Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Yoshi-P says no NFTs in FFXIV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm in the early 60's with BLM now. I don't think I quite get Fire/Ice 4 yet, not sure how they're supposed to fit into the rotation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OhFunny posted:

Yoshi-P says no NFTs in FFXIV.

Was just coming here to post that. Thank god.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Has Yoshi-P always had all those rings?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm in the early 60's with BLM now. I don't think I quite get Fire/Ice 4 yet, not sure how they're supposed to fit into the rotation.

I'm in the same place. My understanding is that you start with Blizzard 3 to get Umbral Ice up, then Blizzard 4 to get Umbral Hearts to reduce Fire spell cost, Transpose to Astral Fire, then cast Fire 4 until there's only a few seconds of AF left (use Fire 3 to refresh), and go back to Blizzard when you're out of MP? I don't have an intuitive grasp of the timing yet, which precise spells to use (I'm assuming 3s), or where to weave in Thunder/Flare/etc. I probably just need more practice.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Electric Phantasm posted:

He is always thick with bling.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Fire 4 is your new primary spell. Cast it as much as you can(3 times) before you need to throw out a Fire 1 to refresh astral fire.
Cast Blizzard 4 once during your ice phase to get the umbral hearts buff, which lets you cast your next three Fire 4s for less MP and stay in fire phase longer.

Antivehicular posted:

I'm in the same place. My understanding is that you start with Blizzard 3 to get Umbral Ice up, then Blizzard 4 to get Umbral Hearts to reduce Fire spell cost, Transpose to Astral Fire, then cast Fire 4 until there's only a few seconds of AF left (use Fire 3 to refresh), and go back to Blizzard when you're out of MP? I don't have an intuitive grasp of the timing yet, which precise spells to use (I'm assuming 3s), or where to weave in Thunder/Flare/etc. I probably just need more practice.

You don't need transpose anymore once you have Blizzard 3 and Fire 3 which will swap you to the full stack opposite phase as a free/fastcast.
Use Fire 1 to refresh timer(unless you happen to have a firestarter proc, then you can use 3). Refresh Thunder while in umbral ice. Flare for AOE.

Gruckles fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 19, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yes.

They're his power limiters.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Your core rotation in the 60's will be something like B3 -> B4 -> T3 -> F3 -> F4 (x3) -> F1 -> F4 (x3) -> repeat.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Antivehicular posted:

Don't use Transpose when you have Fire 3 available. It will switch you from UI to AF3. You use Fire 1 to refresh, since it's faster and cheaper.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Okay, that makes sense. I really think I just need more practice, but I've been picking up a ton of classes lately and have lots of stuff in the early 60's doldrums that I don't play enough.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

OK, wow. I was spamming Fire 3 -> Flare when I had barely any MP left -> Ice 3 x2 or so -> back to Fire 3 spamming

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

6.1 Live Letter March 4, don't expect too many concrete details tonight

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Help Im Alive posted:

I finally got around to doing Orbonne Monastery when it came up in alliance roulette today and I am a big fan thunder god's endless barrage of extremely FFT voice lines

"Open your eyes to the darkness and drown in its loveless embrace. The gods will not be watching."

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

OK, wow. I was spamming Fire 3 -> Flare when I had barely any MP left -> Ice 3 x2 or so -> back to Fire 3 spamming

Flare is just for AoE. You do eventually get a single target version of Flare, but not until level 72.

Your AoE rotation is B2 -> Freeze -> T2/T4 -> F2 -> F2 -> F2 -> Flare -> Flare -> repeat

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Antivehicular posted:

This was already answered in detail but to add on Transpose use, at this point you're only going to want to use Transpose to switch to Umbral phase immediately after a trash pull so your MP starts recovering pretty quickly (rather than using Lucid Dreaming)

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Ok, so flare and freeze are only for aoe. Wait, how can you do two flares in a row? Doesn’t flare take all your MP, and you can’t use flare if you have 0 mp?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Ok, so flare and freeze are only for aoe. Wait, how can you do two flares in a row? Doesn’t flare take all your MP, and you can’t use flare if you have 0 mp?

quote:

Umbral Heart Bonus: Nullifies Astral Fire's MP cost increase for Fire spells and reduces MP cost for Flare by one-third
the flare cost reduction might be added by a trait later

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Haha, oh right!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Umbral Hearts reduce the cost by 1/3rd, once you unlock those you can flare spam

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Umbral Heart reduce the MP cost of Flare too(but it also consumes any additional hearts you have remaining). So you cast it when you have 1 left, and can cast a second time.
You can also use Manafont when it's off cooldown to get the MP to cast a third one, which pairs great with using Triplecast on all of them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh yeah, Fire 3 isn't for spamming. Its job is to switch you into full Astral Fire from Umbral Ice. Same for Blizzard 3 but in reverse. Fire 4 is your main damage spell, with Fire 1 being there to refresh Astral Fire roughly every third Fire 4.

Blizzard 4 is for Umbral Hearts which other people have explained already.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I did not realize Flare costs all your Umbral Hearts, not just one, oops

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Red Metal posted:

the flare cost reduction might be added by a trait later

There used to be a trait that let you use Umbral Hearts with Flare but it's baseline functionality now, so as soon as you have access to Umbral Hearts you can take advantage of it. It's a very nice change.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

YoshiP says he's not gonna leave XIV until either the CEO tells him to (he will fight Matsuda on this even) or he dies.

E: Graphical update confirmed in the leadup to 7.0

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

HOLY poo poo GRAPHICS UPDATE

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

YoshiP says he's not gonna leave XIV until either the CEO tells him to (he will fight Matsuda on this even) or he dies.

Dying might not stop him either!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Graphical update apparently in the works for 7.0 :eyepop:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Waffleman_ posted:

E: Graphical update confirmed in the leadup to 7.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chLGfUIQeiw&t=11s

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

You might be able to still use an Elixir/Ether to squeeze in a fourth Flare if you really, really want to, but it's not necessary by any means

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Arist posted:

HOLY poo poo GRAPHICS UPDATE

PS4 still supported by 7.0, so I wonder if such updates will be PS5&PC only.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MechaX posted:

You might be able to still use an Elixir/Ether to squeeze in a fourth Flare if you really, really want to, but it's not necessary by any means

yea I'm sure there's some super sweaty window to fit in a fourth sometimes but your ideal BLM moment is 99.99999% of the time lining up triple cast/manafont to be able to machine gun out three Flares reliably. If you're doing that congrats you're BLMin

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

OhFunny posted:

PS4 still supported by 7.0, so I wonder if such updates will be PS5&PC only.

I doubt the graphic update will be that massive, just better than what we have now.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I guess I have 2 years to find a new graphics card. I don't like my odds.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

In the future, they're going to make the game better :hmmyes:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They want to break out of the "MMO" and be an RPG people can enjoy with friends or alone

Trusts will be added to all MSQ dungeons and 4 man trials throughout 6.1-6.5

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

yea I'm sure there's some super sweaty window to fit in a fourth sometimes but your ideal BLM moment is 99.99999% of the time lining up triple cast/manafont to be able to machine gun out three Flares reliably. If you're doing that congrats you're BLMin

You have a swiftcast, 4x flare!

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Holy poo poo, trust expansion!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wow, they're going to add Trusts to all main scenario dungeons

My guess is that story trials are all going to have Trusts eventually too, if not in the 6.x series but starting in 7.0. Already got one story trial with Trusts, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Yeah, they're going to do the FFXI route and beef the gently caress out of Trusts for those who want to go that route

With that said, there's still going to be a lot of dungeons/pretty much every trial except two that are still going to require human interaction