Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

It’s very funny seeing the same article every day for 2 and a half weeks now about how this is totally happening any day now, and the sick media bloodthirsty freaks edging to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

buglord posted:

Another dumb q: at what point do things start going past the point of no return? It seems like everyone can still sorta walk away from this with their face being saved?

Or are we still trying to figure out if Putin is dead set on Ukraine and is seeing if he can do it without doing a land war, but absolutely willing to go the mile if he needs to?

Extreme 101 q apologies for it.

There is no hard "point of no return" as such.

Things could stop now because Putin gets cold feet, troops withdraw, everyone goes home, back to the low level conflict that's been going on for nearly a decade.

Russian troops could advance into Donbas, attack Ukrainian positions in the frontier with artillery and airstrikes, then broker a ceasefire and again everyone goes home.

Russian troops advance into Ukrainian territory after 8-24 hours of artillery/airstrikes demolishing Ukrainian warfighting capability and begin securing a land route to Crimea including capturing Mariupol, then an internationally brokered ceasefire consolidates their gains and everyone goes home.

I think that last one is as far as the conflict would go but it can keep getting worse, and it can in theory stop at any point prior since war is a ultimately a political decision. But I believe that decision has been made for weeks and negotiations have been performative.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Conspiratiorist posted:

There is no hard "point of no return" as such.

Things could stop now because Putin gets cold feet, troops withdraw, everyone goes home, back to the low level conflict that's been going on for nearly a decade.

How much of a drain is this kind of deployment we are seeing, on Russian resources?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Playing Putin's advocate for a second, despite how chaotic things have been for the past few days, I don't think there have been many casualties yet. Broken gas pipes, blown up cars, holes in the walls? Yes. People in body bags? No.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I can't help but feel that Biden constantly going "they're about to do it" is some kind of international affairs version of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C1Pr4AU2wc

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Trump posted:

How much of a drain is this kind of deployment we are seeing, on Russian resources?

I'd have to ask someone else to run me cost estimates, but even with the >600B USD ForEx warchest they built-up prior this to make up for the difference, RusMil would be facing procurement problems for the next year or two just from all the vehicles, equipment, fuel and ammo spent/taken out of depot conditions. A lot of that is hard to replace or effectively irreplaceable.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

BoldFace posted:

Playing Putin's advocate for a second, despite how chaotic things have been for the past few days, I don't think there have been many casualties yet. Broken gas pipes, blown up cars, holes in the walls? Yes. People in body bags? No.

I don't understand your point?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

a lot of the reason that the US has been making so much noise is, more cynically, also that NATO wants to remind people that it exists and is important and that everyone should totally spend two percent of their budgets on buying toys from the US. NATO's been acting more aggressively in securing basing rights in northern europe for the past decade or so and definitely seems to want to stay relevant.

at this point a million things can go wrong. there's very nervous warlike people, including outright psycho hypernationalists, in the field on both sides. it is very important when assessing this kind of information that we don't actually know who's made what decision - clearly there's been a central decision to increase shelling etc., but stuff like cars or pipes blowing up could be anything from covert action to some idiot on the ground deciding that this all looks like a good excuse for a war to simply an accident. it's going to get caught up in the propaganda churn either way. when the a russian anti-air system blew up an airliner the russians couldn't admit it - and this applies to everyone with things as tense as they are. if some ukrainian ultra does something stupid, the ukrainians cannot admit it either.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

BoldFace posted:

What?

Edit for some content: I agree with the position stated earlier on the last page page that essentially the US and Biden have nothing to lose by constantly calling out Russian aggression or even the potential for it. Those of you who see all this as "bumbling" have a very odd perspective on how international relations function. At this point, I'd say just about everybody wins if Russia walks away. The Russians won't, this is going hot, but even so.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Does everyone not understand that Biden in the United States government doesn't actually care if they're wrong? The point is to put it to Russia to prove them wrong and thus far Russia has not proven them wrong.

If Biden and the administration winds up being wrong and there's no war, they'll be a strong argument to be made that it was because the United States kept calling out Russian aggression every time it happened. If on the other hand the United States is wrong, that allows Russia to save face and everyone to say look how we overreacted. It's extremely calculated.

Double edit: The quote

Giggle Goose fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 19, 2022

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'd have to ask someone else to run me cost estimates, but even with the >600B USD ForEx warchest they built-up prior this to make up for the difference, RusMil would be facing procurement problems for the next year or two just from all the vehicles, equipment, fuel and ammo spent/taken out of depot conditions. A lot of that is hard to replace or effectively irreplaceable.

Wonder if it's more cost effective to use the material and stock in a limited war than to haul everything back.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It is, for a bunch of stuff.

Still more expensive in munitions/equipment/personnel to actually commit but there's a good chunk of vehicles they mobilized that if nothing happened would just be abandoned.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

https://twitter.com/ignis_fatum/status/1494873252463882240

Explosions reported near Mariupol. No reports of damage so likely Ukrainian counter-battery fire.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

V. Illych L. posted:

a lot of the reason that the US has been making so much noise is, more cynically, also that NATO wants to remind people that it exists and is important and that everyone should totally spend two percent of their budgets on buying toys from the US. NATO's been acting more aggressively in securing basing rights in northern europe for the past decade or so and definitely seems to want to stay relevant.

Would actually be funny if Biden and Putin are in cahoots to scare Europe into buying a bunch of weapons and then they split all the profits. Next week they'll both be in the Bahamas drinking margaritas. One last job before retirement. Netflix get it greenlit!

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

While I agree the only invasion scenario that isn't fantastically stupid is one focused on the bits that are already de facto Russian-controlled, I could very easily see some limited land grabs tacked onto it. Particularly in the service of further securing Crimea.

Is Crimea in question? I dont think that anything anyone can do will make Crimea, Ukrainian. Short of invasion and recolonization by them.

Rodiel fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 19, 2022

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1494925173224583169?s=20&t=Y9CPeuE2F609Ai5YYJ4fQg

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1494919339249651713?s=20&t=Y9CPeuE2F609Ai5YYJ4fQg

Was hoping things would stall or at least cool down, but alas.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

DPR has announced a general mobilization.

efb

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Giggle Goose posted:

Edit for some content: I agree with the position stated earlier on the last page page that essentially the US and Biden have nothing to lose by constantly calling out Russian aggression or even the potential for it. Those of you who see all this as "bumbling" have a very odd perspective on how international relations function. At this point, I'd say just about everybody wins if Russia walks away. The Russians won't, this is going hot, but even so.

Biden hemorrhages credibility every time he says an invasion is imminent, and then it doesn't materialize. It makes him look like he's trying to manufacture consent, so he can make a war actually happen. It's the sort of language that the Marco Rubios of the West use when they beat the drums for war with Iran.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Majorian posted:

Biden hemorrhages credibility every time he says an invasion is imminent, and then it doesn't materialize. It makes him look like he's trying to manufacture consent, so he can make a war actually happen. It's the sort of language that the Marco Rubios of the West use when they beat the drums for war with Iran.

Does he lose credibility with people he ever actually had it with? That’s an honest question, I’m not being snarky. The criticism I’ve seen of what he’s doing largely comes from people who have little respect for anything he does in the first place.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

raminasi posted:

Does he lose credibility with people he ever actually had it with? That’s an honest question, I’m not being snarky. The criticism I’ve seen of what he’s doing largely comes from people who have little respect for anything he does in the first place.

That's a fair question, and I mean, yeah, in terms of absolute numbers it's mostly people who already thought he was a warmongering idiot. The problem is, if the messaging from the Ukrainian government is any indication, he's also losing whatever credibility he may have had with key actors in this whole crisis.

I was already going to post this, but your question gives me an excellent segue into it, so thanks!:waycool:

So, I found this to be a pretty telling interview on the topic of manufacturing consent, misinformation, etc:

https://twitter.com/b_judah/status/1494008719947960321

Here's the quote that stuck out at me: (about 9:30 in)

quote:

SAWER: Putin’s Russia has been rather skillful at shaping narratives, at using their arguments and at times their propaganda in order to shape opinion, partly in their own country, but even more so in the West. I think that what the US administration in particular has been quite adept at in this crisis has been, first of all, corralling the West, coordinating and orchestrating a common Western response. And secondly, not allowing Putin to have it all his own way on the airwaves.

Now, you talk about intelligence - I think, actually, these are not gems from deeply sensitive agent reporting. What has been released, the idea that Putin might want to dislodge Zelensky and replace him with a puppet government, or that he’s going to contrive a pretext for Russian intervention in the east of Ukraine, these are based on a growing understanding, an analysis of Putin, rather than deep, secret intelligence reports.

And I think wrapping them up as intelligence and adding a few sort of juicy names to the reporting just gives some good stories for the media, and helps push back against the narrative. It’s a skillful use of information and analysis to turn the tables on Putin and his own ability to dominate the airwaves.

This is a remarkable admission by a former intelligence chief, particularly one from a leading member of NATO and one of the Five Eyes. Sawer is effectively revealing that many of these leaks to the press and allied governments about an inevitable Russian invasion occurring literally any second now were not aimed at providing accurate intelligence. They were about "corralling" Western governments to rally behind NATO, and fighting Russian misinformation with their own brand of misinformation.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Rodiel posted:

Is Crimea in question? I dont think that anything anyone can do will make Crimea, Ukrainian. Short of invasion and recolonization by them.

I believe he means Russia securing a land bridge to Crimea - to ease the supply of water/electricity/etc (the former was pretty bad so far).

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Majorian posted:

This is a remarkable admission by a former intelligence chief, particularly one from a leading member of NATO and one of the Five Eyes. Sawer is effectively revealing that many of these leaks to the press and allied governments about an inevitable Russian invasion occurring literally any second now were not aimed at providing accurate intelligence. They were about "corralling" Western governments to rally behind NATO, and fighting Russian misinformation with their own brand of misinformation.

I'm totally willing to buy that the CIA is junk and wrong, but this is just this guy's opinion. It's an informed opinion based on his understanding of how the intelligence community works, but it seems a bit much to call it an "admission." I sincerely doubt that he'd be saying this if it wasn't just speculation.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Majorian posted:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1494863649500168193

The intent is behind call out Russia is explicitly to defang any potential justification they might use to actually invade. It also gives an easy win for Russia to point to these as the US being hysterical when the invasion doesn't happen. It incentives Russia to not actually invade or to at least delay.

What's the consent being manufactured here? The whole of NATO has ruled out a direct conflict with Russia in Ukraine, no one wants that.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Nobody wants that but their willingness to impose cost on Russia if they move ahead with it varies, and Washington wants everyone on the same page.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 19, 2022

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Concerned Citizen posted:

I'm totally willing to buy that the CIA is junk and wrong, but this is just this guy's opinion. It's an informed opinion based on his understanding of how the intelligence community works, but it seems a bit much to call it an "admission." I sincerely doubt that he'd be saying this if it wasn't just speculation.

The guy is also talking about two different things. Like, he talks about how the US has been good at corralling the west and then later he talks about how in his opinionsome (not all) of the intelligence is based on analysis of putin, not 'real' intelligence reports - whatever that distinction entails. It's not like he is saying there is no actual intelligence. Like, russia massing troops on the border, or building and sponsoring militias in donbas is obviously not just fake news used to manufacture consent and corral e west.

Maybe the 'putin is going to invade right now' thing will make putin not do it, just so he can laugh about the stupid americans falling for his 4d chess trap. Great resolution, for the immediate anyway. Maybe decision has actually been made. I don't think that guys best guess is enough to say that the US is hoaxing the west into thinking that russia might attack.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1494945105110880258
A single shell fell on the Russian side of the border. Russian news are jumping on it.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Conspiratiorist posted:

Nobody wants that but their willingness to impose cost on Russia if they move ahead with it varies, and Washington wants everyone on the same page.

If that is what manufacturing consent is then I'm all for it in this case.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

raminasi posted:

I personally won't think it will matter too much if Russia commits to an invasion. Biden can spin by saying "Putin was stalling to make me look bad by kicking back the date a few weeks!" In the end a country's leader doesn't lightly commit to an invasion of another country and all the warnings that don't come to pass from the US or western leaders that didn't happen will be forgotten when the invasion gets going.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

pippy posted:

If that is what manufacturing consent is then I'm all for it in this case.

My appraisal is that, noting I don't care about ~American Credibility~ or Biden looking like a fool, by selling the idea of a large-scale invasion as a virtual certainty to the Western public you grant Putin a bargaining chip he can use to consolidate his gains while negotiating a peace deal.

Now it doesn't matter if he never intended to lay siege to Kyiv, because if he promises he won't if the international community concedes Y and Z while brokering an end to hostilities, those have to be considered tangible talking points by Western leadership for narrative/electoral reasons.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

pippy posted:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1494863649500168193

The intent is behind call out Russia is explicitly to defang any potential justification they might use to actually invade. It also gives an easy win for Russia to point to these as the US being hysterical when the invasion doesn't happen. It incentives Russia to not actually invade or to at least delay.

What's the consent being manufactured here? The whole of NATO has ruled out a direct conflict with Russia in Ukraine, no one wants that.

I honestly don’t see that as anything more than a lame post-hoc justification for the White House getting it wrong so many times in a row over this incident. Calling out Russia’s potential invasion strategies isn’t going to defang anything. If they invade, it’s going to largely follow the Georgia ‘08 model: breakaway region provokes the national government to send in the troops, Russia send in their troops and drive them off, and the breakaway region gets a new lease on life while weakening the national government. If that does end up happening (and I’m still skeptical), the whole “leaking it to the press so they put out another flurry of panicked pieces” model isn’t going to stop it. There are quicker ways of warning Zelensky.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Feb 19, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

My appraisal is that, noting I don't care about ~American Credibility~ or Biden looking like a fool, by selling the idea of a large-scale invasion as a virtual certainty to the Western public you grant Putin a bargaining chip he can use to consolidate his gains while negotiating a peace deal.

Now it doesn't matter if he never intended to lay siege to Kyiv, because if he promises he won't if the international community concedes Y and Z while brokering an end to hostilities, those have to be considered tangible talking points by Western leadership for narrative/electoral reasons.

But we're likely past the negotiation phase of this crisis and this didn't happen at all. Calling out Putin's invasion threat early seems to have exactly the opposite effect to the one you fear - alliance opinion has coalesced around imposing costs for aggression, NATO has been clear it won't make any concessions, Western public opinion is pretty unified around there being only one side responsible for tensions.

Conversely, Putin has so obviously upped the ante that walking away with minor concessions would be a loss for him. I posted earlier and I still think that even an outright annexation of the donbass would be a failure outcome given the ambition and whats been put on the line.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Alchenar posted:

But we're likely past the negotiation phase of this crisis and this didn't happen at all. Calling out Putin's invasion threat early seems to have exactly the opposite effect to the one you fear - alliance opinion has coalesced around imposing costs for aggression, NATO has been clear it won't make any concessions, Western public opinion is pretty unified around there being only one side responsible for tensions.

Conversely, Putin has so obviously upped the ante that walking away with minor concessions would be a loss for him. I posted earlier and I still think that even an outright annexation of the donbass would be a failure outcome given the ambition and whats been put on the line.

You misunderstand: I meant after the shooting starts.

Meanwhile NATO can't agree on what kind of sanctions to impose.

Hell the US can't agree with itself on what kind of sanctions to impose.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 19, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

Oh well in that case I don't think that it's relevant at all. When the shooting starts then the movement of forces will be proof in themselves of what the objective was. Also the Western line has been 'invasion carries costs, also it looks like you've positioned to threaten Kiev'. Nobody has actually linked costs to a defined invasion end state which I think is probably deliberate and gives the West some space to apply leverage and escalating costs for a return to status-quo-ante.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Conspiratiorist posted:

A single shell fell on the Russian side of the border. Russian news are jumping on it.

Sounds like Sender Gleiwitz. Now Putin just has to decide when he will announce that they are officially shooting back.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Hell the US can't agree with itself on what kind of sanctions to impose.

One important factor is that public perception changes once the tanks roll - especially on live TV - which will hopefully ensure harsh sanctions.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 19, 2022

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Is Mityakinskaya closer to separatist territories or to Kyiv-controlled ones?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Attempted NATO chlorine gas attack on Donetsk happened on the 8th already, huge if big

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1494980844024385540?t=o-DLbm8hqZBxlsi72SEpaQ&s=19

lunael1982
Oct 19, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Reminds ne of this:

"The Shelling of Mainila was a military incident on 26 November 1939 in which the Soviet Union's Red Army shelled the Soviet village of Mainila near Beloostrov. The Soviet Union declared that the fire originated from Finland across the nearby border and claimed to have had losses in personnel."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelling_of_Mainila

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Majorian posted:

I honestly don’t see that as anything more than a lame post-hoc justification for the White House getting it wrong so many times in a row over this incident. Calling out Russia’s potential invasion strategies isn’t going to defang anything. If they invade, it’s going to largely follow the Georgia ‘08 model: breakaway region provokes the national government to send in the troops, Russia send in their troops and drive them off, and the breakaway region gets a new lease on life while weakening the national government. If that does end up happening (and I’m still skeptical), the whole “leaking it to the press so they put out another flurry of panicked pieces” model isn’t going to stop it. There are quicker ways of warning Zelensky.

So why would the US being wrong "make a war actually happen"?

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Conspiratiorist posted:

NATO is a military alliance not an economic bloc.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Is Mityakinskaya closer to separatist territories or to Kyiv-controlled ones?

Edit: Supposed photos https://t.me/SIL0VIKI/41043

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

BoldFace posted:

Ukraine vs Russia: Playing Putin's Advocate for a second...

no but seriously, "... and?" the gently caress is your point