Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

power crystals posted:

That's because N defines a gauge (9mm) not a scale, and combined with real-world railroads having various gauges, you get stuff like "american" N being 1:160 and "japanese" N being 1:150. They work together just fine because all the important parts are the same size, but they can look kinda weird side by side.

G is a similar mess of "we use this track for 5 different scales."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

power crystals posted:

That's because N defines a gauge (9mm) not a scale, and combined with real-world railroads having various gauges, you get stuff like "american" N being 1:160 and "japanese" N being 1:150. They work together just fine because all the important parts are the same size, but they can look kinda weird side by side.
That's kind of just saying that you define scale by the distance between the tracks instead of the wargaming method of "to the eye"/"to the top of the head". It seems designed to cause all kinds of terrible problems, just like wargaming scale did.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Less than you might think, because the distance between the rails is a defined space. It isn't abstract like "eye high." Using different scales with the same track just references the actual prototype gauge. But, they tend to be geographical distinct as well.

Japanese railways were more commonly Cape Gauge instead of Standard, so they adjusted the scale to reflect that rails 9mm apart are Cape Gauge.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Due to how rail wheels work it looks like the scale of the actual train and the sleepers themselves is irrelevant if the gauge of the track is correct. Just gotta get it to slot into place and you're fine for straight track at least right?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pretty much. The difference in the spacing and detail of the ties/sleepers is negligible anyhow, because there's so much variety in the spacing and most of the details are out of scale in the first place.

You do see offerings that account for the scale. On30 track is gauged as 30 inches and can rely on HO mechanisms. They'll run on HO track. But, the ties are way too small and way too close so they do make On30 track.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The more I learn about train scale the more I feel like someone invented a way to make nerds mad for centuries to come, and I feel like that someone should have an account here if he wasn't dead for over a century :allears:

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

The wikipedia list of railway modelling scales is a good read if you want to go insane.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

engessa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd7_STihkZ4

New series where people build small things. Might be of interest to some of you!

Watched the first two of these, there are some pretty talented people on here. Also some not so talented and some dicks.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Imgur's a steaming pile of trash, so this is all I've got at the moment, but I'm finally done with this. I'm calling it "A Colds December's Night" and it depicts a King Tiger crew on the western front sometime just before Wacht an Rhine.

- Takom King Tiger with full interior (completely built and weathered) and internal lighting
- Fruil tracks
- Eduard PE skirts
- Custom sculpted figures (heavily modified MiniArt set) including a dude inside the tank
- Fire LEDs from Evan Designs
- Scratch made bits and pieces for the disassembled small arm
- Scratch made pine trees

https://i.imgur.com/F7iDcxG.mp4

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 14, 2022

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Looks good, now did you take the photos? I had a hell of a time with my fire effect.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Thanks. Photographing it was a PITA. The "night" shots were done with a single overhead light (cellphone) positioned far away. Trying to simulate moonlight.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Guys, would you like to do some open source intel work (IE see if you can figure out what kind of coating this is):

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/43938/f-35-and-f-117-spotted-flying-with-mysterious-mirror-like-skin

American stealth aircraft have been spotted flying with a new experimental finish, one that on some angles is almost mirror like, while on others it is translucent:

It's believed to be some kind of reflective IR thing.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nebakenezzer posted:

Guys, would you like to do some open source intel work (IE see if you can figure out what kind of coating this is):

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/43938/f-35-and-f-117-spotted-flying-with-mysterious-mirror-like-skin

American stealth aircraft have been spotted flying with a new experimental finish, one that on some angles is almost mirror like, while on others it is translucent:

It's believed to be some kind of reflective IR thing.

I suspect it's variations on the existing theme: metal oxide layers that absorb radar while also acting like sunglasses for the entire cockpit. It only looks transparent sometimes for the same reason that mirrored sunglasses don't look like mirrors to the wearer. There's always research happening on being a bit better, cheaper, etc.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Clearly an experimental treatment of Tamiya Clear White.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Pretty sure that's just floor polish. That poo poo can do anything.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Classified: Operation Future FP

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

we Pledge allegiance to the flag

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I suspect it's variations on the existing theme: metal oxide layers that absorb radar while also acting like sunglasses for the entire cockpit. It only looks transparent sometimes for the same reason that mirrored sunglasses don't look like mirrors to the wearer. There's always research happening on being a bit better, cheaper, etc.

Have they managed to fix the issue of it being water-soluble is the real question.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have they managed to fix the issue of it being water-soluble is the real question.

That was the stealth coating on the F-22 specifically, but yes, they fixed it. Or rather they replaced it with a re-engineered coating. God knows whether anything is fixed.

Incidentally with my previous post I thought we were talking about the canopy, not the body of the jet. I was viewing the post on a fucky screen and couldn't see the difference on the body. And god forbid I click any links while half-reading posts during a meeting.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Big magnet for organizing iron filings, Future FP, bunch of industrial dryers

Also as a party piece, it can change the color of markings depending on where you are

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

Big magnet for organizing iron filings, Future FP, bunch of industrial dryers

Please stop doxxing my shopping cart.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Goddamnit. Neither of the AFV Club one-piece track sets fit the RFM Firefly. Both are too short. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

On the plus side, I guess I get to start a new kit today. So, yay, I guess. :sigh:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Did you glue the rear tensioners in place? They've got that extra lopsidedness so you can adjust track tension, depending on how much slack you need. Alternatively you could just saw them off and put 'em back in place at the right position.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

grassy gnoll posted:

Did you glue the rear tensioners in place? They've got that extra lopsidedness so you can adjust track tension, depending on how much slack you need. Alternatively you could just saw them off and put 'em back in place at the right position.

You can do this even if they were never designed to move. It will look righter than a trackless tank.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
The idler isn't glued down and even at it's idlest(?) it's still about 1/2" short. I've got a set of Asuka tracks coming from an ebay seller. He gave me the length before I ordered, and they sound about right. 3/4" longer than the AFV Club set, anyway. If this doesn't work, I think I can do some surgery with the AFV Club sets to graft together a long enough run. In the end it's more work, but at least I have an option; turning up another track sprue is proving impossible.

I've read a couple reviews of this kit and they all panned it for being impossibly difficult. In my opinion, aside from the tracks, it has been an extremely enjoyable build that has fit like a glove. The parts count is fairly average and everything has fit really well with minimal fiddliness. Even the tracks aren't awful once you get the hang of them. They just needed to include one more sprue of them to account for the inevitable gently caress ups.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
What's a good online retailer for scale model kits in the US? I've been thinking of getting back into the hobby, after almost twenty years (I think I was maybe twelve the last time I worked on a kit). I bought a really cool Tamiya Porsche 959, but I think I'll work on something more simple before I dive into that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I like https://www.scalehobbyist.com/ mainly because their paint collection is shockingly well indexed. You can make it show you all of their purple enamels (they have10) in four clicks from the home page, and then drill down by vendor.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

DrankSinatra posted:

What's a good online retailer for scale model kits in the US? I've been thinking of getting back into the hobby, after almost twenty years (I think I was maybe twelve the last time I worked on a kit). I bought a really cool Tamiya Porsche 959, but I think I'll work on something more simple before I dive into that.

Andyshobbyhq.com is a good online. They are located here in Arizona and they have a brick and mortar store as well with a good selection.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
Thanks! Those both look great!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Sprue Brothers is pretty great. Huge selection of everything.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Andy also has a really good YouTube channel where he does reviews and builds. Definitely worth a watch.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Sprue Brothers and scale hobbyist are my go to shops. Avoid kitlinx. Their customer service is abysmal.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Megahobby.com and modelroundup.com have a pretty good selection of car kits as well. I've made a couple orders with Mega and have been happy with them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
More changes to my hobby setup. After I recently built the expanded shelving to the side of my work area, it worked great, but I got to thinking that my paints would be better served front and center. I used to have a trio of Ikea picture ledges, which were filled with glues and additives and a random mix of some of my paints, seen below.

So these last few days I moved all the supplementary products over on to my new side shelves, and built some new dedicated paint racks. These sit right in front of me, giving quick access to all my hobby paints. Built with some scrap for the frame, and some new poplar slats for the inner shelves. I used some leftover coroplast sheet I had from building the new airbrush spray booth as a backer, so the paints aren't rubbing on the wall.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I am envious of your paint selection and storage accommodations.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Just popping in to say that while I haven't done any recent modeling, I did rewatch Plasmo's Viper Mk7 video recently. Sadly, that kit isn't available for a decent price anymore so I can't even buy it and leave it in my closet for a year while I pretend I'm totally going to build it soon.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

This picture made me measure my painting table to see if I can fit it against the wall rather than the window like it is now so I can put up shelves like you. Great setup.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Gewehr 43 posted:

I am envious of your paint selection and storage accommodations.

I do have a lot of paints, but I was cheap about it. Basically both the Vallejo Game and Air paints I have were all bought on sales I found. Basically $1 a bottle when I bought them. Most of the rest I bought piecemeal on a schedule, so like every paycheck I would pop into Michaels and buy a bottle of the Golden Acrylics or the FW Inks. Or if I was in a model shop once a month, perfect time to buy a bottle or two of AK/Ammo enamel wash/effects paints. Everyone can have a big paint selection if they buy stuff in small batches regularly, instead of looking at buying 200 paints once and balking at the price, which I often see people do.

Just about the only thing I did buy in a large batch were the AK 3rd Gen Acrylics. I bought 3 bottles at a local store, and loved them instantly. They've performed better than any hobby paint I've ever used. Great on the brush, go down smooth, very opaque, separate less in the bottle than any paint I've seen. I ordered a bunch of the sets from AK's website after that, and they've all been great. Now that AK has expanded the line into military colors, and pre-thinned airbrush paints, I'm looking at make AK 3rd Gen my primary paint, and will fully replace the Vallejo over time with AK.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I also do this, and so I have a ton of discontinued paints from different manufacturers that are all in different form factors so it's hard to store on anything but a flat shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Ensign Expendable posted:

I also do this, and so I have a ton of discontinued paints from different manufacturers that are all in different form factors so it's hard to store on anything but a flat shelf.

Almost all my paints stay in fairly good condition, with the exception of Citadel paints. The ones I have that were in the hexagon containers seemed to last forever, but every paint pot after that has been less and less paint and less and less shelf life. gently caress Corax White or whatever, I have gotten some that went clumpy and bad in just the few months they were on the shelf at the FLGS.