Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

njsykora posted:

when this thread was made Airpods didn't exist.
wait, that' can't be rig-[turns into pilar of ash]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Am I crazy or does an amp improve imaging? I'm playing Dying Light 2 for the first time since I got the amp and nearly leaped out of my skin as I heard a zombie breathe down my neck, but I could just be jumpy lol.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

njsykora posted:

Beats imo are straight up recommendable these days since they're basically bassier and cheaper Airpods Pro, the rumour about the upcoming redesign of the Pros is that it's straight up lifting the design of the Beats Fit.

In other news the Etymotics I bought from Drop have now drifted their ship date from January 21st to March 22nd.

Which etymotics did you order? My 3XR's are on their way already.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

2SEs. I was hoping to have them by now.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I don't hear stuff getting get a lot better than a stupid simple Radsone ES100. These days I might plug the es100 into an Aune B1S which just a pure class A amp (mobile). Got the B1s for $110 so not too bad.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Much as I love my ES100, my BTR5 has completely supplanted it. If the radsone had aptx-ll, a display, twice the power and usb-c I would consider it a contender, but it doesn't so it isn't. The app is really cool though and the EQ is a bit more useful.

e: also there's the qudelix which was made by the ES100 guy and has not only a full-blown built in parametric EQ, but they also baked in a shitload of curves from Crin and Oratory for specific headphones. Super rad if you're an eq nut.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 10, 2022

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Much as I love my ES100, my BTR5 has completely supplanted it. If the radsone had aptx-ll, a display, twice the power and usb-c I would consider it a contender, but it doesn't so it isn't. The app is really cool though and the EQ is a bit more useful.

e: also there's the qudelix which was made by the ES100 guy and has not only a full-blown built in parametric EQ, but they also baked in a shitload of curves from Crin and Oratory for specific headphones. Super rad if you're an eq nut.

Totally agreed. I have a special reason for the es100, being that is so light, I do ultralight running and use it as my main pocketable source w/ phone in backpack. In the event I say drop thing somehow, it just dangles on the headphone cable and won't fall off. Also, after almost 3 years my OG one's battery has lost quite a bit of runtime, so I popped it open an am going to replace said battery with a slightly larger model for more runtime. Maybe I can get 15 hours out of it :D

I can say the ES100 supported me on my biggest trail run which was 29 miles, 14 hours, 10k feet elevation gain, and a marathon above 11k feet. Hit 2x 12,000ft peaks and 2x 13,000s. I'm not sure I could have done it without good tunes propelling me.
[edit] Actually in case anyone cares, I took the ES100 and Shuoer EJ07: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVKUNg0b9iA

redeyes fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 10, 2022

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
That's fuckin rad and I need to go touch grass.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

As a general rule, if your headphones get loud enough without distortion, it doesn't hiss, and there's no weird phase or channel imbalance issues, then it's probably fine. In my experience with built-in headphone jacks in general there's around a 50/50 proposition it'll pass that test. Also, listen to a song you know and compare it against a source you're already familiar with to see if anything sounds obviously wrong.

Sounds good. I haven't noticed anything wrong with the audio coming out of the speakers, so it sounds like I'll just stick with them for now. (The speakers are a pair of Alesis Elevate 3s.)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

That's fuckin rad and I need to go touch grass.

Thank you sir!!! I feel good at least im not fart sniffing my iems. Actually using them.

On a related note Moondrop Kato: I prefer the Tanchjim Oxygen. I'm not sure whats going on but graphs show the Kato having at least the same bass if not more.. but that is not the case. In fact Kato is too lean in the lows for my tastes. Decent IEM but not for me. Matter of fact, almost all Moondrops have been bass shy for me. I usually end up EQing the low end a bit. Exception being Variations which I enjoy stock. Probably the only Moondrop with ample low end.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It seems to be the general trait from what I've seen that Tanchjim stuff has more bass than the Moondrop equivalent but otherwise they're super close. Though I don't think Kato vs Oxygen is the equal comparison, the Kato is closer in price to the Hana, with the Oxygen being more the equivalent of the Blessing 2.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

njsykora posted:

It seems to be the general trait from what I've seen that Tanchjim stuff has more bass than the Moondrop equivalent but otherwise they're super close. Though I don't think Kato vs Oxygen is the equal comparison, the Kato is closer in price to the Hana, with the Oxygen being more the equivalent of the Blessing 2.

Oh sorry, i should have mentioned O2 is on Drop for $200 bones.
[edit] on further reflection I prefer Hana 2.0 to Kato as well.

[2nd edit] I just got the tripowin x HBB Olina. It's as I hoped, it's AMAZING. It DOES have the O2 driver and has all the mojo of the O2.. for $100 and the fit is better. Get y'all some. Pretty sure it beats Kato like it means it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzPEV-86RNY

redeyes fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 13, 2022

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Softears Volume: REALLY cool, low cost set trying to be a top of the line style. Id say for some people it could be a winner without breaking the bank. Super amazing tight Beryllium bass, rich mids and OCD detail style treble. It's not going to beat any giants but it's a drat good set I can recommend for anyone with that taste.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
My earbuds keep falling out, I don't mind like screwing it into my ear if necessary, will triple flanges stay in?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Boba Pearl posted:

My earbuds keep falling out, I don't mind like screwing it into my ear if necessary, will triple flanges stay in?

possibly. It’s a function of tip material (ie foam vs rubber), tip diameter, tip shape, number of flanges, etc.

You can have all the flanges that you want and if the tip is too narrow for your wizard sleeve earholes then it won’t properly seal or form a secure/comfortable fit.

Your best bet is to get a multipack of tips that provides different commonly used sizes and shapes. Once you find the tip that works best for you it’s relatively trivial to work forwards from there with future IEMs, etc.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Boba Pearl posted:

Id try some Comply isolation tips. They don't fall out for me at all.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
comply tips rule. i bought some on the advice of this thread many years ago and i’ve been using them ever since. very comfy and haven’t fallen out in years of gym and bike use

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is there anything better out there than airpod maxes?
I just sat on a plane for 11 hours with my srh1540s and I think it’s time for wireless and noise cancelling. Also, I want to die.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Bape Culture posted:

Virtually everything. The build quality is nice and they do noise cancellation very well but the actual audio quality is not as good as Bose or Sony noise cancelling headphones and noise cancelling headphones in general set a very, very low bar when it comes to audio quality.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Bape Culture posted:

I just sat on a plane for 11 hours with my srh1540s and I think it’s time for wireless and noise cancelling. Also, I want to die.

Just get some bose qc35 or 45 or whatever the newest one is that isn't the 700. The Airpods Max are a stupid waste of aluminum. They're heavy, clunky, wildly expensive headphones that sound bad and still have worse noise cancelling than bose for twice the price. One does not buy noise cancelling headphones for the sound quality, you want comfort, good NC tech and portability and Apple fails all three.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
IEMs are the pro move because you can lean your head against the airplane window and sleep.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

For context and to establish that this isn't raw audiophile exceptionalism, I've seen reviewers who really like the Airpods Pro say the Max's are trash. If they were tuned the same it might be a decent thing but for some reason they tuned them to be super bassy, at which point there's nothing to distinguish them from the Sony equivalent, which is also super bassy but also a lot cheaper and has an actual case so you can take it places.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

My Jabra Elite 75t earbuds have better noise cancelling than my co-worker's AirPod Maxes.

Was honestly shocked at how bad the NC was for a pair of OTE cans that heavy.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

wolrah posted:

I bought a set of these to move up a price bracket after my second pair of Monoprice headphones cracked in the course of a month.

Dammit, of course right after I post this...

Here's my previous set of the cheap Monoprice headphones, broken in the same spot, which replaced another pair of the same that had also broken exactly there.

I have to be doing something wrong here, right? Or is expecting a set of lower end headphones to hold up to all-day use working from home too much? It's always the left side, in the middle of the section I have extended out. The right side is extended the same amount and doesn't seem to have any issues.

FWIW I either lay my headphones on my desk or hang them from one of those "Anchor" under-desk hooks when not using them so I don't think I'm putting any extra stresses on that side.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 15, 2022

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

wolrah posted:

I have to be doing something wrong here, right?

I don't think you are, I think your head shape just happens to stress cheap headphones at that spot more than other people. I would go with AKG K361 / 371 as they have a swivel point that will keep them from breaking like that. Or Beyerdynamic which solves the problem with thick teutonic steel.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I went with AKG's weird double headbands (usually the K240) in the end. Fragile in other ways, really good against this specific problem. And these days they have QC issues.

I've had nothing but bad luck with this problem and Beyerdynamics, to the point I immediately skip them these days.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Oh right that’s surprising. Whathifi which i usually like for reviews said they’re the best wireless headphones out there if you take money out the equation. And that the noise cancellation was untouchable. Guess I’ll have to just go try some other pairs out. I tried my buddy’s xm4s and was quite impressed but they were very synthetic sounding and quite cheaply made I thought.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
e: wrong thread

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

Oh right that’s surprising. Whathifi which i usually like for reviews said they’re the best wireless headphones out there if you take money out the equation. And that the noise cancellation was untouchable. Guess I’ll have to just go try some other pairs out. I tried my buddy’s xm4s and was quite impressed but they were very synthetic sounding and quite cheaply made I thought.

I love my Bose QC35 II's. Long life (surprisingly long), excellent noise cancelling ("Wait, you're standing in a datacenter?" when I turn on video). I'm not a great judge of audiophile qualities, but they are built to travel. Mine have been dropped onto pavement numerous times. They're 3 years old now and feel just as good as they did new.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

What Hifi reviews nearly everything on a scale from 4 to 5 stars with occasional 3 if it really sucks and isn't a British brand.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
So I've always been a complete luddite about applying EQ, it just always just seemed too finicky to manage profiles across devices, etc. Out of poo poo weather boredom however I've set up the Oratory PEQ curve for the one over ears set I own, the Hifiman Deva (it's the only over ear set I've owned that hasn't made me miserable in terms of comfort), and god drat it's a massive improvement. Turns out that when you clean up the midbass -> midrange transition sloppiness and eliminate the 10.5K treble murder spike it's a vastly superior headphone.

Might need to dabble in this on my IEMs with good resolution/technicalities.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
This is how I set up my EQ and I love it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Boba Pearl posted:

This is how I set up my EQ and I love it.

The 32hz peak arguably isn't doing much on a headphone. That's down in the range where you're more likely to feel sound in your chest than hear it. +12 is heavy handed enough that you may be overworking a driver into diminishing returns and distortion.

The 9.5k bump is in the area a lot of people would describe as shrill or fatiguing. Listeners with some hearing loss tend to like it though. It would be more customary to do that adjustment in the 5th band (the one that defaulted to 8k) rather than to spinning the second all the way up there, though. It just leaves you more flexibility.

If you like it, more power to you, though. Professionally, I'm asked to make a lot of adjustments I don't agree with to satisfy clients and talent. I also don't know what you're listening to.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 17, 2022

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Tripowin Olina: Turns out a bunch of my mods and tunings are in this IEM. I have been reporting to HBB for months now. He finally told me that some of these were implemented and the result is something I can stand behind. :D

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

Been on K7XX for the past five years or so but now it's starting to cut out in the left side if I wiggle the cup the wrong way. Should be a quick fix to open it up and resolder whatever wire is loose but it's also got me thinking an upgrade might be fun.

Anyone have experience with the Hifiman HE6, specifically the SE v2? I see a few used ones listed for sale locally and I'm curious but I figure I'd probably have to upgrade my amp from my Vali 1 to something beefier. I remember the original HE6 had a reputation for being really power hungry.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Here is my pure shill review of Olina:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJf2pVPieVk

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I listened to the Sonys again and the boses and the b&os and ended up buying the maxes.

The b&os sounded better but nearly double the price and I found the anc worse. Will see how I get on long term I guess.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Well count me among the people who's been burned on Moondrop/Arias' QA. My right driver has become quieter than the left. I tried swapping drivers between the R/L positions on the cable and it's still the same driver which is more quiet (L after swapping R to it), so it's not the cable. I guess I'll have to see if Shenzhenaudio will respect warranty and how much it'll set me back to send them back in case they do. I don't see any earwax on them and I tried them in different ears after the swap so it isn't my ears either.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dessel posted:

Well count me among the people who's been burned on Moondrop/Arias' QA. My right driver has become quieter than the left. I tried swapping drivers between the R/L positions on the cable and it's still the same driver which is more quiet (L after swapping R to it), so it's not the cable. I guess I'll have to see if Shenzhenaudio will respect warranty and how much it'll set me back to send them back in case they do. I don't see any earwax on them and I tried them in different ears after the swap so it isn't my ears either.

Quite honestly the HBB Olina can be a friend to you. I hope you can listen to them as an upgrade to the Arias. I Personally think they kill them dead.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

redeyes posted:

Here is my pure shill review of Olina:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJf2pVPieVk
what is that science fair project