Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

He's an incredibly boring troll who makes the most zero effort 'that thing you like is actually bad' posts though to be fair this is the first thread I've seen actually bite instead of ignoring him so I can see why he's going ham suddenly

I mean, I don’t hate or even dislike FF6 (it’s 7/10) but his posts are closer to how I feel about it than most people seem to, even if I don’t agree entirely with them (Kefka is great, the gently caress) or feel as strongly about the stuff I agree with, so I don’t really see them as being a troll so much as not vibing with a game that’s always seemed the most “you had to be there to get it” one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Please, he farted through a trumpet preset on a 1992 cheap Casio keyboard.

There's a couple of DQ compositions I like (DQ4's battle theme, DQ8's tower of Alexandria and the flying theme) but..man I'm glad he's gone and hopefully someone who isn't a complete loving hack (regardless of everything else) can come in now

Sadly it won't be until DQ13 that we'll get someone new; Sugiyama apparently finished his compositions for DQ12 before he died.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

But then you start playing and its like ohhh this is just a final fantasy with dumb online bullshit you can safely ignore for the most part. And now yoship is making so you can ignore it for the whole part, loving great news.

What’s this mean, what are they changing? Haven’t played in like 3 years

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Please, he farted through a trumpet preset on a 1992 cheap Casio keyboard.

There's a couple of DQ compositions I like (DQ4's battle theme, DQ8's tower of Alexandria and the flying theme) but..man I'm glad he's gone and hopefully someone who isn't a complete loving hack (regardless of everything else) can come in now

Tower of Alexandria is legit one of the best DQ themes (orchestrated) and might be among one of my favorite RPG dungeon themes. I wonder who they will get going forward and if they'll just try to ape Sugiyama's style or do something new? I hope for the latter.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Last Celebration posted:

I mean, I don’t hate or even dislike FF6 (it’s 7/10) but his posts are closer to how I feel about it than most people seem to, even if I don’t agree entirely with them (Kefka is great, the gently caress) or feel as strongly about the stuff I agree with, so I don’t really see them as being a troll so much as not vibing with a game that’s always seemed the most “you had to be there to get it” one.

I feel like the issue of whether or not Gaius is trolling has been pretty settled ever since they insisted Sabin's name is actually Sabine and it was mistranslated, doing that even after people told them what Sabin's name actually is in Japan.

It's just tedious.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I like a lot of the compositions in the DQ games and I'd even rank some individual songs better than some FF songs but on a straight "This DQ game's entire soundtrack vs this FF's entire soundtrack" DQ is going to lose that battle basically every time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Sadly it won't be until DQ13 that we'll get someone new; Sugiyama apparently finished his compositions for DQ12 before he died.

Well hopefully they'll at least orchestrate them and not rely on MIDI again unless that was his dying loving wish

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Trolling or no, Gaius Marius is actually playing and posting about FF which is great during a lull before pixel remasters and Strangers Paradise. It's inspired some of the more interesting discussion about the games when it's not veered off into people mad about FF6 being a bad FF posting about posting instead of defending FF6.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Sleng Teng posted:

They are adding the trust system from shadowbringers/endwalker into realm reborn, heavensward and stormblood in april (i think) so you can go through the main quest dungeons and trials with npcs and scions and story characters (ones that make sense story wise at the time) ive been crying out for that during my entire play so far. They are redoing some late game realm reborn dungeons too but im not clear on the extent.

Thus making the ff14 main quest single player if you want it to be and no longer have to suffer lvl90 players from trying to speed run and ruin your first time in a dungeon just cos they are doing daily roulettes and dont care when they see the new player popup, stops mah immersion getting broken too

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

it was very funny though when SE put out a DQ Theatrythm and even the lifelong hardcore DQ fan I know of was like "uhhhhhhhh"

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Sleng Teng posted:

They are adding trusts up until I believe Stormblood? to the MSQ and changing all (90%?) 8 man trials in ARR to 4 man, so now you truly can play Final Fantasy XIV: The Game: The Movie: The Visual Novel instead of Final Fantasy XIV Online: The Award Winning Massive Multiplayer Online Game That Comes With an Expanded Free Trial (In A Few Days) That You Can Play Through Heavensward up to Level 60 for Free with no Playtime Restrictions (In a Few Days).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

kirbysuperstar posted:

it was very funny though when SE put out a DQ Theatrythm and even the lifelong hardcore DQ fan I know of was like "uhhhhhhhh"

Pretty telling it never got release outside Japan lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

They are adding the trust system from shadowbringers/endwalker into realm reborn, heavensward and stormblood in april (i think) so you can go through the main quest dungeons and trials with npcs and scions and story characters (ones that make sense story wise at the time) ive been crying out for that during my entire play so far. They are redoing some late game realm reborn dungeons too but im not clear on the extent. Thus making the ff14 main quest single player if you want it to be and no longer have to suffer lvl90 players from trying to speed run and ruin your first time in a dungeon just cos they are doing daily roulettes

The expansions will be done in stages, Castrum and Praetorium will become 4-player dungeons (meaning the much needed death of MSQ Roulette and people not getting through Castrum when they're in ARR because people bail if they don't get Prae) with Ultima Weapon becoming a story trial and the Lahabrea fight and hilariously, Rhitatyn/Cape Westwind, becoming single player story fights. Trials will still need randos, they aren't adding trusts to those for now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vikar, I'm continually baffled by your insistence that doing big trash pulls in dungeons, literally the only thing that makes trash interesting for tanks or healers, is somehow disrespecting the new player experience

Arist fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 19, 2022

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They said 8-player trials are being considered but it won't be until the next expansion at least.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Lol those FF14 changes sound awesome. Don’t get me wrong, I like doing stuff with other players but I kinda treat the game like a single player JRPG anyway and I’m not playing it for the endgame so that sounds right up my alley. Though I guess it wouldn’t be there for the current story trials but that’s ok

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Pretty telling it never got release outside Japan lol

I just assume that was Sugiyama making it prohibitively difficult, it checks with how he made a MIDI version of his orchestral VII 3DS OST for mobile devices/US out of spite, and also how it was a choice between no dub or no orchestral OST for VIII.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Arist posted:

Vikar, I'm continually baffled by your insistence that doing big trash pulls in during in dungeons, literally the only thing that makes trash interesting for tanks or healers, is somehow disrespecting the new player experience

Cos people always misunderstand me! Im talking about the dungeon, its design, snippets of lore notes, the look and feel. The immersion. Speedrunning breaks all that and when you dont do it as a tank (cos you are then the defacto leader) you get little weirdos giving you passive aggressive "you can pull more you know" messsges usually. Then again i either solo unsynced or "summon" if things get too tough, which they have been cos im playing like 4 different jobs at the same time noe lol. So i just hide the log window and emote like dark souls.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 19, 2022

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Sleng Teng posted:

Lol those FF14 changes sound awesome. Don’t get me wrong, I like doing stuff with other players but I kinda treat the game like a single player JRPG anyway and I’m not playing it for the endgame so that sounds right up my alley. Though I guess it wouldn’t be there for the current story trials but that’s ok

Trails are okay like that imo since no one is starting before you finish the cutscene and its just the one room too

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Those changes to Castrum and Praetorium sound good, they absolutely suck for a new player.

Let me tell you about not realizing you have to pick up the Magitek key before going up the elevator and being stuck alone for the next 5 minutes, missing the most fun part of that dungeon.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Frionnel posted:

Those changes to Castrum and Praetorium sound good, they absolutely suck for a new player.

Let me tell you about not realizing you have to pick up the Magitek key before going up the elevator and being stuck alone for the next 5 minutes, missing the most fun part of that dungeon.

Exactly. I did during that last mog token event and it was hell

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Frionnel posted:

Lol that happened to me too, dunno why they made that one item something everyone has to pick up when all the other keys only require someone to do it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ultima Weapon has a rad boss theme and it's a shame that power creep with players meant it dies before the theme gets to the really good part, so I'm glad that they're changing ARR's endgame.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it's absolutely one of my uh top five tracks in the game lol

It pops up again quickly in Dun Scaith at least (I think it's Dun Scaith, but one of that raid series at least).

I thought that was a real random pull but apparently Proto Ultima replaced some time limited thing that was there originally?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Final Fantasy Megathread: thanks Ted

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Nemo2342 posted:

Red Mage is really held back now that spells (including spell-casting equipment) scales off of Int. It's not the end of the world, but I'd think I'd rather run with a dedicated spell caster in the PR so they're actually useful at what you want them to do.

Honestly, I think the crit changes hurt RDM more--we're arguing "bugged to just be a better NIN with utility" versus "bugged to just be a better BLM with utility" here, but the amount of the game you spend autoattacking into trash fights being what it is, it's the part that hurts that which I feel the most.

That said, the original question was what jobs to take in PR, and I think it's pretty obvious. 6 jobs, 4 slots, you have to pick two to bench: you should take WAR/THF/WHM/RDM, leave MNK/BLM.
Why?
WAR's a near necessity in every run of every version. No one else wears heavy armor or wields the one of two endgame weapons that you get for the whole endgame rather than two boss fights.
THF is an effective boss killer now with its crits, and NIN still gets Haste, which is the single best black magic spell in the game by actual damage potential. It gets the best of the non-endgame weapons (or the worst of the endgame weapons if you want to consider the Katana that way,) and while it's still a bit underbalanced through the midgame the midgame is kind of a joke.
WHM used to be sliiiightly more utility healing than RDM and basically a trap option if you didn't have a turbo controller to buy 99 Potions easily. It still is for most of the game, but now we've got gigachad Chaos, who lasts forever and loves to follow up instakill casts/hits with AoEs for 50%; Araise is basically necessary to not fall into a death spiral, and only WHM gets Araise. Basically taken just to do that fight without being able to outDPS it.
RDM gets as many casts of FAST as BLM, but backs it up with melee rather than casts. Through the midgame, for what little it matters, a Hasted RDM stays competitive in boss damage with upper-level BLM spells, and a non-hasted one can usually oneshot trash, without burning through the at most 27 casts you get on the rather more than 27 rounds you'll fight in each dungeon; at the end, WHM being truly stuck on heal duty means SOMEONE else should take the Masamune, and it's silly to crowd out the Excalibur or Katana with it for incremental gains when it could go on someone with similar basic melee stats to the THF/NIN but unable to equip their or the WAR's exceptionally good poo poo.

MNK effectively gains half as much per level as it used to because it's all in the level scaling and that's been remapped evenly to 1-99 rather than 1-50, while every other job gains around 90% what it used to per level but levels up twice as much (stat gains are SOMEWHAT slower but still in the same ballpark, HP and spell gains, IIRC, are vanilla.) BLM has its moment to shine in stack-wiping big dangerous groups, but the big groups aren't dangerous at all due to not being rebalanced for your faster-leveling party; if you're using the mod that increases EXP to level that will be valuable until you run out of casts, which you will, but it'll be way less useful on Chaos since it can't just Cure4 the party while the WHM raises and makes a far worse Haste+Masamune platform.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 19, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

like ivalice. cos a dude on the ship straight up tells you so.

It really isn't the same Ivalice. Like the basic facts of the story don't line up with FFT or FFXII. The very fact that Fran, Ashe, and Dalmasca exist after Ramza and his crew instead of in the distant past instantly makes it impossible that it's the same Ivalice as in FFT/XII. The timeline is intentionally flipped on its head for the FFXIV version, with Ramza and his allies being the "Zodiac Braves" of legend, while in FFT, the "Zodiac Braves" were legendary heroes in the far past.

I know some guy mentions the War of the Lions but guess what? FFXIV had a War of the Magi, too, just like FFVI. And there's a Doma, with a Cyan (Kaien)! Doesn't mean FFVI happened in the same setting, though.

Ivalice is an homage, just like Doma. It's on a much larger scale with a lot more shared names, but it's just an homage, not an actual shared setting.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Harrow posted:

It really isn't the same Ivalice. Like the basic facts of the story don't line up with FFT or FFXII. The very fact that Fran, Ashe, and Dalmasca exist after Ramza and his crew instead of in the distant past instantly makes it impossible that it's the same Ivalice as in FFT/XII. The timeline is intentionally flipped on its head for the FFXIV version, with Ramza and his allies being the "Zodiac Braves" of legend, while in FFT, the "Zodiac Braves" were legendary heroes in the far past.

I know some guy mentions the War of the Lions but guess what? FFXIV had a War of the Magi, too, just like FFVI. And there's a Doma, with a Cyan (Kaien)! Doesn't mean FFVI happened in the same setting, though.

Ivalice is an homage, just like Doma. It's on a much larger scale with a lot more shared names, but it's just an homage, not an actual shared setting.

Or fft and ffxii are reflections or they are the book/fairy tales. Oh and thats not what an homage is but whatever lol

Where does vagrant story fit

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 19, 2022

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Vagrant Story gets a passing shoutout in the Ivalice Raid series by the mention of Lea Monde wine. But honestly, Vagrant Story wasn't even an Ivalice game to begin with. Matsuno only retroactively made it one later on.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

Or fft and ffxii are reflections or they are the book/fairy tales. Oh and thats not what an homage is but whatever lol

Where does vagrant story fit

I don't think that's quite how the reflections work but I don't know how far you are in the story so I won't go into more detail there. Also yeah I probably used that word imprecisely but I just woke up so cut me some slack.

As for Vagrant Story, Matsuno himself could never seem to make up his mind. He has at different times said it takes place in Ivalice (post-FFT, in a world where magic has faded even more) and then later said it doesn't, and then went back and said that it did, and then that it didn't again. "Lea Monde" gets a reference in FFXIV but I wouldn't put much stock into that, if only because, like, the basic metaphysics of the Ivalice games and Vagrant Story don't fit with FFXIV's to begin with.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Put Ashley Riot and "I am the reinforcements" in FFXIV

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Put Ashley Riot and "I am the reinforcements" in FFXIV

FFXIV couldn't handle his assless chaps.

Yet. The new graphical and animation updates... :sickos:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cleretic posted:

That's not to say that XIV Omega can't be the V Omega, or a number of others, because we know XIV Omega got extremely lost and has severe unaccounted-for patches, while V Omega has no known origin, but there is no evidence confirming this. This also means that XIV Omega can plausibly be any of the other 'unknown origin' Omegas in the series, including I, IV After Years, XII (although this has a very different design), XIII-2, and plausibly the Chocobo series although Alpha makes that weird.
XII Omega was built by a normal mad scientist dude, it's in the bestiary, can't be same omega as XIV omega

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

XII Omega was built by a normal mad scientist dude, it's in the bestiary, can't be same omega as XIV omega

Everyone in FF14 thought that Omega was built by the Allagans but that turned out to be a lie.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

kefka owns actually

Kefka completely rules because he actually wins. Every other villain gets thwarted eventually. Kefka actually succeeds in destroying the world. Who else can say that?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Elephant Ambush posted:

Kefka completely rules because he actually wins. Every other villain gets thwarted eventually. Kefka actually succeeds in destroying the world. Who else can say that?
FF2, FF5 (stretching a little but the Butz-Bals world with the void raging out in it isn't a super kind place), FF8, FF13-2, FF15 all have post-apocalyptic conclusions with immediate villainous victories later rectified by the team (or in case of 13-2, not at all and lead to an further apocalyptic conclusion in LR).

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Ultimecia sort of does? For one disc.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Elephant Ambush posted:

Kuja completely destroyed the world of Terra. And if you're going to count the World of Ruin as "destroyed" when many towns like Jidoor are totally fine and there's plenty of people around, then Emperor Mateus and Yu Yevon destroyed the world just as much.

In fact if you're going by the metric of "succeeded at their plan" for best villains then Yu Yevon is better than Kefka since not only did he succeed at his plan, he's literally immortal and can't be killed, Kefka got killed by an eight year old girl and a moogle. Oh yeah and when Mateus died he decided "gently caress you Satan" and took over Hell and Heaven. What did Kefka do after he got killed? Oh yeah. Nothing. Because he's a punk rear end loser bitch. Terrible villain.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Vayne may not have achieved his goal of becoming God-Emperor, but Venat did succeed at giving Man control of their own destiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

So I'm guessing these FFXIV "graphical updates" are going to be like taking your character from Phantasy Star Online 2 to PSO2 New Genesis? Same basic model, just more detailed and with better shaders/effects? That's what I get from looking at these pictures. (I don't play FFXIV, just making a comparison to something I do play).