Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I mean as someone who watches anime occasionally, I'm just sick to death of iconic scores combining sweeping orchestration with otherworldly vocals and chanting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

HenryEx posted:

It's pretty easy to tell tbh. Like, it's hard to find a more anime game than Devil May Cry - it's about a white haired shirtless anime pretty boi with a huge sword

so to get a feel for what music is anime, just listen to its soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onwIcZt0-g4

Peak anime right there.

See, you say that but I dunno, it doesn't seem that big a sword.

It's certainly no Moonlight or Fume Knight Greatsword. But, once it becomes the Devil Sword Dante I agree though.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yeah it's melodramatic and exaggerated. It's a shorthand for stereotypes in the genre/culture. Something being anime is not a descriptor of quality.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Metal Gear Solid Revengeance is anime as gently caress. I love it.

Fire Emblem is anime as gently caress. I hate it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

rodbeard posted:

I'm willing to bet everyone reading that post knows exactly what it means and good or bad is going to come down to how you feel about anime.

Very doubtful. Some people use "anime" to describe a visual style, some people use it to describe a set of narrative tropes, and some people use it as a pejorative for anything Japanese they don't like (which occasionally leads to situations where e.g. Persona 4 and Howl's Moving Castle are described as "not anime.")

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

very simple solution - ban the concept of anime

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

A good rules of thumb is that if any character blushes at any point, it is anime as gently caress and anyone consuming that media should be shunned

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

tbh I'm not real wild on the idea of concepts in general

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The only thing as annoying as anime posters constantly posting anime is the anti anime posters posting anti anime for no reason after nobody asked.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

You have my overly large sword.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The problem with banning anime is that would mean we cant have hilarious "kawaii" cat girl skins in call of duty and whatever else "realistic" fps.

There is nothing funnier than pissing off ultra serious cod bros with out of place anime.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Imma be honest, i'd be completely fine living in a world without waifu plane skins and cat ears headphones

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Phigs posted:

On the other hand, video guides where the person doesn't talk can gently caress off forever. Don't make me read your guide in a video. That's the worst of both worlds and I cannot believe it exists.

Sure, I mean some talk and a little running commentary is fine and usually a plus. It's just the whole "look how zany I am and how SICK this game is! It's SOOO sick. Sick. You see that SICK move Spiderman did?!? Oh poo poo oh oh poo poo what's this??? Oh poo poo. SICK! Please like and subscribe!" and they just never shut the gently caress up.

It's a little like movie reviewers that spend 3/4 of their time doing sketches and trying to be zany instead of, well, reviewing the actual loving movie and simply chiming in a few times with some well placed humor and footage that supports the jokes they're aiming at.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

BiggerBoat posted:

Sure, I mean some talk and a little running commentary is fine and usually a plus. It's just the whole "look how zany I am and how SICK this game is! It's SOOO sick. Sick. You see that SICK move Spiderman did?!? Oh poo poo oh oh poo poo what's this??? Oh poo poo. SICK! Please like and subscribe!" and they just never shut the gently caress up.

It's a little like movie reviewers that spend 3/4 of their time doing sketches and trying to be zany instead of, well, reviewing the actual loving movie and simply chiming in a few times with some well placed humor and footage that supports the jokes they're aiming at.

Yeah I get what you mean. There's a sweet spot where they quickly tell you what you want with maybe a little color and nothing else. Both directions outside of that suck.

And I too despise skits in youtube videos oh my god. It's especially grating in a movie critique video where they trash the movie while putting on a skit that is way worse in every way. "The acting is really bad" oh buddy, you should try watching your skits sometime.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

SkeletonHero posted:

I don't know if there were ever different plans for her embarrassing personality, but concept art Sera was buff and tan and didn't look like she had a sinus infection, and I have no idea why they settled on the design they did.

Frostbite is a lovely boondoggle engine and even worse at rpgs, so there's a good chance Bioware literally didn't have the resources to not make every other character look awful.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Batman Arkham City: I know Catwoman wants to show off her large breasts, but she should pull up the zipper on her bodysuit all the way because it is dangerously cold outside.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Mamkute posted:

Batman Arkham City: I know Catwoman wants to show off her large breasts, but she should pull up the zipper on her bodysuit all the way because it is dangerously cold outside.

https://twitter.com/juanbuis/status/1199651576236957697?s=21

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

"Someone"

How hard would it have been to properly credit the person?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

credburn posted:

"Someone"

And I suppose you have the real life name of every supervillain ready to pull out at a moment's notice??

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
horizon forbidden west is once again making you hunt critters for equipment upgrades. they expect me to shoot squirrels. squirrels! i've only killed one squirrel so far and that was because my mount accidentally stepped on it!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

"Hail Aloy, savior of our civilization!

Oh, you want a fast travel pack? Well that's gonna cost you"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

StandardVC10 posted:

Very doubtful. Some people use "anime" to describe a visual style, some people use it to describe a set of narrative tropes, and some people use it as a pejorative for anything Japanese they don't like (which occasionally leads to situations where e.g. Persona 4 and Howl's Moving Castle are described as "not anime.")

all of these usages are correct
denying ww2 warcrimes is anime as hell

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

all of these usages are correct
denying ww2 warcrimes is anime as hell

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

credburn posted:

"Someone"

Don't ask me, I don't know who it was.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

someone posted:

"Someone"

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Cythereal posted:

She's also the most reactionary and conservative person on the entire cast.

did you not recruit vivienne

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

moonmazed posted:

did you not recruit vivienne

Vivienne supports the status quo because it benefits her. Sera supports the status quo because she's incapable of conceptualising anything else.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

"Hail Aloy, savior of our civilization!

Oh, you want a fast travel pack? Well that's gonna cost you"
Which game was it where the protagonists called the endgame merchant out on that same thing, and he'd reply "well I fully trust you'll save the world and then where will I be if I've neglected doing business"? Final Fantasy X?

Vic posted:

Yeah it's melodramatic and exaggerated. It's a shorthand for stereotypes in the genre/culture. Something being anime is not a descriptor of quality.
I like the notion that "anime" implies "terribly melodramatic, exaggerated and emotional, unlike our good American entertainment"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Sera does get slightly better in the DLC and IIRC even apologizes if you’re an elf and she rubbed it in your face that your mythology was all a lie

But I respect BioWare just making the decision to give you a party member with no likable qualities of any kind. Even Solas has his moments

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

horizon forbidden west is once again making you hunt critters for equipment upgrades. they expect me to shoot squirrels. squirrels! i've only killed one squirrel so far and that was because my mount accidentally stepped on it!

Not game related, but I have a picture of my grandfather in front of wall that's just covered in dead squirrels. Apparently there was big bucks to be made out of squirrel fur back in his days.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well same in Horizon, really.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Which game was it where the protagonists called the endgame merchant out on that same thing, and he'd reply "well I fully trust you'll save the world and then where will I be if I've neglected doing business"? Final Fantasy X?

I like the notion that "anime" implies "terribly melodramatic, exaggerated and emotional, unlike our good American entertainment"

I'm not american, but saying something is "very american" is also descriptive. American stereotype exists.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Lone Badger posted:

Vivienne supports the status quo because it benefits her. Sera supports the status quo because she's incapable of conceptualising anything else.

This. Vivienne wants power and the existing power structure is to her benefit.

Sera is a latent mage who's so profoundly screwed up in the head that it's left her incapable of using magic.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah, that was the vendor on your airship in FF X.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

somepartsareme posted:

I mean as someone who watches anime occasionally, I'm just sick to death of iconic scores combining sweeping orchestration with otherworldly vocals and chanting.

I honestly can't tell if you're shitposting or not but like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_MW65XxS7s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghd3CkBwv9M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFnazAsMOQI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK5kg6U9yVg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N96g6ehwscY

'iconic scores combining sweeping orchestration with otherworldly/operatic vocals and chanting' is so much of a trope in anime and anime related media that the only thing more stereotypical would be like
straight up J-pop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vedbGnhxNUg they even did it in an anime about street racing

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Vivienne kicks rear end because her introduction was freezing some random guy who talked poo poo to me, and when I told her I wanted him dead she didn’t even blink an eye before she slit his throat.

That is how you become a permanent member of my party.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'll always appreciate the final shop in Lunar Silver Star Story being free and full of endgame good stuff and the shopkeeper is like "yeah take whatever you need, and when you save the world tell em I stocked you"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, that was the vendor on your airship in FF X.

He think he even gives you poo poo on the airship as it is getting attacked. It is fantastic.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Horizon Forbidden West added in actual underwater swimming mechanics, and it's exactly as annoying as I expected. I never like it in these games, it's not fun even when they give you something to negate the oxygen meter element, and I find it a downright slog before then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Captain Hygiene posted:

Horizon Forbidden West added in actual underwater swimming mechanics, and it's exactly as annoying as I expected. I never like it in these games, it's not fun even when they give you something to negate the oxygen meter element, and I find it a downright slog before then.

I don’t like swimming in games but I also don’t like touching water and immediately drowning, so I think I might just be impossible to please.