Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Maxwell Lord posted:

My main thought about Peacemaker is we seem to be due for a cultural re-evaluation of hair metal and its place in music history. Much like the slow rehabilitation of disco.

well, i think this already happened. specifically in the 00s. you had bands like The Darkness, who were jokingly saying "actually hair metal was good", and also bands like The loving Champs who were sincerely playing metal in an indie rock context, with song names like "Thor is loving Godlike".

around the same time i recall the college station in Knoxville had a hair metal show that a buddy of mine did, and it was by a large margin the most popular thing on the station. i believe it was just called "the cock rock hour" and it was almost all hair metal.

i think something that everyone figured out back then is that, there really just aren't that many hair metal bands who were "genuinely good".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Found some relatively up to date streaming market share statistics: https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/report-hbo-max-gained-2-marketshare-with-netflix-down-2-in-q4-2021/

HBOMax is winning big. Netflix plummeted with a brief rescue in the early fall likely by Squid Game. Amazon Prime Video seems to be following in the same footsteps as Netflix. Disney/Hulu stagnates. AppleTV+ is gaining probably due to Ted Lasso and iPhone 13 launch. Paramount Plus made big gains in December but can't see if it stuck.

precision posted:

well, i think this already happened. specifically in the 00s. you had bands like The Darkness, who were jokingly saying "actually hair metal was good", and also bands like The loving Champs who were sincerely playing metal in an indie rock context, with song names like "Thor is loving Godlike".

around the same time i recall the college station in Knoxville had a hair metal show that a buddy of mine did, and it was by a large margin the most popular thing on the station. i believe it was just called "the cock rock hour" and it was almost all hair metal.

i think something that everyone figured out back then is that, there really just aren't that many hair metal bands who were "genuinely good".

The closest cousin of good "hair metal bands" were thrash or power metal, with the lionshare of them from Europe. Glam metal was always a mediocre genre.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Maxwell Lord posted:

My main thought about Peacemaker is we seem to be due for a cultural re-evaluation of hair metal and its place in music history. Much like the slow rehabilitation of disco.

It's been done.

I'm more looking forward to a cultural re-evaluation of nu metal.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!

Zachack posted:

Love is Blind is weekly or staggered somehow, not all of the episodes are up yet. I would guess 2-3/week since it's done by the end of Feb.

I think they are dropping half seasons which is weird. Must be something netflix is trying out. Rest of the episodes come out tomorrow

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

precision posted:

Haha I used to dj that station as a student

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

Haha I used to dj that station as a student

really unbelievable that nobody to my knowledge ever had the idea to get a Sean Connery sound clip "THE ROCK!" for a bumper

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Lot of good stuff (too much to excerpt, and probably too much to dump here) in this article on the decision to move Ms. Maisel to a 2-episode/week release schedule.

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/02/marvelous-mrs-maisel-streaming-landscape-1234700646/

“As more serious streaming competitors have entered the marketplace, the release models have destabilized,” said Myles McNutt, author, TV critic, and associate professor of communication and theatre arts at Old Dominion University. “Netflix’s sheer volume of TV shows made binge releases the default early on even when Hulu was primarily releasing shows on a weekly basis, but each new platform that has emerged has observed a changing marketplace and said, ‘Hmm, let’s try this instead.’”

The past year in TV has seen wins come from all over the map regarding release schedules. Showtime’s “Yellowjackets” started slow, but word of mouth saw the series grow from week-to-week, a fervor only fueled by the premium cable network’s choice to allow for streaming of each week’s episodes more than 20 hours before it aired. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Netflix’s “Squid Game” was an unprecedented global phenomenon that was completely unfazed by a binge release, creating months of buzz from episodes readily available from the time it premiered.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The second season of Dave is getting fuckin dark

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!
I initially rolled my eyes at a lil dicky show but Dave is fantastic.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Dave is so drat good

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

It definitely gives me Louie vibes

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I'm not criticizing it, I love it but drat they went hard in the second season. I was not expecting it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

It’s not even a sub genre I’m especially into but I just always found it weird that the lingering backlash meant rock and metal bands got hung up on being taken seriously and being authentic. I’m not saying this directly correlates with rock losing cultural mindshare to pop and r&b but it’s worth looking into.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

People are talking about Euphoria and Peacemaker?

Euphoria is basically bar none the most talked about show right now. Is it the best? No, but it's entertaining, and produces some great memes.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

veni veni veni posted:

I think they are dropping half seasons which is weird. Must be something netflix is trying out. Rest of the episodes come out tomorrow

Last episode is on the 25th. Seems like everything else is available now, so it seems like the idea is some sort of binge/weekly mix. Like, you can gobble up a bunch of episodes but you still have to come back.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

No they release 3-4 episodes at a time, the same thing they did for Singles Inferno and 2h2h.

I think it does create a lot more buzz. At least my friends group, we talk about the episodes that are out, get hyped in the intervening days waiting for the new ones, spend a few days talking about the new ones.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Your friend deceived you.

In that case, it reminds me of this series of sketches from Comedy Bang Bang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8MBUZjJX7Y

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Nihonniboku posted:

Euphoria is basically bar none the most talked about show right now. Is it the best? No, but it's entertaining, and produces some great memes.

I guess that makes sense. Everthing I've heard about the show makes it seem to be prestige TV made for what constitutes as the MTV crowd in 2022.

The Modern Leper posted:

Lot of good stuff (too much to excerpt, and probably too much to dump here) in this article on the decision to move Ms. Maisel to a 2-episode/week release schedule.

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/02/marvelous-mrs-maisel-streaming-landscape-1234700646/

Good article.

I think this is the gist of it:

quote:

“We are learning a lot about the intersection of streaming and linear channels and also global releases with domestic releases. In other words, we were for a long time really only focused on what day of the week [a show] would launch, what would its lead-in be, what other competitive programs might be launching on that day or on other channels or on streaming platforms,” Landgraf said. “Now you are competing against every great film, every great television, every great long-form story ever made, on multiple streaming platforms with 550 new shows coming out a year. So, it more becomes about really understanding the cadence of consumption by consumers, when they want to watch things, how they want to watch things.”

For all the micro and macro planning taking place at other streamers and more traditional broadcasters searching for an optimized method of rolling out programming, Netflix remains (mostly) resolute in its decision to binge or bust.

And why shouldn’t they? The model they developed nearly a decade ago with “House of Cards” continues to pay off for them. “Squid Game” spent 19 weeks, just short of five months, in the streamer’s self-reported Top 10. Limited series “Maid” was in the Top 10 for 12 weeks and “You” — a series that aired one season on Lifetime, was renewed, had its renewal reneged, and was saved by Netflix — spent eight weeks in the Top 10 upon release of its third season last year.

But not even Netflix is completely immune from the allure of a longer release window, with unscripted reality shows including “The Circle” and “Love Is Blind” getting batch releases and other established scripted programming, specifically “Ozark” and “Stranger Things,” seeing seasons split into two distinct releases. With that in mind, it must be said that while there might be narrative or audience-driven reasons that “Ozark” and “Stranger Things” (both known Emmy players) are seeing their seasons bifurcated, it’s equally likely those calls are being made to maximize awards eligibility windows.

So with all that in mind, where does the industry go from here?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yellowjackets would have been almost invisible if it binge dropped I bet

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Maxwell Lord posted:

It’s not even a sub genre I’m especially into but I just always found it weird that the lingering backlash meant rock and metal bands got hung up on being taken seriously and being authentic. I’m not saying this directly correlates with rock losing cultural mindshare to pop and r&b but it’s worth looking into.

that's true and i think something interesting is that it's basically a repeat of what happened with rock initially, where you had the Beatles and most other artists not actually writing their own songs and rock was just pop with louder guitars, so you had bands like led zep and pink floyd who were very hung up on people taking them seriously then too

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Had very low expectations for Kimi, based on the comments ITT and I'm not a Soderbergh fan. Pleasantly surprised though, it's a decent techno thriller and a tight 90 at that. And as someone else said, the first movie to be set in the pandemic without being about that. Also Zoe Kravitz is great in it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I watched 50% of the first Suicide Squad movie before I fell asleep and gave up, is the second one required to be able to start watching Peacemaker?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Sirotan posted:

I watched 50% of the first Suicide Squad movie before I fell asleep and gave up, is the second one required to be able to start watching Peacemaker?

The second one is actually good, the first has nothing to do with Peacemaker and is trash

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sirotan posted:

It's not required at all.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i just hope more folks don't start doing weekly releases due to this. it just means i'll have to wait until the last episode of the season comes out before i get to start watching.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I've seen every Texas Chainsaw Massacre and while the 2022 one isn't the worst its close

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

I've seen every Texas Chainsaw Massacre and while the 2022 one isn't the worst its close

As a proud connoisseur of lovely horror movies, I thought it was great.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

New Texas Chainsaw is much better than new Scream. Actual characters I could distinguish, far better cinematography and the homages to the original are more clever than over the top.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Oh I thought it was entertaining as hell, but it struck me as a bit of a Jurassic Part Lost World situation, where the entire movie is structured around one amazing sequence (in this case, a T-rex rampaging through San Diego would be Leatherface livestream millennial party bus kill cam) and everything else just kinda getting you to that point

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Sirotan posted:

Partway through Peacemaker I went back and watched The Suicide Squad and it didn't fill in anything that the show hadn't already covered in flashback. I would recommend watching the movie first simply because the show would in fact spoil a couple of pretty critical bits, but I'd also say that you shouldn't be turned off of the show if you end up being ambivalent to the film.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Oh I thought it was entertaining as hell, but it struck me as a bit of a Jurassic Part Lost World situation, where the entire movie is structured around one amazing sequence (in this case, a T-rex rampaging through San Diego would be Leatherface livestream millennial party bus kill cam) and everything else just kinda getting you to that point

Yeah that scene is definitely the apex of the film, gets a little lost after that.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Finished "The Cup Head Show".

While it certainly wasn't bad, it was hardly exceptional.

The animation is great, the characters are good, and the world is fleshed out. But unfortunately most of the show plays it too safe. Outside of the final episode I didn't feel any episode was exceptional.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Severance on Apple TV is great.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

King's Man is bizarre, they took the concept of the first movie and removed all the irony and jokes.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ghosted on Hulu is bad. I like Craig Robinson and Adam Scott, and there's a few points where you can see how it could have been a fun show, but it's not looking very functional after 3 episodes.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 20, 2022

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Booyah- posted:

King's Man is bizarre, they took the concept of the first movie and removed all the irony and jokes.

I saw it back in theaters and walked away not loving it. I feel like it's bad and not interesting to say that it feels like 3 films stapled together, but drat does is it a confused movie.

The first third feels close to the series and is the only part where it feels like they're having fun. Big, dumb Rasputin fight was entertaining enough even if we did gently caress around for a long time to get there. But then it's time for a sad, separate movie about how war is hell and then a weirdly played straight spy thriller that's way too small scale and personal. There's nothing equivalent to the first or second movie's third act action. All that buildup for a shootout in a dark room with a villain who I don't give a poo poo about, except he killed a dude who ran death camps (canonically within the film even), but I guess he's evil.

And the politics are just as weird and confused. There are times where they seem to be acknowledging it and taking the standard view that WWI is just kings fighting kings, and you know, that's the whole thing that The Kingsman' agency was supposed to stop. So okay. And for a bit they at least sidestep it by the characters' motivation just being the quick end of the war. And then it just drifts to being kind of gross and about protecting Britain, a thing that the main character doesn't seem to particularly care about for most of the film. The Kitchener stuff was the weirdest. The man who was introduced as running death camps that the heroes wife died trying to stop gets a dramatic death that leaves the Duke all sad.

Eh, too many words but the movie was just so disappointing.

There was a brief moment at the start, when they use an umbrella to bat the explosives away from Ferdinand, that I thought it was going to go absolutely nuts with a fun alt-history. Which I would have loved. But then they just kind of turned it into "Remember When..." the movie and it sucked.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 20, 2022

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Inspector Hound posted:

Ghosted on Hulu is bad. I like Craig Robinson and Adam Scott, and there's a few points where you can see how it could have been a fun show, but it's not looking very functional after 3 episodes.

I loved this show, but a lot of the grace i gave it was that it was written by Sean from Hollywood Handbook and him and Ben Rodgers were in it (But just barely).

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Love is Blind season 2 has the best chaos demon of a reality show villain and it is very good. Embrace trash tv.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Yea you don’t really have to hate on ghosted it was already cancelled. I like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Inspector Hound posted:

It was a Fox show four years ago. It's long dead.