Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Druzhba is not a gas pipeline. It’s an oil pipeline.

Thanks for the correction. Got my hydrocarbons confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1494790746603405313

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Thanks for the correction. Got my hydrocarbons confused.

Now if only Russian state media would also receive such a correction, instead of publishing articles about Druzhba gas pipeline.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

KillHour posted:

"...and therefore they have no choice but to let Ukraine burn to the ground" is the implication of that, and Russia knows it.

there was at one point a real possibility of reaching some kind of finlandisation agreement which would probably have been the best practical solution for everyone involved. the window for that seems to be closing rather dramatically now, though

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Everyone's favorite lil' neocon is beating the war drums:

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1494788172626202629

Someone should pitch a peace deal to the parties involved by saying, "It'll make Marco Rubio really mad. You want to see him really mad, don't you?" There's a 100% chance it will work.

As for Zelensky's conference, that might be off the table, but we'll see:

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1494790685903491075

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/UkrWarReport/status/1494791327724281873

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Biden is taking now after being delayed almost an hour

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
https://twitter.com/YanniKouts/status/1494793779437522949

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Yeah, this was pretty remarkable to hear during the statement and caused the press to go into a frenzy.

The press corp pushed for clarification and he reiterated, "As of this moment, I'm convinced he has made the decision."

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 18, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

For context on the reservists bit - it’s a regular occurrence, much like the nuke drills. Last year it happened in April.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
AFAIK BARS reservists have had multiple rounds of mobilizations throughout the forces build-up, so it's not a major escalation indicator by itself beyond the timing.

Everything else combined is, however.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Oh yeah it’s definitely rescheduled in a far too convenient manner. Just saying that this isn’t the first in X years where they mobilise reservists.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Last week we had a callout issued with an indicated 2 months guaranteed pay, which appears a novel addition to the BARS program.

Also to expand, in an hypothetical conflict Rosguardia, OMON Federal Police, and Reservist units would be tasked with rear guard territorial control duties on locales captured by Russian regular forces, so the multiple rounds of mobilization have indicated an intent to take and hold territory.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh wow things aren't looking good for my trip (or the people on the ground there). Triple digits of new posts isn't a good sign here.

This seems pretty serious for Russia to just make up, but on the other hand, there's absolutely no reason for Ukraine to actually start poo poo right now when they have the whole country surrounded. I just don't see what they could possibly gain from this escalation.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh wow things aren't looking good for my trip (or the people on the ground there). Triple digits of new posts isn't a good sign here.

This seems pretty serious for Russia to just make up, but on the other hand, there's absolutely no reason for Ukraine to actually start poo poo right now when they have the whole country surrounded. I just don't see what they could possibly gain from this escalation.

This is looking ugly enough that I really hope you’re not headed there for like a marrying friend or relative in hospital or some other thing you cannot walk away from.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1494686976527769603
NATO unity.

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm just an idiot goon so you don't have to listen to me but this is 99% happening and it's going to be destructive on a level the world hasn't experienced in a long time.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 18, 2022

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Majorian posted:

Everyone's favorite lil' neocon is beating the war drums:

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1494788172626202629

Someone should pitch a peace deal to the parties involved by saying, "It'll make Marco Rubio really mad. You want to see him really mad, don't you?" There's a 100% chance it will work.

As a non-American it is really nuts to see Rubio, McConnell etc. "parroting" the usual GOP anti-Russian line while you have Tucker Carlson on Fox News saying Russia has every right to do what it's doing, as well as calling Zelensky a dictator for jailing Viktor Medvedchuk, who is like Putin's number one ally in Ukraine and a preferred candidate of Putin's for the President of Ukraine some time in the future. Then you have the Trump family and we don't even need to discuss that. It is quite something.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Biden just announced that US intelligence is confident that Putin has ordered the invasion. That can of course prove to be untrue, either them being wrong again or Putin deciding that he's spooked us enough and it's time to back off. But I would strongly recommend you do not travel to Ukraine for the next month, the chances of full-scale war are extremely high. Whatever cost that has to you personally I am very sorry, I've been fortunate to be present before 2 very close family members passed and if I wasn't able to be there I would have been devastated. But we've seen Russia shoot down a civilian airliner over Ukraine, the danger is immense right now.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah don't be another story of a goon who travelled into a warzone and then was never heard from again. I suspect even the people still firmly on the side that its all a bluff probably wouldn't stake their life on it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

QuoProQuid posted:

Yeah, this was pretty remarkable to hear during the statement and caused the press to go into a frenzy.

The press corp pushed for clarification and he reiterated, "As of this moment, I'm convinced he has made the decision."

Hot take, regardless if it's actually like a war will happen or not corporate-align media is going to sensationalize the hell of it for the next few weeks because it is absolutely in their best economic interest.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I think you said earlier it’s just to take pictures of old churches so if you go through with this your story’s going to be like the dude who said he was going to walk across the American desert in the middle of summer with no training to raise awareness for depression and you’ll be made fun of for years to come

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1494802124588433408

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Well no poo poo a bunch of poo poo just exploded after a day of heavily expanded shelling

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Alchenar posted:

Yeah don't be another story of a goon who travelled into a warzone and then was never heard from again. I suspect even the people still firmly on the side that its all a bluff probably wouldn't stake their life on it.

...I'd certainly stake that no matter what happens, at no point is flying into Kyiv going to approach the danger of wandering into Syria on foot without your psych meds

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

Didn't he turn up later, alive and well?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I think you said earlier it’s just to take pictures of old churches so if you go through with this your story’s going to be like the dude who said he was going to walk across the American desert in the middle of summer with no training to raise awareness for depression and you’ll be made fun of for years to come
I did but that was a joke, I was actually going to visit some elderly relatives and help with some paperwork and other bullshit they're struggling with. I'm not as much concerned with Putin nuking me but things can still get very bad. Pretty high chance of flights being canceled and getting stuck there since I wouldn't be able to just drive out of there.

Orthanc6 posted:

Biden just announced that US intelligence is confident that Putin has ordered the invasion. That can of course prove to be untrue, either them being wrong again or Putin deciding that he's spooked us enough and it's time to back off. But I would strongly recommend you do not travel to Ukraine for the next month, the chances of full-scale war are extremely high. Whatever cost that has to you personally I am very sorry, I've been fortunate to be present before 2 very close family members passed and if I wasn't able to be there I would have been devastated. But we've seen Russia shoot down a civilian airliner over Ukraine, the danger is immense right now.
I also think it could still go either way and earlier this week I was on the fence but this is definitely nope.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Alchenar posted:

Caro did somehow come back alive from that right? Unless there’s a second goon.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Caro did indeed survive, although it doesn't sound like he's doing great, given that latest update. I hadn't realized he had been on Lions Led By Donkeys, which is a very fun podcast. I may give it a listen, but I dunno, it might make me sad.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Caro will outlive us all. He cannot be killed

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

Well no poo poo a bunch of poo poo just exploded after a day of heavily expanded shelling

Belarus, though? Usually Oligarch's wives would prefer something like Paris.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Belarus, though? Usually Oligarch's wives would prefer something like Paris.

Maybe she loved getting served champagne from Champagne oblast, Belarus on her last visit to Moscow.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Didn't Caro get captured by Assad's forces and held in a torture facility? Last I heard he's living out of his car now in San Francisco

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Russian media is still full of making fun of invasion dates coming from the west right now, and there has not been any concerted effort to sell that war=good. Although maybe Putin doesn't care to pre-sell anything anymore and can always propaganda after.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Rad Russian posted:

Russian media is still full of making fun of invasion dates coming from the west right now, and there has not been any concerted effort to sell that war=good. Although maybe Putin doesn't care to pre-sell anything anymore and can always propaganda after.

Its because official line this wouldn't be a war, it'd be a defensive action against Ukrainian aggression to protect the Russian citizens in Donbas.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Majorian posted:

Caro did indeed survive, although it doesn't sound like he's doing great, given that latest update. I hadn't realized he had been on Lions Led By Donkeys, which is a very fun podcast. I may give it a listen, but I dunno, it might make me sad.

Caro is one of the SA stories I tell friends and family about because ifs both ridiculous enough to defy belief but also has enough coverage supporting it’s validity. I didn’t know there was still *more news* to the story. Thanks D&D.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

I briefly read that as IRA and well, that was certainly a plot twist

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Its because official line this wouldn't be a war, it'd be a defensive action against Ukrainian aggression to protect the Russian citizens in Donbas.

Yeah, it seems the only common thread on that is that if "Ukraine with U.S. help" decides to "attack" Russians, then Putin is ready to respond. Why they would decide to attack now, after waiting months for Russia to assemble its forces is a mystery that's not addressed.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Big Beef City posted:

None of that is anywhere near the Belarus border.

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'm just an idiot goon so you don't have to listen to me but this is 99% happening and it's going to be destructive on a level the world hasn't experienced in a long time.

Change "world" to "Europe". Because otherwise this is just adorable in the most depressing way.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Мировая звезда.

I think Russia's disinformation ability is working fantastically. Feels like Putin is free to create whatever narrative he wants because we live in a post-truth world.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Grape posted:

None of that is anywhere near the Belarus border.

Yes however it may be possible that the current events happening right now are influencing these actions, yeah??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rad Russian posted:

I think this analysis is good on that point.

https://twitter.com/samagreene/status/1494730097269563394

https://twitter.com/samagreene/status/1494730100021071884

https://twitter.com/samagreene/status/1494730102051119107