Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Pat is doing LP's again "prerecorded streams" to throw up whenever he has to cancel a stream for any reason.

https://twitch.tv/patstaresat He's showing Pillars of Eternity 2 right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grouchio posted:

Games Workshop is a loving joke. The companies adapting it's work into series like Total Warhammer are more passionate than them.

Games Workshop has a lot passion in a lot of it's recent projects actually

Al-Saqr posted:

Oh wait are they cancelling age of sigmas and bringing back normal fantasy? That rules

No. They are just bringing back the Old World as it's own thing. Age of Sigmar will go on and continue to be GW's currently best game.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AShamefulDisplay posted:

I don't think I've seen anything about them going back to square bases and given that all of their games now are on circle bases, it seems like a very GW thing to just use AOS rules with old army lists.

This is from July of last year
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/21/square-bases-and-kislev-ascendant-see-your-questions-about-warhammer-the-old-world-answered/

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Woolie starting the podcast talking about a documentary on the Indonesian genocide was a pretty bold new direction for the boys to go with.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Judge Tesla posted:

Woolie starting the podcast talking about a documentary on the Indonesian genocide was a pretty bold new direction for the boys to go with.
Try to guess what the comments are like on youtube clip of that bit.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Forgall posted:

Try to guess what the comments are like on youtube clip of that bit.

Appreciative, interested, recommending other things on a similar topic, a couple concerned about how much depressing stuff Woolie's subjecting himself to, exactly one rear end in a top hat going BUT WHAT IF IT HAD BEEN THE COMMUNISTS DOING THE GENOCIDE, WOULDN'T THAT HAVE BEEN WORSE

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Modern Indonesian history is a whole run of genocides, colonialism, and coups. To this day, in West Papau for example.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm actually watching that documentary now, it's pretty interesting. I'd be down with more documentary recommendations

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Big Scary Owl posted:

I'm actually watching that documentary now, it's pretty interesting. I'd be down with more documentary recommendations
Indonesian Destinies by Theodore Friend (2003) is an excellent, excellent biography of Indonesia from Independence to Suharto's Fall (1950-2000). I took notes on that very book 3 years ago, it's summary of the genocide as such:

Notes from Chapter 4, simply titled 'Amok' posted:

o "No mass murders would have taken place without the precipitating actions of G30S (the communist coup). No G30S would have taken shape without a deeply divided and inflamed polity. No such critical inflammations would have erupted without Sukarno’s prolonged, contradictory tactics of steer left politically and fuse all rhetorically—which aroused contending interests in contrary ways." (pg 120)

o "Dramatically different groups were tempted, and some became determined, to grab the steering wheel. Maybe General Yani and his intimates on the council of generals would have tried to do so and wrench it to the right. Certainly Colonel Untung and his progressive officers tried to preempt that possibility and to fix the leftward course. They miscalculated and paid for doing so. The PKI leaders in the politburo, whatever their degree of intuitive or implied commitment, or even secret verbal encouragement to the progressive officers, also paid, with their lives. And so did perhaps a half million other persons." (pg 120)

o "How could such terrible human cost have been avoided? One could wish that irrational economic policies under guided democracy had not produced scarifying inflation, grotesque enrichment of a few, increasing deaths from hunger, and a dreadful sense that things had veered out of control. In late 1965, in response to this crisis, Sukarno chose to “steer left” and step on the gas, with the result that the nation landed in the ditch." (pg 120)

o "For that extreme state of insecurity, if one must name one name, Sukarno is managerially responsible. For its extreme resolution, if one must name one name, Suharto is managerially responsible. But naming single names for such enormous events would be simpleminded. In Sukarno’s defense, the weak national integration could be traced to the repressive and divisive colonial policy of the Dutch, as well as to geography—the nation’s archipelagic fragmentation. And in Suharto’s defense, tens or arguably hundreds of thousands of Indonesians willingly participated in the killings." (pg 120)

o "National non-integration is common in tropical postcolonial countries. But what shall be said of national frenzy and acceptance of killing? The phenomenon may look strange from the vantage point of a technical culture, more at ease with causing death by bombs and missiles—deaths of persons whose faces one does not see. Distinctive in it are the factors of Nrima and Amok. Nrima, or passive acceptance, is perhaps easier to understand, especially at levels of society with little education or access to modern information." (pg 120)

o "If Islamic ideas were overriding, the concept of Nasib prevailed: destiny, one’s prescribed lot in life rather than personhood. For those involved in a Hindu-Buddhist sense of time, karmic cycles could not be avoided. In Java and Bali, where the overwhelming proportion of communists lived and were murdered, a strong sense of fate existed. The fact that Islamic righteous jihad and Shivaite destructive purification existed alongside historical passivity is not contradictory." (pg 121)

o "In all-encompassing mortal danger, one man was moved to wield the knife, and the other to yield to it. Amok, which is invoked by some Indonesians themselves, is a less-than-satisfying explanation for mass events. It has more explanatory power for depressed males who feel a manic urge to murder, in which they may kill many they happen to encounter and then may submit peacefully and guiltily to being summarily killed or finally judged." (pg 121)

o Amok at this individual level is clinically describable. Collective amok is conceivable but cannot be contained in clinical description. It suggests the warrior fury with which Muslims of Mindanao hurled themselves against American troops in the Philippine-American war over a century ago, at which time the corrupted term “run amuck” entered the American language. Soldiers, in the face of overwhelming odds, chose suicidal violence as a military tactic. “Both forms of amok involve the redemption of honor by frenzied violence resulting in the death of the amokker,” according to Robert Cribb. But death lists and clandestine killing grounds do not fit this description.

o "That does not rule out the notion of mob blood lust, fearfully and/or vengefully motivated. Amok is characterized by suddenness and panic. Enough quantity of slaughter and of grisly order existed here to stand aside from amok altogether. Those who would rely on amok with regard to the mass murders in Java, Bali, and elsewhere in 1965–66 may be resorting to an escape from blame: “We couldn’t help it.” The desire for collective self-exculpation is understandable. (pg 121)

o "But the better part of historical understanding and national reconciliation would be for those involved to acknowledge whatever needs to be acknowledged: that they personally took lives under cover of darkness or group anonymity. That they allowed themselves to be organized by army officers, mullahs, or political leaders to do so; or that as a leader of ABRI, NU, or PNI they organized or allowed to be organized mass murder to simplify their lives. To kill so as to feel less threatened: this was the terrible solution to the civil crisis of Indonesia." (pg 121)

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 11, 2022

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Ah, nice, I did miss that. Thanks for the link!

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Rody One Half posted:

Modern Indonesian history is a whole run of genocides, colonialism, and coups. To this day, in West Papau for example.

Well, I wouldn't say there's a constant stream of coups in this country. Soeharto's fall in 1998 wasn't quite a coup. After that, governments changed power peacfully. Relatively, speaking. But I wouldn't doubt there's a lot of extrajudicial killings in West Papua, though.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPk6C4dbCs

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Woolie actually took 2 full weeks of break from after he threw his back during that Disco Elysium stream. Failed an IRL physical check.

Alitur
Jan 10, 2019
So, people who played Everhood, is Woolie accurate in his assesments during the podcast? Cause if he is, wow. Yikes. Very much a case of "sometimes things are better off without a story".

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Woolie is taking the least charitable read of the story magnified by his personal hang-ups.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's weird cause at the part I'm at Woolie is clearly getting that "no, this not Undertale, Pacifism is not always good" and he's clearly seeing the messages of "hey, poo poo gets kinda fucky if you live for eternity"

He hasn't started shaking people in the anime. but I assumed reconciliation would have smoothed over any "I dont want to kill people who don't want to be killed."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Alitur posted:

So, people who played Everhood, is Woolie accurate in his assesments during the podcast? Cause if he is, wow. Yikes. Very much a case of "sometimes things are better off without a story".

It's basically the least charitable read on every single plot point and theme born from personal hangups and also just not paying that much attention because he's streaming a game and also has historically just missed the point of a lot of poo poo.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

everhood is simply too buddhist for a good christian boy like woolie

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Never assume that Woolie's take on any game is the most well thought out one.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alitur posted:

a key recurring figure in everhood is literally a Buddha, woolie’s not the smartest lad

Alitur
Jan 10, 2019
So, after reading about it more (I ain't got reaction time to play the game), it seems that the message is still somewhat bungled, even if it is not inherently YIKES? Like, while it is an uncharitable reading, but it is not completely unreasonable to say that Everhood supports killing your grandma on life support even if she says no*. I am pretty sure that it's unintentional, but it does seem to be a genuine flaw in the story.

*Mind you, as someone who supports euthanasia, I am of opinion that if grandma wants to die, than let her die. It's just that the final opinion is hers.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alitur posted:

So, after reading about it more (I ain't got reaction time to play the game), it seems that the message is still somewhat bungled, even if it is not inherently YIKES? Like, while it is an uncharitable reading, but it is not completely unreasonable to say that Everhood supports killing your grandma on life support even if she says no*. I am pretty sure that it's unintentional, but it does seem to be a genuine flaw in the story.

*Mind you, as someone who supports euthanasia, I am of opinion that if grandma wants to die, than let her die. It's just that the final opinion is hers.

the only bungling happens in the presentation (the weird dialogue and mostly unnecessary fourth-wall player-referencing stuff), not the concept itself. the Everhood is a bardo whose residents have all become hopelessly stagnant and/or violently insane from their time spent there, and part of that stagnation is their unwillingness to move on, whatever reason they might give. rasta beast is one of the most level-headed people there, but from another perspective he's among the worst because his reluctance to die is based in compassion for those around him, so he's harder to shake out of it than most

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So it's more like exorcising grandma's ghost?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dabir posted:

So it's more like exorcising grandma's ghost?

it's closer at least. ghosts in a lot of folklore are defined mainly by repetition - stuck to single places/actions/motivations, with deleterious effects on themselves and everyone around them. everhood's residents are in the same boat

it seems like the main takeaway re: woolie is that christian perspectives on life/death don't mesh very well with buddhist ones

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Alitur posted:

The fact that Everhood takes place specifically in a world where everyone is undying, thinking the message is "pulling the plug on grandma is good" feels like looking at Undertale and thinking the message is "violence is always bad and you shouldn't punch fascists'"

That said I'm not going to pretend i am a good game understander, since I didn't really consider the themes/meanings of the game deeply. I saw it a lot more as a subversion of Undertale, or at least, a player's expectations maybe having played undertale.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I give it a lot more leeway than I might a AAA game with a huge dev team, the story is coherent enough but they do fall victim to being cryptic about poo poo a bit too often and they really needed to be more up front about the core of the story. like they do say immortality sucks, but they really needed to say outright "we have been here for millions of years(instead of saying "a long, long, long, long time"), trapped in eternity, and those who have died cannot truly pass on while even a single immortal remains". that'd do a lot for getting it across to folks like woolie better imo

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

everhood is about coming to terms with death, how it may be ugly but it is a natural part of life and how avoiding death isn't the same as living, and uses a setting of immortals to ponder on those themes. if someone's takeaway is "wow so this means you should kill people if they have no natural lifespan" then they suck at media literacy because generally speaking, this is inapplicable because people in the real world tend to die on their own over time

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Captain Invictus posted:

I give it a lot more leeway than I might a AAA game with a huge dev team, the story is coherent enough but they do fall victim to being cryptic about poo poo a bit too often and they really needed to be more up front about the core of the story. like they do say immortality sucks, but they really needed to say outright "we have been here for millions of years(instead of saying "a long, long, long, long time"), trapped in eternity, and those who have died cannot truly pass on while even a single immortal remains". that'd do a lot for getting it across to folks like woolie better imo

The 4 hour long hallway with tally marks to mark the passing of time does it pretty well. i don't think they should make the narrative less deftly handled and blunter for people who can't even pay attention to it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Oxxidation posted:

a key recurring figure in everhood is literally a Buddha, woolie’s not the smartest lad

See, if Woolie ever actually managed to finish Sekiro and then follow up with watching some 18-hour lore videos explaining Sekiro he would've been better prepared for this.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

He finished it, it was just agonizingly awful to watch because he refused to actually interface with the game whatsoever after a point long before then.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I've actually been rewatching Woolie playing Sekiro and it's incredible watching his enthusiasm immediately drain out after going into each session excited.

"This feels unintended so I'm not going to do it" whenever he wins, "I must just be mistiming that" whenever he tries to facefuck a boss and gets punished for not playing like the ninja he's supposed to be.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 21, 2022

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Yardbomb posted:

He finished it, it was just agonizingly awful to watch because he refused to actually interface with the game whatsoever after a point long before then.

Dark Souls 1 with Reggie went like this, you could see early on that Woolie wasn't expecting Reggie to break the game over his knee and was slowly growing more annoyed as it continued, a perfect example of the master being lit up by the student.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Judge Tesla posted:

Dark Souls 1 with Reggie went like this, you could see early on that Woolie wasn't expecting Reggie to break the game over his knee and was slowly growing more annoyed as it continued, a perfect example of the master being lit up by the student.

they both seemed to be enjoying themselves: laughing, smiling, &c.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Reminder that Woolie literally thought he was open minded about changing his mind before actually saying outloud and laughed at by Pat at the beginning of CSB

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Bonaventure posted:

they both seemed to be enjoying themselves: laughing, smiling, &c.

Yeah no, Woolie seemed to enjoy Reggie breaking the game over his knee and him eating poo poo in equal measure.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Woolie is but a mirror for my own neuroses

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There have been more than a few times where I mistakenly took woolie to be the perfect foil to Pat in that I thought he was a relatively chill, perfectly reasonable voice in the room.

This has backfired on me a few times, and it's always hilarious to me when it happens.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

There have been more than a few times where I mistakenly took woolie to be the perfect foil to Pat in that I thought he was a relatively chill, perfectly reasonable voice in the room.

This has backfired on me a few times, and it's always hilarious to me when it happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGrwus5V2ZI

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly one of the greatest payoffs to the Dark Souls playthrough was during the final frog fight in Everhood.

The real WoolieVS begins now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Clips, lmao

Masterpiece