Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I can't recommend anyone read Homestuck who missed it, but Problem Sleuth is absolutely worth reading. According to my 10-year-old memory of it, I guess. It contains a lot of the elements that were good in Homestuck -- wacky game-mechanic jokes gradually building on themselves into a ridiculous pile of unserious-but-spectacular theatrics and lore. All in a much, much shorter arc (it was produced entirely within a year), wrapped up satisfyingly enough. And no chatlogs. It used the "reader suggestions" gimmick the whole way through, though by the end there were so many suggestions that Hussie could essentially do whatever he wanted by choosing which to use (and that was probably a good thing at that point). I've been meaning to reread it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

nimby posted:

Am I in the minority for never having read Homestuck? The entire thing completely passed me by, don't think I'd even heard of it before it was done.

I read a smidge of Problem Sleuth when it was still going, but never made it past the first few pages of Homestuck

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

nimby posted:

Am I in the minority for never having read Homestuck? The entire thing completely passed me by, don't think I'd even heard of it before it was done.

I made an earnest attempt years before Flash went kaput, and also because a friend of mine recommended it to me, but I stopped really early on because it wasn't gripping me and knowing there was a ton ahead didn't help. Anything I happen to know about Homestuck is entirely through other things on the internet and promptly forgotten until the next time I see it again.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

It was the troll avatars all over the place on here that finally got me to read Homestuck. I wanted to know what the gently caress was up with this 'Vriska' I was seeing everywhere.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

nimby posted:

I never read it, despite being around people who talked about it constantly - although it's perhaps because of that, because it's invariably been my experience that very very few things can live up to the hype that fan-bases generate for it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mister Beeg posted:

I was familiar with it, and I did at least read most of "Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff", but otherwise I never paid attention to "Homestuck"

Same. By the time I really heard of it, it was too loving giant and it became one of those "I'll read that one of these days when I have time" sort of things. Then Flash shut down and apparently a lot of the whole archive was hosed up and then I was like "well I guess I don't have to worry about reading Homestuck any more :v:"

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

nimby posted:

I also never read it. I must have seen a bunch of troll avatars but never bothered to check where they were from because the art didn't grab me. Gunnerkrigg, on the other hand, that also is a thing that had a lot of avatars and I did get interested in it because of those.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I couldn't get into Problem Sleuth so when I saw he was starting a new comic, I wasn't very interested, lol. I appreciate I'm in the minority of Problem Sleuth dislikers though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I got in in the early days because I did a lot of CYOA stuff (writing it myself back in the days when that was super popular on forums) and I specifically did a CYOA animated comic (called Strike the Earth, it was based on Dwarf Fortress and I posted it to those forums) - and against that background it was impossible not to hear about MSPA and have people telling me to read it. Honestly, I liked Homestuck from pretty much beginning to end. The "new kids" was the worst part but even they ended up growing on me by the end. I am one of those people who unabashedly loved it all. I also never really got confused or anything about what was happening, and I enjoyed that the whole thing turned into a big metacommentary on fandom and the internet in general because I've always been a sucker for that stuff.

But mostly I love it because the MSPA forums became the home of all of the best CYOA stuff on the internet, and I mourn its death because since it died I have no idea where that stuff happens anymore, or even if it happens. It probably doesn't, and I loved that stuff.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

GlyphGryph posted:

But mostly I love it because the MSPA forums became the home of all of the best CYOA stuff on the internet, and I mourn its death because since it died I have no idea where that stuff happens anymore, or even if it happens. It probably doesn't, and I loved that stuff.

From what I've gathered that's just kind of the way of things now, everybody abandoned forums and individual websites for social media and it's hard to imagine a CYOA on Twitter. I've heard Sufficient Velocity still does them but I don't even know what that site's about or if it's a government psy-op or something

I've been doing my own since 2017 (Blood is Mine until 2019, MDA ongoing); it's no Homestuck but I try to gently caress around and experiment when I can (and it's kind of my job, at this point)

There's probably like a billion CYOA sites out there but without fat stacks of ad cash on hand they're basically invisible, I know at least a few people on my discord started up similar sites but struggled to get any kind of views. I was at least lucky enough to have started when Project Wonderful was still around, so I got a bit of a head start before the dark times began in earnest--I'd rather be waterboarded than try to build an audience from scratch now.

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 17, 2022

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
We do have a CYOA subforum here. It's not going to launch the next Homestuck but it does exist.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

GlyphGryph posted:

I got in in the early days because I did a lot of CYOA stuff (writing it myself back in the days when that was super popular on forums) and I specifically did a CYOA animated comic (called Strike the Earth, it was based on Dwarf Fortress and I posted it to those forums) - and against that background it was impossible not to hear about MSPA and have people telling me to read it. Honestly, I liked Homestuck from pretty much beginning to end. The "new kids" was the worst part but even they ended up growing on me by the end. I am one of those people who unabashedly loved it all. I also never really got confused or anything about what was happening, and I enjoyed that the whole thing turned into a big metacommentary on fandom and the internet in general because I've always been a sucker for that stuff.

After the forums went down, some of the fans started their own replacement forum, and there was always a fan adventure mirror site where you could see fan adventures in the format of the original Homestuck website. Last time I checked (mid-2021), there was still activity on that mirror site. Sadly, not everything from the old forums got mirrored in time, but it's better than nothing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Lunatic Sledge posted:

From what I've gathered that's just kind of the way of things now, everybody abandoned forums and individual websites for social media and it's hard to imagine a CYOA on Twitter. I've heard Sufficient Velocity still does them but I don't even know what that site's about or if it's a government psy-op or something

I've been doing my own since 2017 (Blood is Mine until 2019, MDA ongoing); it's no Homestuck but I try to gently caress around and experiment when I can (and it's kind of my job, at this point)

There's probably like a billion CYOA sites out there but without fat stacks of ad cash on hand they're basically invisible, I know at least a few people on my discord started up similar sites but struggled to get any kind of views. I was at least lucky enough to have started when Project Wonderful was still around, so I got a bit of a head start before the dark times began in earnest--I'd rather be waterboarded than try to build an audience from scratch now.

For what it's worth, I really enjoy your project. Your characters are kind of heartfelt and sweet. And the setting is quite extensive and interesting.
I just started reading that a year ago, when I randomly clicked the link in your avatar.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

We do have a CYOA subforum here. It's not going to launch the next Homestuck but it does exist.

Memento of Kali deserved to be the next Homestuck.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Memento of Kali deserved to be the next Homestuck.

Definitely, it does all sorts of metatextual shenanigans that give me a similar vibe (but personally I prefer the aesthetic and concept in Memento)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
nothing deserves to be the next homestuck

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

cant cook creole bream posted:

For what it's worth, I really enjoy your project. Your characters are kind of heartfelt and sweet. And the setting is quite extensive and interesting.
I just started reading that a year ago, when I randomly clicked the link in your avatar.

Thank you, I often wonder if the avatar change was worth it so this makes me feel better lol

I have a pretty good reader retention rate and reader-to-patreon ratio, my biggest obstacle is seriously just getting people to try it in the first place

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Girl Genius did the kind of twist that I least expected.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

SlothfulCobra posted:

Girl Genius did the kind of twist that I least expected.

The comic was random coloring of mold on a piece of cheese all along? I'd be pretty surprised by that twist.´
Honestly, don't tell me the real answer, I prefer my idea.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 19, 2022

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Perfect Tides, the new video game by Meredith Gran, the creator of Octopus Pie, is out today.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
What I'd like to read is Hussie's Silmarillion

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I haven't actually read the Silmarillion.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i call it the 'silly million'

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Farg posted:

i call it the 'silly million'

The silly minon?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Things are actually actually finally coming to a head in Vattu.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
The violence of the imperial periphery? In MY metropole?

It could happen to you!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm a weirdo who holds out for the printed versions of all of Evan Dahm's stuff, so as Vattu ends be sensitive about spoilers (or warn me if I should just stay out of this thread for a while and come back a week or two after the last update, no biggie)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

An interesting and still on-going thread about reading 20 years of Sinfest.

https://twitter.com/bitterkarella/status/1498104642881798149

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Not to disrespect their efforts but that sounds like a very, very bad idea.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
They're just engaging in the time honored tradition of That Other Webcomics Thread, the brain damage will probably be minimal

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Not to disrespect their efforts but that sounds like a very, very bad idea.

We follow him weekly over in Polititoons and however unhinged you think he is, he's probably worse.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Neito posted:

We follow him weekly over in Polititoons and however unhinged you think he is, he's probably worse.
The reader on Twitter or the creator of Sinfest?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Hostile V posted:

The reader on Twitter or the creator of Sinfest?

The Sinfest creator, sorry for the ambiguity.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

At its best, Sinfest seemed like sub-Bloom County levels that admittedly stood out from other webcomics because of a workmanlike sense of professionalism. Now it's just... yeah. What it is.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sinfest was never really my thing, and I never regularly followed it, but every so often I'd end up on the website and read a bunch of strips (but never do a full archive binge). It was occasionally funny or interesting, and had real pretty art, but the core focuses of the strip just weren't interesting to me. I wasn't into the comic's perspective on religion or the sexism (which it kept looking at both sides of, both criticizing and perpetuating as the writer warred with his ideas on arousal) or the rap stuff. A lot of things that I was also avoiding in my social life at the time. It could often go on long diversions away from its normal themes, especially when trying to channel some Calvin and Hobbes spirit, but it kept coming back, so the comic never fully snagged me like Schlock Mercenary did.

It also was one of the big webcomics trying to be newspaper strips. I think most of those have died out or changed format by this point. Sluggy Freelance and Kevin and Kell are some of the last survivors. It's not just that new strips aren't being syndicated so that nobody has any real hope of becoming a "proper" newspaper cartoonist, it's the newer generations of creators just not holding any importance to the format of horizontal newspaper strips in general. A lot of newer comics will even tend to occasionally borrow the japanese-style vertical "4-koma" format for when they want a smaller strip rather than doing horizontal strips.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The Sinfest guy probably could've had a good gig drawing newspaper strips if he hooked up with a writer. The style was always pitch perfect (tame cheesecake side), but the content was uneven, even before he went off several consecutive deep ends.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Hostile V posted:

An interesting and still on-going thread about reading 20 years of Sinfest.

https://twitter.com/bitterkarella/status/1498104642881798149

This is really fascinating and does a good job of highlighting what changes as the years go by with the storytelling and the artist's views. After the first 10 years or so is when I must have stopped reading because I no longer recognize the strips or some of the new characters and plotlines. I think my favorite post in specific is the one that calls out the strip for being what is essentially the characters from a political comic strip, but what they do after their appearance.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

It also was one of the big webcomics trying to be newspaper strips. I think most of those have died out or changed format by this point. Sluggy Freelance and Kevin and Kell are some of the last survivors. It's not just that new strips aren't being syndicated so that nobody has any real hope of becoming a "proper" newspaper cartoonist, it's the newer generations of creators just not holding any importance to the format of horizontal newspaper strips in general. A lot of newer comics will even tend to occasionally borrow the japanese-style vertical "4-koma" format for when they want a smaller strip rather than doing horizontal strips.

Didn't Kurtz make a big stab at trying to be syndicated for a while, only to be repeatedly told 'no thank you?'

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
for a long while, webcomics were viewed as (and thought of themselves) as lesser comics that were intended either entirely as a hobby or as a gateway to a "real" comic job. the early paths for external validation came down to independent publishing (through an established publisher; this is pre-kickstarter) or newspaper syndication. a desire for newspaper syndication is so foreign to me i have trouble even conceptualizing it but these types made up a not-insignificant portion of webcomics. weird times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't Kurtz make a big stab at trying to be syndicated for a while, only to be repeatedly told 'no thank you?'

this is way understating the length and obsessive intensity he brought to that. it was weird even back when the ceiling for webcomics success was a steady $4 a year and sharing a webring with Pupkin

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 5, 2022