Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Inzombiac posted:

XCOM2 deal still up. I just got two.

I'm assuming it's null and void in Canada?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I doubt that will be the reality as companies have incentive to jealously guard their IPs but not the same incentive to sell them

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The news about the shutdown got me to dig my 3DS up from the back of the cabinet and start playing some Final Fantasy Theatrhythm Curtain Call

so it's impossible to say whether the news is good or bad

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm assuming it's null and void in Canada?

You might not be able to buy it through Amazon but 2K has it for sale on their website too

Just make sure you pick Switch digital because it defaults to PC. I don't see why it would stop you from buying it there and redeeming the code on the eShop.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's just funny the people who are maddest are the ones who didn't buy any games on this system and had no intention to. They just believe they should be abstractly 'available' somehow.

Yeah sure, ideally you could buy or play these anywhere. Eventually that will probably be a reality even.

It is also funny because the Wii U is part of it. I can understand people not being happy with the 3DS eshop closing. I would be shocked if all the people that are angry about the Wii U eshop closing owned Wii Us.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

flavor.flv posted:

So instead of encouraging you to dump old weapons and change up your playstyle from time to time, it does nothing at all except waste slightly more of your limited time on this earth in menus between fights

Yeah! Isn’t it neat!

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

The Postman posted:

You might not be able to buy it through Amazon but 2K has it for sale on their website too

Just make sure you pick Switch digital because it defaults to PC. I don't see why it would stop you from buying it there and redeeming the code on the eShop.

Thanks! I've been wanting to replay it on switch even tho I have it on PC. Seems like the perfect kind of game for handheld

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Weird that they haven't ported Chimera Squad to Switch yet. They just kinda released it on Steam and forgot about it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Andrast posted:

The news about the shutdown got me to dig my 3DS up from the back of the cabinet and start playing some Final Fantasy Theatrhythm Curtain Call

so it's impossible to say whether the news is good or bad

That game made my top 3 3DS games lol.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

worms butthole guy posted:

I hope Nintendo gets a class action lawsuit because the fact that they can just turn off code / gift redemption is illegal in several states.

How does that law even make sense? So if someone carefully preserves a download code for his grandchildren, they can sue the company 100+ years later if they can't redeem it? That seems kind of open-ended, so I'm assuming you're over-simplifying and there is a time limit on the books

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Electromax posted:

That game made my top 3 3DS games lol.

:same:

It's so goddamn good. Why isn't there theatrhythm on the switch square?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean most codes have an expiration date already

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Palmtree Panic posted:

Closing the eshop is some anti-consumer bullshit. Yet, I didn't know Final Fantasy Tactics was on the Wii U virtual console until now.

Either this is a dirty fib or you meant FFTA; both possibilities made me much angrier than is appropriate.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Spacebump posted:

It is also funny because the Wii U is part of it. I can understand people not being happy with the 3DS eshop closing. I would be shocked if all the people that are angry about the Wii U eshop closing owned Wii Us.
It would be weird to have an opinion on the closure of the 3DS eShop and not the Wii U eShop simply because you only owned one of the two systems. More generally, it's possible to be unhappy with the decision without being personally affected by it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I don't want to live in a world where one could no longer buy Theatrhythm DLC.

Then again I want to live in a world where Theatrhythm Final Fantasy was on the Nintendo Switch and that hasn't happened either.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the crossover between people who still care about buying 3DS games and people who can’t be arsed to hack their 3DS must be minuscule

That might be me. I have a hacked DS Lite, and it's nice and fun, but I have far less will to do that with my 3DS for whatever reason, just being lazy and not particulary tech savvy. I haven't checked how to do it, and I have no doubt it's rather simple instructions but still. By my count there are 4-8 (Wario Lands, DKC Lands, and maybe Pokémon TCG and Kirby Breakout/other Kirby games) GB/GBC virtual Console games I'd like to get + 4 3DS games : OoT 3D, Link Between Worlds, and NES Remix Ultimate. DKC Returns, Yoshi's Wooly World, and maybe Bravely Second (if I ever finish the first) I'd get physical since I don't think I'd replay them necessarily and I'd just trade them in.

Andrast posted:

:same:

It's so goddamn good. Why isn't there theatrhythm on the switch square?

I have this and I love it because the music is just so good, but is there any point/actual progression? I play it like I do Tetris if that makes sense.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I have this and I love it because the music is just so good, but is there any point/actual progression? I play it like I do Tetris if that makes sense.

There's some mechanics to the rpg layer but it kind of doesn't do anyting aside getting you some collectibles. Mostly it's there so you can get your Shantotto's meteor to kill 10 bosses in a row or something in the background of the rhythm game if you want to.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Thunder Bear posted:

Either this is a dirty fib or you meant FFTA; both possibilities made me much angrier than is appropriate.

Yes, Tactics Advance. Pretty surprising the PS1 game Final Fantasy Tactics isn't on Virtual Console.

Fun fact/sad fact: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is the only Square Enix game released on the GBA virtual console.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Andrast posted:

There's some mechanics to the rpg layer but it kind of doesn't do anyting aside getting you some collectibles. Mostly it's there so you can get your Shantotto's meteor to kill 10 bosses in a row or something in the background of the rhythm game if you want to.

Oh that reminds me I also need to get more DLC for this game probably. So add that to the list for my 3DS ambitions of not hacking it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Switch Sports play test only lets you select a randomized character. You can’t use Miis this weekend. You can’t actually play until 5 pm pst but you can look around the menus.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Spacebump posted:

Switch Sports play test only lets you select a randomized character. You can’t use Miis this weekend. You can’t actually play until 5 pm pst but you can look around the menus.
I thought it was 7-7:45 tonight.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Palmtree Panic posted:

Fun fact/sad fact: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is the only Square Enix game released on the GBA virtual console.
Next up was Sword of Mana and they just wanted to bury that poo poo.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Libluini posted:

How does that law even make sense? So if someone carefully preserves a download code for his grandchildren, they can sue the company 100+ years later if they can't redeem it? That seems kind of open-ended, so I'm assuming you're over-simplifying and there is a time limit on the books

Federal law in the US protects most gift cards sold at face value from expiration for at least five years, but there are catches. There can still be fees for inactivity within that time period (after two years in Ohio, for example). But an eShop card can still be redeemed and spent on Switch games. What are the laws regarding existing balances related to services that end (if you can have money linked to your 3DS, but not your general Nintendo account), I have no clue.

I don't think a download code would be subject to them though based on federal guidelines.

quote:

Additionally, the federal restrictions do not apply to certificates that are for a certain service or experience, such as a spa treatment, or solely for admission to an event or venue, such as an amusement park ticket, when such certificates are not issued in a specified amount. On the other hand, if a card for a service states a specified amount or specifies a monetary value, it is subject to the rules, unless other exemptions apply.
The purchased code is for exchange for a game, not a specific dollar amount. A code purchased at $60 does not give someone a credit if they wait until the game drops in price to redeem it. If someone bought a gift certificate for a free pizza, but the restaurant stops selling pizzas a year later, do you sue the restaurant?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Palmtree Panic posted:

Yes, Tactics Advance. Pretty surprising the PS1 game Final Fantasy Tactics isn't on Virtual Console.

Actually, it was the only GBA game Square put on the service in NA/EU. In Japan they added the GBA ports of the Final Fantasy games as well as a Chocobo spinoff game. So it's even sadder!

Also, Sega didn't put out any of their GBA games on the service in NA/EU, while in Japan they added Sonic Advance 1-3, Chu Chu Rocket, Shining Soul 1-2 and Shining Force

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 18, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
GBA? never heard of it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It would be weird to have an opinion on the closure of the 3DS eShop and not the Wii U eShop simply because you only owned one of the two systems. More generally, it's possible to be unhappy with the decision without being personally affected by it.

Heck, plenty of folks were rightfully mad when Nintendo would release a port of a Wii U game on switch and temporarily take it off the Wii U eshop without warning. That poo poo sucked!

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

GBA? never heard of it

Wait another 2 years & an extra $30 for it to be part of Switch online.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Postman posted:

This worked, thanks! Got it for Switch for $6 CDN! :toot:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
If you've never played Pandora's Tower, get it now on wiiu eshop for $20. It's a wii game (part of project rainfall) so you need to use the wiimote and nunchuk. Great 3D Zelda style dungeons, then you go home to your body horror waifu. Very good game, and physical copies are raising in price.

Only issue is a know bug that occurs when you're about 85% through the game, where it fails to load a level and freezes the console. But there are fixes for it, so don't panic

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
So I finally beat Earthbound. I had picked up a fair bit of that game through cultural osmosis, but no one told me the game ended with you, the player, as a diegetic entity, killing an evil fetus through the power of really wanting it to go away.

what the heck that rules

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The older eshop shut downs are just another form of weapon durability. Nintendo, knock it off!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

So I finally beat Earthbound. I had picked up a fair bit of that game through cultural osmosis, but no one told me the game ended with you, the player, as a diegetic entity, killing an evil fetus through the power of really wanting it to go away.

what the heck that rules

Thankfully the game is so weird in general that a lot of the weirder stuff falls through the cracks. Probably also helps that its status as "niche weird RPG with heart" has been kinda overtaken by Undertale at this point.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

XCOM 2 deal is sold out both on Amazon and their own website. One day, I will finally play this six year old game.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

LODGE NORTH posted:

XCOM 2 deal is sold out both on Amazon and their own website. One day, I will finally play this six year old game.

steam has the entire xcom collection for super cheap ($20):

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/20109/XCOM_Ultimate_Collection/

here's xcom2 specifically ($4):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/268500/XCOM_2/

i've been told they're way better managed on pc too, so seems like a no-brainer.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How do I play this switch sports trial. It says it’s not active but it was supposed to start at 9pm EST

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's 7pm PST so in an hour.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

There's a real good XCOM2 LP going on right now, too, if you're kinda interested but can't afford the time/money or are still on the fence about the gameplay.

It's the kind of game where it's okay if some things are spoiled a little since you're expected to do replays.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987940&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I keep getting communication errors before the sport starts. The music at the Spocco Square menu is like Wii sports with a bunch of caffeine.

Every time it has attempted to load the sword fighting game from random.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Glad I’m not the only one…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

It is working now. The sword fighting game is fun. If you try to take two players online from one system, it lets one of you play vs an opponent. Not both at least in that sport.