Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

styls trill epic posted:

what is PDP?

I am playing dirt 4 not connected to power and the battery is holding up well. Fans have not turned on. This laptop is absolutely rip roaring.

Third party controller brand that is actually on par with first party (at least my bonetroller is)

I've got one of these, no complaints:
https://www.amazon.com/Stealth-Wire...ps%2C149&sr=8-5

You'll want to find a non scalper price though

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Kilometers Davis posted:

What resolution/scaling do you all use on your MacBook Airs? I use the default scaling which looks like 1440x900. I've thought about using the one that looks like 1280x800 just to be a little easier on the eyes (i need to make an eye appointment soon too lol) but that just seems wrong in my head.

1280x800 is frustratingly small these days. I wanted a 1440x900 panel back in the 2010 MBP days.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bob Morales posted:

1280x800 is frustratingly small these days. I wanted a 1440x900 panel back in the 2010 MBP days.

Yeah I figured. I'm not too picky about screen real estate but the one place I need it is Logic and Photo stuff and that can get pretty cramped anyway.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah I figured. I'm not too picky about screen real estate but the one place I need it is Logic and Photo stuff and that can get pretty cramped anyway.

From time to time I crank it to 'looks like' 1920x1200

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

Mister Facetious posted:

Third party controller brand that is actually on par with first party (at least my bonetroller is)

I've got one of these, no complaints:
https://www.amazon.com/Stealth-Wire...ps%2C149&sr=8-5

You'll want to find a non scalper price though

I actually have an old "wireless" xbox 360 controller somewhere. I presume it's bluetooth. I should try to find it and see if it even is bluetooth. At the time I wasn't even aware of bluetooth and just thought it was wireless controller for my xbox lol.....better days

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

styls trill epic posted:

I actually have an old "wireless" xbox 360 controller somewhere. I presume it's bluetooth. I should try to find it and see if it even is bluetooth. At the time I wasn't even aware of bluetooth and just thought it was wireless controller for my xbox lol.....better days

It’s not.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

styls trill epic posted:

Xbox controllers use a proprietary wifi protocol

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

Mister Facetious posted:

Xbox controllers use a proprietary wifi protocol

*smacks head* fail

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Sony and Microsoft publish how-tos for using their controllers on your PC/Mac. Third party XBox controllers labelled "XInput" will work just as fine as offiicial. There are companies like 8bitdo that do real cute retro controllers. PDP/Hyperkin/Hori/etc will do various modern retro things.

Definitely worth it for avoiding key rollover.

styls trill epic posted:

It's not even USB. Wired XB360 controllers ruled the roost for a long time because micro USB connections on PS4/XBO were prone to breakage. PS3 controllers can be made to work on anything with a little fussing, and the fatter mini connection is less prone to breaking. PS4 and *second generation* XBO controllers in addition to PS5 and XBwhateveriscurrent controllers are all bluetooth and will work with your Mac/iPad/iPhone/probably-a-fridge/etc.etc.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Xbox 360 and early Xbox One controllers used a proprietory wifi. After a while all the Xbox One controllers included actual Bluetooth. Any new one you buy at the store should be good.

I highly recommend the 8bitdo Pro 2 controller. Fully programmable using official software or app. It even has a physical toggle on the bottom for being able to switch between devices. One of them even being a Mac mode.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
All XBO controllers also work OK over wired micro-USB if a cable isn't a problem

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

MrBond posted:

All XBO controllers also work OK over wired micro-USB if a cable isn't a problem

The problem is my beautiful rig doesn't have that port

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

styls trill epic posted:

The problem is my beautiful rig doesn't have that port

New Xbox controllers are usb c

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Just use another keyboard. I can't imagine playing Dirt on a laptop with a controller.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

~Coxy posted:

Just use another keyboard. I can't imagine playing Dirt on a laptop with a controller.

Why not OP? I have an external monitor and was gonna play on that. with a controller. ??? whats wrong with that?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Probably some form of elitism.

On that note, stop saying OP.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Apologies if this is a perennial topic; I couldn't find anything in the recent pages.

I got one of the new M1 MBPs, and though I am thrilled with it for almost everything (it compiles all of Qt in like... 5 minutes) one thing seems to be just awful, and that's text blurriness.

On the laptop display itself, text in the console looks great. When I extend the display to an iPad Air, it looks great. When I connect an external display through DisplayPort (a Dell UltraSharp U2415) or HDMI (some cheapo 1080p monitor) text is super blurry and reading it gives me a headache. Which sucks, because when I'm at the desk I want to use the external monitors as the sole displays.

I've tried changing the antialiasing and font smoothing but it never looks good. It's super obnoxious because if I load up RDP into Windows on those monitors, the text is back to being perfect, and if I load up a Linux VM, same deal. It's just text Mac OS renders.

Is there anything I can do on the OS side? I found a suggestion to change AppleFontSmoothing, but that just makes it different -- not really better.

If not, is this some conspiracy to make me purchase Retina displays from Apple? If not, which non-Apple displays render text without looking like poo poo?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

vote_no posted:

Apologies if this is a perennial topic; I couldn't find anything in the recent pages.

I got one of the new M1 MBPs, and though I am thrilled with it for almost everything (it compiles all of Qt in like... 5 minutes) one thing seems to be just awful, and that's text blurriness.

On the laptop display itself, text in the console looks great. When I extend the display to an iPad Air, it looks great. When I connect an external display through DisplayPort (a Dell UltraSharp U2415) or HDMI (some cheapo 1080p monitor) text is super blurry and reading it gives me a headache. Which sucks, because when I'm at the desk I want to use the external monitors as the sole displays.

I've tried changing the antialiasing and font smoothing but it never looks good. It's super obnoxious because if I load up RDP into Windows on those monitors, the text is back to being perfect, and if I load up a Linux VM, same deal. It's just text Mac OS renders.

Is there anything I can do on the OS side? I found a suggestion to change AppleFontSmoothing, but that just makes it different -- not really better.

If not, is this some conspiracy to make me purchase Retina displays from Apple? If not, which non-Apple displays render text without looking like poo poo?

what cables are you using? Graphics that look “retina”/4K/whatever on a color-calibrated screen with enough resolution obviously won’t look as sharp or accurate on a less capable display, but it is decidedly not normal for text to ever look so bad that it hurts to read.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

If this is your first ever Mac, part of it is probably just not being used to how macOS renders fonts at what used to be standard DPIs which differs from what it sounds like you're used to from Windows/Linux. Extensive forums arguments have been waged over which is better. Partly you'll get used to it, but also the higher the DPI of the display the less the difference matters.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I promise you it’s not to sell you Retina displays from Apple since at present this is a massive hole in the product lineup.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

vote_no posted:

Different might be the best you can get, and might need to restart apps for changes to take effect if it's like before. Hell I thought they got rid of that setting, but basically there's always been a philosophical difference in their text antialiasing implementations. Windows (and I guess Linux here) use it more for sharpness, Apple goes more for render accuracy, which is basically going to be blurrier on non retina screens. Subpixel AA (which that setting controlled before) helps but I vaguely recall them talking about getting rid of it a while ago, for reasons I forget (may or may have not been "gently caress non retina displays!").

But besides that stuff, there could be a thing related to wrong color space which can make things look worse than they should but forget the details on that, I think it was specific to hooking up with HDMI though. Color calibration could affect things in that sense too, or various monitor settings at the monitor hardware level like if it has sharpness or overdrive functions or something that can affect quality.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I had to really play with external monitor settings on my M1 Max MPB. I have a 2K60Hz display that the computer was somehow sending a 4K30Hz signal to.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Maybe it’s just time to get a decent 4K monitor, then. Sounds like any good one will be fine.

Or I could just spend all my desk time remoting into Linux or Windows, I guess!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

vote_no posted:

Maybe it’s just time to get a decent 4K monitor, then. Sounds like any good one will be fine.

We like Dells and LGs ITT

Also they can be sensitive to cable type/quality (generally the better the cable the better off you are). If you’re having problems consider playing with TB3/USB4/DP/HDMI cables and adapters (and asking about specific ones online).

To give an example, a particular run of USB C cables that used to ship with various 4K Dell monitors didn’t play nice with Macs for whatever reason, and there were pages of Mac/Dell support and forum posts about it.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

vote_no posted:

Check to see if the Dell screen is receiving the video signal as YPbPr instead of RGB. There's a fairly common issue with older screens (particularly Dells) and Macs where the EDID doesn't negotiate properly and the Mac ends up thinking the display is a TV and sends the wrong colourspace info which causes all the text to be blurry muck, often with weird coloured outlines around them.

You used to be able to fix it by using this script to generate a patched EDID file but I don't know if that still works with the new security stuff in recent macOS releases.

e: I've had better luck with LG screens than Dell on Macs to the point where I only use LG stuff at home now. The 2019 Dell 27" I have at work is pretty reliable but most of the others I've used I needed to patch the EDID to get it to work.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mercurius posted:

Check to see if the Dell screen is receiving the video signal as YPbPr instead of RGB. There's a fairly common issue with older screens (particularly Dells) and Macs where the EDID doesn't negotiate properly and the Mac ends up thinking the display is a TV and sends the wrong colourspace info which causes all the text to be blurry muck, often with weird coloured outlines around them.

You used to be able to fix it by using this script to generate a patched EDID file but I don't know if that still works with the new security stuff in recent macOS releases.

e: I've had better luck with LG screens than Dell on Macs to the point where I only use LG stuff at home now. The 2019 Dell 27" I have at work is pretty reliable but most of the others I've used I needed to patch the EDID to get it to work.

If it’s the same problem I’m thinking about, can’t you also get around it by using a TB (or I think DP) cable?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Mercurius posted:

This is surprising to me, because I've used several Dells over the years with my Macs and haven't had any problems. In fact I currently use a U3821DW with my M1 MBP and it works fine using the USB-C cable for power, display, and hub between the monitor and MBP.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

SourKraut posted:

This is surprising to me, because I've used several Dells over the years with my Macs and haven't had any problems. In fact I currently use a U3821DW with my M1 MBP and it works fine using the USB-C cable for power, display, and hub between the monitor and MBP.
I’ve personally seen dozens of Macs exhibit this behaviour with 20 or more models of Dell monitors at work :shrug:

Just throw “Mac Dell YPbPr” into google and you’ll get hundreds of results, it’s unfortunately a fairly common issue.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I guess, does anyone happen to have a strong recommendation for a specific monitor that works well with the new M1 MBPs, has accurate color reproduction (for photography, which is why I’ve gone with UltraSharps for a decade) and on which console text will look sharp?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

imagine being the smug loser trying post a lmgtfy link in 2022

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

vote_no posted:

I guess, does anyone happen to have a strong recommendation for a specific monitor that works well with the new M1 MBPs, has accurate color reproduction (for photography, which is why I’ve gone with UltraSharps for a decade) and on which console text will look sharp?
I'm not sure exactly which colour space you're going for but LG make some fairly good 27" IPS monitors on desk mounted arms with USB-C like the 27QN880-B that are 99% sRGB capable. I haven't personally used that one but I've used the older 27GL850-B with my work 14" M1 MBP while WFH and haven't noticed any issues.

If you're feeling spendy and want DCI-P3 capability instead of sRGB there's also the LG Ultrafine 5k 27" which is 99% DCI-P3 and I can personally attest to working well with an M1 Pro but it's pretty expensive.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

styls trill epic posted:

Why not OP? I have an external monitor and was gonna play on that. with a controller. ??? whats wrong with that?

Your original question sounded to me like you were fine with playing on a keyboard, so the easiest option is just to use a USB kb.
Playing on an external monitor using the internal kb sounds bizarre.
I'm sure a controller is fine though. I was exaggerating.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mercurius posted:

If you're feeling spendy and want DCI-P3 capability instead of sRGB there's also the LG Ultrafine 5k 27" which is 99% DCI-P3 and I can personally attest to working well with an M1 Pro but it's pretty expensive.

I also can personally attest to the Ultrafine 5K working well with a 16" M1, and presumably so does the smaller and cheaper 4K model.

To expand a bit, the upsides to these displays: they're exactly what a modern set of Apple Thunderbolt Displays would be. LG's the LCD panel supplier for the 27" iMac, so the Ultrafine 5K is in fact the same panel, with the same 10bpc color and DCI-P3 (as you mention). They have a Thunderbolt/USB-C interface which can power your notebook at ~90W, and it responds to the brightness keys on Apple keyboards.

The downsides are a superset of what they would be if it was branded by Apple: expensive, works best with Macs, literally no controls or OSD or even a power button. The superset part is that the design and fit and finish are very much LG, not Apple, and the AR coating is garbo compared to a 27" iMac.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Took my MBP14 in to the fruit stand to get it "appraised" so I could buy AppleCare+ that I forgot to do within 60 days. For some reason I thought you had like a year to buy it but I don't think that's been the case for a long long time, if ever. Thankfully consumer protection laws make it possible still :lol:

Not really a post or question but I guess reminding folks it's an option if they're interested in pursuing it, and have forgotten about the 60-day thing like me.

In other news, doesn't seem to be an Airpods thread in IYG so I'll ask in here. Anyone have weird battery and charging issues with their latest-gen non-pro airpods? I popped mine in this morning on a walk and the left one made the DUN DUN DUN out of power chime and powered down. I resigned myself to listening to podcasts only on the right airpod for the next hour and when I got home I popped the left into charging case only to find out it's reporting 100%.

And then there's times where I'll pull the airpod out of its case and the iPad shows it at like 10% on the battery widget and I'm like "ok I guess maybe I got some gunk on the connectors??" wipe it off and put it back to let it charge, but it's so bizarre because now I don't know what's real and what's just misreported. I never really had these problems with my 1gen Airpods :/

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 20, 2022

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Martytoof posted:

Took my MBP14 in to the fruit stand to get it "appraised" so I could buy AppleCare+ that I forgot to do within 60 days. For some reason I thought you had like a year to buy it but I don't think that's been the case for a long long time, if ever. Thankfully consumer protection laws make it possible still :lol:

Not really a post or question but I guess reminding folks it's an option if they're interested in pursuing it, and have forgotten about the 60-day thing like me.

In other news, doesn't seem to be an Airpods thread in IYG so I'll ask in here. Anyone have weird battery and charging issues with their latest-gen non-pro airpods? I popped mine in this morning on a walk and the left one made the DUN DUN DUN out of power chime and powered down. I resigned myself to listening to podcasts only on the right airpod for the next hour and when I got home I popped the left into charging case only to find out it's reporting 100%.

And then there's times where I'll pull the airpod out of its case and the iPad shows it at like 10% on the battery widget and I'm like "ok I guess maybe I got some gunk on the connectors??" wipe it off and put it back to let it charge, but it's so bizarre because now I don't know what's real and what's just misreported. I never really had these problems with my 1gen Airpods :/

i don't have the smolpods but i did pick up a pair of the powerbeats pro at auction, and aside from not hitting the contacts at first (i wasn't pressing the left one down hard enough) i find there's an occasional bug where i can't get one to respond until i put it back into the case then remove it again. i dunno if a similar thing is happening with you but it does seem like there are still some occasional bugs with their headphone chips.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
The only "fix" I've found for that on the PBP is to remove them from the case as simultaneously as possible and put them into your ears as simultaneously as possible. Still happens occasionally but helps. Super annoying but you get good at doing it with both hands at once I guess that it's muscle memory now :shrug:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
yeah for the most part i don't need to do that; i'm very much one at a time and it works fine the vast majority of the time.

my biggest issue with them is that despite having two or three buttons on each earpod if you let them turn off (say, take them out and set them down for a while) you cannot turn them on without putting them in the case. it's dumb as poo poo.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Martytoof posted:

I have the same issue with pro airpods, it's oxidation/debris on the charging contacts, you need to do some optical check on both earpods and the container to see if there are any signs. I have started doing the dock top flip every time i get them out to see if they got charged or not since the supposedly effortless charging is unreliable.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Well, 2015 MacBook Pro 13” (plebeian Non-Touch Bar version) has finally bit the dust. A particularly unreliable gen 1 machine, which has had its keyboard, battery, and screen replaced free of charge by Apple at various points in its life. Requiscat in pieces.

Looking at a refurb M1 MacBook Air. Would like to upgrade on the SSD at least from my previous machine, which was definitely getting in the way of things. Apple has the 16GB/1TB models for a 360 CAD discount compared to new. I’ve been totally out of the loop on Apple hardware, thought I’d check in and see if there’s any reason not to pull the trigger on this?

e: I don’t think I really need 16 gigs of ram, but I don’t see an option for just getting the upgraded SSD on the refurb site - it’s still cheaper than a new model with just the 1TB upgrade. I’ve had good luck with refurbished Apple products in the past (The only thing I’ve ever bought new was that last MacBook Pro, which had a million problems ironically enough)

Nofeed fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Nofeed posted:

Well, 2015 MacBook Pro 13” (plebeian Non-Touch Bar version) has finally bit the dust. A particularly unreliable gen 1 machine, which has had its keyboard, battery, and screen replaced free of charge by Apple at various points in its life. Requiscat in pieces.

Looking at a refurb M1 MacBook Air. Would like to upgrade on the SSD at least from my previous machine, which was definitely getting in the way of things. Apple has the 16GB/1TB models for a 360 CAD discount compared to new. I’ve been totally out of the loop on Apple hardware, thought I’d check in and see if there’s any reason not to pull the trigger on this?

e: I don’t think I really need 16 gigs of ram, but I don’t see an option for just getting the upgraded SSD on the refurb site - it’s still cheaper than a new model with just the 1TB upgrade. I’ve had good luck with refurbished Apple products in the past (The only thing I’ve ever bought new was that last MacBook Pro, which had a million problems ironically enough)
I've been using a base model M1 Air at home since early last year and it's been absolutely fantastic the whole time I've had it. The only real limitation I should mention is that it can only output to a single external display so if you're looking at 2+ external screens you might have some problems.

There'll probably be a new one out in the second half of the year with an M2 chip in it but it's unlikely you'll see a significant performance difference over the current model. It'll probably include a chassis redesign (I'm personally expecting white keys/bezels and the same colours as the 24" iMacs) and you might get 'outputs to 2 external monitors' and possibly a better camera but other than that there's not likely to be much different about it.