Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

"Calf rope"? I am... unfamiliar with this particular saying...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

MockingQuantum posted:

"Calf rope"? I am... unfamiliar with this particular saying...

quote:

One child seizes a handful of another's hair (probably originally a girl's pigtail) and keeps pulling until the victim says “calf rope.” From this usage, to say calf rope gets the general meaning of to “give in, surrender, admit defeat.”

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Huh, yeah, that's a totally new one to me.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

MockingQuantum posted:

Huh, yeah, that's a totally new one to me.
Same here. Looking it up myself, apparently it's a highly regional term(unsurprisingly from the regions Johnson's from).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

For folks not quite nerdy enough: the reason Tribbles were such a Trouble is because they never stop loving.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I was unpopular—mocked by my peers, disdained by my elders, shunned by women—but then I learned to play the harmonica.

None of that changed but hey, I can play the harmonica.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

SANTA ROYALE COMMUNITY COLLEGE

The Phantom

I may as well add it to this here.

davidspackage posted:

I know it's not really such a good idea for a daily strip format but I still think this is really cool.

Pooch Cafe

Sometimes I do not in fact lol when I say lol. Sometimes I do. No one knows for sure which is which.

Rex Morgan MD

"Mwah-hah-hah-hah!"

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

As awesome as this interspersed flashback is... how the hell did Moz write it down?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Finding yourself in a slippery spot (07/1937)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ardeem posted:

As awesome as this interspersed flashback is... how the hell did Moz write it down?

Actually I've kind of lost the plot here, are we still in Moz's story or is this all actually happening in the main arc now?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 18, 2022

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Here is part 2 of John Allison's interview on comicsxf.com. He talks about snooker, his work over the past few years, and the Lottie webcomic coming out in April.

quote:

Mark: So, it’s a Batman comic, of a sort…

John: It doesn’t … it mocks Batman in that Batman does not deal particularly well with the Giant Days universe. But then why should he be expected to? It’s a sort of chaotic cartoon universe. Very different from the sort of dark, edgy mean streets that he deals with. He’s gone to a town he doesn’t really know about, and he has to play by a very different set of rules. He’s a billionaire, a billionaire abroad. You should expect him to be a little recherche. He’s not in his normal milieu at all.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Larryb posted:

Actually I've kind of lost the plot here, are we still in Moz's story or is this all actually happening now?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Is this a bdsm thing?

e;
oh it's "I give up".

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Nah Arlo is just sick and tired of the cold. As a Marylander I agree because it feels positively balmy here at 40 degrees after weeks of "it's so cold my hands hurt while I'm walking my dog."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
at this point if the arc doesn’t end with moz dying the phantom can gently caress off

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

For folks not quite nerdy enough: the reason Tribbles were such a Trouble is because they never stop loving.

They don't need to gently caress, they're born pregnant.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Thank you.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Tinkersons is extremely wholesome right now.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I foolishly thought Luann could not get dumber.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
She just left the kid alone in the house.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

goatface posted:

She just left the kid alone in the house.

With the dog she's looking for so that we, the audience, can be perfectly clear that Luann is an idiot and should be scorning her for her idiocy rather than sympathizing with her for believing she's lost a beloved pet.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I guess Greg doesn't like his characters any more.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
oh is Pierce keeping the kilt from here on??

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Zits is pretty good about keeping character changes/redesigns. There was a big storyline about Hector's makeover a few years ago, and it's just his standard look now.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

otoh this also jsut feels like a way to be like 2 weeks of scottish jokes in the same way they spent 2 weeks dealing with an alien and 2 weeks dealing with a snowsled and 2 weeks with pierce's body building app and so on

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Tiggum posted:

I loving hate that guy.
How could you hate this lovely fellow?
Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

Night Visitors

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! March 3, 1919

[strike]Outbursts of Everett True[/strike]Squirrel Food March 6, 1919

Gay and Her Gang March 14, 1930

Oaky Doaks August 13, 1936

Mopsy October 21, 1937

Up Front December 29, 1944

Medenmath posted:

I'm glad you're able to get this in better quality now. The art is really excellent.
That one wasn't from the book - I finally found some time to scan, so now we get into The Big '50s!
Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porfirio_Rubirosa

So It Seems April 26, 1952

Those Were the Days November 13, 1958

Wee Pals May 5, 1966

Dogbert December 15, 1966

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ardeem posted:

He's drawing a comic, obviously.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

the realistic option is moz just wrote "Due to all the abuses she suffered, that all came to the forefront, she shot Jampa" and all the flashbacks are just for us, the readers, who are no the Phantom, sake.

the funniest option is moz gets really granular: alright so about 3 milliseconds after THAT she thought to the time she hit him with a pan while she sleep, and then 3 millseconds after THAT--

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I know how this is gonna end...

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

maltesh posted:

And from vague memories, and reading synopses, are they really all that romantic? More of a "We need to divert the biological impulses of these afflicted Vulcans before they do (or by allowing them to think they did) something they'll horribly regret" type of thing?

You're not wrong, the original series and Voyager episodes were essentially "This Vulcan man is horny and he's going to loving kill us all if we don't get him laid." The Enterprise episode was apparently more of a "This Vulcan woman is horny and she is going to try and gently caress every man she can." So I guess one of them is kind of romantic. The other two not so much but maybe I shouldn't kinkshame if Skip and his girlfriend get excited by dudes violently attacking people.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (May 30-31, 1934)

Peanuts (February 19-20, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean continues with "Oscarbation".

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 19-20, 1938)

Out Our Way (April 7-9, 1938)

Toonerville Folks (October 3-5, 1918)

Dok's Dippy Yuletide (December 25, 1913)

Little Lefty (February 10-12, 1936)

Blondie (Without The Zero) (August 31-September 2, 1931)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I think we should bring back the “Strange Worm” style clothes for babies, as seen in Toonerville Folks.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

rannum posted:

otoh this also jsut feels like a way to be like 2 weeks of scottish jokes in the same way they spent 2 weeks dealing with an alien and 2 weeks dealing with a snowsled and 2 weeks with pierce's body building app and so on

forgot about the alien tbh

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze will be dropped from regular posting if it doesn't return to ComicsKingdom soon. Sheesh.

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze will be dropped from regular posting if it doesn't return to ComicsKingdom soon. Sheesh.

Still not cooperating with you?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens