Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Pararoid posted:

Crazy. Are there any good ISPs, or is that just an across the board policy?

The DMCA says if ISPs don't do it they become liable for any copyright infringement their end users do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I hosed up my life and moved back in with my parents when I was 23 and the first thing I did was pirate Oblivion because my disc went missing, then spent several days getting high hitting goblins with swords and when my dad got the browser popup from the ISP he kicked me out, showing him the cardboard game box didn't help. it was an experience, a lot like admitting to warez :filez: on these here forums around the same time period

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i was thinking about playing the new dragon quest, but then i realized, what's the point, i already know good's going to triumph over evil. how cliche. the only thing more cliche would be if evil triumphed over good! then i realized that all "good" storytelling sets up conflicts and then just resolves them, like, wow, talk about convenient. this means the only actually good stories are David DeCeateau films like A Talking Cat and Santa's Summer House

in my next video, i'll discuss how depiction is endorsement, and spend 2 hours talking about death of the author

treat posted:

I hosed up my life and moved back in with my parents when I was 23 and the first thing I did was pirate Oblivion because my disc went missing, then spent several days getting high hitting goblins with swords and when my dad got the browser popup from the ISP he kicked me out, showing him the cardboard game box didn't help. it was an experience, a lot like admitting to warez :filez: on these here forums around the same time period
was the popup a smack the monkey ad

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
i wish dude, clicking those monkeys would have probably diffused the situation. everybody loves clicking those monkeys

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's true. people prefer to right-click them nowadays, but the appeal remains.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Pararoid posted:

I do not know. I got my own internet for the first time in 2001, it was charter and it has been charter ever since because that is what they had in the states I've lived in.

In those 21 years i have gotten one ©️ strike of my own. You really have to be blatant to even get one.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I was going to buy Dungeons 3 on Steam before I found out that I already got it for free from Epic.

Anyway, I've been playing a free game and enjoying it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Pararoid posted:

It does depend a lot on the ISP.
IIRC the current precedent in the USA is that an ip address alone isn't sufficient proof of identity, so these copyright trolls don't have legal basis to file an actual dmca / copyright lawsuit. So to get at you, they typically rely on agreements with the isps that go above-and-beyond the requirements of copyright law, just like music companies lean on youtube to remove stuff without DMCAing.

Some ISPs have close professional relationships with the media companies, or even are the media companies, and will shut down your internet / fire you as a customer for too many strikes.

Some will just forward you the emails they get from angry copyright holders but then do nothing more, which is as good as saying "we don't care and we won't bother enforcing this".
In this case it's not the ISP monitoring you, it's a third party copyright-troll firm that just downloads latest_movie.torrent and then sends that letter to every ip in the seeders list.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 19, 2022

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

rodbeard posted:

I got in trouble in my high school English class for complaining about how The Lottery was going to end because my teacher was adamant I couldn't have predicted the obvious plot twist and must have secretly already read it

Even sadder part: that story is literally tought because of how heavily it foreshadows the ending. If you are an active reader you know what's coming and to whom.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I once pirated a PS2 rom of the original God of War, but because the torrent file was just called GoW and it was a dvd image my ISP thought I was pirating Gears of War and tried to knock me for that.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Recently I wanted to play a crpg and discovered that I had pathfinder kingmaker on epic. But I heard that wrath of the righteous ones was even better and bought that one instead. After finishing it I still wanted more, and wouldn't you know it, kingmaker was on sale so I picked it up cheap and played it way beyond the refund date. :ughh:

And that's how you can get free games and still play them, by being a complete idiot.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

The 7th Guest posted:

i was thinking about playing the new dragon quest, but then i realized, what's the point, i already know good's going to triumph over evil. how cliche. the only thing more cliche would be if evil triumphed over good! then i realized that all "good" storytelling sets up conflicts and then just resolves them, like, wow, talk about convenient. this means the only actually good stories are David DeCeateau films like A Talking Cat and Santa's Summer House

in my next video, i'll discuss how depiction is endorsement, and spend 2 hours talking about death of the author

was the popup a smack the monkey ad

Look at this guy that doesn't read Russian lit. There is no triumph. Only despair.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

hell yeah 64 unread posts, must be a whole bunch of free games

Oh, just a whole bunch of posts about a game I now own and will never play and a whole bunch of posts about those posts

who cares, get your money's worth

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
brothers is boring because the gameplay is solving the lowest tier of video game puzzle/interaction (can u pathfind around an obstacle? can u put two boxes on two scales) while, yes, an entirely predictable slowburn buddy drama/coming of age story animates in front of u while, no matter how hard u push the stick, one or two characters walk super slowly so the camera can swoop around 3d gray rocks and flat water, or, just as often - u don't get to move the stick at all cuz a cutscenes playing.
Play Ico or Another World or Prince of Persia or Limbo or one of a million cinematic platformers that can generate higher levels of interest/interaction & don't yank the controls away from u every 10 minutes unless u rly rly love the experience of holding left to shimmy across a platform in Uncharted...if thats what u like then u will be hype they made the ultimate game for u

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Enough talk about platformers, what’s everyone’s opinion on next weeks freebie, Cristales? It looks like it could be a super good jrpg.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If you want Cristales just read the Bible.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

RodShaft posted:

BTB was a nice surprise when I joined this stupid gay Photoshop website instead of fark or worth1000 :filez:

Trap sprung; BTB never had warez.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pararoid posted:

Is this still a thing in some countries?

I got a notification once for torrenting a PS2 Castlevania game that couldn't be legally bought anymore.

Bottom Liner posted:

Maybe nothing, maybe everything, but deciding you know everything about the story and quality therein without playing the game yourself is big farthuffer bullshit.

That's just how Games rolls. See a trailer slam decide all the plot

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I got hundreds and hundreds of copyright strikes one time related to Beavis and Butthead. There is no legal way to purchase them as aired on MTV because the music rights were limited only to broadcast TV. Anybody dumb enough to try to obtain it other ways won't get any questions about Beavis and butthead itself, but for all of the music videos, one complaint per track.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

~Coxy posted:

Trap sprung; BTB never had warez.

RodShaft posted:

DPPH was a nice surprise when I joined this stupid gay Photoshop website instead of fark or worth1000 :filez:

FTFM

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I beat loop hero last night, after 30 some hours. It was free and good. :colbert:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The rumored March PS+ games are Ghostrunner, Team Sonic Racing, and Ghost of Tsushima Legends, the standalone co-op campaign.

E: https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1496523188490153994?s=20&t=YyUYbtw6OatbuNUXkKPmKQ

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 23, 2022

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Waffleman_ posted:

The rumored March PS+ games are Ghostrunner, Team Sonic Racing, and Ghost of Tsushima Legends, the standalone co-op campaign.

E: https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1496523188490153994?s=20&t=YyUYbtw6OatbuNUXkKPmKQ

bleh

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I sleep

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, maybe if they had the base game of Tsushima, I'd be interested.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I will play Team Sonic Racing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
TSR is good. Not as good as Transformed but the mechanics of team races are really cool

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Waffleman_ posted:

this has to be because of all the headlines going "march is always the best ps+ month so it's going to be a banger!" articles

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, maybe if they had the base game of Tsushima, I'd be interested.

Legends mode is fun as hell and really drat good, if you like coop MP.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Anyone want a code for Sid Meier's Civilization III Complete ?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Fuzz posted:

Legends mode is fun as hell and really drat good, if you like coop MP.

Yeah the combat is still a lot of fun even without the exploration of single player. Tsushima's MP has a spooky/mystical vibe similar to Nioh that I really enjoyed as well. Legends is absolutely worth playing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
March's Amazon Twitch Prime Gaming Whatever free games announced

Madden NFL 22
Surviving Mars
Crypto Against All Odds
looK INside
Pesterquest
SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech
The Stillness of the Wind

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

The Kins posted:

Crypto Against All Odds

Oh. Someone made a tower defense game about being an early crypto admin, fighting to protect the blockchain from conspiracies...

At least some of the other games look good?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cris Tales is free on EGS this week

no game next week, just some unlocks for an f2p game

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

fit em all up in there posted:

Anyone want a code for Sid Meier's Civilization III Complete ?

Yo if nobody took you up on this, I will! That's the poo poo.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

repiv posted:

Huh. Saw a post this morning from a usually reliable place saying that next week would be Centipede: Recharged and Black Widow: Recharged (both are Geometry Wars style shooters). I wonder if there was a last minute change then. Hopefully they get these added back in or they appear soon.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

CrisTales - kinda neat RPG with interesting graphics and a cool time travel mechanic, I got a few hours in when I had gamepass way back and I remember it being OK but not OK enough for me to finish.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

JammyB posted:

Huh. Saw a post this morning from a usually reliable place saying that next week would be Centipede: Recharged and Black Widow: Recharged (both are Geometry Wars style shooters). I wonder if there was a last minute change then. Hopefully they get these added back in or they appear soon.

Why would you care if they were added free? It's not like we play these free games.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Games > Free Games: EGS Freebies - OK, but not enough for me to finish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

El Fideo posted:

Yo if nobody took you up on this, I will! That's the poo poo.

it's yours. Do you want me to send it to you via email or on discord ?