Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
The Devs should really be ashamed that they are giving the Jade Falcons any chance of survival besides the whole "NEO BLACKWATCH" deal Alaric offered them at the End of Hour. Catalyst has merked/consolidated enough other factions in the last 9 years, make your decision and stick with it, popularity be damned.

We haven't had a new Nova Cat/Steiner/Kurita novel in at least 5 years (15 for Nova Cats), CJF has gotten 3. Insane priorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I'm reading tamar rising and everything I've seen is just "the jade falcons split into two factions, Jiyi's "ex-Ghost Bear sibkos and solahma armies who almost got merked by the Hell's Horses" and the merchant khan lady. Not even the most interesting people to me, I like the Tamar pact a lot, and I like reading about 3050 being the year of "what the actual gently caress happened" for everyone that wasn't on Terra. They do a good job of talking about the anxiety of the entire Wolf and Falcon touman just disappearing to.....somewhere for some reason.

It's a really good book. People seem to be complaining about the idea of what the content is without reading it, there's even a fun little reference to the cartoon in there. I'm not done though, I'm on page...70? So who knows how it will suss out.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Out of the many dumb things in that book, CJF neo black watch is pretty up there.

And yeah the devs jangling keys of faction changes when they have things like Clan Nova Cat stomping the Ghost Bears in a real world naval battle that (supposedly) affected canon, except lol nope, now in this sidebar CGB forced a tie. but now CGB respect the Nova Cats totally believe me oh NVM they warcrime NC warriors and civilians in the next book :banjo:

Edit: agreed I thought Tamar Rising was fun, I liked the CJF merchant empire forming in the remnant, and surprisingly I'm looking forward to Empire Alone and I hope that actually puts the FWL in the spotlight for awhile

Holybat fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 11, 2022

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'm reading tamar rising and everything I've seen is just "the jade falcons split into two factions, Jiyi's "ex-Ghost Bear sibkos and solahma armies who almost got merked by the Hell's Horses" and the merchant khan lady. Not even the most interesting people to me, I like the Tamar pact a lot, and I like reading about 3050 being the year of "what the actual gently caress happened" for everyone that wasn't on Terra. They do a good job of talking about the anxiety of the entire Wolf and Falcon touman just disappearing to.....somewhere for some reason.

It's a really good book. People seem to be complaining about the idea of what the content is without reading it, there's even a fun little reference to the cartoon in there. I'm not done though, I'm on page...70? So who knows how it will suss out.

*shrugs* When you've got CJF making dumb decisions that deserve to get them wiped out and a product basically says they're done in their current form, then the next product pulls a "Just kidding! Here's two splinter survivor factions despite the fact that if it was anyone else they'd be dead." especially when Catalyst has said zero* info on Nova Cat survivors for 9 years, it's uhhh, a little grating, well-written or not.

*No, having Kisho's Wendigo show up in a TRO and nothing else doesn't count.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 11, 2022

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Does anyone know what material CGL used for the Force Pack minis? Are they resin? PS?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Injection-molded plastic.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

*shrugs* When you've got CJF making dumb decisions that deserve to get them wiped out and a product basically says they're done in their current form, then the next product pulls a "Just kidding! Here's two splinter survivor factions despite the fact that if it was anyone else they'd be dead." especially when Catalyst has said zero* info on Nova Cat survivors for 9 years, it's uhhh, a little grating, well-written or not.

*No, having Kisho's Wendigo show up in a TRO and nothing else doesn't count.

Okay, sure, but only one of those factions is "jade falcon". Like 90% of the falcons were basically eaten up by other factions OR in the case of a dozen planets on the map, literally murdered by their own populace. There's a whopping four planets left from a massive interstellar empire. Hells Horses seems to be cartoonishly incompetent, that's the only thing that TR that kind of made me raise an eyebrow.

The main takeaway from Tamar Rising is that the title of "ilClan" is a poisoned pill to the extreme since both CJF successor factions basically just go full degzra and declare the contest doesn't count, the Hell's Horses straight up just say it doesn't matter because they weren't allowed to trial for it as well, most people just don't seem to care. Since 'ilClan' as a concept is basically the crusader version of a cultural endgame for the Clans, I'm interested to see what they come up with. Honestly, just very very interested in Empire Alone.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 11, 2022

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really can't wait to see Empire Alone, it's about time the FWL got some attention. And seeing almost no one give a poo poo about the ilClan is really satisfying to see. All in all, I'm really happy with Tamar Rising.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Pussy Cartel posted:

Iseeing almost no one give a poo poo about the ilClan is really satisfying to see. .

It's nice when the fiction mirrors reality

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Defiance Industries posted:

It's nice when the fiction mirrors reality

But the book got a second printing, which is impressive. Hour of the Wolf didn't get a second printing.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Part of that is that novels work entirely differently to sourcebooks and POD is a thing. The rest of it is that IlClan was well done but HOTW sucks.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Okay, sure, but only one of those factions is "jade falcon". Like 90% of the falcons were basically eaten up by other factions OR in the case of a dozen planets on the map, literally murdered by their own populace. There's a whopping four planets left from a massive interstellar empire. Hells Horses seems to be cartoonishly incompetent, that's the only thing that TR that kind of made me raise an eyebrow.

The main takeaway from Tamar Rising is that the title of "ilClan" is a poisoned pill to the extreme since both CJF successor factions basically just go full degzra and declare the contest doesn't count, the Hell's Horses straight up just say it doesn't matter because they weren't allowed to trial for it as well, most people just don't seem to care. Since 'ilClan' as a concept is basically the crusader version of a cultural endgame for the Clans, I'm interested to see what they come up with. Honestly, just very very interested in Empire Alone.

CJF getting 4 planets plus their neo-Blackwatch version is still better than what CGL gave the Republic (A couple of merc companies of former knights), and Clan Nova Cat (Marik + Kisho's survivors). I'm just irked that after HOTW where it was pretty conclusive CJF was a spent force destroyed by their (Malvina's) hubris), and that whatever survivors left over were just solahma garrison that would soon be wiped out, that one of the very next novels we get is "HEY GUYS GUESS WHAT CJF AIN'T DEAD YET, HERE'S THE MIRACULOUS RECONSTITUTION STORY". I guarantee you aren't going to see any treatment like that for Kisho's band or Republic remnants (I still lol when CGL initially tried to kill Kisho's group off-page during a convention, and were forced to walk it back).

Also, CHH's being cartoonishly incompetent has been their thing since like, their creation. I think it's dumb too because they seem to grow at the same rate as the Ghost Bears, but whenever they show up in fiction they get clowned on (Whereas whenever Bears show up they clown on others). CGL has been generous to factions like Kurita and Liao in the Dark Age, I don't know why they can't throw a bone to the Horses.

Good to know in-universe IlClan is a poison pill, gives Stone the last laugh. Too bad the Wolves now have the biggest interstellar fleet (Something like 12 Warships) now that they have both their own ships and CJF's, so no one is going to be able to finish them off.

EDIT: In gooder news, seems like Shrapnel submissions are moving along again, went from 49 to 45 in the queue position. :toot:

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 14, 2022

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Something about the Clans fantasizing about being ilClan for a hundred years and finally achieving their dream, only to realize that no one other than them gives a gently caress is immensely hilarious to me. It's only now that they have conquered Earth and have their little brass crown that they realize that to 99% of the Inner Sphere, Terra has ceased to be anything other than the name of a planet in some far distant system that no one really cares about, and no one is going to magically bend a knee to them just because they have a pretty bauble to place on their mantle.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Rorahusky posted:

Something about the Clans fantasizing about being ilClan for a hundred years and finally achieving their dream, only to realize that no one other than them gives a gently caress is immensely hilarious to me. It's only now that they have conquered Earth and have their little brass crown that they realize that to 99% of the Inner Sphere, Terra has ceased to be anything other than the name of a planet in some far distant system that no one really cares about, and no one is going to magically bend a knee to them just because they have a pretty bauble to place on their mantle.

I mean, its not like there are clear instructions like "whoever conquers Terra officially and holds it for a year is now the big clan in charge of all the other clans" or whatever. Two idiots decided to trial over it, and didn't invite anyone else to the party, thusly the Hell's Horses reject it. The CJF remnants reject it because they think Malvina was an idiot anyway and the Merchant Jade Falcons reject it because they don't want to Live In A Society anymore. Should be zero surprise the Spheroids don't care.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Does anyone know if there's a miniature or .stl for the MechWarrior 4 Vulture, with the chin turret? I know the Mk IV vaugely has it but that model is a bloated mess otherwise.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

raverrn posted:

Does anyone know if there's a miniature or .stl for the MechWarrior 4 Vulture, with the chin turret? I know the Mk IV vaugely has it but that model is a bloated mess otherwise.

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-mad-dog-prime-aka-vulture-for-battletech-105382

No chin turret though :(

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Vulture Mk III is very close to what you're looking for. Not exact (too many missiles) but very close.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

raverrn posted:

Dunno if this is an .stl, but I figured I’d try

https://3dmixers.com/m/118374-mechwarrior-4-vulture-from-opening-scene

The new vulture sculpt has the turret but no guns mounted.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

This guy's sculpts are v cool but I don't think any of them are pre-supported and I'm v bad and doing supports apparently.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So Catalyst continues to re-release old Dark Age novels. They recently re-released Surrender Your Dreams, which is probably one of the best Dark Age novels and was really the first one to get the Republic's hands super dirty.

Interestingly enough, the original release had an epilog that has since been contradicted. Initially, the online release included the epilog, but they revised it within an hour and cut out the offending 11 pages. Kinda lame, just let people have more story.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

An epilogue that exists only to assure you that the Republic survives win that 100% does not happen probably doesn't need to exist, especially when it's been non-canon for like a decade.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It was a better future

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If they wanted WoB to win they would have done it in '79. And the Republic itself was just a grease trap of a faction, runoff of other ideas with nothing original. It never needed to exist.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 24, 2022

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

If they wanted WoB to win they would have done it in '79. And the Republic itself was just a grease trap of a faction, runoff of other ideas with nothing original. It never needed to exist.

What's interesting is that the original Wizkids plan was for the Republic to crumble apart and die after Grey Monday. Fan interest convinced them to change their mind and create it as its own faction that could fight for its survival.

I think the idea of the Republic as an attempt by the people of the Inner Sphere to put an end to constant noble squabbles that kept leading to billions of deaths, and take charge was a cool one. Unfortunately since it didn't behead every single noble and start fresh it was doomed to fail in that regard.

I'll keep playing my ROTS armies in clix when I get the chance.

General Battuta posted:

It was a better future

Agreed.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
space balls globalism sucks

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
republic of my balls

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

What's interesting is that the original Wizkids plan was for the Republic to crumble apart and die after Grey Monday. Fan interest convinced them to change their mind and create it as its own faction that could fight for its survival.

I think the idea of the Republic as an attempt by the people of the Inner Sphere to put an end to constant noble squabbles that kept leading to billions of deaths, and take charge was a cool one. Unfortunately since it didn't behead every single noble and start fresh it was doomed to fail in that regard.

I'll keep playing my ROTS armies in clix when I get the chance.

Agreed.

"The people of the Inner Sphere" weren't making any decisions, unless you think they voted for that ethnic cleansing. It was one guy and his handpicked coterie of military leaders. And when the Legislature tried to actually exercise power they were all put to the sword. It's less of a "republic" than either the Commonwealth or League, which furthers my point that the Republic had no original ideas.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 24, 2022

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

"The people of the Inner Sphere" weren't making any decisions, unless you think they voted for that ethnic cleansing. It was one guy and his handpicked coterie of military leaders. And when the Legislature tried to actually exercise power they were all put to the sword. It's less of a "republic" than either the Commonwealth or League, which furthers my point that the Republic had no original ideas.

Devlin Stone was the #1 most popular leader of the Sphere by the end of the Jihad. Military units from other militaries were flocking to his banners, as were huge numbers of volunteers. One of the reasons, stated in the fiction ,that most of the leaders of the Great Houses went along with most of his silly plans were they were afraid of being torn apart by their own people for not agreeing.

He definitely had the popular support, he just smashed the holdouts with the massive military support he had accumulated in a 1-2 punch.

And the Republic Legislature (Senate) exercised plenty of power, including defeating several bills Stone and then Redburn were for. They got neutered when it turned out many of its members were part of a conspiracy to usurp the Exarch-role with sponsored knights, also assassinating a Paladin.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

So who voted for the ethnic cleansing? I don't think anyone wanted to be forcibly resettled. Surely assassinating one Republic noble (the Paladins) is okay since you were all for lopping everyone's head off a minute ago. If they truly are a powerful representative body, surely they represent the will of the people.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 24, 2022

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

I like having permanent status quo changes that aren't just "back to 3025" :(

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

General Battuta posted:

I like having permanent status quo changes that aren't just "back to 3025" :(

thats the ticket. They want to have an endless meta plot but they also want to not...have one?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
nostalgia’s a bitch

also it takes about 20 years for a teen to go have a life, crank out a kid or two, and then finally have enough disposable time and income again to play with little metal men on a board, so hey, old is the new new

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

So who voted for the ethnic cleansing? I don't think anyone wanted to be forcibly resettled.

You are moving goalposts. First you argued the Republic was a military junta with zero popular support, that crushed its Senate as soon as it uttered a peep, now you are complaining about the ethnic cleansing/re-settlement programs of the Republic. Those are different things.

quote:

Surely assassinating one Republic noble (the Paladins) is okay since you were all for lopping everyone's head off a minute ago. If they truly are a powerful representative body, surely they represent the will of the people.

Assassinating a political figure in order to cover up corruption is very different from nobles being forced to stop running around with private armies to fight wars whenever they want to via threat of violence.

edited to be nicer.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 25, 2022

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

House Liao is an interesting exception as I don't think it's that popular but the devs decided to let their leaders play smart for a half-century and now they're top Inner Sphere dawg (Probably to make up for the whole 4th Succession War fiasco).

Liao was nothing but mustache-twirling one-dimensional bad guys in every Stackpole book. Double Blind was refreshing when Sun-Tzu was shown to be a shrewd leader who was actually looking to the future of his realm, not just gnashing his teeth and wailing "Damned DAVIONS!".

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Unfortunately, everything else about Double Blind was awful.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Saw a meme from some Battletech Grognards saying "I want to fight whoever made Mechwarrior: Dark Age SO MUCH I HATE IT!"

So I said, you want to fight Jordan Weisman? Because that's how you fight Jordan Weisman.

Also, it's been 20 years, grow up.

Grognards, never even once.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
The grog thing reminded me of how I got into the game. I'm a weird case of having some familiarity with Battletech as a franchise, first through MechWarrior 2 on PC but never playing the OG boardgame at all. I picked up a copy of TRO 3055 from a Media Play on a sale and got into the fiction. That same Media Play was where I bought my first BT novel, Wolves On The Border and from there I got hooked into the fluff but there weren't any BT mini players around for me at the time.

so it ended up the first miniature game I really played a lot was MWDA since a lot of players I knew personally had come over from Heroclix and Mage Knight. So I wander over to the official forums and see grog posts about DORK AGE (got em) and just had to laugh.

In the current day, a number of my old MWDA player buddies and I are now into Alpha Strike for our game times and I'm so glad there's new relatively cheap plastic minis.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

PoptartsNinja posted:

Unfortunately, everything else about Double Blind was awful.

Nah. It was a nice break from Victor and his buddies save the world from the evil Space Japanese yet again.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

This time it's the evil Space Chinese!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

PhotoKirk posted:

Nah. It was a nice break from Victor and his buddies save the world from the evil Space Japanese yet again.

Wait, you're right. Double Blind was Coleman's best work starring Avanti's Angels and one of the better BattleTech novels in general.

I was thinking of Binding Force, the awful novel about Arris Sung fighting a bunch of vaguely human-shaped cardboard cutouts. My bad.