Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Dramicus posted:

I dunno. I've been really having fun and I've only tried Khorne so far. I also clocked an extra 24 hours on WH2 in the two weeks before the launch of 3. No real urge to boot up 2 on my side.

What in particular are you not having fun with? Maybe you just aren't feeling the faction that you've been using.

Spending the bulk of my time trying to force myself to like Kislev definitely hasn't helped, so yeah I'm going to experiment more with other factions. Khorne's probably what I'm going with next since the consensus seems to be that it's in a good place and that it's similar to Taurox, which I really enjoyed, so fingers crossed. As for what else I don't like, minor settlements feel like a pain in the rear end to me, I don't think I really like the campaign so far (I also didn't like the Vortex, but this feels more intrusive), and it definitely runs worse than 2, whether it's performance issues on their end or just me needing an upgrade that I'm not planning on getting for a while still.

I'm sure the game's going to get better over time, and once mods and patches and Immortal Empires come out I'm sure I'll have more fun, but I haven't played 2 since the week after the last DLC came out, and I'm feeling pretty nostalgic for it atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

Spending the bulk of my time trying to force myself to like Kislev definitely hasn't helped, so yeah I'm going to experiment more with other factions. Khorne's probably what I'm going with next since the consensus seems to be that it's in a good place and that it's similar to Taurox, which I really enjoyed, so fingers crossed. As for what else I don't like, minor settlements feel like a pain in the rear end to me, I don't think I really like the campaign so far (I also didn't like the Vortex, but this feels more intrusive), and it definitely runs worse than 2, whether it's performance issues on their end or just me needing an upgrade that I'm not planning on getting for a while still.

I'm sure the game's going to get better over time, and once mods and patches and Immortal Empires come out I'm sure I'll have more fun, but I haven't played 2 since the week after the last DLC came out, and I'm feeling pretty nostalgic for it atm.

I can confirm Khorne is very much like Taurox but with better units overall. As for the minor settlements, I haven't found them to be that bad, just pick two entrances that can support each other and slam your bloodletters through them. The good news about the realm of chaos stuff is they don't force to to fight the big fight, you always have a heroic autoresolve on them if you aren't a fan.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like that cathay can recruit level 9 units from the bastion lol. Also the level 6 peasants you can get easily are decent too.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Omnicarus posted:

The game is doing something odd that the previous games didn't do at all - occasionally on battles the entire game just freezes its processing, not the graphical updates or anything but there's a good two seconds where everything stays put.

are you near waterfalls or anything with some special effects?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Sinteres posted:

I thought this was about as safe a pre order as it could get with as much shared DNA as there is between it and the first two games in the series, but honestly I borderline regret playing at launch, and am thinking about setting it aside pretty soon until some combination of mods and patches make it more fun. Anybody else getting an intrusive thought that they could just fire up Warhammer 2 and probably be having more fun yet? I'm still looking forward to trying the multiplayer campaigns (and honestly wish I could try Darkness and DIsharmony solo), but I'm not going to tell my friends to play until there are some fixes.

CA launches are always buggy messes.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Trying out Tzeentch, and are you just supposed to hold off on taking the northernmost settlement in the starting province? If I grab it, the nearby bastion faction immediately sends a 20 stack, since they're positioned close enough that they can move all the way there from their starting settlement.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I think the reason people are sick of settlement battles is because those are pretty much the only fights that the AI is willing to take. 95% of the time the AI runs from fights, even if they're evenly matched. It only ever attacks if it has an overwhelming advantage. That's how it worked in WH2, as well, and that's why so many fights were settlement fights in that game as well. With instant attrition, the AI doesn't attack in sieges until the garrison has suffered extensive attrition damage.

So the only fights you can reliably get are: offensive siege battles, ambushes, and defensive siege battles that you stand absolutely no chance of surviving. Field battles almost never happen, because the AI just runs away.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

The settlement battles are way too busy to ever be strategic in the way they're intended.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gonkish posted:

I think the reason people are sick of settlement battles is because those are pretty much the only fights that the AI is willing to take. 95% of the time the AI runs from fights, even if they're evenly matched. It only ever attacks if it has an overwhelming advantage. That's how it worked in WH2, as well, and that's why so many fights were settlement fights in that game as well. With instant attrition, the AI doesn't attack in sieges until the garrison has suffered extensive attrition damage.

So the only fights you can reliably get are: offensive siege battles, ambushes, and defensive siege battles that you stand absolutely no chance of surviving. Field battles almost never happen, because the AI just runs away.

I wonder if the siege changes led to them giving a boost in autoresolve to the defender, which contributes to the coward AI problem that I felt like got at least a little alleviated in 2 (when, IIRC, they programmed the AI to be dumber about picking fights it wasn't going to win sometimes).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that's my main complaint with the towers, it just diverts attention to keeping them shot down while you do the actual, meaningful fighting. I feel like there should be something they could do with them where you're not just doing this constant clickfest between shooting them and rebuilding them.

Defnitely think the barricades are the more interesting element.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Just don't even shoot towers. Go past them. Guys in your way? Go around.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I'm really enjoying Ogres except for the meat mechanic. Its super frustrating

Also the weird hero mismatch where the lords free hero is one the other would prefer.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Oops, the "Reclaim your place" achievement that's supposed to be for Kislev holding all the major cities just popped for me as Khorne. I guess it will work if any faction takes all three cities.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like honestly it would be really nice sometimes to be able to put the platforms down in field battles, cos the range and elevation buff makes ranged units much better.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i have been enjoying myself and generally being up to No Good

in what im assuming is an oversight, cathay has a -100 aversion to skaven but skaven only has -40 in return, making this achievable. it just makes all of Cathay really hate you for doing it, which is funny and honestly in line with how the skaven would approach it and how everyone would react. I hope they don't fix it.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 19, 2022

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Oh dang I thought this was going to launch with the immortal empires big campaign. Oh well, hopefully it's ready in a month or two.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

palindrome posted:

Oh dang I thought this was going to launch with the immortal empires big campaign. Oh well, hopefully it's ready in a month or two.

Not trying to burst your bubble but it's a near certainty it's over 3 months out, based on reading between the lines on what they've said. I really hope I'm wrong.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Well, my understanding is that sometime next week (i.e., between the 21st and 25th) they're going to release a DLC roadmap. If we're going to learn about the timeline for the big map, we might learn it there.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Not trying to burst your bubble but it's a near certainty it's over 3 months out, based on reading between the lines on what they've said. I really hope I'm wrong.

that's definitely the vibe. they almost said as much talking to pcgamer iirc

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Now that I have a functioning economy I am enjoying the fact that I can use the portals to just teleport Skarbrand to Kislev and gently caress up a ton of poo poo there while the other factions are distracted by going into the Realms of Chaos.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
boy the pathfinding in large ogre vs. ogre settlements fights is something else

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i assume you're not supposed to be able to auto resolve the special gatekeeper fights? I don't mind because the khorne one is more tedious tower defence stuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They are pretty sluggish to respond yeah, not sure if I'm a fan, which is odd because I never really felt that way with other monstrous infantry.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

hemale in pain posted:

i assume you're not supposed to be able to auto resolve the special gatekeeper fights? I don't mind because the khorne one is more tedious tower defence stuff.

It's intentional, and I'm glad for that, because I did it once and I don't feel like another 45 minute TD fight, let alone THREE MORE of those in one campaign.

OwlFancier posted:

They are pretty sluggish to respond yeah, not sure if I'm a fan, which is odd because I never really felt that way with other monstrous infantry.

I've noticed a lot of weird unit behavior, both in the (very, very few) field battles I've fought, but especially in settlements. Seems like the pathing is being really loving sketchy, in general, and it's especially noticeable for the thicc boys.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They also seem to really like getting stuck in fights, which I'm not sure if it's just because you've got piles of big lads beating each other up.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Khorne is the easiest start I’ve tried so far. All his units feel strong as well. Skarbrand becomes an unkillable pillar of your army at high levels as well and his campaign mechanics are fun

Newbies should probably try Mr.Khorne

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Sinteres posted:

I thought this was about as safe a pre order as it could get with as much shared DNA as there is between it and the first two games in the series, but honestly I borderline regret playing at launch, and am thinking about setting it aside pretty soon until some combination of mods and patches make it more fun. Anybody else getting an intrusive thought that they could just fire up Warhammer 2 and probably be having more fun yet? I'm still looking forward to trying the multiplayer campaigns (and honestly wish I could try Darkness and DIsharmony solo), but I'm not going to tell my friends to play until there are some fixes.

Yeah pretty much. I think the game is fine, the new mechanics are good and the map is great, but I don't like playing as any of the factions. They all looked cool and interesting but I'm not actually enjoying playing as any of them. Build-a-demon is the most interesting since I can use all the demons I want, but once I finish that campaign I probably won't touch WH3 for a while. I think the eventual big map campaign and/or different factions being introduced will help.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Cathay is pretty fun and trade routes are fun. The harmony mechanic...exists.

Ogres are fun and you can get a surprisingly varied army with them. Unfortunately their pathing sucks balls and makes anything except open field battles a slog

Khorne is a lot of fun and very straightforward. Destroy things, collect skulls, amass armies. Very powerful roster too.

Nurgle...is okay. Not great though. You can plague stuff which is okay I guess but his roster feels very underwhelming. Nurglings are the coolestlooking unit in the game though

I might try Slaanesh next... Though the slaneshi units seem like they suck unless you micro them a lot

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/sw4rqi/yes_i_think_i_definitely_found_the_source_of_fps/

This person seems to have figured out what is causing framerate issues. (Spoiler: it's fog, even on low the fog is murdering framerates.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think for cathay I really like the caravans, I would like to see them in more factions honestly. The wall is fun although once I got the gate rebuilt I basically ignored it apart from the odd autoresolve to get free cash on invaders. The compass is... ok, though I generally just want it set to economy unless the gates turn up and I need to desert all that demon poo poo out of the country. Harmony is a bit meh in campaign because it's not really hard to balance and I want to build a variety of buildings anyway? On the battlefield I really like it and think it absolutely makes the faction cooler.

Kislev I kind of like the ice court, being able to get interesting and different lords is cool, always like lord traits that encourage you to build different types of armies with them. The rituals they get are whatever, just the WH2 thing really. The orthodoxy/ice court split is... frankly baffling? They aren't different factions, kostaltyn screams about witches but you still get them and they're integral to his army. Frankly I agree with mandalore about he feels like a lovely volkmar. I think his side of kislev needs a whole different set of elite units and probably an economic overhaul too, you should be building two very different styles of empire, and the unification should allow you access to the other faction's units but at a big markup in cost. I hope this is the sort of thing I will eventually see in an SFO type overhaul of the faction, I would like to see a less magical and more faith based style of kislev, SFO again does provide a template for this with their version of the empire offering you the abiility to go sigmar or ulric as your patron god, with different religious based units and army abilities unlocked by this and favouring different religious building lines. That's cool and I would like to see something like that for kislev.

Haven't tried any of the other factions yet, but just from those two it kind of feels like they just... threw a bunch of mechanics at the game in the hopes some of them would stick? Cathay especially feels very scattershot, like they picked a bunch of random mechanics and glued them all onto a faction.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
They're an interesting mix of dark elves (You get your army powers from killing) and at least early game feel a bit like wood elves dynamic with glade guard/dryads and marauders/daemonettes. The scourge marauders are actually surprisingly tanky and everything you have is so drat fast if a fight looks like its going to go wrong you just run the gently caress away and split their army.

N'kari is interesting, an absolute blender but near zero armor makes them fragile. I actually managed to beat a similiar level skarbrand with him but it was a lot of hit and run cycle charging while chaff held him in place.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonkish posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/sw4rqi/yes_i_think_i_definitely_found_the_source_of_fps/

This person seems to have figured out what is causing framerate issues. (Spoiler: it's fog, even on low the fog is murdering framerates.)

I wonder if they are just doing massive amounts of overdraw? That's a common issue with layered transparent sprite effects but it's also like, the first thing you test for when making layered transparent sprite effects...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Slaanesh is one of the most interesting factions to play in the game right now. Just an incredible amount of micro but boy is it rewarding.

Taking settlement battles by just fanning out and picking apart units one by one rules.

Daemon Prince's single strongest feature in the early game seems to be their ability to stack massive upkeep reduction on a particular God's troops. Which really incentivizes focusing on one. Not a criticism, just an interesting thing I've noticed. Not sure what a Tzeentch focused army is supposed to look like late game. Forsaken hit like trucks but fold pretty easily to ranged like Kislev.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 19, 2022

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The fog issue has been a thing since game one.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1291788801

I used to use mods to get rid of it in game 2 and it really helped.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Carcer posted:

N'kari is interesting, an absolute blender but near zero armor makes them fragile. I actually managed to beat a similiar level skarbrand with him but it was a lot of hit and run cycle charging while chaff held him in place.

I decided to test N'Kari vs Skarbrand 1on1. They are roughly equal. N'Kari's magic and ability to force Skarbrand to Rampage at a range before he can use his abilities, makes it roughly 50/50 who will win. Even if Skarbrand can use his abilities first, N'kari's melee defence and attack speed are good enough that Skarbrand can lose in a slug fest.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 19, 2022

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I think for cathay I really like the caravans, I would like to see them in more factions honestly. The wall is fun although once I got the gate rebuilt I basically ignored it apart from the odd autoresolve to get free cash on invaders. The compass is... ok, though I generally just want it set to economy unless the gates turn up and I need to desert all that demon poo poo out of the country. Harmony is a bit meh in campaign because it's not really hard to balance and I want to build a variety of buildings anyway? On the battlefield I really like it and think it absolutely makes the faction cooler.

Kislev I kind of like the ice court, being able to get interesting and different lords is cool, always like lord traits that encourage you to build different types of armies with them. The rituals they get are whatever, just the WH2 thing really. The orthodoxy/ice court split is... frankly baffling? They aren't different factions, kostaltyn screams about witches but you still get them and they're integral to his army. Frankly I agree with mandalore about he feels like a lovely volkmar. I think his side of kislev needs a whole different set of elite units and probably an economic overhaul too, you should be building two very different styles of empire, and the unification should allow you access to the other faction's units but at a big markup in cost. I hope this is the sort of thing I will eventually see in an SFO type overhaul of the faction, I would like to see a less magical and more faith based style of kislev, SFO again does provide a template for this with their version of the empire offering you the abiility to go sigmar or ulric as your patron god, with different religious based units and army abilities unlocked by this and favouring different religious building lines. That's cool and I would like to see something like that for kislev.

Haven't tried any of the other factions yet, but just from those two it kind of feels like they just... threw a bunch of mechanics at the game in the hopes some of them would stick? Cathay especially feels very scattershot, like they picked a bunch of random mechanics and glued them all onto a faction.

Kislev seems to be hard mode for me, despite it being the recommended campaign to start with. As Tsarina you're under attack pretty early on by enemies from the North, East and West. By the time you supress one faction Chaos parties come down from the North with doomstacks that mess things up. Then Skaven suddenly appear with doomstacks, then the portals open and the entire thing becomes extremely brutal.

Their units are a bit weird - they're hybrid but they feel a bit squishy in melee. Their magic and their late troops such as bears and snow leopards are really good though.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Kislev's campaign is empire 2.0 for the new round of new players. A fairly straightforward roster with no real holes and a couple of ways to build matched with a delicate strategic map presence.

The easiest way to gently caress up your Kislev campaign is to ignore the empire when the vampires try to tear through them. You do not need vampires breathing down your neck. Help them out.

The second easiest way is to succumb to best-friend-itis and go full military alliance with every faction that is positive towards you. These other factions are not your friends. They are warhammer military leaders and are therefore as dumb as a bag of hammers. You get yourself in a position of having to help them out with their stupid internecine empire conflicts and 30 turns later you're in a hellwar with Karl Fransz while the various chaos gods look on in awe at how badly you've hosed up your whole situation.

This is great for new players because a ton of people come to these games from civilization and similar games where more friends = more gooder and that simply isn't true here.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I wonder if there's an txt edit or something to remove the fog entirely?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Does anyone else have immense trouble confederating as Cathay? I'm way stronger than the guys to the north and have 235 positive relationship with them but they've got a -50 "baseline evaluation" penalty to the idea and you can't use gold to even it out. This is on normal difficulty too.

E: They ALL have the -50 penalty. Every single Cathay faction. One even has it at -100. So that's it. I can either break my alliances and go to war with them or I'm stuck with my starting province and the snake gate.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If there is a big faction, you might have some success trying to buy settlements off them, if they have quite a few of them each one is usually worth less.

On a related note, I also found cathay to be a quite challenging start, you want to get down south and secure some territory (and ideally neutralize zhao ming before he starts snowballing) but you also have to secure the snake gate ASAP because otherwise you're gonna be trying to hold off piles of assholes coming through it. And the tzeentch assholes in the terracotta graveyard are extremely hard to dislodge because massed blue and pink horrors are, well, horrific in how effective they are.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Feb 19, 2022