Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The SA-Mart thread sees a fair bit of traffic. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679632

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
If I have Necroduality and Ashnod's Altar out and I play Rot Hulk, can I sacrifice the Rot hulk immediately and have the cloned Rot hulk bring back the original out and continue endlessly duping them for infinite mana and bringing all my zombies out from the graveyard?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Dizz posted:

If I have Necroduality and Ashnod's Altar out and I play Rot Hulk, can I sacrifice the Rot hulk immediately and have the cloned Rot hulk bring back the original out and continue endlessly duping them for infinite mana and bringing all my zombies out from the graveyard?

Yes, just sacrifice the original with the Necroduality trigger on the stack. You could mill the table out with Altar of Dementia instead of making big mana, too.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Elysiume posted:

What's the best way to sell high-value cards these days? I have an old judge promo Yawgmoth's Will and don't play nearly enough these days to justify holding onto an $800+ card.

Easiest? SSG or Card Kingdom buylist.
Greatest return? Individual sales, to a FLGS or its at-convention presence or setting up a sales account on TCGPlayer or eBay.

When I sold out of the game, I just buylisted everything because I did not feel it was worth my time to extract the extra value. Once you factor in going to the post office dozens of times over months and months instead of just 3-5 times total, it ceased to make any sense to me to be arsed. For a single card, that is less of an issue so you could try and get max price on that possibly. I have heard cons used to be the best place to get the highest value for your cards, but I don't know if that continues to be true, particularly in the times of Covid.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Batterypowered7 posted:

Yes, just sacrifice the original with the Necroduality trigger on the stack. You could mill the table out with Altar of Dementia instead of making big mana, too.

yeah I got Ashnod's and Dementia, but not Phyrexian sadly. too rich for my blood

E: do companions give my deck color identity? im thinking of making a ninja tribal deck but it only seems like you need a blue + black commander for it to really shine, but im considering Nashi as my commander. is there a way i can cheat in more color identities with companions or something?

Dizz fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 19, 2022

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Dizz posted:

yeah I got Ashnod's and Dementia, but not Phyrexian sadly. too rich for my blood

E: do companions give my deck color identity? im thinking of making a ninja tribal deck but it only seems like you need a blue + black commander for it to really shine, but im considering Nashi as my commander. is there a way i can cheat in more color identities with companions or something?

Nope. Companions need to match your commander(s)' color identities, like a card in the 99.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Your commander must also maintain your Companion’s special conditions.

https://twitter.com/mtgcal/status/1495040360548118533?s=21

I have no idea who this guy is or if Playing w/ Power is good content but this raises an interesting point or two. You can’t answer everything and the solution to annoying cards isn’t always just to shoot them with magic guns.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 19, 2022

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

From what I've seen on IHYD eps that has a member of Playing with Power they seem to be pretty knowledgeable, and I am once again reminded to seek them out and check out their content.

That's a good tweet.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ManaCurves/status/1494790908708933633?cxt=HHwWgsCi8ayayL4pAAAA

The tweet below yours sounds like it was a kick rear end time. Ruining a Wheel of Fortune tho. :v:

Edit: woaaaahh totally DIFFERENT Playing with Power than what was on IHYD, https://mobile.twitter.com/PWPMtG ,I thought Higher was part of a collective or something, serves me right for not looking it up.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 19, 2022

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Bust Rodd posted:

I have no idea who this guy is or if Playing w/ Power is good content but this raises an interesting point or two. You can’t answer everything and the solution to annoying cards isn’t always just to shoot them with magic guns.
Aside from the 100 card singleton meaning high variance, I think the fact that EDH used the Vintage card pool is also a big identity. That means in addition to the good interaction and good value, you need strong threats/"questions".

Not to start the Tergrid discussion again,but if Tergrid is on one side of the table, but elsewhere you see Koma, and elsewhere someone has a Seedborn Muse + Thrasios, and elsewhere someone has Winota + 3 dorks ready to swing, the threat math is really dire - you can't stop them all. Likewise you have cards like Rhystic Study that will easily run away with a game, or Dauthi Voidwalker that will eviscerate graveyard-based decks, or Rule of Law that will kill storm decks. You have decks that can generate a massive mana advantage and then pump it into a commander, really all kinds of things can put a deck into an advantageous position, you need to pay attention.

If every deck has 20 strong threats, they don't need tutors to say "answer this or lose" because they're going to draw some of those threats. And I personally think the game works better if it shakes out that the board can never really be clear of genuine threats (including the idea that a White Knight is not a genuine threat even if you left it alone the entire game), you can just slow the threats down enough that your gameplan can pull ahead.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I agree completely. The game HAS to end sometime. I am playing Commander as much for the late game as I am for the early and mid game, I want all of it, not just the set up

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Jiro posted:

Edit: woaaaahh totally DIFFERENT Playing with Power than what was on IHYD, https://mobile.twitter.com/PWPMtG ,I thought Higher was part of a collective or something, serves me right for not looking it up.

I think it is the same group? MTGCal's bio links to PWPMtG's twitter, and the IHYD tweet about the ep says that's where Higher is from:

https://twitter.com/hate_your_deck/status/1494672802200399877

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Upsetting responses but at least it saves me a headache. still unsure how i want to do a ninja deck. It still feels super weird with how I'd want it to operate

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Dizz posted:

Upsetting responses but at least it saves me a headache. still unsure how i want to do a ninja deck. It still feels super weird with how I'd want it to operate

Pumping card advantage through yuriko and doming everyone for 16 life via draco is loads of fun.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
There's a lot of crossover among EDH and cEDH content creators. There are at least a few folks who are on multiple podcasts/playgroups. Higher is one of them. Cal (PWP Cal, not TMS Cal) is another I think.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Crossover is kind of a mindstay of content creation.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So what's been everyone's experience in slotting in new Kamigawa cards into existing decks or building something out from a legendary from there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYI7RwvOac4

Prof has a Kickstarter collab with Gamegenic for a new box.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 25, 2022

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Jiro posted:

So what's been everyone's experience in slotting in new Kamigawa cards into existing decks or building something out from a legendary from there?

Making sure the Satoru player spends mana to counter my dumb poo poo instead of leaving mana open to ninjitsu out their dumb poo poo.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
drat I will almost certainly buy that. Prof knows his deck boxes better than some pros know their own format

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Wish it was on Gamefound or somewhere else, and not known cryptofuckers KS.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jiro posted:

Let's see what Format Founder, Savior, and Thread Favorite Sheldon Menery has been up to: https://articles.starcitygames.com/select/the-great-kamigawa-neon-dynasty-commander-deck-update/

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Jiro posted:

I've built Isshin, Two Heavens As One here, and been having a blast. Sure, I don't have Aurelia the Warleader to get ridiculous, but it's still fun as poo poo.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
NEO is pretty decent. Lots of little role players for the 99 and nothing too OP from a new commander standpoint. Design is clearly leaning towards “let’s not do kitchen sink commanders anymore” and it shows.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Balon posted:

NEO is pretty decent. Lots of little role players for the 99 and nothing too OP from a new commander standpoint. Design is clearly leaning towards “let’s not do kitchen sink commanders anymore” and it shows.

Nothing too OP while still being cool and competitively viable. What a drat good set.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Aniodia posted:

I've built Isshin, Two Heavens As One here, and been having a blast. Sure, I don't have Aurelia the Warleader to get ridiculous, but it's still fun as poo poo.

Unfortunately Aurelia isn't as insane as you'd first think since the untap happens right away, so only vigilant creatures get to attack thrice. Still owns tho.

I thought Raiyuu would be pretty bad because of the attack alone thing. Maybe with good equipment? How's he performed for you?

Here's my build https://www.moxfield.com/decks/LA8EIzZ1tEemSMCQyxtBqQ

I kinda want to replace mizzium mortar and kiki since triple red is rough with the budget mana base

I'm also unsure about the "deal 1 to each opponent" creatures/enchantments, they've been kinda underwhelming.

Would also love some more cards to protect from wipes/removal

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Iirc the line with Aurelia is flickering her or something for unlimited combats? Could have heard it wrong.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Framboise posted:

Nothing too OP while still being cool and competitively viable. What a drat good set.

1000% - everything is cool and unique and exciting but not “this is terrible for the format”

I think it’ll go down as one of the best received sets in a long time (for commander at least)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Framboise posted:

Iirc the line with Aurelia is flickering her or something for unlimited combats? Could have heard it wrong.

Helm of the host will do it

You can run ilharg the raze boar and use him to drop her
You can also use godo same way

nvm those wont work it's an attack trigger

You could also use that new mirror and the myriad blade thing.

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 26, 2022

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Let's see what Format Founder, Savior, and Thread Favorite Sheldon Menery has been up to: https://articles.starcitygames.com/select/the-great-kamigawa-neon-dynasty-commander-deck-update/

He used the word "amazeballs" in the second line and I stopped reading.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

NEO is a great set tho

I pulled a Jin Gitaxias and a ton of other cool poo poo. I'm looking at making a mono-B ninja deck, but I haven't had much time to really roll any ideas around very much. I might brew this weekend.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Balon posted:

1000% - everything is cool and unique and exciting but not “this is terrible for the format”

I think it’ll go down as one of the best received sets in a long time (for commander at least)

Honestly that seems to be the sentiment across most formats. Limited rules in this set, and it looks like there have been fun additions to Modern and Standard. Might genuinely be one of the best sets in a long time.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Apparently Kappa Cannoneer sees play in Legacy, and since the only way to get it on MTGO is from chests, it's going for like 110 tix. Only ~$20 on paper, which is what, half the cost of the deck?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Batterypowered7 posted:

Apparently Kappa Cannoneer sees play in Legacy, and since the only way to get it on MTGO is from chests, it's going for like 110 tix. Only ~$20 on paper, which is what, half the cost of the deck?

It's a solid pickup, that deck. I really like that they're doing a lot better with building focused decks on a single theme rather than trying to focus on 3 different commanders leading to just a messy build.

I don't really like that Prof kinda put it down for low value while praising past precons, because the ones he rated high in value are far below the value of this one. There's some solid value cards in the deck and it's very good straight out of the box. I wouldn't feel too bummed breaking it out at a casual table. I'd even expect it to do well.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The U/W vehicle is also out of the box the best cEDH option for Azorious. You become the de facto Iso-Rev deck in the format because you have an outlet but are not in Dimir, and Shorikai themselves is in the supremely unique position of being a commander that wins through Humility. White cards have literally never been better than they are right now, you could pick either Poly-Tyrant builds for more linear gameplay OR just absolutely load up on your favorite Azorious control cards and play the long game while finally having a definitive win con in your colors that doesn’t take 30 minds to grind your opponents into flour.

I’m not sure precisely how I would build the deck, but I know I wouldn’t really want to run it without Dranith Magistrate, Lavinia, Gilded Drake, etc, but I would still run Hullbreaker Horror for sure… my buddy is building it with his birthday money, I’ll see how it turns out.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

The U/W vehicle is also out of the box the best cEDH option for Azorious. You become the de facto Iso-Rev deck in the format because you have an outlet but are not in Dimir, and Shorikai themselves is in the supremely unique position of being a commander that wins through Humility. White cards have literally never been better than they are right now, you could pick either Poly-Tyrant builds for more linear gameplay OR just absolutely load up on your favorite Azorious control cards and play the long game while finally having a definitive win con in your colors that doesn’t take 30 minds to grind your opponents into flour.

I’m not sure precisely how I would build the deck, but I know I wouldn’t really want to run it without Dranith Magistrate, Lavinia, Gilded Drake, etc, but I would still run Hullbreaker Horror for sure… my buddy is building it with his birthday money, I’ll see how it turns out.

Same dude that had a killer Prosper list? Link a list once your buddy is done!

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
How does Sisay, Weatherlight Captain work with Esika/prismatic birdge? She can only fetch out the Esika side right?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is there a creature that Kinnan can flip into that can tutor/fetch Basalt?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Not on color, Blue has four or five that can do it but they're all human. Red has Goblin Engineer and Hoarding Dragon but there's an extra step for each.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

drat, looks like this deck is going to be slightly above braindead in terms of pilot skill required. Thanks!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

fadam posted:

drat, looks like this deck is going to be slightly above braindead in terms of pilot skill required. Thanks!

Transmute artifact etc.. will do it though, anyway this is better than hoping to flip them unless you had like a lot of them. Also just, freed from the real and pemmins aura with any dork that can generate blue and green (birds, noble hierarch are the easiest)

Though maybe you want artifacts and not enchantments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

Transmute artifact etc.. will do it though, anyway this is better than hoping to flip them unless you had like a lot of them. Also just, freed from the real and pemmins aura with any dork that can generate blue and green (birds, noble hierarch are the easiest)

Though maybe you want artifacts and not enchantments?

My meta is really stax heavy these days so I tuned the deck to be closer to Higher's version on the DDB so I can turn my extra mana into higher % flips (22 hits, 8 of which are huge threats, not as many as I'd like but I don't think I can fit more without compromising my average opener). I'm still running Reshape, Tezz, Transmute Artifact, and Moon Silver key to get the Basalt, and I have Vault/Prophet/Thrasios/Mirror as the payoffs, but I'm probably ~two turns slower than the builds that are tuned to fetch a Basalt + payoff. Was mostly just hoping there would be some creature I can flip into that could get me a Basalt and end the game, but that's not going to happen without some sort of hulk pile I don't think. Bust Rodd is going to get the last laugh because I'm seriously considering running a Nyx Bloom Ancient in here.

fadam fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 3, 2022