Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The only thing that seems interesting to me in Grolnok space is aggressively tutoring for Hermit Druid and then exiling my entire deck basically casting as much of it as I can, but the deck only functions with a truly unreasonable mana base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Bust Rodd posted:

If not, doesn’t Commander Mechanic (a goon) have a discount code for TCG player? I could have sworn they posted it before, support fam

Man I wish I knew this before i blew a fat dollar on cards the past 3 days.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Just from playing Grolnok with the small card pool that is historic brawl, the most interesting card in the deck is https://scryfall.com/card/m19/230/desecrated-tomb. Tomb triggers off of every creature that gets milled so you can get an army of bats pretty quickly. Alchemy also put another version that make tapped 2/2 zombies, but that a digital only card so not applicable here. My plan is then to turn them all into frogs with maskwood nexus or arcane adaptation then mill myself for oracle/jace kill.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Dizz posted:

Man I wish I knew this before i blew a fat dollar on cards the past 3 days.

pain

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Balon posted:

Yup, referral stuff for TCG Player and Hairy Tarantula (if you don’t mind your stuff coming from Canada).

All that is in the description of any of my videos on YouTube. I also have a Grolnok list & deck tech up there, just search for Commander Mechanic on the tubes.

To be clear, is there a discount from TCG Player using your referral link? None appears when I go to checkout.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

LeafHouse posted:

To be clear, is there a discount from TCG Player using your referral link? None appears when I go to checkout.

No discount, no. I’m an affiliate, not a partner.

I do have promo codes for Hairy Tarantula, though - 5% off your first order.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Rachel Weeks: Extremely Cool & Good (long & Cool thread about purpose of banlist)

https://twitter.com/wachelreeks/status/1491857337295904768?s=21

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

The only thing that seems interesting to me in Grolnok space is aggressively tutoring for Hermit Druid and then exiling my entire deck basically casting as much of it as I can, but the deck only functions with a truly unreasonable mana base.

This is what I'm going to go for, I'm thinking. Probably vary the number of basic land cards to test out milling 1/4, or 1/3, etc etc.

I don't really give a poo poo about the frog creature type, I just want to have my entire deck be playable any time and make my friends quake in fear :getin:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Generally with Hermit Druid lines, you have zero basic lands in your deck so you can guarantee dumping the whole deck into the graveyard.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The important thing with mill strats is that you can’t get drowned with fiddly mill horseshit. You only get to play 100 cards, and 30+ of those have to be lands, even more in Grolnok if you anticipate resistance or disruption. You can’t be wasting your game actions and mana and cardboard dumping 3 cards into one graveyard. You’re just spinning wheels that do nothing. If you aren’t basically casting Traumatize on yourself, don’t bother sleeving it up. It’s better to pick a small handful of “mill most or all of my library” effects and aggressively tutor for them than it is to futz about with teensy widdle mill spells. You’re already on the back foot by playing a meme frog that requires you to dramatically endanger yourself in order to sculpt a tempo advantage, so I wouldn’t at all feel bad about cramming it full of tutors and premium interaction.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 15, 2022

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Rachel Weeks: Extremely Cool & Good (long & Cool thread about purpose of banlist)

https://twitter.com/wachelreeks/status/1491857337295904768?s=21

This is more or less exactly how I feel about it, with similar feelings for cards like Sway and Coalition Victory. Glad to see she's on the CAG.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I used to think Biorhythm was bullshit because there are a bunch of decks that didn't really rely heavily on creatures that it would gently caress over way too hard.

Now that cEDH is leaning more into creature based strategies, it's kinda whatever.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I really like Chun, Gief and Blanka, but the rest of these are pretty mid or lovely. IDK what the deal is with Honda lol.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

The Shortest Path posted:

This is more or less exactly how I feel about it, with similar feelings for cards like Sway and Coalition Victory. Glad to see she's on the CAG.

Agreed. Very sensible, understands the difference between "being ban worthy" and "an unban having positive effect on anything". She observes the inherent inertia of the ban list, AKA why Painter's Servant took so long to come off, which I think the RC likes to ignore because it makes them look short sighted and bad at their jobs. *cough*

Worldfire is the perfect parallel, but that somehow got unbanned?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

fadam posted:

I really like Chun, Gief and Blanka, but the rest of these are pretty mid or lovely. IDK what the deal is with Honda lol.

Call me back when we get the Magic x Rick and Morty crossover.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Biorhythm deserves to be banned because its the card that literally every casual wannabe will jam to either steal random wins off nothing but a mana dork post wrath, or will just draw games. I think there's no real reason to leave Sway banned. Worldwide already proved that point. Other than that, my concerns are extremely lopsided in terms of format overhaul and additional bans.

On a related note, Conquest tried out pregame Scrys (Scry X where X is the number of players before you) for a quarter and it was so cool and good, it's now a format rule.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

fadam posted:

Guile being Jeskai is too on-the-nose. :colbert:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Toshimo posted:

On a related note, Conquest tried out pregame Scrys (Scry X where X is the number of players before you) for a quarter and it was so cool and good, it's now a format rule.

How does this interact with the London Mulligan? Just as you would expect: put cards under then Scry more under before game start?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Chun-Li seems ridiculously busted.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Framboise posted:

Chun-Li seems ridiculously busted.

What are you casting with her?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

Cantrips and permanent bouncing spells seem pretty cool.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Swords or Path on their best defender every combat feels like a good trick.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Framboise posted:

Cantrips and permanent bouncing spells seem pretty cool.

Oh and silence effects too.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Toshimo posted:

Nexus of fate. If I can figure out a way to get it into my yard.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdXwsqmVoUI

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

pseudanonymous posted:

Nexus of fate. If I can figure out a way to get it into my yard.

Which would be never. Sooooooo…

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

fadam posted:

Ken gets slammed immediately into Feather's 99

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I was looking at THIS PRIMER for a Haptara Deck.

One of the combos it uses is this:

quote:

Method 1

Have Yawgmoth, Thran Physician, Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons and Zulaport Cutthroat or in play.
Cast Young Wolf or have it on the battlefield.
Activate Yawgmoth, Thran Physician, sacrificing Young Wolf, to place a -1/-1 counter on either Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons, or any other creature on the battlefield.
This action causes you to draw a card and each opponent to lose one life while you gain one life, which pays for the activation of Yawgmoth, Thran Physician. When the Young Wolf dies, Undying triggers.

Undying states: "When this creature dies, if it had no +1/+1 counters on it, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control with a +1/+1 counter on it."

Once Young Wolf is back in play with a +1/+1 counter on it, activate Yawgmoth, Thran Physician a second time, using the newly created snake as sac fodder and targeting the Young Wolf. Along with the card draw and life drain that this action causes, it will also reset the game state to just before Step 3. Once you are at this point, repeat Step 3 and continue looping the Young Wolf so that every other activation triggers Undying until each opponent's life total is zero. Since the Life paid for the activation is returned due to triggers, this allows you to continue to activate this ability equal to the total cards left in your library. This typically wins the game with players having 40 Life and 100 card libraries due to the nature of EDH.

As I understand it the undying wolf with a +1/+1 counter getting a -1/-1 counter practically negates it, but the reality is that the wolf "sees" both counters and won't trigger undying when its hit with a second -1/-1 counter by Yawgmoth. But the primer implies that this is an infinite loop and I just don't get it.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Nystral posted:

I was looking at THIS PRIMER for a Haptara Deck.

One of the combos it uses is this:

As I understand it the undying wolf with a +1/+1 counter getting a -1/-1 counter practically negates it, but the reality is that the wolf "sees" both counters and won't trigger undying when its hit with a second -1/-1 counter by Yawgmoth. But the primer implies that this is an infinite loop and I just don't get it.
If a game object has both +1/+1 counters and -1/-1 counters, they automatically remove each other on a 1-for-1 basis, leaving just whichever counters there are more of.

So adding a -1/-1 counter to a creature with a +1/+1 counter actually removes the +1/+1 counter, and allows undying to trigger again.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Thanks! I didn't realize that.

Torches Upon Stars
Jan 17, 2015

The future is bright.
Funny that the comprehensive rules specifically call out this kind of interaction as an example for state-based actions (which cover creatures dying/losing all their toughness, and counters):

quote:

704.8. If a state-based action results in a permanent leaving the battlefield at the same time other state-based actions were performed, that permanent’s last known information is derived from the game state before any of those state-based actions were performed.
Example: You control Young Wolf, a 1/1 creature with undying, and it has a +1/+1 counter on it. A spell puts three -1/-1 counters on Young Wolf. Before state-based actions are performed, Young Wolf has one +1/+1 counter and three -1/-1 counters on it. After state-based actions are performed, Young Wolf is in the graveyard. When it was last on the battlefield, it had a +1/+1 counter on it, so undying will not trigger.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I remember when they introduced this mechanical rules change in, uh, Morningtide I believe, because the R/B set theme for the block was -1/-1 counters, and if you could imagine it there were old heads even then complaining that this was a bad change and keeping track of two different sets of counters on a creature that you then had to do math for every combat was GOOD actually and that was when I promised to never become a “Back in my day” magic boomer.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

So just to clarify, if the -1/-1 counters are added one-by-one, the undying creatures will be immortal, but if more than one is added at once, they don’t come back?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yes, the "does a creature have insufficient toughness to continue being alive" check happens before the "should these counters and anti-counters annihilate themselves?" Check

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Bust Rodd posted:

I remember when they introduced this mechanical rules change in, uh, Morningtide I believe, because the R/B set theme for the block was -1/-1 counters, and if you could imagine it there were old heads even then complaining that this was a bad change and keeping track of two different sets of counters on a creature that you then had to do math for every combat was GOOD actually and that was when I promised to never become a “Back in my day” magic boomer.

It was that Lorwyn/Morningtide had a +1/+1 counter theme and Shadowmoor/Eventide was going to have a -1/-1 counter theme.

Grognards will complain about literally any change. Sometimes they're even right, but in this case they were definitely wrong.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
This game would be so much better if we had batches again.

Magic died when they got rid of mono artifacts.

Real wizards play with ante. If you don't, you're a coward.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Aranan posted:

This game would be so much better if we had batches again.

Magic died when they got rid of mono artifacts.

Real wizards play with ante. If you don't, you're a coward.

* turns off your artifact by tapping it *

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What's the best way to sell high-value cards these days? I have an old judge promo Yawgmoth's Will and don't play nearly enough these days to justify holding onto an $800+ card.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Elysiume posted:

What's the best way to sell high-value cards these days? I have an old judge promo Yawgmoth's Will and don't play nearly enough these days to justify holding onto an $800+ card.

Make an NFT of it and sell that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Elysiume posted:

Maybe Facebook groups or a discord mtg market. I wish I had the funds to pay for it tho. I love that card.