Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:confused: Sea Dick Guardian? idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Please tell me the inevitable SPiKa concert to close out the game involves Mikuriya having to sit next to Ryouta as his form of punishment. And Ryouta has been purposefully told to be as annoying as possible.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- I would have thought the icy floor would have been a lot worse than the wind boost. The third dungeon is definitely the toughest of the lot, but it's not super-full of lava.
- All three dungeons looks similar because they're three parts of the same lock.
- I think Rion's reaction to seeing Kou again is overly melodramatic. It's been a couple of days at most.
- I wouldn't say that the game is pushing Rion. If anything, she's the one the game pushes the least. Making a good case for two (or three) out of three is better than Cold Steel, where one girl is pushed as the love interest really hard and the others don't really get much focus. (And I'm saying that as someone who does think the one Falcom pushes is the best partner for Rean.)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 14, 2022

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Honestly yeah, the game does a pretty good job of presenting things just vaguely enough that if you want to read any of Shiori, Asuka, or Rion as Kou's True Love™, you would have a pretty defensible position. We go into this a little bit in video...84, I think, but the game's REAL failing is that it's trying to have its cake and eat it too w/r/t Kou's relationships.

On one hand, it seemingly gives you a choice in who to pursue and spend time with, in much the same way that the Crossbell and Cold Steel games do (and every other Persona-like in existence, for that matter, but Cold Steel is clearly the game's main inspiration). But then, it runs head-first into the game's actual plot which screams in your face as loudly as it can "AND THEN KOU AND SHIORI KISSED BECAUSE THEY LOVE EACH OTHER VERY MUCH THE END" which is generously a whole lot of Tell, Don't Show, and at worst completely unsupported. Aside from saving her in the very first chapter and her brief cameo in the hot springs, Kou and Shiori almost never interact unless you explicitly choose to make them do so via the bond events, and the few bits we do see of them doesn't paint them as anything more than childhood friends. Once Kou and Asuka form what will eventually become the XRC, pretty much every single chapter starts the same way: Kou talks to Ryouta/Shiori/Jun after class, tells them he can't hang out because of work/club/etc, and he immediately ditches them for his new, cooler friends. If you don't do Shiori's bond events, there is basically nothing in the text to support what the game insists is going on between them. Essentially, you end up with the worst of both worlds - a Plot Relationship that isn't supported by the very plot mandating it, and a choice-based system that ends up being meaningless because of the aforementioned Plot Relationship.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Trying to have its cake and eat it too is unfortunately something Falcom does way too much in a lot of its games, and not just for the romance parts. It's incredibly frustrating to watch truly surprising and clever twists and turns get undermined by the writers refusal to pull the trigger and follow through with consequences.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also I'm just going to throw this out there that while we were recording tonight, the game crossed a certain threshold where I have instantly and retroactively forgiven it of all its myriad sins.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Also I'm just going to throw this out there that while we were recording tonight, the game crossed a certain threshold where I have instantly and retroactively forgiven it of all its myriad sins.

It killed Ryouta?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Geemer posted:

It killed Ryouta?

I wish. But this is a very close second in terms of things I didn't know I wanted and was pleasantly surprised by it happening.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The ending credits Spika concert is just that good, huh?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
They finally gave Towa a gun and she Almost kills Ryouta with it?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 82: Welcome to Hell :siren:

The Tower of Refinement is here because Tokyo Xanadu wanted to make its occasional reminder that yes, it absolutely can repeatedly kick you in the dick and ruin your day, it just chooses not to most of the time.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
The game trying to remember your choices would get problematic fast. Imagine if you equipped/sold one of the ones on their previous layout, for instance. Someone on your team is going to be left with an empty slot, no matter what.

Gotta appreciate how you went through to change Master Cores and didn't notice the empty slots in that or gear.

Looking forward to see your eX+ zone suffering.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Only part way through the video at the moment but:

The "Real World Eclipse" stuff you guys briefly talked about? That's just Ys IX.

EDIT: And I made this comment literal seconds before you made it yourself after I un-paused the video.

Weeble fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 15, 2022

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- I also wouldn't say that Kou is simply too dumb to figure out something is wrong with Shiori. It's perhaps more accurate to say that he doesn't want to think about what it means, let alonesay what he's thinking out loud. When faced with unpleasant facts, clinging to any little bits of cover you can use for denial can be a comfort. Even if that can't last.
- It's certainly possible to put in code for the game to remembered what the old configuration of quartz was on people, and then auto-equip back to that. But that would gently caress up the builds for players who DID change the quartz setup that characters were using, which is hardly any better. Delegating the responsibility to the players to manage the setup is the only thing which makes sense, and it's also the most practical and easiest to implement.
- I think it makes sense to save the real world Eclipse action stuff for when the real world is fully sucked in, because this IS the point where the dimensions are converging. You've been complaining about repetitive stuff all game long. Would it not be repetitive to do real-world Eclipse fighting in earlier chapters and then here as well? And honestly the real world combat isn't the best because the combat arenas were designed for talking to NPC's, not fighting, so the less of that you have to do, the better.
- Huh... I don't see the "Lock" bar on Kou's portrait for that dungeon.
- This Pillar is definitely the most tiresome and difficult. And I had "Immunity to all Status Ailments" accessories on everyone since like Chapter 4.
- So yeah, you don't rescue Shio and Gorou. This time once you reach the midpoint, they come in to rescue you!
- If you want a Falcom game which uses the trope of Tiny Girl with a Huge Gun, Trails in the Sky has a 12-year old girl called Tita whose ultimate attack has her blasting away with a gatling gun bigger than she is.
- Where did Gotou get the sanctified ammo? It's implied that the gatling gun was property of the JNDF. Earlier, the JNDF had been established to have a supply of sanctified ammo thanks to their alliance with the Kronos Orden.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Towa better show up at the end of the game with like a shotgun or something. I loving swear, this game has one job left.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- I think it makes sense to save the real world Eclipse action stuff for when the real world is fully sucked in, because this IS the point where the dimensions are converging. You've been complaining about repetitive stuff all game long. Would it not be repetitive to do real-world Eclipse fighting in earlier chapters and then here as well? And honestly the real world combat isn't the best because the combat arenas were designed for talking to NPC's, not fighting, so the less of that you have to do, the better

I'm gonna disagree with this because I feel like it would be very easy to implement this *and* have it mesh with the idea that the world has been slowly drawn into the eclipse.

- Chapter 1/2 has nothing and functions exactly as it currently does in-game.
- Chapter 3 adds in the Ys 9 overworld fights; not a lot of them, maybe like 1-2 at most across the entire city, and maybe Asuka calls you to be like "yo this is a tiny fragment of the eclipse, it's no big deal right now but if we leave it alone there's a chance it eventually grows into a full dungeon so we should take care of them as we see them." They remain optional throughout the game, but do increase in both number and difficulty as the game continues.
- Starting in Chapter 5 or so, you begin having actual fights with greeds in the overworld. That scene where Asuka gets captured? Maybe you fight the hand, and then the second hand comes out of nowhere and spooks her, leading her to trap Kou while he's down, she runs off and gets captured, the plot continues as normal. The point is they are only done at times when the plot make sense to, so as to not wear out their welcome.
- This culminates in Chapter 8 when the entire city has been plunged into the eclipse and you get what basically happens in the game already; moving to a new area immediately throws you against a pack of greeds and you start having to save NPCs along the way who can now see what you're fighting.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 83: Orange is the New Blue :siren:

In retrospect, it actually makes sense that Jun wouldn't be playable in the final dungeon because he literally doesn't exist in the base game. Everywhere they've added him was in the side stories, so he won't be showing up until the postgame.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what's the difference between a hadoken and a gadoken

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

what's the difference between a hadoken and a gadoken
The former is a genuine energy ball that can blow stuff up, if either the user is strong enough or the plot demands it. The latter is described as being as strong as a slightly ki-enhanced slap to the face.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

In other words, Hadouken is the traditional fireball you’d get from a Ryu or Ken and Gadouken is what you get from Dan Hibiki, the joke character that parodies Art of Fighting, which itself I think was riffing on Street Fighter. :eng101:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- On my first playthrough I learned, regularly, that the game stops counting damage after you hit 999% damage taken.
- At least the lava tiles the boss drops are only temporary.
- In the interest of fairness, the LP is - quite understandably - skipping over a lot of unnecessary NPC interactions. Talking to NPC's while roaming can help flesh out characters, so a lot of the "lack of focus" the game seems to put on characters is really because Artix is choosing to not show much of the optional interactions. Otherwise the LP would take a lot more hours.

Artix posted:

I'm gonna disagree with this because I feel like it would be very easy to implement this *and* have it mesh with the idea that the world has been slowly drawn into the eclipse.

- Chapter 1/2 has nothing and functions exactly as it currently does in-game.
- Chapter 3 adds in the Ys 9 overworld fights; not a lot of them, maybe like 1-2 at most across the entire city, and maybe Asuka calls you to be like "yo this is a tiny fragment of the eclipse, it's no big deal right now but if we leave it alone there's a chance it eventually grows into a full dungeon so we should take care of them as we see them." They remain optional throughout the game, but do increase in both number and difficulty as the game continues.
- Starting in Chapter 5 or so, you begin having actual fights with greeds in the overworld. That scene where Asuka gets captured? Maybe you fight the hand, and then the second hand comes out of nowhere and spooks her, leading her to trap Kou while he's down, she runs off and gets captured, the plot continues as normal. The point is they are only done at times when the plot make sense to, so as to not wear out their welcome.
- This culminates in Chapter 8 when the entire city has been plunged into the eclipse and you get what basically happens in the game already; moving to a new area immediately throws you against a pack of greeds and you start having to save NPCs along the way who can now see what you're fighting.

That's fair, and I was a little wrong earlier because the school and hospital getting sucked into Eclipses do definitely count as the Eclipse bleeding into "reality".

I'm a little unsure what you mean by Ch 3 starting to add in overworld fights, but chapter 5 is when you start to have actual fights with greeds.

The hand fight in the fog would work, there could be a tough fight on shopping street that you "lose", and then there's a cutscene and Asuka seals you in the bubble and the story carrys on, that would probably be neat. But your suggestion would overall require a lot of tweaks to the premise.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 19, 2022

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- In the interest of fairness, the LP is - quite understandably - skipping over a lot of unnecessary NPC interactions. Talking to NPC's while roaming can help flesh out characters, so a lot of the "lack of focus" the game seems to put on characters is really because Artix is choosing to not show much of the optional interactions. Otherwise the LP would take a lot more hours.

For instance, in the LP of Cold Steel 1, there's an hour-long video just to cover everything that changed with NPCs...in a section 5 minutes before the end of the game.

So imagine about half an hour to an hour long video injected after each main story dungeon.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Falcom games are nothing if not verbose. NPCs often have two separate lines of dialog--often repeating what they said, just worded slightly differently, or with a bit more information--multiple times per section/chapter, sometimes in places you have no reason to be--sometimes with variations depending on who is in your party.

I learned to talk to people twice thanks to Xenoblade Chronicles--serving me well when I first played Trails in the Sky FC. But at least in the Trails series, there isn't a somewhat arcane affinity system built around talking to the right people at the right time of day at different parts of the story.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Cyouni posted:

For instance, in the LP of Cold Steel 1, there's an hour-long video just to cover everything that changed with NPCs...in a section 5 minutes before the end of the game.

So imagine about half an hour to an hour long video injected after each main story dungeon.

And if that sounds awful to play, imagine having to watch it! I did my best to condense the feel of all that dialogue without having to actually indulge reading it because life is short, and you're not going to convince me to care about Ryouta's UncleDad, no matter how hard you try.

:siren: Part 84: Too Many Bonds :siren:

Speaking of being overly verbose for no good reason, it's time to do the final bond events. It's a veritable buffet of bonding as we cash in all those message cards for vaguely romantic platitudes that are all going straight in the trash because the game thinks you care about Shiori.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Maybe you should have gone to her house at some point in your life

(No really, I'm assuming you've never actually gone to that zone, have you)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Soul to Burn is the best dungeon music :colbert: Hazy Moon is a close second

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
(the first part of) IT'S OVER! :toot::toot::toot:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- I also like that final bond theme as well.
- I didn't see Shiori's bond event here because I didn't find her very interesting until the twist. Maybe I'm just dumb, but I keep getting surprised when one of Falcom's trademark hidden villains shows up.
- Despite me not preferring her, I do find it credible that Kou cares a lot for her even if there isn't a whole ton of their relationship shown on-screen. I do agree that allowing players to pick while also having a favorite does try to serve two masters and thus somewhat fails at both.

Cyouni posted:

You couldn't actually go to her house. You can go to Kou's room, but leaving Kou's room just takes you to the world map.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Cyouni posted:

We can't go there at all until the postgame :ssh:

E: That said, the idea that despite how close they are supposed to be, Kou couldn't be bothered to walk next door every so often is surprisingly plausible.

Artix fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 23, 2022

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
You shouldn't go there, even when the game lets you.

Just go all in on the disconnect of the game telling you that you really care for Shiori, while you really don't.

Unless there's a sidequest or something that requires it.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Weeble posted:

Unless there's a sidequest or something that requires it.

How attached are you to your childhood best friend?

I don't know? What kind of loot do they drop if I defeat them?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 85: May I Offer You a Solar Egg in this Trying Time? :siren:

The tactical minds of the JSDF and Zodiac have been thoroughly outclassed by *checks notes* some high school math teacher. Meanwhile, Kou and the gang decide to put on a barbeque. Normal apocalypse stuff, you understand.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- I only ever saw this part when I did get Asuka's final bond event, so I was wondering what parts of it were different (it turned out to be surprisingly little). I'm glad the whole thing is not Asuka-exclusive, because I thought it was a very good scene for getting inside Kou's head.
- Yes, Kou does in fact call Asuka by her first name for the rest of the game if you get her final bond here.
- Fine, it'll take two seconds to look up the ingredients. Mead, Lunar Mutton, Solar Eggs, Ambrosia, Star Truffle. The description of the mutton says that it is impervious to spoilage,
- You cannot get more Golden Elements by going through the Pillar dungeons again. You can get more Golden Elements from a later dungeon, but they're also one-time only. I'm pretty sure that you can get more Golden Elements from a NG+ exclusive dungeon in the Epilogue, just doing a quick check of my armor at the start and end of the epilogue.

If anyone wants to see the final bond events that Artix couldn't get, I made a couple videos (with chapters):
Tokyo Xanadu All Final Bond Events (Part 1) (Towa, Gorou, Shio, Rion, Mitsuki, Yukki)
Tokyo Xanadu All Final Bond Events (Part 2) (Sora, Jun, Ryouta, Shiori, Asuka)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

EricFate posted:

Blade II Deck

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

EricFate posted:

0.1% chance of a Golden Element. The fight is not repeatable, because gently caress You.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 86: SPiKa Hot Spots :siren:

It's the final pair of sidequests, as our route to the end of the game is now blocked by nothing more than Sadie's weird medicine and making one last trip around the block to pick up Rion's crew.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

not pictured: Haruna's blessed minigun

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
That was certainly a question to end the video on.

Also I don't want the answer.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bofa Shi's nutz lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Kicking someone in the nuts is a state of mind. It transcends gender.