Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bruceski posted:

Cleared P1S last night. This is my first time doing savages, and it's neat to figure out what I can improve by taking all the different resources and putting them together.

"Okay, xivanalysis says I had 85% GCD use, but ffxivtracker says 99% uptime so I always hit something but sometimes I got flustered and hit an oGCD instead of a GCD. Looking at the full breakdown there's an occasional missed one here or there, but the only large gap is at 7 minutes. Akhmorning has a timeline... oh THAT mechanic, where I needed to swap and my partner was slow to notice and we both panicked. That explains it."

I wish some of the xivanalysis notes had "how much does this actually matter" though. Apparently I'm hitting some buffs in my 2-min window the wrong way round (it says to use Radiant Finale and Battle Voice after Raging Strikes, I was hitting them first because I figure group buffs take priority), and I guess it considers that major enough to have a specific callout but do I need to care?

The reason you want to use Radiant Finale and Battle Voice after Raging Strikes is because they have shorter durations and you want to maximize the number of GCDs you have where all three are up. It's worth taking into account for sure, but there's larger optimizations you could be making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
"Do I need to care?" is highly subjective and only becomes more subjective with gear and your personal goal. Do you want to clear the first two fights by 6.2? You can probably ignore basically every optimization beyond "press a GCD" and you'll be fine because your gear will have made DPS checks trivial. Do you want to get a blue or purple parse on every savage fight? You probably should care, yes.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

If you are using Raging Strikes first you are probably either using the wrong opener (and messing up your/your party's buff alignment for the rest of the fight) or delaying Raging Strikes after the first use. Neither of these are great. With almost every job on the same 2 minute burst cycle, maintaining buff alignment is one of the most important things you can do beyond just better uptime (which is the number one way to improve damage).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Arist posted:

The reason you want to use Radiant Finale and Battle Voice after Raging Strikes is because they have shorter durations and you want to maximize the number of GCDs you have where all three are up. It's worth taking into account for sure, but there's larger optimizations you could be making.

That would explain it. I was only thinking about the cooldowns not the durations. And I agree, not a priority, I was confused why it mattered at all. There's the reason.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Theris posted:

I've been leveling some DPS with squadrons and I do not understand why people like them more than trusts. Sure they do a bigger share of damage than trusts once they've leveled tactics a bit and can theoretically get through dungeons quicker, but otherwise they're worse in every way. The most annoying thing is having to manage tank enmity with Engage because they won't pick up every mob in a pack, and sometimes will lose enmity on things they already picked up. Trust tanks will pick up anything that gets near them and that's that.

The thing where boss mechanics that target non-tanks will only target you can be pretty obnoxious too, depending on the fight. Tioman is annoying as hell.

Because it is THEIR squadron that THEY customized, versus just the scions being foisted on you.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

WrightOfWay posted:

If you are using Raging Strikes first you are probably either using the wrong opener (and messing up your/your party's buff alignment for the rest of the fight) or delaying Raging Strikes after the first use. Neither of these are great. With almost every job on the same 2 minute burst cycle, maintaining buff alignment is one of the most important things you can do beyond just better uptime (which is the number one way to improve damage).
The opener from The Balance has Raging Strikes (Bard's personal DPS buff) with Wanderer's Minuet on the first GCD, Empyreal Arrow and Bloodletter on second, Radiant Finale (party damage buff) and Battle Voice (party Direct Hit buff) on third GCD. Do you have a different opener or did you confuse Raging Strikes for one of the party buffs

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Madmarker posted:

Because it is THEIR squadron that THEY customized, versus just the scions being foisted on you.

You can't put Thancred in a ghost costume or Y'shtola in a bikini in trusts, but you can dress up your squadron however you want.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 18, 2022

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Yoshi-P please let me put Thancred, G'raha, Urianger, and Estinien in 2B glam. tia

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Gruckles posted:

Yoshi-P please let me put Thancred, G'raha, Urianger, and Estinien in 2B glam. tia

With the hair.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

iPodschun posted:

The opener from The Balance has Raging Strikes (Bard's personal DPS buff) with Wanderer's Minuet on the first GCD, Empyreal Arrow and Bloodletter on second, Radiant Finale (party damage buff) and Battle Voice (party Direct Hit buff) on third GCD. Do you have a different opener or did you confuse Raging Strikes for one of the party buffs

I meant Raging Strikes second, whoops.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

iPodschun posted:

I assumed they meant to say Radiant Finale, because you definitely don’t want to be sitting on max coda Finale for any period of time when WM comes back up and you want RS to always come first

Edit: welp, that answered that

MechaX fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 18, 2022

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

HackensackBackpack posted:

You can't put Thancred in a ghost costume or Y'shtola in a bikini in trusts, but you can dress up your squadron however you want.

Exactly, personal expression is a huge part of why people enjoy the game, and getting to play dress up with 8* more people than just yourself is a huge draw. Then getting to play with your dolls that you dressed up is awesome.

*-I think its eight but I honestly can't remember.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Additional fun part of looking at my parses:

Spot the point where I said "oh crap we're getting close to enrage just hit something and pray" and my rotation fell apart.

Once you get past the initial hurdle of not thinking of yourself as terrible for every mistake, it's neat to analyze this stuff.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 18, 2022

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Gruckles posted:

:hmmyes:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mr. Nice! posted:

Your issue is you didn’t get hit by the opposite color. The first blast to hit you will give you a debuff that matches the color of the eyes. If you get hit by the same color when you have that debuff, it fucks you up. The gimmick is if you have a blue debuff, get blasted by red eyes and vice versa.

yeah i thought i was following the gimmick, is what i've been trying to say - got blue, align with tethered red (or so i thought), get stunned anyway. 99% sure at this point i just misaligned myself, cos the problem hasn't repeated

vv see edit, thought i was aligned with a statue that was opposite color & tethered

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 18, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ciaphas posted:

yeah i thought i was following the gimmick, is what i've been trying to say - got blue, align with red (or so i thought), get stunned anyway. 99% sure at this point i just misaligned myself, cos the problem hasn't repeated

You may have been aligned with the right colors on one side, but not the side where the blast came from. Gotta look at at the color of the side it connects to as they are often the opposite of the other side.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Gruckles posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, NG+ should let you put a glamour plate on every major NPC when you start it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

W.T. Fits posted:

It's called The Stigma Dreamscape, and it has one of the best premises for why you're there to begin with.

"This alien supercomputer from Omega's homeworld is gearing up to invade your world, so we're going to upload you and your friends into its mind and create a memory of you beating the poo poo out of it to make it reevaluate that decision." :allears:

lol yeah it's such a good conceit :discourse:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Make BLM leylines a group buff.

We go together.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Argas posted:

Make BLM leylines a group buff.

We go together.

Group buff, but also a barrier

The barrier doesn't prevent damage, but it does prevent you from leaving

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Ley Lines as a group buff would loving rule

I'd kill so many pubbies by dropping ley lines in spots that are soon to become death zones

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

gently caress that, Ley Lines are my solo chill spot, no one is invited

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Ciaphas posted:

lol yeah it's such a good conceit :discourse:

It’s a shame they didn’t do any inception jokes

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Leylines should reduce the rest of the party's damage as an excuse to push the potencies on BLM actions even higher.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Every other character standing in a Ley Lines should reduce the casting BLM's potency by 10%.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't understand chocobo breeding at all but it appears through dumb luck that my pedigree 6 girl I just acquired while grinding for that chocobo hat has excellent stats. My new racer has 3/4/4/4/3 for her stars. I want to seize the opportunity here to ensure the next couple of her line are at least as good, maybe even score me a nice 100% 4 stars all over chocobo and do those challenges I hear get you a rare barding.

How do I do that???

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I finally got around to doing Orbonne Monastery when it came up in alliance roulette today and I am a big fan thunder god's endless barrage of extremely FFT voice lines

also I think I lucked out because I'd heard that one was pretty rough but almost everyone seemed to know all the mechanics (except me but it went ok)

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

MechaX posted:

gently caress that, Ley Lines are my solo chill spot, no one is invited

Precisely. Please don't stand in them in the event that you'll lure an AOE my way! And DEFINITELY don't drag your dam chasing AOEs through my leylines either! (Looking at you, Urianger! Dang but they've put some effort into making your Trust members flub mechanics in a believable fashion...)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

mikemil828 posted:

It’s a shame they didn’t do any inception jokes

Used them in Bozja already.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Gruckles posted:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Help Im Alive posted:

I finally got around to doing Orbonne Monastery when it came up in alliance roulette today and I am a big fan thunder god's endless barrage of extremely FFT voice lines

also I think I lucked out because I'd heard that one was pretty rough but almost everyone seemed to know all the mechanics (except me but it went ok)

It got nerfed a lot since launch so it's never been quite as rough as it was initially.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
FYI: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/svoq3k/a_message_to_the_ffxiv_community_by_alex_moukala

If anyone is passable at singing. Thinking of doing it myself, I love the music community from this game.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Allarion posted:

It got nerfed a lot since launch so it's never been quite as rough as it was initially.

It can still go pretty badly if your group has a lot of sprouts. Especially TG Cid, I've have many runs where that either takes forever or wipes multiple times.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

pour one out for og tg cid

a real homie, the biggest vibe check in all of stormblood

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mG8SrL4X1s

Come, show me MOAR.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

agrias had a better "The hearts of men are black with corruption and must needs be cleansed!" but this one's real good too, and he clearly wins on the rest

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I always liked "I call out to the skies and tremble as the brilliance of a thousand bolts blinds mine enemies and tears their flesh asunder!" because it just keeps going.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://www.twitch.tv/finalfantasyxiv

Live letter is going to start in half an hour, Yoshi-P is telling a story about how he accidentally scared a new employee's mother

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Arist posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/finalfantasyxiv

Live letter is going to start in half an hour, Yoshi-P is telling a story about how he accidentally scared a new employee's mother

Youtube link too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRpdIL7_NII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

pour one out for og tg cid

a real homie, the biggest vibe check in all of stormblood

"IMPETUOUS FOOLS!"