Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

If I have a bronze power supply that is out of warranty that should probably be replaced, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

snackcakes posted:

Hello all! I know the thread is bumping today, but maybe some kind goon could offer their thoughts on this.

What country are you in? US
What are you using the system for? Personal use / Gaming. I don't play often but I would like things to be snappy and higher quality when I do.
What's your budget? I usually take a "it costs what it costs" approach but... if I could go below $1500 that'd be neat.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Resolution is 1920x1080 at 60 Hz. I would like to eventually be able to play on the higher end settings whenever I can get a better GPU.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? N/A

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($344.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($121.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($81.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1650 G5 4 GB DUAL OC Video Card ($263.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($111.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1069.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-02-17 19:46 EST-0500

So from the above... I picked a lower end GPU because it's available at a nearby Micro Center and so is the CPU. I'm going to pop over there this weekend and see what I can get from my list. I already have the M.2 drive because it got posted in this thread a few days ago and seemed pretty good so I snagged it. I'm not too sure on this Motherboard or what PSU but I'm thinking I'd like to eventually get a 3060 GPU or whatever the equivalent is when the next generation of these cards are released. PC Part Picker warns that this motherboard might need a bios update to support my CPU. Is that going to ruin my life? I haven't built a PC in a decade so I'm not up to date on brands and all that.

I don't know if I'd pair a low-end B550 board with a 5800X, but also I just don't think the 5800X makes a lot of sense right now in general when you can get a 12600K that outperforms it in all tasks from Micro Center for $250. So I would consider grabbing a 12600K and MSI Pro Z690-A from MC instead for about as much as the CPU+mobo combo you posted. For your PSU, I'd get a 750W one like this.

Also, I don't like the idea of buying a 1650 right now. I would consider spending $500 on a 3060 instead of buying a 1650 for $260 or however much it costs at MC and then who knows how much for a 3060 once the new cards come out. I don't actually expect the 3060 to get all that cheap once the 40-series comes out, largely because the 40-series is probably going to have higher MSRPs than the 30-series to begin with and availability will still be bad. I just don't think the math works out here, and it relies on a return to normalcy that isn't going to fully happen anytime this year or potentially next. It sounds like Micro Center is getting more lower-end 30-series cards these days, so I'd just try to get one of those. I've seen some goons talk about just walking in and seeing some 3060s and 3060 Tis and poo poo on the shelves, though your chances of getting one are better if you go in the morning, and especially if you go just before or right after they open on a day when they get new stock (check in at your local store—they may have restock days posted somewhere).

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 18, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Unsinkabear posted:

If I have a bronze power supply that is out of warranty that should probably be replaced, right?

Yeah don't gently caress around with PSUs. That's a mistake you make once and never again. If it's that old I'd replace it.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Rinkles posted:

I think most mobos now come with at least one heatsinked M.2 slot.

From what I understand, for gen 3 drives it's not needed but doesn't really matter (technically, potentially detrimental, but marginal either way), but gen 4 drives can get hotter so it's probably not a bad idea to use the heatsink. But again, I'd check whether your mother board doesn't already come with one.

I ran my gen 3 drive for a while without the mobo heatsink because I was an idiot and thought it wouldn't fit with the chassis fan connected (turns out I was trying to attach the heatsink upside down). It didn't do poo poo once I put it on. Still got hot at the same rate up to the same temperature as if I didn't have it on.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

When the NVMe drives were first coming out it was generally found that the flash memory performed well when a bit hot but the controller didn't. So, the controller will throttle based on its temperature but the flash memory doesn't necessarily need heatsinks. The issue with most of the heatsinks that exist is that they're just kind of hunk of aluminum with a fat silicone thermal pad on them because they're designed to work with any disk wherever the components are on the PCB. Often this means there's not amazing contact with the controller and a lot of the motherboard ones seem to just kind of enclose the disk while giving it a little more thermal mass of aluminum to sink heat to. So while they're theoretically good to have on a disk controller, in practice most of them suck.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

That is a great explanation. Looks like the mobo I'm looking at has m.2 heatsinks on the board itself so I think I'm good with no heatsink, just haven't had that choice before so it threw me. First time NVMe buyer. Thanks thread.

Asus TUF Z690 Plus https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-Z690-PLUS-WIFI-D4/
Samsung 980 Pro NVMe https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/980-pro-pcie-4-0-nvme-ssd-1tb-mz-v8p1t0b-am/

palindrome fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 18, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Completely anecdotal but I've been using a NVMe for my C drive in this machine for three years without a heatsink and it doesn't seem to matter. I've never checked temps but everything on that drive loads crazy fast, if there is any performance degradation from heat it's not noticeable at all.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Completely anecdotal but I've been using a NVMe for my C drive in this machine for three years without a heatsink and it doesn't seem to matter. I've never checked temps but everything on that drive loads crazy fast, if there is any performance degradation from heat it's not noticeable at all.

I have a heatsink on the 1TB WD NVMe drive I use as my Windows boot drive, and no heatsink on the 512GB WD NVMe drive I use as my Linux boot drive, and have noticed no difference in how they run. I haven't checked the temps, but they seem to operate the same.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah. Maybe with a heatsink a game would load in 9.5 seconds instead of ten but who cares.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Probably not even that. Heat only becomes a potential problem with sustained activity. Short bursts like loading a game level would never overheat an SSD even if it's a hot-running SSD in a case with bad airflow. And for nearly all Gen 3 SSDs, there is never any possibility of thermal throttling without a heatsink anyway. There are a handful of Gen 4 drives that run hotter than average and can see some improvement by having a heatsink (like the SN850), but again, that's only for sustained loads. So it's really not something worth worrying about. Use your motherboard's built-in heat spreader if it has one. If it doesn't, then don't sweat it. It's a non-issue.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah don't gently caress around with PSUs. That's a mistake you make once and never again. If it's that old I'd replace it.

Any reason why I shouldn't grab this one while it's on sale? I know 850w is a bit overkill but the discount is so deep it's cheaper than the 750

Also no, it doesn't have to be an EVGA PSU. But they've got rebates running just like everyone else rn, so I figure I may as well pick it up from them and earn some more of their silly queue points.

E: found the PSU reviews on Tom's Guide and replaced the linked model with a better choice.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 18, 2022

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I forgot to answer the question about the Fuma 2. This is the separate mounting kit, and yes, it's necessary: https://www.amazon.com/Scythe-Mounting-LGA1700-Socket-SCMK-1700/dp/B09LCH78QL?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Thanks, I went ahead and ordered it. I took your other suggestions too, especially since it seems that case prices have jumped up recently? Took a look at the Fractal Design Focus G case and saw it was already $74, and that was my budget option. It was $55 when I ordered it about seven months ago. Blargh. Went with the 4000D instead.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cases are more expensive because international shipping is way more expensive than a year ago and cases are big empty metal boxes, so not the most weight- or volume-efficient product.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cases are one of the most heavily affected components by the global shipping crisis. They're more expensive to ship relative to their value than many other products due to their bulk, so just the logistics of getting the finished product from the factory to manufacturer warehouses then to distributor warehouses who then ship them to retailer warehouses who then do free* shipping to you (which is baked into product costs instead) altogether increase the cost of getting the product in your hands enough that most cases are now considerably more expensive now than they were in 2019. Like, the 4000D was a $70 case at its launch and is now commonly $95 to $100. I've also noticed some reduced availability, with several cases being harder to come by than they used to be. This is probably for the same reason as the above — there are shipping delays everywhere now.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 18, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What the hell?

Micron Kills Off Crucial's Iconic Ballistix Gaming RAM

Maybe I should buy a second pair of sticks while I still have the chance?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Yeah, I ordered another 16GB yesterday.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I hope they don't close up shop on it, I have some Ballistix DDR3 to RMA.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Rexxed posted:

I hope they don't close up shop on it, I have some Ballistix DDR3 to RMA.

How in the world do you have in warranty DDR3?

Rinkles posted:

What the hell?

Micron Kills Off Crucial's Iconic Ballistix Gaming RAM

Maybe I should buy a second pair of sticks while I still have the chance?

As long as you buy a set from a different manufacturer with similar timings/speed, it’s generally fine.

I have 2x8 Gskill trident z and 2x8 ballistix or whatever poo poo was on sale at microcenter when I upgraded. If you’re just gonna slap XMP it doesn’t matter.

RE: SSD heatspeader chat.

They generally aren’t needed, especially in gaming. I probably wouldn’t bother unless it came with one.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I don’t know if this is the thread to bring this up, but is this Gpu shortage ever gonna end? Crypto miners have an unlimited ‘need’ and retailers and manufacturers have no real incentive to stop them. What do they care who’s buying?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

sponges posted:

I don’t know if this is the thread to bring this up, but is this Gpu shortage ever gonna end? Crypto miners have an unlimited ‘need’ and retailers and manufacturers have no real incentive to stop them. What do they care who’s buying?

Probably, but it’s gonna take a while. Availability does seem better than a few months ago, though.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Finally had time to assemble all the poo poo I've bought over the past few weeks.

If any potential builders were curious this is how much room you have with a Meshify 2 Compact, Fuma 2, mATX motherboard and a 300mm GPU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I checked out of curiosity and both my heat spreader covered boot drive and exposed NVME on the back of my Aorous B550-I MOBO are idling at 50 degrees right now, I don't think they do anything

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

sponges posted:

I’m not expecting this to end for a long time. IMO 2023 at the earliest.

We’re still dealing with delays in raw material mining, shipping delays at all points in the process from raw material to consumer hands, and delays in manufacturing due to covid protocols.

And these delays we’re feeling today are from covid issues 1 year + ago at the raw materials stage.

Add on to this that GPUs are a short supply item for months WITHOUT covid delays (remember how hard 1080Ti cards were to get?).

I expect 1 year after covid delays end is when we’ll see remotely any relief from this.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

How in the world do you have in warranty DDR3?

Most ram has a lifetime warranty. I'm sure there's a limit when they'll stop having extras in stock to send out, but DDR3 isn't that old so I'm hoping for the best. Usually they just want to know you've memtested the system and tried the ram in other systems or that the system works with other ram, which is the case here. I got the 16gb of DDR3 1600 kit in 2016 so we'll see I guess. I was able to RMA a dual channel kit to ADATA I bought in 2013 or 2014 in 2019 so I'd think Crucial would be a better bet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's definitely easier though. I was able to score a GPU after just a week of intense searching and I've seen them on shelves at stores multiple times. A year ago when I asked at Microcenter they just laughed at me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

In my previous case, Alienware sff, when I added an nvme drive it would idle at 50C+. And it hit 70C at one point, after which I took it out. That could have done with a heatsink, but this was a cramp case with awful airflow.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Rinkles posted:

In my previous case, Alienware sff, when I added an nvme drive it would idle at 50C+. And it hit 70C at one point, after which I took it out. That could have done with a heatsink, but this was a cramp case with awful airflow.

70C is absolutely fine for an NVME. It’s on the high side, but fine.

Heatsinks will not help with poor airflow cases. The way a heatsink works is it pushes the hot air further away from the component to a location where cooler air (from a fan) can reach it better.

If your whole case’s temp is 70C because of terrible airflow, the heatsink will be functionally useless.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It was actually on a riser right on top of the GPU, not the motherboard, so I think it was the GPU exhaust that was causing that.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

change my name posted:

I checked out of curiosity and both my heat spreader covered boot drive and exposed NVME on the back of my Aorous B550-I MOBO are idling at 50 degrees right now, I don't think they do anything

I have the same motherboard and that giant metal chunk of aorus logo above the m.2 drive doesn't actually contact the NVMe and so actually stifles it. I took it off and temps dropped a bit. I have another M.2 in the rear motherboard slot and bought a €10 heatsink for it and it did drop the temps.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Butterfly Valley posted:

I have the same motherboard and that giant metal chunk of aorus logo above the m.2 drive doesn't actually contact the NVMe and so actually stifles it. I took it off and temps dropped a bit. I have another M.2 in the rear motherboard slot and bought a €10 heatsink for it and it did drop the temps.

It should be contacting it? Does yours not have a thermal pad on it that touches the drive?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

change my name posted:

It should be contacting it? Does yours not have a thermal pad on it that touches the drive?

Yeah, there's the part that you stick to it and screw down, then the giant metal chunk on top which doesn't actually contact that heatsink bit. Temps are better if you just leave it off.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I see this WD Blue 4 TB HDD for $65 at BestBuy, anyone know of any better deals for the same capacity?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Just out of curiosity for the near-future - are there any goons near the Tustin California micro-center?

I'm about a 2 hour drive away from there - I'd love to hook up with goons for potential hangouts if we're trying for GPUs together or something.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I’m not expecting this to end for a long time. IMO 2023 at the earliest.

We’re still dealing with delays in raw material mining, shipping delays at all points in the process from raw material to consumer hands, and delays in manufacturing due to covid protocols.

And these delays we’re feeling today are from covid issues 1 year + ago at the raw materials stage.

Add on to this that GPUs are a short supply item for months WITHOUT covid delays (remember how hard 1080Ti cards were to get?).

I expect 1 year after covid delays end is when we’ll see remotely any relief from this.

why bother to ship them across the ocean when they can are already selling out in china

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm looking through all the 30-series combos on newegg, and trying to find anything worthwhile is a struggle. So here's something that's at least usable for someone looking to do a whole new build, a 3070 with a Z590 motherboard for $900: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4473832

Building an 11th gen system wasn't terribly exciting when it was new and it's even less exciting now that the 12th gen is here, but they're still perfectly functional CPUs. I priced out an 11600K/3070 system using this combo for $1510, and that'd be better than all of the awful overpriced 3070 prebuilts on newegg right now. So, not ideal but also not the worst. You still have to make compromises if you want a new GPU, but it's nice that there are at least some viable options now.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
Everyone here probably knows about this, but basically if you have an old Windows 10 DVD and you want to use it building a new computer that doesn't have a DVD...

Go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can download the iso to a USB stick with that utility and use your Windows 10 DVD product key on activation. It's a really fast download, despite being 4 GB.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm looking through all the 30-series combos on newegg, and trying to find anything worthwhile is a struggle. So here's something that's at least usable for someone looking to do a whole new build, a 3070 with a Z590 motherboard for $900: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4473832

Building an 11th gen system wasn't terribly exciting when it was new and it's even less exciting now that the 12th gen is here, but they're still perfectly functional CPUs. I priced out an 11600K/3070 system using this combo for $1510, and that'd be better than all of the awful overpriced 3070 prebuilts on newegg right now. So, not ideal but also not the worst. You still have to make compromises if you want a new GPU, but it's nice that there are at least some viable options now.

That's more than serviceable, I'd say, given the current climate. Thanks for your recommendations and links, BTW. Very helpful.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Dahbadu posted:

Everyone here probably knows about this, but basically if you have an old Windows 10 DVD and you want to use it building a new computer that doesn't have a DVD...

You can download the iso to a USB stick with that utility and use your Windows 10 DVD product key on activation. It's a really fast download, despite being 4 GB.

Also if you need a key, BrownThunder sells them (and other MS keys) for $19 in SAMart. I've gotten them twice and they are legit.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
is that the media creation tool? it's actually even better than that; if you used an old DVD or whatever the machine would need hours to update, restart, repeat since 10 is a decade old- the tool puts whatever version the creating machine uses on your USB stick. significantly cuts down on the time wasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dahbadu posted:

You also don’t even need a key or a windows 10 DVD. You can just download and flash it, and the only thing you can’t do is change some personalization poo poo like wallpaper.

Win10 is essentially freeware.