Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Arivia posted:

and yet i'm betting rupaul the loving idiot horrible person would really not actually go for being called trans or nonbinary with all the poo poo he's tossed at trans women. gently caress that whole sphere, it's all transmisogyny bullshit.

Rupaul sucks, for a multitude of reasons, but there's been plenty of non-binary and trans women contestants (including folks who discovered they fit those categories due to doing drag), so I don't feel drag itself is "Lol man in dress am I right?!" like it used to be. Apologies if I misunderstood what you meant by "the sphere", though.

That being said, I kind of can't go back and watch anything prior to like, Season 5, because the amount of transphobic slurs being thrown around (by cis contestants) is just poo poo. Season 3 in particular.

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Feb 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Argument is easily refuted by anyone who was alive and in queer spaces prior to 2014 so I hope the responses were all just "on the other hand, my personal memories of life before 2014".

Iirc more people would use specific terms like 'genderqueer' or 'bigender' back in the mid- late 2000s rather than saying 'I am non-binary', but these were still known as 'the non-binary genders, unlike the binary ones'.

There was a big terminology shift with tumblr kids discovering their queer identities without much influence from previous generations, and people like to point to this as "tumblr invented gender." But, the concepts aren't new. Neopronouns aren't new. The way we talked about gender shifted with tumblr and it shifted with usenet and it shifted with 70s feminism discourse and it shifted mid century sexologist terminology and so on.

This is basically the same idea as "You never heard about trans people before [present year - 7]." Queer people can't be a threat or societal decay if they have simply always been here and just have new ways to talk about and understand themselves.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

goblin week posted:

Context: japanese streamer was fired for megaracism

At least they admit to being wrong but even if you don't know the history of Japanese-Korean relations, shouldn't the mere existence of North and South Korea make you think maybe Asia is not "united"?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Read After Burning posted:

Rupaul sucks, for a multitude of reasons, but there's been plenty of non-binary and trans women contestants (including folks who discovered they fit those categories due to doing drag), so I don't feel drag itself is "Lol man in dress am I right?!" like it used to be. Apologies if I misunderstood what you meant by "the sphere", though.

In particular, I kind of can't go back and watch anything prior to like, Season 5, because the amount of transphobic slurs being thrown around (by cis contestants) is just poo poo.

I mean all of it. I'm genuinely not interested or tolerating any of it (in my life, I can't police the forums of course). I've encountered so much transmisogyny by gay cis men using drag as an excuse in queer spaces. Incredibly tired of it, the shows, every social event being run by drag queens, the whole thing.

Yeah, there are gender-diverse contestants but the whole thing is so frequently weaponized against trans women like myself, I have zero tolerance for it.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

YES, YES, I know, more drag-related stuff, but it's only tangential, I promise it's worth it!

Context: A contestant whose stage name used to be Monique is now going by Mo, apparently to reflect their gender "evolution" towards being non-binary. Someone on a Drag Race subreddit has some thoughts about this:

Oh...kay. Sure. I don't know what the gently caress is going on with the bolded.

So someone asks "What's wrong with a person saying they're non-binary?" and:

.....So some folks ask "Um, please explain?" and we get this galaxy-brain take:

:stonk:

Edit: Oh god, here's one more.

I must be a lapsed enby because I don't think I have ever gone to a religious service.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

GreenMetalSun posted:

God, it would be so loving rad if they were though.

...but I also want Pokemon to be real.

We got fish that shoot water bolts from underwater to snipe bugs out of trees.

And shrimp that can launch bubbles from their claws with enough force to create temperatures hotter than the surface of the sun.

Pokemon ARE real

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

hawowanlawow posted:

this implies that they think other "races" used to be "united," and makes me wonder how they think the other "races" became fractured, and how they think they could be "united" again

The Tower of Babel, obviously. Pssh.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

christmas boots posted:

getting blown around by mister cyberdemon does do a pretty good job of keeping them separated

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Arivia posted:

I mean all of it. I'm genuinely not interested or tolerating any of it (in my life, I can't police the forums of course). I've encountered so much transmisogyny by gay cis men using drag as an excuse in queer spaces. Incredibly tired of it, the shows, every social event being run by drag queens, the whole thing.

Yeah, there are gender-diverse contestants but the whole thing is so frequently weaponized against trans women like myself, I have zero tolerance for it.

This is fair! I've heard the same from others and wasn't trying to discredit your "this makes me upset" reaction...just pointing out that thankfully the space has gotten more open to performers other than "Cis gay man dressing in drag for laughs".

It's of course worse to trans women, but frankly, the whole drag scene can be kind of poo poo to cis women as well. Any woman (either participating on the show or just existing in queer spaces like gay bars) who isn't the stereotypical "stone butch" is automatically assumed to be a straight woman doing some "bachelorette party, oooh, gay safari" poo poo, even though she could be bi or a femme lesbian.

When I go out with my partner (he's a dude) to queer events, I wear some :sueme: poo poo. And even then, I know people are gonna assume that I'm just "bi when it comes to threesomes" or whatever poo poo. I of course am privileged enough to be "invisible" and thus not marked as an obvious target for a hate crime, but at the same time, having your identity erased isn't a very nice privilege.

Sure wish us LGBT+'s could all get along, but hell, in-fighting amongst the community was explored (kinda poorly) back on Tyra Banks's show in 2009.

(Sorry if this came across as "WELL, IT'S lovely TO EVERYONE, SWEETIE, GET OVER IT." I'm just frustrated at how regressive some queer stuff still is, while other aspects have come a long way.)

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

That being said, I kind of can't go back and watch anything prior to like, Season 5, because the amount of transphobic slurs being thrown around (by cis contestants) is just poo poo. Season 3 in particular.

I like that the newest season has a cis hetero white dude in it. Which sounds super counter-productive, but he's an absolute sweetheart and has been giving every ounce of space to queer queens he possibly can. It's a nice way to de-emphasize toxic hetero masculinity, although I definitely have seen people who feel the opposite and I can understand their discomfort to a degree. Still, gently caress RuPaul himself, but I'm happy to see Drag Race bringing in people that aren't strictly gay male queens that throw the T-word around like it's going out of style like you had already said.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

I like that the newest season has a cis hetero white dude in it. Which sounds super counter-productive, but he's an absolute sweetheart and has been giving every ounce of space to queer queens he possibly can. It's a nice way to de-emphasize toxic hetero masculinity, although I definitely have seen people who feel the opposite and I can understand their discomfort to a degree. Still, gently caress RuPaul himself, but I'm happy to see Drag Race bringing in people that aren't strictly gay male queens that throw the T-word around like it's going out of style like you had already said.

Yea I was expecting "WE ADDED A CIS STRAIGHT GUY!!!!!!" to be extremely cringe but he's been a complete sweetie and does 100% come off as just another drag queen who happens to be (what many would consider) a completely 'average' dude, and that's good!

RuPaul can chug a gallon of fracking runoff of course, but that was a genuinely good choice that could have gone extremely badly. Of course the credit there is more on the contestant himself not being a shitbag and the others treating him just like any other contestant, but still.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

At least they admit to being wrong but even if you don't know the history of Japanese-Korean relations, shouldn't the mere existence of North and South Korea make you think maybe Asia is not "united"?

standard US education on geography/history barely makes it to WW2, Asia is just a continent/vocab word from chapter 1.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
In addition, the Asian kids in American schools do generally hang out together irrespective of specific ethnic origin in my experience, because old national hatreds are for the olds and kids don't give a gently caress

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

christmas boots posted:

This implies the Tower of Babel never reached Asia which I think is heretical?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

There is a good documentary called "Paris is Burning" that looks at the New York drag scene in the 80s that is very interesting that is worth a watch if Ru Paul's shows interest you but Ru Paul does not. It is also pretty sad, because of the AIDS epidemic.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Vitruvian Manic posted:

To be fair, there are a lot more Mohammads out there than there are Maurices.

There have been tragically few studies on whether this related group also speaks of the pompatus of love.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
whhhhit woooooo

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Data Graham posted:

Apple's DRM was no worse than the competition's when it comes to how much flexibility it offered. It launched with "you can burn a track to a CD 10 times" and "you can authorize 3 computers to play your purchased music" clauses; and over time they further negotiated with the labels to increase the number of authorizable computers to 5 at the expense of reducing the number of CD burns to 5 (I think). Then a year or two later when they had become the 800-lb gorilla a-la-carte music store, they were able to strongarm the labels into going DRM-free.

Apple didn't want DRM free, they wanted everything to be fairplay because that locked you into the Apple eco system. The RIAA/artists started going DRM free when they realised that getting into bed with Apple meant they would be paying Apple forever.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Tarezax posted:

In addition, the Asian kids in American schools do generally hang out together irrespective of specific ethnic origin in my experience, because old national hatreds are for the olds and kids don't give a gently caress
I had figured that the IOSM about "united" Asians was some white dude looking at how Asian-Americans (or Asian-Canadians or most other Western diaspora Asians, depending on where IOSM dude is from) are often lumped together as a single big racial identity and just assuming all Asian people are like that everywhere.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The Asian-American identity was created by a guy who dimed on the Black Panthers. He wanted to create an "other" group that was just a grab bag of everything not covered by the BPP and Chavez. It was artificial from the start by design. Not that it hasn't grown into its own thing, but I could see abstracting it from history and reifying it as something real.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Boywhiz88 posted:

OK, but as you mention those other games require consoles that Nintendo no longer produces. Why would they maintain that infrastructure for a user base that hasn’t moved on to the Switch? It’s no different than Sony shuttering the PS3 store or multiplayer servers. I assume Nintendo announced it ahead of time so people could grab what they need.

I’m sorry, I don’t see the controversy here.

The controversy is that Nintendo came out and said "thanks for your interest but we're not planning to let you play those games again" and actively pursues legal action against ROM sites as well as lobbying against safe harbours like the Internet Archive.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1493762734546055169

https://twitter.com/GameHistoryOrg/status/1494398068346654720

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

so reading this I learned that 人権 (jinken), the Japanese word for human right, has some weird particular meaning in gaming "culture", and that's being used as a defense. weird, huh? i kind of have a feeling this is some intentional or semi-intentional dilution of the word. years ago i played a decent amount of Winning 11 soccer with coworkers in our office in Tokyo during our break, and a few folks threw "senpan" around jokingly to refer to athletes in the game that hosed up and caused the team to lose. i look it up and the word is 戦犯: war criminal. it's a common enough definition of the word to show up in dictionaries as the second entry. so yeah, weird poo poo.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

sexpig by night posted:

Yea I was expecting "WE ADDED A CIS STRAIGHT GUY!!!!!!" to be extremely cringe but he's been a complete sweetie and does 100% come off as just another drag queen who happens to be (what many would consider) a completely 'average' dude, and that's good!

RuPaul can chug a gallon of fracking runoff of course, but that was a genuinely good choice that could have gone extremely badly. Of course the credit there is more on the contestant himself not being a shitbag and the others treating him just like any other contestant, but still.

As long as ru paul is the "face" of drag and profiting from it in any way, there is at least one major problem in drag.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

The controversy is that Nintendo came out and said "thanks for your interest but we're not planning to let you play those games again" and actively pursues legal action against ROM sites as well as lobbying against safe harbours like the Internet Archive.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1493762734546055169

https://twitter.com/GameHistoryOrg/status/1494398068346654720

once again that Lazy Town song about being "A Pirate is alright to be" is evergreen.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PhazonLink posted:

once again that Lazy Town song about being "A Pirate is alright to be" is evergreen.

More or less, yep!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/littietorch/status/1494881032763592704
https://twitter.com/saccharinings/status/1494885141780766721
stumbled across this incomprehensible little spat which seems to be about whether or not you can write triad stories in english fanfiction

e: the first tweet already got hidden but it was this

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

is that your screenshot? is your fursona a donkey? it's cute

littletorch diplomatically nuked their entire account after this

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

What on earth is wang xian dynamics

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

The Saddest Rhino posted:

What on earth is wang xian dynamics

From my Googling, Wangxian is a shipping portmanteau.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
that doesnt help at all.

e : oh its chinese anime yaoi??

PhazonLink has a new favorite as of 06:26 on Feb 19, 2022

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Pththya-lyi posted:

From my Googling, Wangxian is a shipping portmanteau.

quote:

The song is first played while Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji are trapped in a cave on Dusk-Creek Mountain after killing the Tortoise of Slaughter.

Well now!

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
cultivation stuff has gotten really popular in the west during the pandemic

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh that's a big one, that coated my Tumblr dash for a while. All I know is there's a cheerful guy with a murderflute who comes back from the dead and his boyfriend's a frowny guy with a sword.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The two genders.

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness
"Tortoise of Slaughter" sounds rad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
So if I got this right, this is about triads, possibly also triads, and quite perhaps triad triads

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Queen Gnome posted:

First DLC for total warhammer 3.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Henchman of Santa posted:

North Carolina and South Carolina are in the United States of America.

...I mean, they were still being dumb, but at least - as you pointed out - they admit their mistake.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Samovar posted:

North Carolina and South Carolina are in the United States of America.

...I mean, they were still being dumb, but at least - as you pointed out - they admit their mistake.

On the other hand, growing up in SC I was called a Yankee more than once for having been born in NC and they were only semi-joking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Queen Gnome posted:

sLAUGHTOISE