Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

oobey posted:

Ohhhhh. Oh my God. Okay, so the line isn't actually incomprehensible gibberish in the original.

It makes so much more sense now!
Yeah, most of the incomprehensibility of Shakespeare is overblown, but there are a few lines that do need an explanation and context. That line transforms from a pining for her lover to Juliet lamenting her poor luck in falling for the the worst person she could in town.

Similarly Polonius' advice to his son (the source of 'To thine own self be true' and 'Neither a borrower or a lender be') is actually suppose to be trite platitudes from a hypocritical bore, literally mocked behind his back by the recipient. So of course hypocritical bores love act like it's great wisdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

VitalSigns posted:

Not that hypocrisy matters but I thought hacking political opponents such as the DNC was good

Hacking the DNC is good, because they're bad. Hacking Trump is bad, because he's good.

Hannity gave the same excuse when Trump met with Kim Jong-Un and people were calling out how Hannity repeatedly said "The president should never meet with dictators, never have diplomatic relationships with dictators, it would be a massive mistake for the president to ever meet with Kim Jong-Un." He straight up just went "Yeah, I said that it would be a mistake, because Obama was a bad president. Since Trump is a good president, it's not a mistake for him to do it."

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Tibalt posted:

Yeah, most of the incomprehensibility of Shakespeare is overblown, but there are a few lines that do need an explanation and context. That line transforms from a pining for her lover to Juliet lamenting her poor luck in falling for the the worst person she could in town.

Similarly Polonius' advice to his son (the source of 'To thine own self be true' and 'Neither a borrower or a lender be') is actually suppose to be trite platitudes from a hypocritical bore, literally mocked behind his back by the recipient. So of course hypocritical bores love act like it's great wisdom.

Yeah he's also the source of "Brevity is the soul of wit" and people forget that the statement is supposed to be so stupid that it's funny.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

rodbeard posted:

Yeah he's also the source of "Brevity is the soul of wit" and people forget that the statement is supposed to be so stupid that it's funny.

Less that the statement itself is stupid but funny because it's coming from someone who won't shut the hell up.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Rebecca Hendin on a challenging week for the royal family – As speculation grows the Queen will have to bail out Prince Andrew in his settlement with Virginia Giuffre, news emerged Prince Charles could be called as witness in cash-for-honours investigation"

Telegraph:

Scorn poured on Russia’s claims of withdrawal from Ukraine as Putin accused of faking de-escalation

Matt:

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Storm Eunice wreaks UK travel chaos as roads closed and trains curtailed

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Not that hypocrisy matters but I thought hacking political opponents such as the DNC was good

The amusing thing about all this is that my first thought was "there are people at the DNC capable enough to hack?"

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!
"Rank and Defile"

Apple Pie Hubbub fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 19, 2022

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Why can't Americans understand that they're being profiteered off of by oil companies, and it's not just Biden sneering evily while he turns up the dial for gas prices?

Like how hard of a concept is this?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

War Wizard posted:

Why can't Americans understand that they're being profiteered off of by oil companies, and it's not just Biden sneering evily while he turns up the dial for gas prices?

Billionaires good. Democrats bad.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Australia’s largest coal-fired power station, Eraring, to close in 2025, seven years early (Guardian). "Origin Energy says the 2,880MW black-coal generator in NSW is not well-suited to rapidly changing conditions in the national electricity market".

Rowe:

A whole pile of what's going on in Australian politics.

Moir:

Lethbridge:

Opposition leader Anthony Albanese in the target.

Dyson:

Leak, Son of Leak:

That is Simon Holmes à Court, who funds/runs Climate 200 which donates money to politicians who improve climate policy. They are currently funding the "Voices of" independent group which is running candidates against Liberals and Nationals where climate action is a large policy difference.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

War Wizard posted:

Because business good and government bad, so anything business does that is bad must actually be government.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

War Wizard posted:

Oil companies spend a lot on astroturfin the memesphere

https://twitter.com/DanPriceSeattle/status/1493761624183820290

E: I am bad at posting tweet; this is the image in question:

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

gently caress me, I laughed at this.

quote:

And this is just painful. Yo, Carmen, just a thought, but you might possibly have an easier time getting folks to sign on to your pointless campaign if you had a platform of any kind beyond "oh no, Winslow, this is bad".

quote:

None of those things are false flags, so I guess the idea is "they're false" and "I've put them on flags so I can write False Flags at the top."

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm beginning to think allowing giant company's own and control the communication platforms was a bad idea

Weird that

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

The Clintons. Lower Than a snake’s belly

When I heard that Hillary was dismissing her crimes with a wave of her gnarly hand and a cackling lie I thought of the old cliché: Lower than a snake’s belly. That’s what the Clintons are.

No, they are lower than that. They are scum.

Comparing them with scum isn’t fair to scum, though. Scum looks fairly meretricious compared to the Clintons. Bill and Hillary are lower than scum. They are lower than the toxic water filling the Deep State Swamp. They are lower than the fetid, rotten bottom of the swamp.

The Clintons are maggot-like creatures squirming along the bedrock below the swamp. Their nefarious wrong-doings are too numerous to list here. Suffice to say Bill visited Epstein Island two dozen times. He wasn’t there to discuss business. Hillary created a nasty lie that cost taxpayers over $40 million to investigate. There was no Trump/Russia collusion. She and Obama spied on Trump’s campaign. They spied on Trump when he was in office. The Deep State was in on it.

Madame Crooksident is the lowest of the low, but she thinks all she has to do is lie and cheat her way into the highest office of the land. That must not happen. We need to make sure the elections are no longer rigged. That means ending mail-in ballots, drop boxes–and most of all, the Dominion voting machines.

— Ben Garrison

I hope Ben remembered to renew his $CUM PASS before making this one.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Raised By Birds posted:

Kellies nomination: worst label

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm starting to think presinald trump did not do a very good job cleaning up this swamp! Better give him another chance when he's another 4 years into his 70-year sundowning phase, surely he'll get it this time.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Snake's Belly

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I get that they desperately want Hillary to run for president, but has Bill done... ANYTHING relevant in the last handful of years?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

kartikeya posted:

And this is just painful. Yo, Carmen, just a thought, but you might possibly have an easier time getting folks to sign on to your pointless campaign if you had a platform of any kind beyond "oh no, Winslow, this is bad".

*cackle cackle*

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Neito posted:

I get that they desperately want Hillary to run for president, but has Bill done... ANYTHING relevant in the last handful of years?

He strangled Epstein with his own hands.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

dan price sucks too iirc (can't be a high profile CEO without being an egomaniac even if you do do a kinda ok thing with wages) but he's not wrong on this one

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Nick Anderson

Robert Ariail

Clay Bennett

Lisa Benson

Steve Breen

Tim Campbell

Stuart Carlson

Jeff Danziger

John Deering

Al Goodwyn

Walt Handelsman

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

Steve Kelley

Gary Markstein

Jack Ohman

Henry Payne

Joel Pett

Marshall Ramsey

Rob Rogers

Drew Sheneman

Jeff Stahler

Scott Stantis

Dana Summers

Tony Branco

quote:

Who’s Your Daddy? Trudeau is acting more like a communist dictator reminiscent of Mao, Stalin, and Castro.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

How does panel one lead into panel two? How are these two objects interacting?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Raised By Birds posted:

Gary Markstein

Georgia like "what am I chopped liver?"

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Trudeau being the son of Castro is the conservative answer to the Trump Piss Tape: both sides just really really want it to be real.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Raised By Birds posted:

The 'Snake's Belly' label is hilarious, but what really kills me is the tiny little arrow.

The Three Men and a Baby remake has taken a bit of a weird turn.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Even in his persecution fantasy where a linebacker in a tutu has stolen the women’s gold trophy, there’s still room on the podium for a cis girl to win silver. Sounds like she was still good enough to beat all the other trans women who inevitably began clogging up the competition once wokism infected the sport.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It also really speaks to the toxic conservative worldview of sports, where everyone who's not #1 is a filthy, worthless loser.

And god forbid that kids do sports to have fun.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

:shrug:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Too easy:

Necessary:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Is it me or is this an actually good comic? The movement could be made more clear but it's a fairly simple and effective visual metaphor.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Is it me or is this an actually good comic? The movement could be made more clear but it's a fairly simple and effective visual metaphor.

On the face of it it's quite good, but the metaphor is wonky. The setup is a "pistols at dawn", which suggests both parties want a war (untrue). And in such a duel, walking away is the lead-up for shooting, so it doesn't even match up with the idea of a withdrawal. Really this cartoon only works if the message is "Russia is cheating"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

On the face of it it's quite good, but the metaphor is wonky. The setup is a "pistols at dawn", which suggests both parties want a war (untrue). And in such a duel, walking away is the lead-up for shooting, so it doesn't even match up with the idea of a withdrawal. Really this cartoon only works if the message is "Russia is cheating"

Russia is cheating, though. False flags, lying about Ukrainian intentions, forced evacuations...

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
That is true, and indeed lying about withdrawal is one of the ways it's cheating, but the metaphor is still wonky (because if Russia was walking away, that wouldn't be withdrawal - that would be getting ready to shoot)

E: it's still the best of the bunch, to be fair.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

wizzardstaff posted:

Even in his persecution fantasy where a linebacker in a tutu has stolen the women’s gold trophy, there’s still room on the podium for a cis girl to win silver. Sounds like she was still good enough to beat all the other trans women who inevitably began clogging up the competition once wokism infected the sport.

There's also no mentioning of trans women. he just automatically assumes that reader is trans phobic enough to get the point. Taken on it's own it's just a really bad motivational speech.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

That is true, and indeed lying about withdrawal is one of the ways it's cheating, but the metaphor is still wonky (because if Russia was walking away, that wouldn't be withdrawal - that would be getting ready to shoot)

E: it's still the best of the bunch, to be fair.

IMO it's a case of sacrificing strict accuracy for dramatic effect and comprehensibility.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

I thought randomly including fetishes in his cartoons was a Garrison thing. Besides the trampling, that truck has borderline ahegao-face. Speaking of Branco, I have to admire his restraint (for his standards, of course) in not explicitly adding an 'EGG ON THEIR FACE' label to his previous cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Skios posted:

I thought randomly including fetishes in his cartoons was a Garrison thing. Besides the trampling, that truck has borderline ahegao-face.
"Doctor, where do you find these pictures?"