Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Halloween Jack posted:

AFAIK a chip just allows the animal to be identified when you actually find them; it's not any kind of tracking device. So you still have to physically take the cat back or get the authorities involved.

If someone takes it in and gets it scanned and calls you, that’s because they want to return your pet. If someone who stole your dog takes it to the vet and the chip info doesn’t match they are still going to treat the dog as if the person bringing it in to the vet owns it (and as far as the vet knows, they might, if they just say the chip info is out of date) because they don’t want to prevent the animal from getting care and you’ll almost certainly never hear about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If an older woman asks you to marry her on a boat, you can't refuse. Because of the implication.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I [21/m] think I fell in love with a woman [46/f] that I met a week ago while on a vacation. She wants me to move near her.
Oh kid. Just let it go and let it be an amazing vacation memory, don't ruin it by trying to make it a thing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Captain Hygiene posted:

I [21/m] think I fell in love with a woman [46/f] that I met a week ago while on a vacation. She wants me to move near her.

I mean personally I don't see what could go wrong with moving to another country to live with a person twice your age who you met a week ago and immediately pulled you away from your friend group

quote:

Do it. Now is the time to make young dumb decisions and hope they turn out for the best. I was in a similar situation and now I married the man I moved half way across the country for.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
yeah what's the worst that could happen

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for being upset with my son for finding a job without telling me?

I wonder if anybody in this story thought a solution is paying the son for babysitting. I can already here the "BuT faMIly!!!" excuse but it seems like the best option. Kid gets the money he needs, mom gets childcare, bang done.

That's way too reasonable though so I guess blowing up her childcare and relarionship with her son by demanding free childcare forever is the correct answer. Maybe start taking away things or grounding him for being disrespectful. If he has a car take the keys, especially if he paid for it and her name isn't on anything. Its like she's not even trying here.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

limp_cheese posted:

I wonder if anybody in this story thought a solution is paying the son for babysitting. I can already here the "BuT faMIly!!!" excuse but it seems like the best option. Kid gets the money he needs, mom gets childcare, bang done.

That's way too reasonable though so I guess blowing up her childcare and relarionship with her son by demanding free childcare forever is the correct answer. Maybe start taking away things or grounding him for being disrespectful. If he has a car take the keys, especially if he paid for it and her name isn't on anything. Its like she's not even trying here.

Well you see, paid childcare is a no for her, so it's fortunate that the son enjoys voluntarily babysitting the kids and is happy to do so for the foreseeable future so she doesn't have to consider potential alternative arrangements

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Eh, if they did that, you know it would be the same allowance they'd give a high-schooler, for 25 hours of babysitting a week.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

limp_cheese posted:

OR he could just stick with the job he got and actually start building a work history so it will help him get a job down the line easier, instead of relying on a paycheck from parent who up until now has refused to pay for child care. With a regular job they're legally required to pay you. I'm sure there would be no such arrangement with his parents, or even if there was, he'd have to go through a lot more hoops to fight it if they decide to skip a paycheck or two.

Even if they offered to pay the same as the job he'd get, or more, it wouldn't be worth it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i had to commit to $20k for catering and two $5k cakes from the hotel chef to even reserve the venue

My friend's wedding reception was "if anybody asks, it's technically a family reunion" for that sort of reason. I don't know the price difference but the staff at the place he had it were willing to play along.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I'm gonna be honest, I used to think the pricing difference from various professionals for wedding stuff was just another pink tax but then I had to work with folks on some wedding poo poo and

I get it now

Just the level of stress that comes along with dealing with an anxious couple and their respective families means you end up sinking so much more time and effort into it than a normal gig, and so you tack on fees just to claw back some of your time and get paid for it. Maybe you get lucky and you get a chill couple and family and it's unnecessary, but that's the exception, not the rule.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Mx. posted:

lmfao my man blowing up his relationship because he's jealous of a triangle

I believe the term is 'love triangle'. :v:

Barudak posted:

Everytime a woman tells me in the future the problem with their partner is they never get jealous, I'll think about this

That's... happened to you before?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I used to think the pricing difference from various professionals for wedding stuff was just another pink tax but then I had to work with folks on some wedding poo poo and

I get it now

Just the level of stress that comes along with dealing with an anxious couple and their respective families means you end up sinking so much more time and effort into it than a normal gig, and so you tack on fees just to claw back some of your time and get paid for it. Maybe you get lucky and you get a chill couple and family and it's unnecessary, but that's the exception, not the rule.

Absolutely, yeah, I'm sympathetic to both sides on that sort of thing because when someone decides to throw a wrench in everything it's a nightmare. The staff being onboard is, I feel, a key part of my anecdote. There weren't any stereotypical wedding disaster shenanigans that I'm aware of.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Combo posted:

OR he could just stick with the job he got and actually start building a work history so it will help him get a job down the line easier, instead of relying on a paycheck from parent who up until now has refused to pay for child care. With a regular job they're legally required to pay you. I'm sure there would be no such arrangement with his parents, or even if there was, he'd have to go through a lot more hoops to fight it if they decide to skip a paycheck or two.

Even if they offered to pay the same as the job he'd get, or more, it wouldn't be worth it.

Him having a job is obviously better for him for all the reasons you mentioned, I just found it funny that such an obvious compromise wasn't even brought up.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Oh yeah it sounds like you guys were chill, and the staff being cool is def key. Just saying...I Get It now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quackles posted:

That's... happened to you before?

Yes. I've know women who dumped their partners because they were insufficiently the villain in a romcom over other guys even when it was like "this is dave, who I work with".

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I get it now

YUP. Also if there's an open bar, people are a lot more likely to cause trouble. We had to up our security guard count for weddings and only weddings because of incidents of people getting rowdy, too drunk to stand, trying to sneak behind the bar to steal a bottle, etc.

Bruceski posted:

Absolutely, yeah, I'm sympathetic to both sides on that sort of thing because when someone decides to throw a wrench in everything it's a nightmare. The staff being onboard is, I feel, a key part of my anecdote. There weren't any stereotypical wedding disaster shenanigans that I'm aware of.
It's a bit odd that the staff was on board. It's not like we know ahead of time if a wedding client is going to be chill or not (they usually aren't). I guess if they started the transaction with a lie and then just weren't annoying, the venue/staff decided to let it go. Was there alcohol?

e: I've mentioned it before, but it's usually pretty easy to sniff out a wedding enquiry, even if the potential client is trying to hide it. Very few people are looking to host a party for 150 of their family and friends on a Saturday in June of next year for a "family reunion".

Sisal Two-Step fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 18, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

My rabbits are chipped. I appreciate the shelter doing it but if they somehow escaped from the house that chip would be inside of a fox or a hawk in a matter of hours

Well congratulations on your new fox or hawk!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Sisal Two-Step posted:

yeah what's the worst that could happen

You wind up marrying the “Poisoner of Guaymallén”

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

If someone takes it in and gets it scanned and calls you, that’s because they want to return your pet. If someone who stole your dog takes it to the vet and the chip info doesn’t match they are still going to treat the dog as if the person bringing it in to the vet owns it (and as far as the vet knows, they might, if they just say the chip info is out of date) because they don’t want to prevent the animal from getting care and you’ll almost certainly never hear about it.

Where I live there's a service where you can report your chipped pet lost and they somehow update the database or hold a second database that vets actually check so you will get a phone call when they're scanned but it's a very small country.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I wonder if you can chip a gerbil, then get a neighborhood cat to eat it and have a convincing claim on the cat.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The chips don't migrate to the back of the neck when the smaller animal gets eaten. They aren't nanites.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

External Organs posted:

I wonder if you can chip a gerbil, then get a neighborhood cat to eat it and have a convincing claim on the cat.

For a limited time, perhaps.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I wonder if you could chip a gerbil and get yourself a Richard Gere of your very own?

/80s joke

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Combo posted:

I wonder if you could chip a gerbil and get yourself a Richard Gere of your very own?

/80s joke

I'm just a cat, eating a gerbil, that ate a chip, standing in front of Richard Gere, who also just ate a gerbil, with his rear end, asking him to love her.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for not letting MIL meet her first grandchild?

quote:

I (27f) have 4 daughters from a previous relationship. My husband (24M) and I just welcomed our son into the world this past July. I have not let MIL near me since I found out I was pregnant. Nor has she met our son. This is a touchy subject in our household due to the fact my family has all met baby boy.Husbands parents are divorced (and have been since he was a young). All of husband's paternal side has met baby boy as well as husband's sisters.

Back in 2020 we (my daughters, husband, and I) would spend tons of time with husband's maternal side of the family. They acted as if my daughters and I were family. They welcomed us with open arms. We had cookouts with them. And spent nearly every day together. I loved it since my family doesn't really do anything like that. I would spend tons of time with MIL and her husband. I would literally do anything they needed or help them in way I could.

Fall of 2020 husband's father was visiting from another state. He stayed with us for like 2 months. MIL was mad that we allowed husband's biological father stay with us. Husband and father got into small fight after a two months of him staying with us. So he (husband) PACKED HIS BAGS and was about to leave to his moms. I'm not sure the logic since he could have just told his dad to leave... Well somehow MIL found out about the fight shows up and before anyone can tell her anything SHE ACCUSES ME OF HAVING SEX WITH MY HUSBANDS FATHER!!!! Husband snapped outta it and we all just looked at her confused. Like what made you come to that conclusion. We kicked everyone out of our house both parents left.

We had been trying for a child since the summer and found out I was pregnant in November. We all were so excited. Well almost everyone. MIL didn't believe my child was husbands. She would always try to put doubt in his head. Behind my back she would always tell husband he could do better then me. She would always put me down to him. She would try to get him to move back home. Asking him why he would want to be with someone with so many kids this and that. She would often refer to me as a slut. Husband would from what I was told just ignore her comments. (Found everything out from his youngest sister). I was hurt that she would even think that or say those things about me. I stopped going to any family events and cut off all contact from MIL. We live like 2 blocks away from her. I was hoping she would apologize at some point..yeah that never happened.

July 2021 we had our son. We got a DNA test done because it really bothered me what she had said and honestly I knew if I didn't she would never drop it. Husband told me I was crazy but we got one done. Once we got the results I put it in a pretty box with glitter, cute tissue paper, and chocolates that I knew she didn't like. And had it delivered to her house as a birth announcement. Her and I ended up in an argument with her saying everything was my fault.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

An amusing new level of entitlement, I'm not going to break the updates out so just have the wall of text...

Ex friend thinks I'm going to be their landlord.

quote:

Obligatory on mobile. Throwaway because of legal stuff. I am in the UK.

I bought my first flat when I was in my twenties. I rented out a room to a guy from Poland. Awesome flatmate (FM), super good at DIY and maintenance.

I was seeing someone for a while, let's call her Ghost. Ghost lived with 2 other girls, one of whom is the titular ex friend, let's call her Karen. Ghost and I broke up (from the imaginative name you can guess what happened...) and that whole friend group ditched me.

My career went pretty well, and I bought a house in the suburbs. I decided to let FM stay on in the flat on the same rent, with the proviso that he not sublet (but his girlfriend (GF) moves in which is fine). I get the mortgage covered and a tenant who is better at maintaining the place than I am, he gets a 2 bed flat for half price.

A few years on, and a certain Idiot Referendum passes, and Flatmate and his girlfriend are moving home to Poland. His GF has already gone back, but when I'm over sorting some stuff with FM, I see a huge pile of moving boxes etc in the spare room

"Oh, is that GFs stuff? Are you going ito be able to fit all that in the car?" "Uh, no, that's Karen's stuff. She asked if she could leave it here while we were still here."

As it turns out, Karen was still friends with GF. She found out they were leaving, and that their rent was a pretty good deal. She told GF that she had squared it all with me, and that she was going to take it all over.

I will confess to a few minutes panic and confusion. I have not spoken to this person in years. She thinks that she is going to move into my flat, and doesn't even ask?? How the hell does she even intend to pay rent, given she has made zero attempts to contact me. And why would I not go for market rate?? I'm honestly baffled (and somewhat morbidly fascinate to find out how she thinks this is going to work.)

I don't really want to get into some kind of ridiculous squatters rights squabble with them, so I contacted my solicitor (think a non trial lawyer). She recommends I get the locks changed, and install a security camera, and to send the inevitable roof hitting her way when Karen turns up and tries to get in. (I actually think she's quite excited by the drama. A bit more interesting than property conveyancing)

I explain all this to FM. He agrees to move out 2 weeks early, and even helps me fit the doorbell camera. (He really was the best)

...so that's where we are. I pretty much have the ring app open constantly on my phone. I have pretty clear instructions not to say anything other than give my solicitors information, and record any any all correspondence when it happens. (I'm presuming she will hear from GF though). I'll post an update if anything interesting comes of it..

TLDR: A former friend has left a bunch of her stuff in my flat and plans to move in.. She has made zero attempt to contact me, but somehow thinks this will work out in her favour.

Update 1

Today at lunchtime. Karen turned up and tried to get in the flat, and she was not alone. Ghost was with her, and they had a key. I feel stupid for not remembering that Ghost probably had one from when we were together (or they got a copy from GF). Didn't think she'd keep it after she ditched me, but probably should have changed locks back then. Oops. Sorry tenants, my ex had a key to your flat the whole time.

Camera didn't get the preamble but they came up to the door and tried a key.

"It's not working." Some fumbling. "He's ****ing changed the lock" (Some more descriptive language, presumably about me and my parentage that I can't wait to have a solicitor read back to them)

They continue to take turns trying the key. I connect at this point but don't say anything. They try the doorbell but it doesn't make any noise because I'm connected. I think its lit up but I guess they don't realise that means I'm watching. i thought ring cameras had a siren to give them a fright but couldn't find it.They bang on the door and window a bit before walking off... I stayed listening through the camera but didn't hear anything.

Still eerily quiet on phone. Video sent to solicitor anyway.. I've had 2 calls from unknown numbers. Not going to answer, will wait for someone to text me and send them the solicitors contact info. More to come in guess. In hindsight I should probably have waited to see how this played out before posting. Solicitor would probably murder me if she knew I was doing this :)

Update 2

After a whole bunch of phone calls from random numbers I finally got one from Ghosts father. He was always a gentleman who I got on with, so I sent him a polite message saying if this was about the flat, please direct this to my solicitor and gave him the details. He said OK, and she said he contacted her and is going in to meet her on Friday. So I guess I could update the title to entitled ex wants me to be her landlord.

I did some snooping on social media (I deleted my Facebook years ago). It seems that Ghost and Karen's other housemate is getting married soon. They were all living rent free in The Brides Nan's old house, so I'm guessing impending nuptials are the reason Ghost and Karen are looking for somewhere new and cheap to live. Not really my problem though.

Update 3

Probably the final one. Has taken a turn from the entitled to just plain dumb. With my apologies, there is not much drama and it is all second hand.

Karen, Ghost and Ghost Dad met with solicitor today, where they unveiled their secret weapon. They had a copy of my lease with FM.

I was right, in that their rent free ride was over, and they had no money saved. Ghost had been used to me as a cash machine for years, I guess, so thought I would just roll over? Lol no as the kids might say.

So these brainiacs plan was that they would take over the existing lease agreement with FM and GF without my involvement. They had a key, they had my payment details from the tenancy agreement (GF just cost FM and her a wedding gift. :/ ). Luckily the accounts sole purpose was for rent, so I can change that number easily. They thought they could just write their names on the form as well and it would be legally binding. Never mind the fact that there is no subletting, the agreement was with someone else, and the agreement was terminated by FM.

Solicitor says they only tried to argue their point for a minute before giving up. Meeting at her office gave her real home field psychological advantage I think. That and, you know, every freaking law in the land. She was laughing on the phone about it.

Honestly, these people are nearly 40. How they have no idea how a lease works is beyond me.... although I don't think they believed it, I think its just because they got caught and are trying to spin

Long stupid story short, Ghosts Dad has agreed to pay a moving company to collect the boxes and bring them to his house. I need to be there for that, but I will slam the door at the first sign of anyone other than a mover.

I'm out about 350 quid in solicitors fees. I can accept that (like I said, no wedding preset for FM now). I mean I'd preferred not to have the happen, but who knows what would have happened if they got in or got their day in court. There is a non zero chance I could have been screwed by a Justice based on some sob story. Even in the likely case I'd win, the only people who make money I these things are the lawyers. Punitive damages aren't really a thing here. The courts would just send everyone on their ways.

At least I'll always have a video of my ex failing to pull a fast one on me, and the record of her being called to my solicitors office like they've been called to the office by the head teacher

Quick note on why I didn't just chuck her things out the door; flats here tend to open to outside, not a corridor, so it would be the same as chucking it out in the rain.. and there is a legal duty of care. Its called being an involuntary bailee. It sucks, but it's a pretty common landlord problem. And Karen is a Karen. At least twice ive seen her complain in a restaurant to get her meal comped. Rules are a weapon to use against others. She would absolutely have made trouble for me.

That's hopefully it. Thanks for sticking with me, apologies if it didn't live up to the expectations of drama. Hopefully at the very least it will serve as a cautionary tale about changing locks if you get dumped!

GIVE ME YOUR LEASE!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

External Organs posted:

You can't scam your way into owning Koschei the Deathless with a microchip

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you can scam God with an electronic timer you can scam koschei the deathless with a microchip

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Should still get flat mate a wedding present, even if belated. Otherwise very well played OP.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well you see, paid childcare is a no for her, so it's fortunate that the son enjoys voluntarily babysitting the kids and is happy to do so for the foreseeable future so she doesn't have to consider potential alternative arrangements

"Why should we pay him? He lives under our roof rent free, WE pay all the bills & feed him!! Isn't that enough?!?"

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hellblazer187 posted:

Should still get flat mate a wedding present, even if belated. Otherwise very well played OP.

I believe he's miffed the flatmate gave them a copy of his lease, complete with the information for a bank account.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

greazeball posted:

Where I live there's a service where you can report your chipped pet lost and they somehow update the database or hold a second database that vets actually check so you will get a phone call when they're scanned but it's a very small country.

I just signed up for something like this in the US.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Midnight Voyager posted:

I believe he's miffed the flatmate gave them a copy of his lease, complete with the information for a bank account.

That's probably some sort of financial crime, too. Not getting a wedding gift should be the least of his worries.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hughlander posted:

An amusing new level of entitlement, I'm not going to break the updates out so just have the wall of text...

Ex friend thinks I'm going to be their landlord.

GIVE ME YOUR LEASE!

Looking forward to the Coen Bros adaptation

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Captain Hygiene posted:

Looking forward to the Coen Bros adaptation

Lease Simple

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Halloween Jack posted:

Injecting tiny NFTs into my parrots

Just whatever you do, don't make a fractal parrot NFT:

External Organs posted:

I'm just a cat, eating a gerbil, that ate a chip, standing in front of Richard Gere, who also just ate a gerbil, with his rear end, asking him to love her.

Not sure I like this retelling of "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Quail Zalgo

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Midnight Voyager posted:

I think it was flatmates GF, who was never on the lease at all.

I want to believe in the goodness of FM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Midnight Voyager posted:

Oh, I thought it was just the budget matter of having to spend $350 on a lawyer. I didn't really think of where Ghost and Karen would have gotten the agreement. But OK, yeah, if FM gave the copy then yeah no present.