Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

the idea that birds are only seen because they choose to manipulate the viewer into seeing them was an idea I would have once poo poo’d, but now I’ve accepted it maybe being the case

inter dimensional bird’n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i sincerely like, really hope that if we have aliens here that they're just meat bags that have cool ftl tech, and not interdimensionals

the latter thing has so many wide ranging implications for what they are and historic contact between them and us that it is kinda terrifying

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkImUUFadls

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Objurium posted:

Gary Nolan suggested on the "Engaging the Phenomena" podcast that there apparently might be a physical inflammatory response that occurs when a person is afflicted with poltergeist experiences and we should analyze the blood of experiencers at the "peak" of a particular poltergeist flare up. This fringe paranormal biology poo poo is fascinating.

tldr ghosts are stored in the blood.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Riot Bimbo posted:

i sincerely like, really hope that if we have aliens here that they're just meat bags that have cool ftl tech, and not interdimensionals

the latter thing has so many wide ranging implications for what they are and historic contact between them and us that it is kinda terrifying

ill personally beat their asses regardless

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah the stuff that dude is coming out with is straight up bewildering

I still don't know what to make of the guy

Me neither. One would think his CIA/DoD contacts wouldn’t have him speaking out about those studies. It’s either part of the soft disclosure movement or disinfo. Fascinating either way.

Log082 posted:

Playing the "Op, grift, disinfo, or combo of the above" game is half the fun of watching this stuff.

For sure.

Fly Ricky has issued a correction as of 12:19 on Feb 18, 2022

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Fly Ricky posted:

Me neither. One would think his CIA/DoD contacts wouldn’t have him speaking out about those studies. It’s either part of the soft disclosure movement or disinfo. Fascinating either way.

Playing the "Op, grift, disinfo, or combo of the above" game is half the fun of watching this stuff.

(They're all at least two of those. Except maybe mellon.)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

for those curious about Garry Nolan and his thoughts, check out American Cosmic by DW Pasulka, a professor of religious studies and philosophy. it primarily follows around two scientists, ‘James’ and ‘Tyler’, and James has recently been confirmed as being Garry Nolan.

quote:

Contrary to Stephen Hawking’s statement that only “cranks” believe in and see UFOs, American Cosmic profiles brilliant entrepreneurs of Silicon Valley whose belief in UFOs informs the creation of their innovative and game-changing technologies.

Author and historian of religion Professor D. W. Pasulka journeys through the cafes and labs of Silicon Valley, to the desert of New Mexico to explore how belief in UFOs is covered up, explored, engaged, and created.

Over half of adult Americans and over eighty percent of young Americans believe in ufos or in extraterrestrial life. The new technological infrastructure has birthed several new forms of religion, including religions based on film and fiction. Pasulka reveals how ufo belief is the religion of the technological age. This belief is bolstered by the potential reality of the discovery of life on other planets, made real by NASA’s periodic press releases supporting this belief.

Stranger yet, the author discovers that technology does have strange connections to the paranormal, and the author’s interviews with technologists and her historical research into the Russian and American Space programs reveals the strange and perplexing origins of rocket technologies. Pasulka draws on the latest research into digital and media technologies to reveal how the representation of the UFO passes into minds and bodies, informing memory, belief, and culture.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Log082 posted:

in his most recent interviews lue has been saying that he’s not planning to be the uap guy, that the uap issue is the first and biggest transparency issue he’s moving on but that there’s other poo poo the american public needs to learn about as well, that’s he’s aiming broader

even people with generally lovely ideologies can be right on certain issues

Wheeee has issued a correction as of 12:43 on Feb 18, 2022

hseroK divaD
Jun 3, 2011

Creepy Richard will keep leering at you NON-STOP!
I found this article that is very topical re: neanderthal talk a few pages ago

Close Encounters in the Fourth Dimension: How rediscovering Neanderthals primed us for the search for extraterrestrial life.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Riot Bimbo posted:

You're assuming there's only one kind making contact. It may not be either/or.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

You're assuming there's only one kind making contact. It may not be either/or.

Contact is just like a high school drama about a new kid moving in and the other cliques are all just trying to suss the kid out, so hey new kid human, why not come to this kegger we're having oh you brought nuclear warheads that's pretty hosed up why did you make those what are those for? Oh you used those on your own species that's... well... uh huh... actually our kegger is canceled... uh.. space rain...

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I need a thread relevant book available in PDF to read on my screen at work instead of working. Legal PDFs only of course. :)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Peter Watts has his popular novel Blindsight available free on his website along with a few others and a bunch of short stories.

https://rifters.com/real/shorts.htm

Perhaps more interesting is Charles Stross’ Accelerando which reads like a cocaine fever dream and is both thread relevant and cspam as gently caress, also available free by the author.

https://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/fiction/accelerando/accelerando-intro.html

Wheeee has issued a correction as of 14:26 on Feb 18, 2022

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah the stuff that dude is coming out with is straight up bewildering

I still don't know what to make of the guy

The interview I was talking about is the first time I've heard him talk to an actual ufologist and I get the sense that while he's also a nerd and can rattle off different cases of note, he doesn't necessarily have a lot of patience for ufology as a culture. It felt like he was getting politely frustrated that the host wasn't really asking him questions of substance.

Wheeee posted:

for those curious about Garry Nolan and his thoughts, check out American Cosmic by DW Pasulka, a professor of religious studies and philosophy. it primarily follows around two scientists, ‘James’ and ‘Tyler’, and James has recently been confirmed as being Garry Nolan.

I never finished it and thought I had heard this in passing but that's rad it's confirmed. I wonder if that makes 'Tyler' Jacques Vallee?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Objurium posted:

The interview I was talking about is the first time I've heard him talk to an actual ufologist and I get the sense that while he's also a nerd and can rattle off different cases of note, he doesn't necessarily have a lot of patience for ufology as a culture. It felt like he was getting politely frustrated that the host wasn't really asking him questions of substance.

I never finished it and thought I had heard this in passing but that's rad it's confirmed. I wonder if that makes 'Tyler' Jacques Vallee?

I've just read the preface and the author repeatedly mentions Vallee by name, dunno if they change tack in the main body of the text?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Objurium posted:

Cracked it open today just recently and Vallee is mentioned by name immediately.

efb!!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Tyler is most likely Timothy Taylor based on some digging and the visitors log in this vatican observatory report revealing his visit with Pasulka

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Wheeee posted:

in his most recent interviews lue has been saying that he’s not planning to be the uap guy, that the uap issue is the first and biggest transparency issue he’s moving on but that there’s other poo poo the american public needs to learn about as well, that’s he’s aiming broader

even people with generally lovely ideologies can be right on certain issues

:tinylue: knows what they did to jfk

tell us the government secrets lue!

really though what could be bigger than uap? the American government now openly and shamelessly pillages its citizens to enrich the ruling class, its not like there's many big reveals that could approach "oh yeah ufos are real and they are aliens or ultraterrestrials"

does lue know we are in a simulation and can prove it?

my bony fealty has issued a correction as of 16:13 on Feb 18, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

my bony fealty posted:

:tinylue: knows what they did to jfk

tell us the government secrets lue!

really though what could be bigger than uap? the American government now openly and shamelessly pillages its citizens to enrich the ruling class, its not like there's many big reveals that could approach "oh yeah ufos are real and they are aliens or ultraterrestrials"

does lue know we are in a simulation and can prove it?

the elites know none of this is real, none if it matters, live in pure decadence until the simulation decides you die

or worse

the elites know all of this is real, we are eternal beings of light that want to achieve harmony and love, and they still rape the planet and destroy people on the wheel to live in decadence until their hearts pop

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

the elites know all of this is real, we are eternal beings of light that want to achieve harmony and love, and they still rape the planet and destroy people on the wheel to live in decadence until their hearts pop

this is the more likely one yeah

literal pact with the devil poo poo, and the devil is the vanpiric extradimensional beings who feed on humanity. elites sold out the entire human race so they can suck and gently caress until their mortal shells give out

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
They're just not interested in peace, love, and harmony. It's not really so unbelievable is it? Power and control aren't unattractive to you, certainly there would be some with ever greater affinities towards the pair.

Anyway it's not as though "evil" or "negative" have no place here. They are instruments against which to refine yourself if you're oriented in a "positive" direction.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Objurium posted:

Gary Nolan suggested on the "Engaging the Phenomena" podcast that there apparently might be a physical inflammatory response that occurs when a person is afflicted with poltergeist experiences and we should analyze the blood of experiencers at the "peak" of a particular poltergeist flare up. This fringe paranormal biology poo poo is fascinating.

tldr ghosts are stored in the blood.

Is this leading back to the idea that poltergeist activity is uncontrolled telekinesis by an observer

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Inspector Hound posted:

Is this leading back to the idea that poltergeist activity is uncontrolled telekinesis by an observer

or the experiencer themselves

that would be loving incredible

"Oops human, sorry we opened up your third eye please calm down you're making all your books fall oh gosh oh geez"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/svij2j/canary_islands_ufo_1976_2_tall_humanoid_beings/

tag urself, I'm the enormous intergalactic hyperbong

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Barry Foster posted:

tag urself, I'm the enormous intergalactic hyperbong

astral pm me

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

im the implied very confused deckhand on the boat whose captain is yelling at me to stop lollygagging and get back to work

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'm the guy who stepped out of his house at 3AM cause she wanted to piss over the rocks while the wind caressed his rear end.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm the Peugeot

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I'm the chillwave soundtrack playing in the background

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

lofi p'nti radio - beats to astral project to

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just realized that has to be a diesel pug cause the lights are still going. Uap-resistant french car.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

munce posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r5Ly1AUXFM&t=2856s

Lue saying ufos are seen literally every day. Seems like it should be easy enough for one of the ufo hunter groups to put some cameras on a boat/plane and go out to one of the navy practice areas and get some videos. why not done.

ufo guys take the "release a video that's less than 3 hours" challenge

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

im the insane proportion between the cabin and road next to it

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I need a thread relevant book available in PDF to read on my screen at work instead of working. Legal PDFs only of course. :)

You can find UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go On The Record as a legal pdf with some googling.

Log082 posted:

Mellon and Lue are 100% an op, just not in the way we usually mean when we use that word. I don't think they are a sanctioned op with nefarious goals or aimed at conning the public. I think that they and others in their faction, that being the insiders in favor of disclosure, tried their best to get the disclosure ball rolling within the bureaucracy of government and when they hit a brick wall formed a plan to do so by going public.

They are obviously working a coordinated plan. They knew how to avoid the pitfalls that usually happen when some ex-government official starts talking about UFOs and gets regulated to the woo table and only listened to by die-hard UFO people at conventions. Look at how well the original coming out in 2017 was done in such a way to capture the public's attention and imagination, convince the media to take it seriously, and make it not only undeniable by the government but done in such a way they are forced to respond instead of ignore it as usual.

Look at how well they've done at keeping this topic in the news cycle. Just when it dies down as far as the mainstream public is concerned; Lue, Mellon, and the others on their "team" do or release something to get it right back into the zeitgeist. Look at how the topic has slowly but surely evolved at just the right pace over the last 4 years as new questions are raised and information released. Look at the coordination with congressmen and senators on both sides of the isle to take legislative action at appropriate moments. Look at how the question of why the Air Force has been absent on the issue suddenly burst into being with a coordinated media blitz at just the right time after the latest bill was passed.

If you wanted to go about disclosure in a legal and undeniable way you could not do a better job than they have done. And I say this is an op by a disclosure "faction" and not an official government one from the very top because you can see how the faction against disclosure has responded. Particularly you can look at the timeline and details of responses by the Pentagon over the last four years to see this in action. Things like the contradictory statements from the Pentagon about what Lue did, what AATIP did, etc. How stuff released by FOIA to different organizations such as The Black Vault and others gets different redactions or responses despite being requests for the same material at the same time.

It has been fascinating to watch play out from a meta perspective.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
Why would birds want to make peaceable contact with a species that does this to it's own children?
https://twitter.com/AlchemPunk/status/1494340165912784899

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Wheeee posted:

"Stranger yet, the author discovers that technology does have strange connections to the paranormal, and the author’s interviews with technologists and her historical research into the Russian and American Space programs reveals the strange and perplexing origins of rocket technologies. Pasulka draws on the latest research into digital and media technologies to reveal how the representation of the UFO passes into minds and bodies, informing memory, belief, and culture."

A bunch of Nazi scientists that were kidnapped and/or given immunity from persecution if they work for the US govt is a strange and perplexing origin of rocket science?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Do you know Jack Parsons?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Isn't that the guy who wrote the books about SA and internet culture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
He was a prominent Thelemite and Caltech affiliate who co-founded NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory and the Aerojet Engineering Corporation. He was blacklisted by McCarthyism and left his positions. He died at 37 in a home lab explosion.

There's a JPL research project that I want to highlight here: https://er.jsc.nasa.gov/seh/shroud.html Its investigation into the Shroud of Turin, which is still on NASA's website. Although this was 1978 and Parsons wasn't involved, only two members of JPL were involved. But it is curious.