wanted. It would be better if Biden didn't feel the need to make any statements at all, making it look like every single political decision around the world must be blessed by U.S. first. European countries are in NATO too and should have all the focus on them, they should be leading whatever policy is needed here.

I'd argue: Russia/Putin framed it this way exactly. They don't want to negotiate with the the EU or even European NATO countries. They want to negotiate with the US. That's the problem. Putin is framing it this way on purpose. And its a non-starter. Especially given that out of all these NATO countries, Russia has a history of post-justification of aggressive military actions against its neighbors, NATO does not.

Zedhe Khoja posted:

A literal paid propagandist for one of the parties of the conflict. Definitely who you should be taking your cues from.

No, that's literally history. You are are arguing against recorded history and calling it propaganda. The source? Maybe. But the actual contents of what they are saying are true.

quote:

Nikolay Pankov, the Russian deputy defence minister, had a confidential meeting with the separatist authorities in Tskhinvali on 3 August.[142] An evacuation of Ossetian women and children to Russia began on the same day.[113] According to researcher Andrey Illarionov, the South Ossetian separatists evacuated more than 20,000 civilians, which represented more than 90 percent of the civilian population of the future combat zone.[143] On 4 August, South Ossetian president Eduard Kokoity said that about 300 volunteers had arrived from North Ossetia to help fight the Georgians and thousands more were expected from the North Caucasus.[144] On 5 August, South Ossetian presidential envoy to Moscow, Dmitry Medoyev, declared that South Ossetia would start a "rail war" against Georgia.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 18, 2022

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Saladman posted:

Not to mention that the concept of a "buffer state" with modern technology is about as outdated as worrying about springtime mud.

The US invaded Afghanistan just fine despite it being landlocked and supplied only through neither a largely hostile state (Pakistan) or by air.

Also the US is never going to invade and try to conquer a nuclear state, so there’s also that the concept of Russia being openly invaded by American tanks has no chance of occurring, buffer or no.

Yea, that's fair. It seems really snide to refuse to let Ukraine into NATO or the EU when their own population democratically voted for such an action but to only deny because Russia won't like it?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
The woman you quoted was literally in the employ of Saakashvili at the time as a “narrative architect”.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zedhe Khoja posted:

The woman you quoted was literally in the employ of Saakashvili at the time as a “narrative architect”.

But is anything in that tweet a lie? Again, the source may be an issue, but the statement is not.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I know trying to talk to sense to an idiot who volunteered to be a paid butcher for government propaganda is a fools errand but I’d have been crucified by my professors if I’d ever used a source like that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zedhe Khoja posted:

I know trying to talk to sense to an idiot who volunteered to be a paid butcher for government propaganda is a fools errand but I’d have been crucified by my professors if I’d ever used a source like that.

But again: I'm not writing a peer reviewed paper here, I'm asking you if that statement is false? I cited historical info showing its not. Your problem is the source? Or do you have a problem with the statement as well?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Don’t sidestep the question. Were there civilian evacuations in the lead up to the Russian incursion in South Ossetia or not? As a poster educated by professors, I’m sure you’ll find it trivial to include a couple of independent, quality sources to back up your assertion.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
The tweets of a government propagandist is not “historical info”.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zedhe Khoja posted:

The tweets of a government propagandist is not “historical info”.

quote:

Nikolay Pankov, the Russian deputy defence minister, had a confidential meeting with the separatist authorities in Tskhinvali on 3 August.[142] An evacuation of Ossetian women and children to Russia began on the same day.[113] According to researcher Andrey Illarionov, the South Ossetian separatists evacuated more than 20,000 civilians, which represented more than 90 percent of the civilian population of the future combat zone.[143] On 4 August, South Ossetian president Eduard Kokoity said that about 300 volunteers had arrived from North Ossetia to help fight the Georgians and thousands more were expected from the North Caucasus.[144] On 5 August, South Ossetian presidential envoy to Moscow, Dmitry Medoyev, declared that South Ossetia would start a "rail war" against Georgia.

So who is your source? If you can demonstrate that this is false, I'm all ears. But given that Russia sure does seem to like doing military interventions against their neighbors, I don't think you have much a leg to stand on about "propaganda"

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 18, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

https://twitter.com/rianru/status/1494639696235925521?t=EzSvufkTtapczMGRZXBBbw&s=19

DNR reporting that Ukrainian special forces have tried to sabotage chlorine and ammonia tanks during the night and have been fought back and killed. I guess this where the gas comes in?

Good to know that all the video games of my childhood are accurate and eastern europe has barrels of toxic and flammable gas just scattered around everywhere waiting for someone to shoot them.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why is Putin hosting 'huge' nuclear drills?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Russian photo op of children being evacuated from Donetsk.

https://twitter.com/GazetaRu/status/1494696096878276622

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Because that's how demonstrations of power go. Again, there's no reason to believe Ukraine is going to turn into a nuclear exchange or a World War since both sides largely want to avoid that.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Paladinus posted:

Something tells me the evacuation part was improvised by Pushilin without sign off by Russia. He was clearly tasked to mirror American and EU reaction to a possible impending invasion of Ukraine with evacuating diplomats, etc., but went too far.

Yup.
https://twitter.com/ichbinilya/status/1494679371352789002?t=frTP9hhSPgU1r2AnYhpSfQ&s=19

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

BoldFace posted:

Russian photo op of children being evacuated from Donetsk.

https://twitter.com/GazetaRu/status/1494696096878276622

Orphans, no less.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Russia does actually do this pretty regularly. A bit of it is signalling but they really do care about testing nuclear readiness.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Russia does actually do this pretty regularly. A bit of it is signalling but they really do care about testing nuclear readiness.

They do them annually, but in September.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They do them annually, but in September.

That sounds really fuckin' expensive.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Speaking of taking stat propagandists at their words --- Peskov would claim that regardless of whether the order came from Russia or if it was someone "showing initiative".

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Orphans, no less.

If they aren't yet, that will be taken care of!

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1494705252645355524

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I never disputed any claims made, in particular the idea that Russia evacuated civilians prior to the attempted Georgian reconquest of Tskhinvali. Massive casualties is a subjective phrase especially considering the small size of the territory.
But Amnesty International wrote their own summary of Georgia’s behavior during the operation. You don’t need the mouthpiece of a criminal piece of poo poo declaring him to be TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY ABSOLVED.

quote:

The entry of Georgian ground forces into these villages, and into Tskhinvali itself, was preceded by several hours of shelling and rocket attacks as well as limited aerial bombardment. Much of the destruction in Tskhinvali was caused by GRADLAR MLRS (GRAD) launched rockets, which are known to be difficult to direct with any great precision. Eyewitness reports, the nature of the munitions used and the evidence of scattered destruction in densely populated civilian areas strongly suggest that Georgian forces committed indiscriminate attacks in its assault on Tskhinvali on the night of 7 August, causing deaths and injuries among South Ossetian civilians and considerable damage to civilian objects.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1494704648439144454

https://twitter.com/rianru/status/1494705082943873024
"A powerful explosion in the center of Donetsk, our correspondent reports"
"The explosion thundered a few tens of meters from the building of the government of the DPR"

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1494706047302443018

More explosions in Donetsk.

e:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1494707247020228610

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 18, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zedhe Khoja posted:

I never disputed any claims made, in particular the idea that Russia evacuated civilians prior to the attempted Georgian reconquest of Tskhinvali. Massive casualties is a subjective phrase especially considering the small size of the territory.
But Amnesty International wrote their own summary of Georgia’s behavior during the operation. You don’t need the mouthpiece of a criminal piece of poo poo declaring him to be TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY ABSOLVED.

Cool, so no actual dispute of the information presented. Moving on.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

CommieGIR posted:

Cool, so no actual dispute of the information presented. Moving on.

Your a loving grotesque.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Zedhe Khoja posted:

can you link that report?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
An explosion is being reported by pro-separatist media close to DNR's government building. Allegedly a bomb was detonated in a car in what appears to be an empty car park.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 18, 2022